Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

frajaq posted:

Yeah, some mods need to change that file

Cool, thanks.

I guess what I'll ask now is what mods I should run. This may or may not come as a surprise, but last time I ran through New Vegas, I played it without mods (save for this interface mod, which I later dropped when I couldn't get the delay patch to work, probably because of the way I installed it).

I have some in mind already. I'd like to try and get the interface mod from above working properly. I also wanted to try this Pip-Boy replacement (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38844/).

Someone suggested these two mods (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45557/ & http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51983/) to make a Legion play-through more interesting.

Quest mods are what I'm interested in at the moment. New Vegas Bounties is the only one I'm familiar with, though it's the one that seems to be the most recommended.

Lastly, a question about the Better Game Performance and NVAC mods. Do either of those address the crash you get when exiting the game?

EDIT: I was also looking for a mod to keep the Courier's Stash equipment from being dumped into my inventory. I found two (Courier's Stash Integration and Courier's Stash Pack Selector.) Which of the two is recommended/works better? I know you can disable the DLC via Steam, but I want to keep it active in case I try the jsawyer mod.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I remember reading about a mod that expanded the console functionality and made it where you can search stuff like in skyrim. Anyone know what the name of the is?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone here tried out Powered Power Armor? It seems interesting, gives Power Armor various upgrades, sidegrades, and so on. Sort of makes me wonder if it was the inspiration for some of the Fallout 4 powered armor stuff.

Anyone have firsthand impressions?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

khy posted:

Anyone here tried out Powered Power Armor? It seems interesting, gives Power Armor various upgrades, sidegrades, and so on. Sort of makes me wonder if it was the inspiration for some of the Fallout 4 powered armor stuff.

Anyone have firsthand impressions?

I really like it. It treats power armor like....well, power armor. You need to either get a model with a nuclear reactor (or modify your suit to use one) or keep topping it up with rechargeable ceramic ultracapacitors, fission batteries, or energy weapon ammo. It gives you a cool voiceover that lets you know when you're overheating or running out of power and new HUD elements if you have the right UI mods. It expands on the repair system, so you're left stripping parts off of dead users to keep your suit in prime condition. And of course, all the neat upgrades. It even has an overclocking system where you risk overheating your armor in exchange for activating certain upgrades.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

It expands on the repair system, so you're left stripping parts off of dead users to keep your suit in prime condition.

This seems like it could be awesome or awful. Mainly because there are few power armor users outside of the BoS so the spare parts seem like they'd be rare as hell.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: I was also looking for a mod to keep the Courier's Stash equipment from being dumped into my inventory. I found two (Courier's Stash Integration and Courier's Stash Pack Selector.) Which of the two is recommended/works better? I know you can disable the DLC via Steam, but I want to keep it active in case I try the jsawyer mod.

JSawyer itself dumps the couriers Stash items to a few locations across the wasteland instead of your inventory, so consider just using that instead of either of the mods you linked. I would only start using JSawyer on a new game anyway, so if if you really don't want the gear and aren't already using JSawyer, I would just disable the .ESMs from the load order, or simply sell the stuff to Doc Mitchel before you walk out his door and forget about them.

I haven't used either of the mods you linked (since I use JSawyer) so I can't speak to their quality. The pack selector might be useful to you if you opt to not use JSawyer, but want to run some other mod that requires the Couriers Stash modules as master files. The integration mod appears to make changes to the gear itself though, which raises questions about compatibility... which I guess is why it has 14 loving files to choose from. That one seems like more trouble than it's worth.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

khy posted:

This seems like it could be awesome or awful. Mainly because there are few power armor users outside of the BoS so the spare parts seem like they'd be rare as hell.

To give a different opinion on PPA, it breaks various FOV settings and disables zooming with right mouse so I hate it.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I quite like PPA myself; I always use it.

khy posted:

You can buy various power armour parts, and it adds some power-armour users to other factions. There's also the ever-useful Jury-Rigging perk, and personally I use Armour Repair Kits. (Disclosure: ARK is one of my mods.)

BurritoJustice posted:

To give a different opinion on PPA, it breaks various FOV settings and disables zooming with right mouse so I hate it.

Fortunately you can disable those things in its config menu. Actually PPA is what I use to set a decent FOV (95, from memory), and I disable all the other vision-related settings.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I love NV and FO3 wasn't bad, and I just now heard about that mod to put the two of them together and it put me in a real mood to play them so I'm installing both right now! The FAQ and stuff don't really list incompatibility problems though, for the most part though there's only one mod I really care about and that's the RobCo. Certified mod for New Vegas, does that work with Tale of Two Wastelands? Or does anyone know even?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Nuebot posted:

So I love NV and FO3 wasn't bad, and I just now heard about that mod to put the two of them together and it put me in a real mood to play them so I'm installing both right now! The FAQ and stuff don't really list incompatibility problems though, for the most part though there's only one mod I really care about and that's the RobCo. Certified mod for New Vegas, does that work with Tale of Two Wastelands? Or does anyone know even?

