Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Justin_Brett posted:

He was on the money with Shocklord. Is he one of the only party members that never tries to attack you in that fight? Do any just not care?

Some of them feel conflicted about attacking you and will waste turns because of it. Others actively want to kill you because they think you are hosed up/are assholes themselves.

Unrelated; I was looking at some of the sound effects included with the game and apparently it used the sound WAY different. There are 9 songs included with them that are unused battle themes with a completely different tone. I guess the closest comparison I can make is the old sounds seem more like Final Fantasy than Earthbound. They seem a lot more upbeat.

VVV Figured. It sounds like it came from a completely different game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Some of them feel conflicted about attacking you and will waste turns because of it. Others actively want to kill you because they think you are hosed up/are assholes themselves.

Unrelated; I was looking at some of the sound effects included with the game and apparently it used the sound WAY different. There are 9 songs included with them that are unused battle themes with a completely different tone. I guess the closest comparison I can make is the old sounds seem more like Final Fantasy than Earthbound. They seem a lot more upbeat.

If you're talking about the stuff in the Audio folder that's just default RPGmaker VX stuff. If you want the resources the game actually uses you need to extract them from the Game.rgss3a file with All Decrypter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That's also why Brad's sprite in the menu would sometimes glitch out and be replaced by an old wizard looking guy's portrait. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone have access to the kickstarter Demo? It was from the lowest tier on the kickstarter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's linked on the Kickstarter page itself, unless the one you're talking about is somehow different.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23861548/Lisasetup.exe

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It might be that, I dunno.

I was talking to Dingaling the other day and he mentioned that Buddy is Dr. Yado's daughter. I didn't think to ask at the time but does that ever come up in the game?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Anatharon posted:

It might be that, I dunno.

I was talking to Dingaling the other day and he mentioned that Buddy is Dr. Yado's daughter. I didn't think to ask at the time but does that ever come up in the game?

Yes, it does.

I mean it never says it outright, as with so many things in the game, but it's basically spelled out in the joyless ending if I remember correctly. Yado says something like "I'll use my daughter for this" so its insinuated, if not spelled out. Also pain mode has the lab which hints at it as well I think?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The creator recently posted an image from the Buddy chapter, and set a date of Summer 2015.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

picked this up on the steam sale and am enjoying the hell out of it so far. my only question is, does playing on the hardest mode (whatever it's called when the first guy asks you if you like difficult things) change anything about the game other than making every save spot one-time use? like, does it modify how many monsters you fight or the strength of the monsters or anything else? playing thru with one-time use save points is moderately inconvenient, but i'll be disappointed if there's no other impact on gameplay. i've inferred from the black bars in this thread that you also get an additional ending cinematic/sequence, but i just want to know if anything changes gameplay-wise.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

picked this up on the steam sale and am enjoying the hell out of it so far. my only question is, does playing on the hardest mode (whatever it's called when the first guy asks you if you like difficult things) change anything about the game other than making every save spot one-time use? like, does it modify how many monsters you fight or the strength of the monsters or anything else? playing thru with one-time use save points is moderately inconvenient, but i'll be disappointed if there's no other impact on gameplay. i've inferred from the black bars in this thread that you also get an additional ending cinematic/sequence, but i just want to know if anything changes gameplay-wise.

A few of the encounters are changed up, and I think it buffs the stats of most of the enemies as well. You also gain access to an additional area.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7zUjGJNotw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fingers crossed that this means Buddy's going to go Kill Bill on Buzzo's plot-armored backside.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Got the game on steam sale as well, been having a blast with it all day today.

Do with I could find a good source of Perfume, though. That's the one thing I can never have enough of.

(Also, Joy free for one zone, where's my damned chit)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Oh man, Buddy wearing Rando's mask is kinda rad. I wonder if we'll end up seeing more of him (be it dead or alive)

homeless poster posted:

Full list of changes I made for the LP I dropped (and plan on getting back to), as far as I could figure out:

Old neighbourhood's lab is accessible

There's an extra fight before the EWC

There's an extra mutant fight on the way to the karate village, after passing Birdie

Hawke is a mutant and doesn't drop his cape

"I'm sorry, master" scene after the credits

As far as I can tell none of the other fights change, and save points explode (obviously).

Oxxidation posted:

Fingers crossed that this means Buddy's going to go Kill Bill on Buzzo's plot-armored backside.

You don't sound happy, friend... :unsmigghh:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do with I could find a good source of Perfume, though. That's the one thing I can never have enough of.

