Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dareon posted:

Well, I'm signed up for random berserker risk certainty. :getin:

Just need to dig out my PSX copy. It's been on the order of 10-15 years since I played last, I think.

One question, though: I get what's meant by 750 mode, but what are you guys talking about with breaking rods? It sounds like you're talking about what I always called itemcasting, using the rod as an item, but I was under the impression anyone could do that no matter their class (Except berserker, for obvious reasons).
You have to be able to equip the weapon in order to do that. So classes that can't equip rods in the first place can't break them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

You have to be able to equip the rod to use it as an item.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Get to level 16 or so and you should have just enough damage to do about half of her HP (325) and then, in one go, do it again (so as not to summon Forza at all).

Yessssssss, did it at level 9: bought 99 potions and waited out Magissa's MP, then just traded shots with Forza (two potions for a regular hit and three for a tackle) until he went down.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

Yessssssss, did it at level 9: bought 99 potions and waited out Magissa's MP, then just traded shots with Forza (two potions for a regular hit and three for a tackle) until he went down.

Yeah, if you're not interested in leveling, it's plenty doable earlier. 16 is where you can guarantee no Forza though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Okay so I moved cross-state and have been doing really boring things like buying lawn mowers and unpacking boxes and such but I sort of have free time now and decided to register! Hoping to do multiple runs so the first one will just be normal.

Also holy poo poo at the donations recently :stare:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I am the join of this. Regular run, no major changes. Intend to make a Fartz

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Kemix posted:

I am the join of this. Regular run, no major changes. Intend to make a Fartz

Welcome, fellow Fartzian.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Pieuvre posted:

Welcome, fellow Fartzian.
Personally I prefer "Fartzcore"

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Well, in celebration of that awesome donation I added berserker risk to my run. This'll be my second fiesta and first time with risk. Wonder if I can beat it with berserkers without going insane?

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

Jack Van Burace posted:

Well, in celebration of that awesome donation I added berserker risk to my run. This'll be my second fiesta and first time with risk. Wonder if I can beat it with berserkers without going insane?

I did a run with 1 and it was okay. Two is going to be interesting but I'm Chaos so it depends on what the other jobs are. Like, if any job is chemist, you're done and fine. Ninja with berserkers is pretty awesome. Anything that can break rods is not gonna get stuck. Even Dancer offers a decent opportunity because if you can control someone you can lamp one part and 50 percent chicken blade sword dance for modest damage while the berserkers wear ribbons and look pretty. If you're 4 berserkers or one of the Chaos configurations which forces you to 4 berserker the sandworm, just job fair. Better to job fair and do more runs than try to berserker sandworm AND cannon.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
4 or even 3 Zerker with a bad job on Sandworm is going to be straight fun. Team Fart.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So after some research it *seems* like Blue Mage is sort of the objective "best" job for the wind crystal (correct me if I'm wrong) but what are the reliable was to confuse enemies into casting positive blue magics on you?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
White Mage (and Red Mage) have access to Confuse magic, and Beastmaster has Control. Otherwise you're left with a Dancer trying to dance Tempting Tango or waiting until Moogle Village to get the Dancing Dagger.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Dropped a small donation this way as well.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of berserkers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

blakelmenakle posted:

White Mage (and Red Mage) have access to Confuse magic, and Beastmaster has Control. Otherwise you're left with a Dancer trying to dance Tempting Tango or waiting until Moogle Village to get the Dancing Dagger.

Bard has a song that confuses every enemy.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

ultrafilter posted:

Bard has a song that confuses every enemy.

I knew I was forgetting something.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Just as a benchmark, what's a reasonable level range for beating Neo Exdeath/also killing the superbosses? I've been running around with a practice run, having not played this game in years, and my characters are currently around level 40 before heading into the Rift. The lineup I rolled has been Thief/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dragoon, and at least thus far I've been able to kill everything in the optional dungeons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

Just as a benchmark, what's a reasonable level range for beating Neo Exdeath/also killing the superbosses? I've been running around with a practice run, having not played this game in years, and my characters are currently around level 40 before heading into the Rift. The lineup I rolled has been Thief/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dragoon, and at least thus far I've been able to kill everything in the optional dungeons.

Low 30s, specially with spellblade powered chicken mugging and beastmaster shenanigans in that team. Some teams might need to be in the 40s for Almagest purposes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

40-50 is optimal, but I think 30 is about the minimum in terms of average play or tanking Almagests.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NGDBSS posted:

For what it's worth, that team will probably actually have difficulty with Omega and Shinryu. You'd basically need to rely on Thundaga Spellblade Jumping for your damage output (to avoid his 95% Evade), and in the meantime you're getting ruined by his entire AI loop (which sucks rear end).

