Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scandalous posted:

sorry the correct answer to fistfighting challenges is Igni
If the game lets you use igni. I definitely wanted to slice up the guy at the High Stakes Gwent tournament but the game wouldnt let me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do we know when the next free DLC pack is coming out? I'm really curious about the Wolf School armor.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Do we know when the next free DLC pack is coming out? I'm really curious about the Wolf School armor.
Probably tomorrow, I think the previous DLCs all were released on Wednesdays?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scandalous posted:

Probably tomorrow, I think the previous DLCs all were released on Wednesdays?

Okay, that makes sense. I haven't really noticed when the previous DLCs came out, weirdly enough. Thanks.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

That's why you play Nilfgaard, use those healers to revive the spies the opponent used and hopefully draw some spies yourself.
If you play Nilfgaard and you draw neither medics nor decoys nor spies, there's some black magic at play.
Also, RE: fistfights, it really helped me to challenge those dudes at the Kaer Trolde feast over and over (where you can win Hjalmar's sword). Once you learn to anticipate and parry those quick jabs, you're set (for most opponents anyway).

I've had really bad luck with the RNG when it comes to Nilfguard cards. I want to play it because its so spy heavy but goddamnit, all the spies seem to drop from random merchant games and I've cleaned out all my available players at this point. :sigh:

I have a pretty full Skoiatel deck, though. :downs:

Off to Skelliga to hunt Gwent cards!

And find Ciri...I guess

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snuffman posted:

Off to Skelliga to hunt Gwent cards!

And find Ciri...I guess

Yennefer was waiting for me at that magic cataclysm site for a very, very long time. I was in no hurry either. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
We'd all be completely hosed if the main campaign was on a timer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I'm level 21 or 22 and my current main quest is Yennifer waiting at the cataclysm which is a level 13 quest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

poptart_fairy posted:

I am constantly conflicted because I am all "I should actually try to find Ciri!" because they make it rather obvious that it is really important to Geralt, Yen, and Emyhr that she is found. But then I think "but I need to do these sidequests before I overlevel them too much! And they are right there"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I missed out on the awesome Emhyr card (the one that lets you pull a card from enemy discard pile) since I went and lost to Sasha in the tournament, and well, I don't feel like save-scumming quest related matters so I went on my way with the quest. Only later learned that's where I'm supposed to get it.

Kinda hurts my Gwenting now since I've switched to using mostly Nilfgaard instead of Northern realms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's kind of the trouble with open-world RPGs. It's a very long main quest chain to find Ciri and you have it from the very beginning of the game. They imply that every moment you delay puts her and potentially the whole world in more danger. But, as if Geralt somehow knows the world will wait for him, he's totally fine with taking his sweet time killing monsters for every crying peasant he comes across.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Azazell0 posted:

I missed out on the awesome Emhyr card (the one that lets you pull a card from enemy discard pile) since I went and lost to Sasha in the tournament, and well, I don't feel like save-scumming quest related matters so I went on my way with the quest. Only later learned that's where I'm supposed to get it.

Kinda hurts my Gwenting now since I've switched to using mostly Nilfgaard instead of Northern realms.

If I didn't savescum Gwent I probably wouldn't have any cards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: ^:hfive:^

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah I wish you got to pick a Gwent deck when you talk to that scholar at the beginning of the game - I probably would have gone Nilfgaard. It also sucks that so many good cards are locked behind quests (a bunch of the spies, for example), so it takes a while to get some of the better cards. Additionally, a lot of cards are random draws after you beat people...I would have been really sad if I did not get my Villentretmerth till I was halfway through Skellige.
I would have liked it if you could go to a merchant to buy some good cards/leaders but could earn actual unique cards through tournaments (thus things like Geralt or Ciri would be unique and half the people you fight wouldnt drop them on you).

edit2: I also would like it if heroes did more. Like Triss is a 7 strength melee hero. That is bad. She should have a horn, or scorch the enemy ranged line, or remove a card from the enemy discard pile (so it cant be necro'd with a medic). Or have that skill that gives everything else in the line +1 strength.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 16, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

"Hey how about I put up one whole crown for this match and if I win I take your cards"
"SOUNDS GREAT WHITE WOLF BTW DID I MENTION PAM PAAAAM PARAAAAM"

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are there any mods or any way possible to unlock other romance-able genders?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

not yet, but you should probably be able to romance Rock Trolls before long

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

turtlecrunch posted:

I loved when I was at the Vegelbud estate with Triss doing some kickass sorceress espionage and decided to play that one-time guy while I was there. Every time you lose he offers to let you go again and you'd think after game 10 he'd be like OKAY GOD I'M NOT GONNA GIVE YOU THE CARD JUST GO AWAY.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

I wonder how this is possible. Did you skip all the dialogues or didn't bother with most of the side quests/witcher contracts/witcher set missions?

Even howlongtobeat.com lists the main story alone as 39 hours on average.

I didn't do any sidequests and played about 3 games of gwent before I gave up on it.

I also never visited any ? spots on the map, unless I passed one and it was easy to take. I passed many and left them behind. I used about 3 places of power the entire game and was level 28 when I finished.

My plan was to rush the story, then someday down the future, when the games not being patched weekly and there's actually good mods out, I'll play through it again, much more sidequest intensive. It was exactly how I played Skyrim and I had a blast in that.

edit: also whenever anyone asked me for a favor, I'd say no

I also got no doubt the worst ending you can get. My entire ending was flashbacks of people shaking their head at me

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I salute the modder who spends the inordinate amount of time needed to animate those cut scenes.

All NEW merchants I meet and challenge to a game of gwent, no longer give me cards at all, but I didn't fulfill the quest. is it a bug? i am sure that I do not have all the cards yet.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a witcher who doesnt do witcher contracts, of course I'm going to take the money. Dont look at me that way!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You've asked a similar question before I believe and the answer again is no, unfortunately Geralt and Dandelion are just friends.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Are other people finding blacksmiths in general really buggy? Most that I come across are noninteractive unless I meditate for an hour first, but for a couple smith that's not a guaranteed fix. Some smiths won't even appear in their designated spot during the day hours unless I rest.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

moot the hopple posted:

Are other people finding blacksmiths in general really buggy? Most that I come across are noninteractive unless I meditate for an hour first, but for a couple smith that's not a guaranteed fix. Some smiths won't even appear in their designated spot during the day hours unless I rest.

There are a few scattered throughout the towns that can be pretty tricky. I mostly used the smiths in Novigrad/Master Smiths though and never had a problem. The Weapon Smith in the fishmarket won't show up sometimes though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I fast-travel to Crow's Perch for all possible merchant interactions because those guys are always there and they are right next to each other. The only superior merchant place would have them right next to each other and not require a horse ride from the fast travel post.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whoever suggested the Claywich vendor for cards, thanks. He had several that I needed, but I'm still missing some. At this point I'm not sure what I've missed so I'm going to have to follow that checklist I guess.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

TheTrend posted:

There are a few scattered throughout the towns that can be pretty tricky. I mostly used the smiths in Novigrad/Master Smiths though and never had a problem. The Weapon Smith in the fishmarket won't show up sometimes though.

In my experience, if you give the area some actual real life time to load, the vendors become active. Blacksmiths and Armorers do seem to be the worst about this, though.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Madcosby posted:

I also got no doubt the worst ending you can get. My entire ending was flashbacks of people shaking their head at me
This is pretty much how my life turned out

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

REDkit is the set of modding tools that CDPR are going to release that will allow basically any sort of mod that you can think of if you have the skill to make them. They haven't specified a release date, but have stated that it definitely won't be until after all of the free DLC is released.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Thunderbro posted:

the most striking "this dude is an autist" moment is when geralt slaughters all those people in the bar and then tries to help some girl up like he isn't a terrifying blood-caked psycopath

From a couple pages back, but this is my favourite, especially on account of the girl he tries to help up being the one who started the loving fight by smashing the innkeeper's head against the bar repeatedly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

From a couple pages back, but this is my favourite, especially on account of the girl he tries to help up being the one who started the loving fight by smashing the innkeeper's head against the bar repeatedly.

Hey I was just trying to stop them bashing her head against the bar, they're the ones that pulled their swords out :shrug:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm doing the quest Get Junior. My current two objectives are Meet Roche by the bridge in Oxenfurt and Search the arena for information about Whoreson. The latter objective is my active one. When I press the button to view the objective on the map, it zooms to Oxenfurt where I'm supposed to do the other objective.