There's a few vendors that sell it starting in area 2.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 22, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh good, I can't wait to feel horribly depressed all over again!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Having just finished the game myself on the punish mode or whatever hard mode is called, i can confirm that you want your team to be 100% offense and no support or defensive characters. In the second act you can find one guy who can infinitely apply the weakness: fire debuff on every enemy at will basically for free, and so you just take him and two other guys who can do fire type damage and burn every opponent down to the ground.

Also, I would abandon the traditional RPG mindset that every party member is important and must be saved no matter what. The game has like 100 recruitable characters and 90 of them don't have any more characterization or plot significance than a one line description like "drunk guy" or "homeless guy" or "fish lawyer". There's a ton of plot events and bosses that can permanently kill your companions, and unless the RNG really screws you and perma-kills the one guy who can apply the fire weakness debuff, I say just let the game continue and switch in another dude. In the same way, I would suggest against making Brad sacrifice his corpus any time the offer is made, because you won't use most of the companions in the long run, and the alternative definitely impacts Brad's ability to interact with the game.

Also, outside of which of 3 specific achievements you get when completing the game, sacrificing limbs doesn't change the outcome of the story in any real way. As near as I can tell, there's only two things that affect which epilogue vignettes you see:

1. Did you ever use J O Y at all, even once (Y/N)?
2. Are you playing on Hard Mode (Y/N)? If Y here, then option 1 doesn't even matter, because the Hard Mode epilogue overrides the other two (meaning Hard Mode makes it so that you can't get the ending achievement for either of the outcomes of option 1).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

All Good Advice. The first runthrough I am trying to do it what-I-might-do RPG style, but plan on going back for Real Men Playing Games mode afterwards, at which point I will toss the friends out like nothing.

Sure glad I am not spending time grinding magazines when they keep all getting stolen from me.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Joy makes you feel better and buffs you up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

pon alien posted:

Joy makes you feel better and buffs you up.
It makes you a weak and selfish quitter. :colbert:

I'm at the beginning of Act 3 and going back and doing some Act 2 sidequests right now and it is a good game. I think some of the mechanics are just cheap bullshit but most of it is fine. I actually went through Russian Roulette without a single death on my first try.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 22, 2015

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

I actually went through Russian Roulette without a single death on my first try.

Isn't that impossible since the last guy can survive a single bullet? Or is that random too? A pity if it is, that was a huge "holy poo poo" moment.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Accordion Man posted:

It makes you a weak and selfish quitter. :colbert:

I'm at the beginning of Act 3 and going back and doing some Act 2 sidequests right now and it is a good game. I think some of the mechanics are just cheap bullshit but most of it is fine. I actually went through Russian Roulette without a single death on my first try.

Do you mean you went thru the mandatory amount of plot required russian roulette games with no death, or do you mean you completed ALL russian roulette games in the entire game with no death? If it's the latter, you may have used up all of your video game related luck for the rest of your life in one sitting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't that impossible since the last guy can survive a single bullet? Or is that random too? A pity if it is, that was a huge "holy poo poo" moment.

He always survives, but iirc both your guns are reset.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless poster posted:

Do you mean you went thru the mandatory amount of plot required russian roulette games with no death, or do you mean you completed ALL russian roulette games in the entire game with no death? If it's the latter, you may have used up all of your video game related luck for the rest of your life in one sitting.
Yeah, the former.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I would consider Percy surviving Russian Roulette to be bad luck.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I kind of like Percy.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i think i am probably the wrong audience for the game because i couldn't bring myself to use dudes that were objectively cooler but mechanically non-optimal. really wanted to use the tiger head guy or the fish lawyer, but nothing can compare to the combat effectiveness of a drunk guy who barfs oil and a homeless man who keeps fire in his duffel bag.

i know the answer is follow your heart but damnit my heart says to use the team that's the most min/maxed.

EDIT: i did appreciate that the tiger guy took the piss out of every boss you ever fight that later joins your team, because he was a beast to fight against and then completely underwhelming once he joins you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, tiger guy sucks, but fish lawyer is pretty drat solid.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Broken Cog posted:

Uh, tiger guy sucks, but fish lawyer is pretty drat solid.

my issue is that a water attack doesn't fit well on team FIREBALLZ, and there's almost no enemies that are otherwise weak to water.

from a character standpoint though, his little intro vignette was rad as hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

my issue is that a water attack doesn't fit well on team FIREBALLZ, and there's almost no enemies that are otherwise weak to water.

from a character standpoint though, his little intro vignette was rad as hell.