Shinryu will just be throwing repetitions at it, since you'd ideally want only one person reflected (probably the Dragoon?) and you need to hope that your released Mammon hits them with Berserk which reflects to Shinryu.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

For what it's worth, that team will probably actually have difficulty with Omega and Shinryu. You'd basically need to rely on Thundaga Spellblade Jumping for your damage output (to avoid his 95% Evade), and in the meantime you're getting ruined by his entire AI loop (which sucks rear end).

Shinryu will just be throwing repetitions at it, since you'd ideally want only one person reflected (probably the Dragoon?) and you need to hope that your released Mammon hits them with Berserk which reflects to Shinryu.

He has a beastmaster so Omega shouldn't be the slightest bit of a problem while he thundaga chicken mugs him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

He has a beastmaster so Omega shouldn't be the slightest bit of a problem while he thundaga chicken mugs him.

Note to self, no more Fiesta thread posting before shower/coffee.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Out of interest, is the GBA bonus content possible in a Fiesta run?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ilyich posted:

Out of interest, is the GBA bonus content possible in a Fiesta run?

Yeah, it's been done, but you pretty much need Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist. It can be done with weaker options (I think someone did it with Samurai on Earth? which sounds nutso to me), but Thief/Beastmaster are mandatory (due to the Sealed Temple's gimmicks).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

What's this involve, anyway? :eyebrow: I'm not finding any ability I can use that would inflict Stop other than Electromagnetic Field (on a creature I don't have access to any more) or Tame/Calm (which only works on Creatures). And so far as I know that's the only relevant status Omega is vulnerable to...

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

NGDBSS posted:

What's this involve, anyway? :eyebrow: I'm not finding any ability I can use that would inflict Stop other than Electromagnetic Field (on a creature I don't have access to any more) or Tame/Calm (which only works on Creatures).

Calm works on omega. Three people rotating calm is enough to fully stop him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

What's this involve, anyway? :eyebrow: I'm not finding any ability I can use that would inflict Stop other than Electromagnetic Field (on a creature I don't have access to any more) or Tame/Calm (which only works on Creatures).

Actually, that's wholly incorrect (unless you're playing on the phone versions). Calm works on everything but Creatures, due to a bug. :eng101:

Calm-locking Omega is one of the most common ways to cheese him and I'm going to blame a lack of caffeine for me not saying so originally.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wow, even in the GBA version? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yup.

Honestly, most of the SNES version's bugs weren't fixed. Knives not called the Chicken Knife still have the wonky one-byte-instead-of-two Agility multiplier (though this is probably for balance), Power Drink doesn't work except for the Goblin Punch attack value of a weapon, etc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Wow, even in the GBA version? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

it's not worth it on anything othr than omega and maybe some of the postgame dungeon bosses if it works on them (no idea)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

it's not worth it on anything othr than omega and maybe some of the postgame dungeon bosses if it works on them (no idea)

You can also do it on every piece of Neo Exdeath aside from the Almagest piece! :eng101:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

You can also do it on every piece of Neo Exdeath aside from the Almagest piece! :eng101:

yeah but that's two or three people who aren't doing anything to lock down a single part. easier to just use them to burn him down

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Didn't the calm bug only appear in GBA? I know it doesn't work in SNES.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

yeah but that's two or three people who aren't doing anything to lock down a single part. easier to just use them to burn him down

Oh hell, you don't even need to "lock it down", per se, but you can really delay Grand Crosses from coming out if you have one person throw a Calm at it every other action or so.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh hell, you don't even need to "lock it down", per se, but you can really delay Grand Crosses from coming out if you have one person throw a Calm at it every other action or so.

yeah, that makes sense. it'd also slow down the last part if you're having trouble killing it once it goes SSJ. still think you;'d be better off trying to burn it down though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

yeah, that makes sense. it'd also slow down the last part if you're having trouble killing it once it goes SSJ. still think you;'d be better off trying to burn it down though

Yeah, if you gently caress up and let a part go bonkers, that's when I'd actually suggest locking that poo poo down and praying, because loving yikes does it get scary in panic mode.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Poque posted:

Didn't the calm bug only appear in GBA? I know it doesn't work in SNES.

It totally does work on SNES, I used it on my very first run ever to beat Omega. :shobon:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BlondRobin posted:

It totally does work on SNES, I used it on my very first run ever to beat Omega. :shobon:

Hmm, all it did was miss for me last year. Not sure what's going on there.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Going to have to get in this in spirit with Final Fantasy Tactics. I did a random job run in March and it was a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Poque posted:

Hmm, all it did was miss for me last year. Not sure what's going on there.

All I can say is that I was using the unpatched (Japanese) version, on an emulator. Could one of those two things be responsible? :shobon:

EDIT: For what it's worth, that team was Black Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer. I remember trying to either get the Black Mage to reflect Thundagas or the Dancer to Sword Dance Chicken Knife, and having to stop because two people with hermes was just barely not enough to keep him locked down at all times. I remember it because I did the same thing last year, but with Bard's stop, and remembered doing it with the Beastmaster at the time.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread