Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I consider characters being tagged "essential" as a basic quality of life improvement for my video game experience, personally, but to each his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm glad I'm not going to have to reload every time the dog's stupid AI charges a super mutant and dies. If you want to play a hardcore mode i'm sure there will be mods made by similarly crazy people.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I don't understand the kvetching about unkillable companions in non-hardcore New Vegas. If your Legion dude really doesn't like Boone for instance all you need to do is dismiss him from your party and then commence the murdering. That kind of essential flag is just fine because it cuts down on excessive reloading when tangling with dangerous enemies (cazadores and deathclaws are a death sentence for companions most of the time) but I don't like when it infringes on player agency or roleplaying.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout 4 will only be worthwhile if it totally eliminates the prologue, has a text parser instead of dialogue options, removes all voice acting so NPCs can be asked 50 different really specific questions, and lets plot-important NPCs die and force you to reload a save without warning.
What a rational and mature assessment of the critiques in this thread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God drat Bethesda for trying to introduce a storyline and quality of life improvements into my ultra realistic sandbox. Don't you know those things don't exist for real assholes? Why, in Dwarf Fortress if you wanted a story, you had to make it up yourself and tell in to your screen, furthermore

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's no possible way that Bethesda could do anything better. They're perfect in every way and have never done something badly because they were lazy and dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SexyCommando posted:

What a rational and mature assessment of the critiques in this thread.

We have seen criticism of:

1. Voiced dialogue, which dates back to criticisms I've seen elsewhere of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games introducing voice acting for all NPCs causing restricted dialogue choices.

2. Essential NPCs, even NPCs who will make the plot unwinnable if killed.

3. Deciding any amount of backstory for the character.

Literally everything I mentioned in that post is based in actual criticism of Fallout 4 in this thread. It's a bunch of whiny pissbabies who are upset that developers aren't making their preferred hardcore content just for them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, real criticisms of Bethesda include that their engine is getting a little long in the tooth and kind of janky, that their voice actors get tired and they clearly don't do enough takes sometimes, and that dungeon diving can end up feeling a bit samey because of the way leveling progression works. I kind of love the janky old engine, don't mind the goofy voice actors, and I don't get bored with the dungeons, but those are legitimate complaints.

"They use celebrity voice actors for cameos" and "they have a system for marking NPCs as essential" and "they are utilizing voice acting for the protagonist, because we are beginning to get to the point where it's more difficult to swallow the fact that your avatar is the only one who talks than to deal with a voice" are all minor complaints that have to do more with taste than the quality of the game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You saying that makes no sense to me, because New Vegas was way more "Here's your guy/backstory, here's the characters/factions you're supposed to feel one way or another about, now pick one of four stories to play" than previous Fallouts. They specifically flooded half the map with Deadly Monsters Of Deadly Death for the sole purpose of funneling you through a narrow worldbuilding path so that you don't just peace-out of the Mojave after delivering the Chip.

New Vegas's plot lives or dies on you feeling something for the major factions of the story. I would contrast this with Fallout 3, wherein the more nebulous path of direction (sure, you're led to Megaton, but there's nothing stopping you from going in another direction) leads to a more macro-based motivation for players. In 3 it's not about which monolithic group you want to install into power, it's about all remembering those random people and their stories as you go along. This is boltered by the fact that in 3, more of its locations tell a self-contained story than NV.

Yeah New Vegas had so much more backstory about your guy and you're totally railroaded. What with that huge set piece at the start about your childhood and your dad and how your dad turned out to be the centerpiece of the entire story and you spent the whole main quest running around asking people HAVE YOU SEEN MY DAD WHERE'S MY DAD OH WOW MY DAD DID ALL KINDS OF COOL poo poo. I wish it'd provided multiple factions and characters and storylines that I was expected to make my own decisions about like Fallout 3.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

frajaq posted:

Fallout 4: 40,000 Spoken Lines of Text, All of Them " aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh"

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

chitoryu12 posted:

Literally everything I mentioned in that post is based in actual criticism of Fallout 4 in this thread. It's a bunch of whiny pissbabies who are upset that developers aren't making their preferred hardcore content just for them.
Except for the part where you took it to ridiculous hyperbole and ignored most of the actual arguments in favor of what you think they are. Nobody was asking for a text parser and 50 dialogue options per character, they were making the argument that it is easier to make more and better dialogue when you don't have to worry about recording and making memory space for VO. There were also concessions made concerning how random NPCs shouldn't be able to be killed by random fauna, and warnings could potentially mitigate any accidental killings. If you think having VO is a step forward and think the potential loss of content is worth the increase in production value, or want immortal NPCs to protect the Oscar-winning Bethesda story, that's completely fair.
Portraying everyone who argues with you as a baby makes you look just as whiny that alternate opinions are threatening your preferred content.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wah, wah nevah changes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SexyCommando posted:

Except for the part where you took it to ridiculous hyperbole and ignored most of the actual arguments in favor of what you think they are. Nobody was asking for a text parser and 50 dialogue options per character, they were making the argument that it is easier to make more and better dialogue when you don't have to worry about recording and making memory space for VO. There was also discussion about how random NPCs shouldn't be able to be killed by random fauna, and warnings could potentially mitigate any accidental killings. If you think having VO is a step forward and think the potential loss of content is worth the step forward in production value, or want immortal NPCs to protect the Oscar-winning Bethesda story, that's completely fair.
Portraying everyone who argues with you as a baby makes you look just as whiny that alternate opinions are threatening your preferred content.

That ship sailed nine years ago with Bethesda (as did, I might add, marking NPCs as essential) and, honestly, it is really tiresome to hear the same complaint about something that is, again, minor at most and pretty clearly a matter of taste, for a goddamn decade. If you have had the same complaints about a series that you feel the need to voice them like

Father Wendigo posted:

Fallout 4: 40,000 Spoken Lines of Text, All of Them " aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh"

for an entire decade, it is probably time to admit you no longer like the series, or the company, and to stop posting about in the thread devoted to both. :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah New Vegas had so much more backstory about your guy and you're totally railroaded. What with that huge set piece at the start about your childhood and your dad and how your dad turned out to be the centerpiece of the entire story and you spent the whole main quest running around asking people HAVE YOU SEEN MY DAD WHERE'S MY DAD OH WOW MY DAD DID ALL KINDS OF COOL poo poo. I wish it'd provided multiple factions and characters and storylines that I was expected to make my own decisions about like Fallout 3.

Fallout 1 had such an invasive plot that you actually had a serious chance of failing the game due to trying to do too much sidequest and sandbox stuff because it had a hard timer. Fallout 2 extended the timer to a much, much longer one (13 years, I think) but still gave you an established home and plotline and would give you a game over if you hosed around too much. Both games also gave constant reminders of the storyline if you waited too long. Fallout 3 was the first to remove the hard time limit so you had unlimited sandbox opportunity, even if you wanted to just run off as soon as you finished the prologue and ignore the main quest forever.

New Vegas is actually a pretty big outlier among Fallouts by giving you a mostly blank slate character, four unique ending paths, and no time limit or constant "Complete the main quest, dammit" reminders. The closest it comes is providing an easy path with plot nuggets along it, but even that can be bypassed by skilled or lucky players who find shortcuts and dodge the stronger enemies along them.

A lot of people like that better, yeah. But it's unfair to act like Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout 4 are railroaded crap unworthy of the title when Bethesda actually loosened virtually all of Black Isle's restrictions before the remainder of that team got their franchise back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yeah New Vegas had so much more backstory about your guy and you're totally railroaded.

That's the thing, you are. There's a reason why Obsidian took out the "And the Courier left New Vegas" ending. Not to mention, Lonesome Road is specifically about what your character did before the setting of the game.

What with that huge set piece at the start about your childhood and your dad and how your dad turned out to be the centerpiece of the entire story and you spent the whole main quest running around asking people HAVE YOU SEEN MY DAD WHERE'S MY DAD OH WOW MY DAD DID ALL KINDS OF COOL poo poo.

