Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

isndl posted:

I would avoid the 840 EVO even though it's cheaper because of the firmware issues it has. It is supposedly fixed after firmware updates, but :effort:.

There's rumors that the updated firmware makes TRIM eat your data: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9723066

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If it does, I haven't noticed it yet.

I do think the 840 EVO is at 'strike two' on my 'gently caress this' chart of potentially unreliable hardware. If one more confirmed 'oopsie' comes out about it, I'm going to replace it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Maybe we should stop recommending Samsung SSDs altogether.

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a Linux specific issue, apparently.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's a Linux specific issue, apparently.

It's a firmware issue. It manifests in Linux because right now it's the only platform that supports queued TRIM.

quote:

The queued TRIM problems appear to be generic to Samsung's firmware and not tied to a particular model. A recent update to the 840 EVO firmware introduced the same issue as we saw on 850 Pro.

Blacklist queued TRIM on all 800-series drives while we work this issue with Samsung.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They weren't even using queued trim.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Their update (which was present at the time the link was posted here) is especially unhelpful, since they are using the terms in exactly the wrong way.

quote:

A lot of discussions started pointing out that the issue is related to the newly introduced un-queued TRIM. This is not correct. The TRIM on our drives is queued and the issue we have found is not related to the latest changes in the Linux Kernel to disable this features.

Queued trim is new and blacklisted, if they are really using the traditional un-queued trim, then something new is afoot.

You still shouldn't use Samsung SSDs for Linux-based hardware for now, unless you can be sure that you don't accidentally issue a queued trim.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They weren't even using queued trim.

Externally you don't decide what kind of TRIM operation the kernel issues. If the drive says that it supports NCQ TRIM and it's not blacklisted in the kernel, then that's what gets used.

The Samsung bug was reported months ago and Crucial drives have a similar bug.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The_Franz posted:

Externally you don't decide what kind of TRIM operation the kernel issues. If the drive says that it supports NCQ TRIM and it's not blacklisted in the kernel, then that's what gets used.

quote:

We had kernels 3.2, 3.10, 3.13 and 3.16 distributed between the most often corrupted machines and waited to see which of the mines blows up. All of them did.
Considering queued trim was only introduced in Linux 3.12 it is unlikely (baring distribution patches) that they were using only queued trim.

E: And they unsuccessfully run smartctl -l gplog,0x13 /dev/sda. So, it's not queued trim.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 16, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Where are all these mSATA SSDs getting installed? PC laptops? It's not MacBooks. And PC builder mobos didn't really come with mSATA right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Where are all these mSATA SSDs getting installed? PC laptops? It's not MacBooks. And PC builder mobos didn't really come with mSATA right?

Thinkpads.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm getting a new SSD that is bigger than my current one (which is the Windows OS drive). I used Acronis to save an image of my current SSD partition to a separate drive which also has an Ubuntu partition. Can I boot into Ubuntu once my new drive is connected and just use Acronis to copy the partition over to the new drive to restore my Windows installation?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

Considering queued trim was only introduced in Linux 3.12 it is unlikely (baring distribution patches) that they were using only queued trim.

E: And they unsuccessfully run smartctl -l gplog,0x13 /dev/sda. So, it's not queued trim.

gently caress Samsung after all this, you only get a second try on firmware not a third or fourth.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Most of the speed benefit will be wasted if the accesses are coming from across the network. You will gain in reliability, though depending how you do your RAID, you might be losing TRIM support

I'm not even interested in speed, really, since obviously the network will be the bottleneck and 7200rpm platters are more than enough. My main interest is in minimizing heat, noise, power consumption and moving parts. I'd love to see if I can build a server with absolutely no moving parts whatsoever: SSDs, completely passive cooling, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fatman1683 posted:

I'd love to see if I can build a server with absolutely no moving parts whatsoever: SSDs, completely passive cooling, etc.

Good news: you can!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

fatman1683 posted:

I'm not even interested in speed, really, since obviously the network will be the bottleneck and 7200rpm platters are more than enough. My main interest is in minimizing heat, noise, power consumption and moving parts. I'd love to see if I can build a server with absolutely no moving parts whatsoever: SSDs, completely passive cooling, etc.

You can, that's easy. The question is, are you willing to spend 10x $/gb to do so?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Good news: you can!

Actually, SSDs seem to deal poorly with heat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They don't say how much heat though - I'd imagine Facebook runs everything as hot as they can to save on cooling costs.

I don't imagine the disks in a sff passive PC are going to get up to very high temperatures anyway, even compared to something like a Macbook Air

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Up until this point there hasn't been much reason to make them since only top-end Z97 boards and X99s were packing SATA Express ports (and Xeon boards). Once Skylake starts becoming available I think you'll see more of them coming out that don't cost nearly a grand. That being said, M.2 slots in-between PCIe slots are a really compelling place to put them that doesn't require any wires being strung about.

Even then, though - Average Computer Buyer isn't ever going to 'feel' the difference between 550MB/sec and 1500MB/sec.

M.2 or whatever flavor of the year storage interface will forever remain in that tiny niche unless they get the SATA/USB3 treatment where even the cheapest of mobos comes with them as standard.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
My 3.5 year old Intel 320 SSD just bit the dust in a terrible way. Windows crashed, and after reboot prompted me with a message indicating a drive problem. I pulled the SSD and hooked it up via USB to another computer to find that the drive was reporting itself as 8MB and the End-to-End error smart value was tripped. It was on the most recent firmware so this wasn't the old 8MB after power failure error of old.