Any ideas?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 17, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The conclusion to the "Possession" quest is... interesting.

So, I chose the trick method. Okay, sure, Geralt didn't kill a baby. I knew that going in. But he did just kill three men who were only trying to defend the life of an innocent child. That's... pretty hosed up. I thought that would be clever and avoid too much bloodshed, but apparently it's pretty awful.

Kind of tempted to do it the other way now. Jeez.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

You probably missed some at a vendor then and have all the random cards. Check innkeeps and there's a Person in Distress merchant you need to free who will return to Claywich Village in the middle of Velen. I missed him and a lot of people seem to, he sells a copy of the 10-strength Nilf archer and healer archer and a Crinfrid Dragon Reaver.

Innkeeps have most of the cards for sale, plus a couple random merchants in central Velen.
That guy in the cage is still bugged and impossible to free for me :(

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So the greedy god quest, who fought the pig demon thingy? I told the corpulent demon pig "Accept the measly offerings until the war is over or die" and that was that.. who fought him? I wanted to know what creature it was.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So the greedy god quest, who fought the pig demon thingy? I told the corpulent demon pig "Accept the measly offerings until the war is over or die" and that was that.. who fought him? I wanted to know what creature it was.

It shows up in your Bestiary so you can know exactly what kind of creature it is.

Harrow posted:

The conclusion to the "Possession" quest is... interesting.

So, I chose the trick method. Okay, sure, Geralt didn't kill a baby. I knew that going in. But he did just kill three men who were only trying to defend the life of an innocent child. That's... pretty hosed up. I thought that would be clever and avoid too much bloodshed, but apparently it's pretty awful.

Kind of tempted to do it the other way now. Jeez.

You don't have to kill them. There's no way to know it, but apparently that section is on a timer, and if you just defend yourself until it runs out, the trick will be revealed and you haven't just murdered three people for doing the right thing.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 17, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

me your dad posted:

I'm doing the quest Get Junior. My current two objectives are Meet Roche by the bridge in Oxenfurt and Search the arena for information about Whoreson. The latter objective is my active one. When I press the button to view the objective on the map, it zooms to Oxenfurt where I'm supposed to do the other objective.

Any ideas?

Press V in-game (so, not in the map) and it will change which current objective you're tracking. I discovered this by accident, and as far as I can tell it's not mentioned anywhere. We need a :CDPR: emote.

Also, going in more about this will probably be spoilers. Doing one part of this quest won't stop you from doing the other, so maybe go see Roche first.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Total longshot, but does anyone have a save file for Witcher 3 right around where you meet Roche, say 20 or so hours in? I just had to reformat and GOG Galaxy apparently does not do cloud saves like Steam...

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I think the first time I got a multi-direction quest, there was a prompt that told me to switch objectives using V

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rycalawre posted:

Any hints for fighting poo poo tons of wraiths at once on death march? Doing Family Matters, all constantly teleporting around me from different directions and stunlocking me, I absolutely cannot do it at all.

Wraiths are glass cannons, you have to start killing them or they will eventually all teleport attack together and stunlock you. Moon dust will stop them from going incorporeal. Yrden too obviously. Don't dodge backwards from their teleport attack since it's a three-hit combo.

Wraiths are also very susceptible to stagger. Seriously the best way to deal with a group of them is to just go after the nearest one and spam fast attack at it before they can converge on you. Rinse and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

Press V in-game (so, not in the map) and it will change which current objective you're tracking. I discovered this by accident, and as far as I can tell it's not mentioned anywhere. We need a :CDPR: emote.

Also, going in more about this will probably be spoilers. Doing one part of this quest won't stop you from doing the other, so maybe go see Roche first.

The V thing is definitely mentioned on PC.

I love this game so much. The only bone I have to pick with it is the Witcher 2 path they chose to structure the game on. I feel like the path where Geralt goes after Letho and Triss makes a lot more sense than him going the Roche path. All his motivations in the plot seem to lie with Letho and Triss. Can anyone remind me on what Geralt is trying to accomplish by going with Roche? It's been a long time since I chose his path. Thanks :)