Worth a shot. Just about any New Vegas mod automatically works in TTW, barring incompatibilities they already have with other NV mods. I haven't tried RobCo myself in my TTW install since the time I tried it in my regular NV install, my robots kept going hostile on me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

There was a compatibility patch so I grabbed that. So any mod works then? Neat, time to go shopping around then since my game seems to be mostly stable so far. Finished the intro segment at least, I don't know if anything changed majorly with TTW or not but I was wrecking those cops with the bat. Time to grab Fellout then, however.

I might bumrush the train station though so I can do the new vegas DLC before my hoarding blocks off half of them due to inventory.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Now, this question might seem silly, but why is there a Dunmer in Vault 101?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I apparently forgot to install a retexture pack for the player characters face, I was quite struck by ugly when I tried to start my Tale of Two Wastelands playthrough last night. I installed New Vegas Redesigned and Fallout 3 Beauty Project (I think) but I guess that only affects NPCs. What's a PC face mod that plays well with TTW and those mods?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I forgot how lovely the general terrain/pathways in this game are with the huge gently caress off walls around everything in vegas.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nuebot posted:

I might bumrush the train station though so I can do the new vegas DLC before my hoarding blocks off half of them due to inventory.

Be warned, there are a bunch of super mutants in the train station area. By default all super mutants have NV stats, so they're a lot tougher than they were in actual FO3.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I apparently forgot to install a retexture pack for the player characters face, I was quite struck by ugly when I tried to start my Tale of Two Wastelands playthrough last night. I installed New Vegas Redesigned and Fallout 3 Beauty Project (I think) but I guess that only affects NPCs. What's a PC face mod that plays well with TTW and those mods?

New Vegas Redesigned 3 requires Fallout Character Overhaul which affects your PC. So, uh, use that if you're using NVR3.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

GrizzlyCow posted:

New Vegas Redesigned 3 requires Fallout Character Overhaul which affects your PC. So, uh, use that if you're using NVR3.

Thanks, I must have missed that when installing it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Now, this question might seem silly, but why is there a Dunmer in Vault 101?

Rivet City just wasn't accepting enough of their ways.

Internet Wizard posted:

Be warned, there are a bunch of super mutants in the train station area. By default all super mutants have NV stats, so they're a lot tougher than they were in actual FO3.

Terrifying, I'm sure my level one character and his amazing bat can take them on! :suicide: I think I've modded the game about as much as I want to for now though. Fellout, WMX and Robco and I'm pretty happy unless there's anything not listed in the OP or the TTW guide that's especially neat anyone knows of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stick with New Vegas Redesigned 2. Less obtrusive and more options, as well as significantly fewer rapey changes.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
OK, I'm having a weird issue. I've been using Mod Organizer and decided to update the textures with the Wasteland Hires Clothing textures from the OP as well as NMC's texture pack. The problem is that none of the armors are updated with new textures, and now Powder Gangers have weird black bars across their chest. It seems that some of the NMC textures have updated, but some others like the sign in Goodsprings hasn't. I've made sure that MO has "auto archive invalidation" checked to enable in MO. Anybody have any idea what else might be causing this or how I can fix it?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Holybat posted:

OK, I'm having a weird issue. I've been using Mod Organizer and decided to update the textures with the Wasteland Hires Clothing textures from the OP as well as NMC's texture pack. The problem is that none of the armors are updated with new textures, and now Powder Gangers have weird black bars across their chest. It seems that some of the NMC textures have updated, but some others like the sign in Goodsprings hasn't. I've made sure that MO has "auto archive invalidation" checked to enable in MO. Anybody have any idea what else might be causing this or how I can fix it?

MO is pretty odd with archive invalidation for at least New Vegas. The simplest solution I've found is to go to the Archives tab (near where the plugins part is), and uncheck everything listed in there. Then launch the game, and either wait for it to crash, or wait until you get to the main menu and then find a way to close it (I normally use Task Manager for it). When you go back to MO, all of the archives/BSA should be rechecked, and when you go back into the game, the textures should all be showing up correctly.

edit: Also make sure you don't have anything overwriting any meshes from your body mods if you're using one.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stick with New Vegas Redesigned 2. Less obtrusive and more options, as well as significantly fewer rapey changes.