You don't use Harvey for his fishness, you use him for his lawyerness. He's a great debuffer.

My dreamteam is Terry, Birdie, and Fly. Birdie oiling the enemy plus Terry's Super Hot Dance does ridiculous damage, and Fly just completely shuts every enemy down with his debuffs, and does good damage via poison.

My other dreamteam is Carp, Harvey, and Fly. With Harvey and Fly you have access to pretty much every debuff aside form Oil, and Carp turns every enemy that doesn't have an instant death attack into a cute pile of fluff, since two of his offensive debuff slashes will make every enemy do single digit damage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Beat the game, I pretty much used the same team of Olan, Nern, and Mad Dog so that ending, yeah.

I actually didn't run into instant kills at all, must have really nerfed them, which I'm cool with. They sounded bullshit instead of hard and I like that otherwise the game was hard in the sense of a Mega Ten game where it makes you use your whole arsenal of moves and fight dirty.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Accordion Man posted:

Beat the game, I pretty much used the same team of Olan, Nern, and Mad Dog so that ending, yeah.

I actually didn't run into instant kills at all, must have really nerfed them, which I'm cool with. They sounded bullshit instead of hard and I like that otherwise the game was hard in the sense of a Mega Ten game where it makes you use your whole arsenal of moves and fight dirty.

The insta-kill moves are supposedly rare, and if you use a team that is heavy on debuffs like anger or depression or knocked down you can basically get it so that the few monsters that could use them never do. I also suspect that they might have a higher chance of being used on pain mode, but it still comes down to the RNG. I've also had weird stuff happen where a monster uses an insta-kill move but it just reduced my dude to zero HP and didn't actually kill him permanently, so ymmv.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
From what I could tell Satan is the only enemy that does kill moves often enough to really worry about them. I found myself not worrying about deaths too much since before I played I was under the impression that there wasn't any regular KOs, that if a character lost all their health they were dead. The actual mechanic turned out to be a bit more lenient. :v:

Anatharon posted:

He always survives, but iirc both your guns are reset.

Poor bastard got two bullets in the chamber, I guess.

I've heard that your success at Russian roulette is based off of your character's luck, but I'm really skeptical of that since Ollie's horrible luck got him through at least 6 rounds, every single one with the opponent dying on their first turn. If it's really based on luck than the odds of that must've been insanely low.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I doubt it, based on how many save/loads I've done to try to get certain people through it. Seems pretty drat 50/50 to me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pigbuster posted:

From what I could tell Satan is the only enemy that does kill moves often enough to really worry about them. I found myself not worrying about deaths too much since before I played I was under the impression that there wasn't any regular KOs, that if a character lost all their health they were dead. The actual mechanic turned out to be a bit more lenient. :v:
I actually annihilated Satan by just keeping him stunlocked with Brad's Super Headbutt. And then Olan and Mad Dog just dished out poo poo tons of damage while Nern buffed their TP.

Also THE SHOCKMASTER being a party member is fantastic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I kind of like Percy.

He makes such a bad first impression that he always is first in line for roulette, and I've never had good luck with that so he just blows his brains out. So I've never really given him the time of day but frankly I don't want too.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Million Ghosts posted:

I doubt it, based on how many save/loads I've done to try to get certain people through it. Seems pretty drat 50/50 to me.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The luck thing sounds like an olde time-y videoe game rumore.

Accordion Man posted:

I actually annihilated Satan by just keeping him stunlocked with Brad's Super Headbutt. And then Olan and Mad Dog just dished out poo poo tons of damage while Nern buffed their TP.

Also THE SHOCKMASTER being a party member is fantastic.

I worried too much about losing my favorite guys so I sent in the underleveled Z-crew. They all gave their lives bravely/ineptly for the cause.

Shocklord is the best. I love how I expected him to be terrible but there was a slow realization of "...he's dealing 1,000+ to everyone every turn, isn't he". The ending, though. He can't even bring himself to fight at all. :(

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I kind of like Percy.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Russian Roulette is a straight one-die roll, nothing complex about it if I recall.

Get a... I want to say 6, and you die.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
If you're not using Geese in your party, you're a sucker.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Geese was my best pal in my first run. After beating the game I looked at his character card and suddenly I didn't like him as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey what parts of the game does Dr. Yado appear in? I pretty much explored everything in the game and never saw him once.

• Locked thread