Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I got my GD04 case in today. I'm very pleased at how it looks, and it fits perfectly where I intend to put it. I was gonna just put in an old mATX C2D system I have lieing around for now, but the upgrade bug has bitten and now I'm thinking of getting it all done this weekend.

e: that was a close one, the heatsink on the C2D is 1/4" too high for the case, guess I'm gonna have to get a whole new system tomorrow.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Need a suggest for a htpc setup for old idiot parents

Honestly the best solution for my parents was plex based.

One TV has it built in, so same remote, the other has a fire TV with a nice remote.

Yes it cost more but it has saved me hours in phone support because of stuff not working. Just like getting them mac minis vs cheapo windows computer the upfront cost was worth it in time freed up to not have to deal with poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Need a suggest for a htpc setup for old idiot parents

A BluRay player with a Netflix app and a Redbox gift card.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They already have a bluray player and I have all the mkvs on my NAS already. Unless a Chromecast can stream 1080 mkvs (no transcoding or work done on the NAS) then an RPi2 + OpenElec is going to be the easiest one. I can setup the remote using CEC to make it easier and if that doesn't work I'll just go FLIRC. Going to test one out on mine using a USB extender that was suggested earlier because even though this TV is 7 years I won't upgrade until it breaks

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
In my experience, old people / people that are bad at watching TV without the channel UI model have far, far more issues dealing with moving around a UI like a mouse and trying to do that before even dealing with the whole setup itself (because they'll just call you the instant something doesn't work). Tried Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast... none of them are ever going to work for the wife because unless there's a number to type in and channel up / down, her brain doesn't handle watching TV as "intuitive" pretty much. It took her over... 3 years to get used to Plex Home Theater and she has no idea that you can even view Youtube videos from there. She also is among the folks that watch Youtube videos for playing music a lot instead of uh... using Spotify or something, which is the music media equivalent of taking a screenshot and pasting it into a Word doc to e-mail it to someone.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been trying to program my Harmony 650 to use with the WMC HTPC, and it all seems to work now except for fast forward and skip forward. I don't think there's a way to program new hotkeys into the device, so I'm kind of at a loss. Auto-programming via the cheap SIIG remote doesn't want to work either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is that pulse-eight USB-CEC adaptor the only game in town for controlling kodi running on an old laptop with the TV remote or is there some other perfectly functional knockoff found with keywords I don't know?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just download Yatse for your android phone, or the other remote for iphone. Miles better than a tv remote

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Just download Yatse for your android phone, or the other remote for iphone. Miles better than a tv remote

That's like, exactly the opposite of what I'd like in a home theatre remote. I don't want to have to unlock my remote (and wait for it to do its wifi sync thing, and look at it to find the buttons because it has no tactile feedback) to pause a movie. A TV remote is perfect with the chromecast, which is awful when you have to use the app client, because you can pause and play without lag.

We have a Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad now that works great, it would just be sweet to use one remote most of the time and a physical keyboard when we need it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Get a flirc.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuyop posted:

That's like, exactly the opposite of what I'd like in a home theatre remote. I don't want to have to unlock my remote (and wait for it to do its wifi sync thing, and look at it to find the buttons because it has no tactile feedback) to pause a movie. A TV remote is perfect with the chromecast, which is awful when you have to use the app client, because you can pause and play without lag.

We have a Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad now that works great, it would just be sweet to use one remote most of the time and a physical keyboard when we need it.

All i know is, mine works perfect for kodi as a remote. free trial is worth a try, is it not?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

Get a flirc.

This. They're $15 and you can use any loving IR remote with your PC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rocksicles posted:

Phone or tablet as remote sounds awesome until you have to use it regularly.

Try using it without looking at it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Phone or tablet as remote sounds awesome until you have to use it regularly.

Try using it without looking at it.

Well, sounds like this guy uses and likes his phone remote, which is kind of strange but power to him!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tuyop posted:

Well, sounds like this guy uses and likes his phone remote, which is kind of strange but power to him!

Obviously.

That's why I said try it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I need tactile feedback for a remote, it feels way too slow and clumsy without it. I thought maybe voice controls would alleviate this but after farting around with Kinect on an Xbox at a buddys place I still got annoyed at missed commands and latency. There's no replacement for a simple remote and muscle memory.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I use a Harmony Smart Remote (the physical remote part) in conjunction with a flirc these days. It was a bit of a pain to get harmony->flirc->kodi working well, but now that it's working using anything else is a bunch of bullshit. Even when I have to use my regular TV remote I get annoyed that I have to make at least a token effort to point it towards the TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I need tactile feedback for a remote, it feels way too slow and clumsy without it. I thought maybe voice controls would alleviate this but after farting around with Kinect on an Xbox at a buddys place I still got annoyed at missed commands and latency. There's no replacement for a simple remote and muscle memory.