Intel did me a solid and replaced it under their extended 5 year warranty, but I'm pretty surprised to lose an Intel SSD with very little wear so suddenly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Naffer posted:

My 3.5 year old Intel 320 SSD just bit the dust in a terrible way. Windows crashed, and after reboot prompted me with a message indicating a drive problem. I pulled the SSD and hooked it up via USB to another computer to find that the drive was reporting itself as 8MB and the End-to-End error smart value was tripped. It was on the most recent firmware so this wasn't the old 8MB after power failure error of old.

Intel did me a solid and replaced it under their extended 5 year warranty, but I'm pretty surprised to lose an Intel SSD with very little wear so suddenly.

Ironically between Mushkin, Samsung and Intel, the only SSDs we've actually had go tits up are Intel. 3 of them.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Palladium posted:

M.2 or whatever flavor of the year storage interface will forever remain in that tiny niche unless they get the SATA/USB3 treatment where even the cheapest of mobos comes with them as standard.

For desktop PCs yeah, but there is way large enough market in laptops for them to be economical.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fatman1683 posted:

I'd love to see if I can build a server with absolutely no moving parts whatsoever: SSDs, completely passive cooling, etc.

And now I want to see a liquid cooled datacenter, followed by that datacenter going horribly wrong.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RFC2324 posted:

And now I want to see a liquid cooled datacenter, followed by that datacenter going horribly wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VChOEvKicQQ

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003
My organization has purchased a Samsung 850 Pro for a 2010 Mac Pro that we will have to upgrade from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, as a software upgrade has forced us to upgrade OS X. We are looking to deploy five more within the next week or so for the same reasons. Are there any red flags from using the 850 Pro without TRIM? These are post-production workstations being mainly used for After Effects and Premiere.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Naffer posted:

I'm nearly sure those are using the Sandforce chipset they bought a long time ago and 'fixed'. Sandforce chipsets are not stable and have never been, never ever purchase a drive with one of these controllers no matter who makes it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

redeyes posted:

I'm nearly sure those are using the Sandforce chipset they bought a long time ago and 'fixed'. Sandforce chipsets are not stable and have never been, never ever purchase a drive with one of these controllers no matter who makes it.

I'm not even going to correct you.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So given all the discussion above about TRIM issues and Samsung drives, would the 850 PRO still be recommended for OSX or should I look at other drives/hold off awhile?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

redeyes posted:

Uh, we buy SandForce drives by the bucket load. We haven't had any problems with them.

OWC went with SandForce on their pricy drives, and Intel chose SandForce for a ton of their drives.

The only SandForce issues I know of were from like 3+ years ago. Their chipsets are quite mature and stable now. It's very trusted.

SandForce 22xx series is probably the oldest chipset still being put into new SSDs. That speaks volumes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomorph posted:

Uh, we buy SandForce drives by the bucket load. We haven't had any problems with them.

OWC went with SandForce on their pricy drives, and Intel chose SandForce for a ton of their drives.

The only SandForce issues I know of were from like 3+ years ago. Their chipsets are quite mature and stable now. It's very trusted.

SandForce 22xx series is probably the oldest chipset still being put into new SSDs. That speaks volumes.

Well every single SSD that has died for me has been a Sandforce and literally nothing else.. Ancedotal I know but yeah the 22xx series is way old at this point.

quote:

I'm not even going to correct you.
Well if they don't use that controller, my bad.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

SourKraut posted:

So given all the discussion above about TRIM issues and Samsung drives, would the 850 PRO still be recommended for OSX or should I look at other drives/hold off awhile?

If had a Samsung SSD in an Apple computer would not go around Apple and enable TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. Who knows what bugs lurk in Samsung SSDs when accessed by non-Windows OSes.

Fortunately it seems that the 850 PRO works well with TRIM disabled, according to the OP.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Grim Up North posted:

If had a Samsung SSD in an Apple computer would not go around Apple and enable TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. Who knows what bugs lurk in Samsung SSDs when accessed by non-Windows OSes.

Fortunately it seems that the 850 PRO works well with TRIM disabled, according to the OP.

Yeah, that's the tricky part - I had planned on going with an 850 PRO in the Mac mini I just got and not use TRIM, but TRIM support for 3rd Party SSDs is coming in OS X 10.11 later this year so I would want to be able to enable it when the time came...

I thought about the Intel 730 480GB or a 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro but the 730 might put off more heat than I'd like and it seems like the Extreme Pro isn't really recommended around here much.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Put off more heat? It does take more power but these things do not get hot in the least.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have had a 840EVO in my Hackintosh for a fair while now and other than that performance issue that required a firmware patch nothing bad has happened so far with trim enabled.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

Put off more heat? It does take more power but these things do not get hot in the least.

I'd disagree. I haven't ran the 730 but I have ran the Crucial M500, it's very similar in power usage. There's a very noticeable difference in the palmrest of the laptop directly where the SSD is.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

I'd disagree. I haven't ran the 730 but I have ran the Crucial M500, it's very similar in power usage. There's a very noticeable difference in the palmrest of the laptop directly where the SSD is.

I'm sure you have to be feeling something else, most SSDs idle below 1w. I've used quite a few and never felt one to be more than slightly warm to the touch.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bob Morales posted:

I have no idea what 3.74 watts feels like but that's the maximum draw that Anandtech found on the 730.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/806?vs=1141

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

I'm sure you have to be feeling something else, most SSDs idle below 1w. I've used quite a few and never felt one to be more than slightly warm to the touch.

Yea, it was probably something else warming up the exact area where the SSD is under the palmrest. The people who posted similar reviews for Crucial's mSATA SSD's on Amazon and Crucial's own forums must also be feeling something else.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So is Samsung now not recommended or is it just a Linux problem? Are there any brands that are (as far as is possible) considered safe to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Welp, got my Intel 750 1.2TB PCIe NVMe in today. I sure hope it's as fast as it is in my dreams...

• Locked thread