That's no different than New Vegas essentially forcing you to walk the long way around to the titular city: to try and get you to feel something for the character/place in question. You can get your average player invested with a familial hook because we all have families and most of us don't hate our parents or something. If anything, NV had to do it more because there's no baseline give-a-poo poo about a fictional city.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This game will sell a billion copies.
It will sell a trillion if there is an option to transplant Dogmeat's brain into one of these options:

1) A cyber dog that has lasers and other cool weapons

2) A suit of power armor. Dogs are afraid of heights so when it is air-dropped, it screams but then jumps around in excitement when it sees you

3) A person.
Man's best friend is... man!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You guys seriously lost your poo poo because you cannot kill the dog?

Have you guys played any Fallout game? Not just 3 or New Vegas, ANY OF THEM!

Do you guys remember the Millitary Base? Have you ever used burst or explosive weapons near your companions?

THAT is why you cannot kill the dog.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

escalator dropdown posted:

Also, dogs don't talk. This means he's already more tolerable than any of the Skyrim companions.

Dogmeat: "*siiiiiiiiiigh* *bark* I'm sworn to carry your burdens... *bark*"

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

It will sell a trillion if there is an option to transplant Dogmeat's brain into one of these options:
1) A cyber dog that has lasers and other cool weapons

nah just put this in the game for real and we'll talk

Bholder posted:

Do you guys remember the Millitary Base? Have you ever used burst or explosive weapons near your companions?

imo even more reason you should be able to kill the dog

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

quote isnt edit poo poo

heres a dog

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 17, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fereydun posted:

nah just put this in the game for real and we'll talk

imo even more reason you should be able to kill the dog

I like how that laser is so powerful it lights up the sky.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Bicyclops posted:

If you have had the same complaints about a series that you feel the need to voice them for an entire decade, it is probably time to admit you no longer like the series, or the company, and to stop posting about in the thread devoted to both. :shrug:
I'm still really interested in Fallout 4, and I'm probably going to buy it, but I'm not allowed to criticize it in any way? For the record I realize how easy it will be to mod out necessary NPCs, and I'm not bothered by voiced characters, I was simply pointing out the fact that almost nobody has been making these complaints without valid reasoning behind them.

But I guess debating the features and pitfalls of sandbox game design was a loving boring conversation and I should just shut up and leave unless I love everything Bethesda does.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Delsaber posted:

You joke but thats gonna be the scary moment when you realize the dog is a fellow android with your wife's brain inside it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bholder posted:

Just quoting for emphasis

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

frajaq posted:

You joke but thats gonna be the scary moment when you realize the dog is a fellow android with your wife's brain inside it

Wifedog will be the best thing since Wifearm.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Delsaber posted:

lol

SexyCommando posted:

I'm still really interested in Fallout 4, and I'm probably going to buy it, but I'm not allowed to criticize it in any way? For the record I realize how easy it will be to mod out necessary NPCs, and I'm not bothered by voiced characters, I was simply pointing out the fact that almost nobody has been making these complaints without valid reasoning behind them.

But I guess debating the features and pitfalls of sandbox game design was a loving boring conversation and I should just shut up and leave unless I love everything Bethesda does.

I just think the same four "This again?!?" things that get posted at least 20 times in every thread about every Bethesda game get a little boring.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly the New Vegas perk that reduced damage to companions should have been native.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

That's the thing, you are. There's a reason why Obsidian took out the "And the Courier left New Vegas" ending. Not to mention, Lonesome Road is specifically about what your character did before the setting of the game.

And what the Courier did is fetch quests. Did you just not get that DLC or what? The whole point is that the courier is a generic video game character.

quote:

That's no different than New Vegas essentially forcing you to walk the long way around to the titular city: to try and get you to feel something for the character/place in question. You can get your average player invested with a familial hook because we all have families and most of us don't hate our parents or something. If anything, NV had to do it more because there's no baseline give-a-poo poo about a fictional city.