You get better at the voice commands pretty quickly over time and I can navigate Plex very successfully using only them. That being said, you never get over how dumb you feel talking to an inanimate object while your animal(s) sit there, silently judging you.

I spent the money, got the Harmony Smart Hub when it was on sale, and it's great at controlling everything and the macro buttons on top make it easy for others to start up and use my TV.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is there an easy way to program a Harmony remote to use the WMC codes for fast forward or skip forward? Mine is not able to self-program using the cheap-o MCE remote I have. Everything else works pretty well- it would be nice to be able to use one remote for everything.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Harmony Hub/Remote + Fire TV + (and everything else in the damned house) for the one-remote solution. That thing is a loving beast of beauty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Glass of Milk posted:

Is there an easy way to program a Harmony remote to use the WMC codes for fast forward or skip forward? Mine is not able to self-program using the cheap-o MCE remote I have. Everything else works pretty well- it would be nice to be able to use one remote for everything.

What are you using to capture the Harmony signals on the HTPC? I'm pretty sure with Flirc you can convert any button press on your Harmony into a FF WMC input on the HTPC.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
MyHarmony has a Flirc+XBMC profile. (edit: but you're talking about WMC :v:) Works well enough out of the box, though you'll maybe want to map more of the buttons to do specific custom things.

The big advantage of the phone app isn't using it as a regular remote, it's browsing your library to find + queue stuff without going through the interface on the TV. That and my phone is glued to my person whereas the remote mostly exists in a nebulous phantom zone.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Glass of Milk posted:

I just tell mine that my XBMC setup with a MCE receiver is a Windows MCE device. Nothing else special, everything works as expected.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Uthor posted:

What are you using to capture the Harmony signals on the HTPC? I'm pretty sure with Flirc you can convert any button press on your Harmony into a FF WMC input on the HTPC.

I've got a harmony 650. The target is a SIIG vista mce remote that I added as a custom item that has a USB IR dongle to receive signals. Every button press works except for those two, so I created an mce keyboard device, but it doesn't have the correct keystroke for wmc (ctrl-alt-F, I think).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How does the Flirc work with your TV remote when you're still watching the TV? It seems like the play and pause buttons are unmapped by my TV on the PC input so I guess those will be fine, but they do stuff when the tv is on other inputs. Is there some way to mute the Flirc so that it doesn't detect when I'm doing stuff with the TV in another input?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tuyop posted:

How does the Flirc work with your TV remote when you're still watching the TV? It seems like the play and pause buttons are unmapped by my TV on the PC input so I guess those will be fine, but they do stuff when the tv is on other inputs. Is there some way to mute the Flirc so that it doesn't detect when I'm doing stuff with the TV in another input?

Lots of tv remotes have universal functions. So program the VCR or whatever second device as something you dont own

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Lots of tv remotes have universal functions. So program the VCR or whatever second device as something you dont own

Ah, my remote doesn't have that. I guess I'll give this USB-CEC adapter a try, then.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tuyop posted:

Ah, my remote doesn't have that. I guess I'll give this USB-CEC adapter a try, then.

Id honestly just buy a universal remote and a flirc over trying to get some cec poo poo to work

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
How do you htpc goons think this would perform as windows / plex / emby / kodi solution?

Trying to keep it on the cheap.
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/37670403

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

How do you htpc goons think this would perform as windows / plex / emby / kodi solution?

Trying to keep it on the cheap.
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/37670403

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-200-010-Mini-Desktop/dp/B00R7R1GWK/

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cons: Less processing power, less memory, smaller hard drive (although it is ssd), no disc drive, fewer usb ports, more $$$

Pros: not refurbished, smaller

Am i missing something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

Cons: Less processing power, less memory, smaller hard drive (although it is ssd), no disc drive, fewer usb ports, more $$$

Am i missing something?

Pros: is that same shade of blue that matches every other piece of consumer electronics in your home. :swoon:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Am i missing something?