I would like NVR3 a lot better if Draconis kept his weird dead titty and rape fetishism out of his mod. Beyond that, I quite like it.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Drugs make you black, all right. (NVR3) :laffo:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my plans to rush to the NV wasteland got waylaid by deathclaws. A bunch of outcasts were fighting some near the vault and blew up one of their own dudes to kill it, so I've been lugging around his power armor. There were a swarm of deathclaws around the Super Duper Market too. I don't know if this ever happens in the normal game or if TTW did some horrible magic.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I do remember fighting a Deathclaw at Super Duper Mart in the vanilla game. I might be just a random encounter.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As I recall, it's a fairly rare random encounter. There should be a dead guy nearby with the schematics and ingredients for the Deathclaw Gauntlet.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Same thing happened to me, it's part of a random encounter called Wounded Deathclaw:

Nukapedia posted:

A wounded deathclaw stalking a wastelander. The wastelander carries schematics - deathclaw gauntlet, and is dead when you get to him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neat I guess I'll have to run back and find out if that corpse is still there. I got my first CTD though, Moira's shop. Hopefully it works when I try again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Smol posted:

(NVR3) :laffo:

Brainamp posted:

"I wanted him to look evil, so I gave him a tattoo and a goatee."

Also the whole racism and sexism thing the guy has going on is just really creepy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah don't use the Redesigned/Beauty mods, they are terrible.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Yeah don't use the Redesigned/Beauty mods, they are terrible.
FO3 Redesigned & NV Redesigned 2 are decent. It's NV Redesigned 3 that's creepy & poo poo.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
TTW is getting pretty :argh:. Trying to get to the tunnel to start Broken Steel, but traveling there is not going well. Every time I get close to the train yard by Tenpenny Towers the game just tanks until CTD.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Where does the [Redundant] FN Scar come from? It's bad rear end and I've been using it for a while but have never found the mods for it (Scope, LAM, Silencer) and have decided to give up and just console the mods but I'm not having any luck.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Where does the [Redundant] FN Scar come from? It's bad rear end and I've been using it for a while but have never found the mods for it (Scope, LAM, Silencer) and have decided to give up and just console the mods but I'm not having any luck.
[Redundant] weapons are disused and there would be no existing mod items for them

We'd have deleted/replaced them with clones of proper weapons by 3.0, but TA stopped development entirely and Naky slashed and burned everything.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

[Redundant] weapons are disused and there would be no existing mod items for them

We'd have deleted/replaced them with clones of proper weapons by 3.0, but TA stopped development entirely and Naky slashed and burned everything.

That's depressing. :smith:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Pretty happy with how my current character have turned out so far.

For those interested, I'm using the Full_Leather_Jacket armor, the hat is from the NCR Trooper Overhaul, though it's also available from the Courier's Cache.
The scarf is available from both Tailor Maid and Satchels, and the weird straps that are clipping through my character's legs are the (handy) leg bags, also from Satchels.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And what gun is that?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LoonShia posted:

And what gun is that?

and enb/visual setup, tyia

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

LoonShia posted:

And what gun is that?

It's the recharger rifle with a couple of weapon mods added, courtesy of Convergence. Not sure why it's red, but I think Convergence did that too. I'm not gonna complain, that's for sure. I love t the look that gun, too bad it gets outclassed so fast :(

Gyshall posted:

and enb/visual setup, tyia

I'm running the Enhanced Shaders for Nevada Skies ENB. Pretty happy with it so far, though I'm considering removing the Depth of Field effect.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 18, 2015

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Sylink posted:

I forgot how lovely the general terrain/pathways in this game are with the huge gently caress off walls around everything in vegas.

Mod that poo poo out, just be prepared to turn off clipping once in awhile when you get stuck in someplace that ought not exist. On the plus side you get some spectacular views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Back in ~2012 I got 50 hours into F:NV before savegame corruption driven loading-screen freezes became unbearable. Most discussions of that problem state "don't overwrite saves, make new ones", but that's what I was doing (I've got individual saves named up to 177, apparently...).

It sounds like using quicksave can still corrupt your regular save files, though, which is why CASM exists? Is that accurate? I definitely abuse the heck out of quicksaving, in between all the manual saving.

Mostly just want a confirmation of "yes, the consensus is never ever hit F5, it is a major cause of over-time savegame corruption" before I start over w/ CASM enabled. Seriously don't want to spend another 50 hours only to have the same problem crop up :gonk:

Why no, I'm definitely not looking into this because of all the Fallout 4 hype recently. Of course not.