It doesn't force you. It's harder to make it the other way, but there are more than enough stealth boys and magazines to go a different way. Whether you're just cutting across for a shortcut or defiantly taking the eastern side of the map. The fact it's more difficult does not make it impossible. It makes it more difficult, and that makes it more enticing to some players. I understand if you're not one of them, but you're essentially saying that the fact that that route doesn't appeal to you makes it invalid. That's stupid.

Also, you know what the game does? It notices when you break expected sequence. It notices if you met Vulpes Inculta before seeing him in Nipton. It notices if you have reputation scores other than what you'd normally have. It's more of a sandbox with an easy road built in.

Finally, you're fundamentally misunderstanding my point. Fallout 3 goes over why you should care and why it's so important over and over again. The closest thing there is to any kind of branching in the main quest is the ability to meaninglessly commit suicide less than a minute earlier than moment where you're supposed to meaninglessly commit suicide. In New Vegas you're a mercenary and you make your own decisions. You care or don't care based on what you see, not some hackneyed relationship with an incredibly badly written character that was foisted on you.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Welp, looks like my theory was wrong. Seems perks are based off of the seven SPECIAL stats, judging from the collector's edition poster. Seeing as there are 10 per tree, I'm guessing you can only go so far as how many points you've put in that SPECIAL tree. So, if you've got 10 in Endurance, you can go all the way down the tree and get Solar Powered, whereas if you dump Intelligence, you can't go past the first one. Seems really dumb to me as 70 perks total is a downgrade from the previous game and about 1/3rd of them are recycled from Fallout 3. Also, seems like Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez La Femme have been axed, so there goes giving your naked bro a friendly backrub.

Also, seems like they really don't like any of the New Vegas perks, period; all of them are either from 3, new, or are from old pictures for skills such as Barter and Medicine.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 17, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The plot twist is that you are the child, and your family of three were frozen in cryogenics but it malfunctioned, so your body was destroyed save for your brain, your parent of the same sex became brain dead, and the opposite parent outright died. At the end of the game, this is revealed along with the fact that your brain was transplanted into your braindead parent so you are both your parent and yourself at the same time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Did I read right that intelligence affects how many experience points you get?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

Did I read right that intelligence affects how many experience points you get?

Yeop. Presumably it's a quick kludge to make up for the removal of old fashioned skill points.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

frajaq posted:

Bethesda reaches out to the otherkin community ahead of Bioware with new romance path options!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Welp, looks like my theory was wrong. Seems perks are based off of the seven SPECIAL stats, judging from the collector's edition poster. Seeing as there are 10 per tree, I'm guessing you can only go so far as how many points you've put in that SPECIAL tree. So, if you've got 10 in Endurance, you can go all the way down the tree and get Solar Powered, whereas if you dump Intelligence, you can't go past the first one. Seems really dumb to me as 70 perks total is a downgrade from the previous game and about 1/3rd of them are recycled from Fallout 3. Also, seems like Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez La Femme have been axed, so there goes giving your naked bro a friendly backrub.

Also, seems like they really don't like any of the New Vegas perks, period; all of them are either from 3, new, or are from old pictures for skills such as Barter and Medicine.

Jeez, that is kinda worrisome. I do want more info on gameplay, it's really hard to figure out what they're trying based on speculation.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bicyclops posted:

I just think the same four "This again?!?" things that get posted at least 20 times in every thread about every Bethesda game get a little boring.
Look Bub, if you don't think having everyone speak like characters from Banjo-Kazooie is awesome then you need to take your negativity about FO4 elsewhere.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Jeez, that is kinda worrisome. I do want more info on gameplay, it's really hard to figure out what they're trying based on speculation.

I would have thought it was obvious both from skyrim's ui and removal of stats and numeric skills where they're going.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

megalodong posted:

I would have thought it was obvious both from skyrim's ui and removal of stats and numeric skills where they're going.

I actually liked the streamlining they did in Skyrim.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I was hoping it'd at least be trees. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I was hoping it'd at least be trees. Jesus.

There are trees, where do you think you go to shoot bears with your assault rifle. :downs:

• Locked thread