Is a disc drive important? Because you didn't mention it specifically, and it's 2015. Also, you're not exactly clear about what you want it to do. Everything you mentioned? Just one? Windows and media software? Will it be a Plex or Emby server or just the client? If it's just Kodi, the HP runs OpenELEC perfectly and it's tiny and silent. If it's Windows and you want it to be a Plex or Emby client, it should be fine too, but you left that info out.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Sorry for not being clear. I want it to be a server, running windows, plex and emby. I will occasionally use it play movies from the disc drive , or from the hard drives using kodi.

Itll serve other instances of openelec

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 21, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

Sorry for not being clear. I want it to be a server, running windows, plex and emby. I will occasionally use it play movies from the disc drive , or from the hard drives using kodi.

Itll serve other instances of openelec

Why Plex over Kodi with upnp or smb or MySQL? If it's just your home network, it doesn't take much hardware power to direct play media. And everything you're looking at isn't powerful enough to transcode on the fly [the main reason to choose plex over kodi imo]

If you're looking for USB ports, this Zotac Zbox Nano has 6 and is still fanless. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218038 You'll have to add your own ram and ssd but at least you can take advantage of the free Windows 10 promotion for an OS.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 21, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Why Plex AND Emby?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Is a disc drive important? Because you didn't mention it specifically, and it's 2015.

Interesting that you mention that. It's 2015, and my parents still make plentiful use of DVDs and Blu-ray discs. We have like five bookshelves filled completely with movies and various complete TV series sets.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

kode54 posted:

Interesting that you mention that. It's 2015, and my parents still make plentiful use of DVDs and Blu-ray discs. We have like five bookshelves filled completely with movies and various complete TV series sets.

OK, but he was asking about media streaming software in an HTPC thread, where I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who buy/build an HTPC in 2015 do not use optical media or include an optical drive in their builds.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
To answer al the above questions: I currently have an older PC in my theater. It runs windows 7 and has several hard drives connected to it. I run kodi on it to watch movies. That same pc is used to share content to rasplex in the adjacent living room. Ive had troubles wi rasplex, and plex in general. I love kodi, and want to use it in the living room. I have an older Aspire Revo , and i replaced the RPi with the revo running openelec. Ive got emby running on the old PC. And its working good.

Id like to use the old PC for something else, and get a new PC to play movies in the theater via Kodi, and feed content to the living room openelec via emby . I dont know anything about MySQL, but if theres something better than emby, im open to it.

The HP and other small form factor nettops seem ok, but id like to have something with a disc drive for ripping. The acer PCs seem powerful enough to meet all these needs.

I just dont quite understand the appeal of nettops , when stuff like this
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA15T21S0280

Offers more power and features for similar price.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

I just dont quite understand the appeal of nettops , when stuff like this
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA15T21S0280

Offers more power and features for similar price.

Not refurbished. Not Acer. No fans/moving parts so no noise. Less power but less of a power draw when you leave it turned on 24/7 (7-8 watts idle, 13-19 watts under full load)

Cornjob posted:

To answer al the above questions: I currently have an older PC in my theater. It runs windows 7 and has several hard drives connected to it. I run kodi on it to watch movies. That same pc is used to share content to rasplex in the adjacent living room. Ive had troubles wi rasplex, and plex in general. I love kodi, and want to use it in the living room. I have an older Aspire Revo , and i replaced the RPi with the revo running openelec. Ive got emby running on the old PC. And its working good.

Id like to use the old PC for something else, and get a new PC to play movies in the theater via Kodi, and feed content to the living room openelec via emby . I dont know anything about MySQL, but if theres something better than emby, im open to it.

It's not super ready for prime time yet but you can use upnp on Kodi to sync your library from the main theater computer to all the other devices.

Turn on upnp on your main theater computer and use a skin like Amber to link directly to the upnp share on the front page and hide the old library [or any skin that allows customs on the front page]

Main theater computer:
Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Share video and music libraries through UPnP

On the devices catching:

Videos -> Files -> Add Videos... -> Browse -> UPnP Devices -> Kodi [*your computer name*] -> Video Library -> Click Ok -> Name it whatever you want
Now that's it's showing, bring up the context menu and add that share to your favorites
Settings -> Home Menu -> Click one of the empty slots -> Select your share -> Name it Videos -> Click Ok
Go back to Home Menu and hide the old videos tab.

And that's it. You'll lose more advanced features like smart playlists and trailers but it should give you the same type of layout you're use to with Plex. [And you can do the same thing with the music library but I'd highly recommend skipping UPnP for music and setting up a simple SMB]

Plus the Kodi team is working on library integration with UPnP so maybe a year or two from now, you won't even have to do the above.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2015