Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wanted to kill most Nord women I met in that game

CURRVED SWOARDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The guy who did that merchant with the angry sister right at the start of the game (skyrim) is so horrible to listen to. He also did the castanic guards in TERA Online and listening to him going "I'm laughing,... but with you, not at you" was the worst.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is Liam Neeson going to be lending his voice to this?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Good lord you are literally the thickest individual on the planet earth.

quote:

No, I got all the DLC. Your predefined character in NV has a concrete backstory and the game railroads you into content much more than 3 or previous Fallout games.

The backstory of the PC in New Vegas is "You are a guy who delivers packages on occasion. One time, you delivered a package and a town blew up, not that you noticed." That's it. If you don't see how this is less restrictive than having your entire life story laid out to you in 3 I don't know what to tell you.

quote:

Sorry, but I reject that. If 10% of it is for e-peen, 90% of that path is to railroad the player into the path that force-feeds you poo poo To Care About. The main railroaded route in NV is an extended version of what Fallout 3 managed to do in the Baby->Toddler->Teenager stuff. The game fails on a story level if you get to Vegas without being told why the city is important, so you actively discourage any other path than one that does so.

The point of the extended path in New Vegas is to introduce the player to each of the major factions, establish the central conflict enveloping the Mojave, and allow the player to come to their own conclusions about which faction is right or wrong, if anyone. The purpose of the intro in Fallout 3 is to introduce your character's extremely rigid backstory, of which a part is "You have a dad". And if you need to be told why an intact pre-war city is important in a loving Fallout game, I don't even know what to tell you, except for the fact that you missed the entire loving point-the city's not important, it's the Dam.

quote:

No, I understand it, I think you've got 3 and NV backwards in that respect. NV does (and has to) go over how important the Big Groups in question are, because you start with zero fucks about a made up city. 3 doesn't have to do any of that because, ya know, you're told its your character's dad and "your dad left you and you want to find out where he went" is something that works for most people.

Finding your lovely dad who abandoned you is a compelling character hook, but "Find the person who shot you and took your stuff" isn't?

Please, for the love of god, just stop posting. You don't know what the gently caress you're talking about in any respect towards either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, you are incapable of understanding basic text, and you're somehow managing to make this thread even shittier than it actually is. Just stop.

And urgh, that perk system. I really hope it's going to be easy to mod in a more traditional system, since I wasn't a huge fan of the perk trees in Skyrim and I'd much prefer to be able to just pick and choose them like you could in 3 and NV.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Turns out he plays the baby. It's really weird.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I hope so, I want to be drat sure I know where all their budget went instead of the important poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

enraged_camel posted:

Honestly this was my main issue with Skyrim. I could deal with all the little bugs and kinks in the game, but hearing the same god drat voice actors every two minutes drove me nuts.

I liked the NPCs that would randomly and radically switch the voices they used, especially the beggers who one minute would be croaking about how they're a poor old beggar. Then suddenly turn into a stuffy lady and start telling me how I'm good with magic.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One time, you delivered a package and a town blew up, not that you noticed." That's it.

Then why did they make an entire DLC about making me feel bad about it?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Turns out he plays the baby. It's really weird.

Especially once you notice that everything the baby says is just variations on dialogue from Taken.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

megalodong posted:

The guy who did that merchant with the angry sister right at the start of the game (skyrim) is so horrible to listen to. He also did the castanic guards in TERA Online and listening to him going "I'm laughing,... but with you, not at you" was the worst.

But Aaaaadam! It's evolution, people will be left behind!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In Fallout 4, there will be a brief (perhaps half a dozen rounds, total) "arena" quest where the player will be pitted against various permutations of mutated wildlife (a la New Vegas' "Thorn") and raiders, prisoners, and other flavors of gladiator. Upon winning and being crowned champion of the arena, the player will be rewarded with a lovely unique set of painted red leather armor. However, if the player errs in judgement and sells the leather armor to any vendor, within 72 in-game hours a wild-eyed NPC will home in on the player. "I found this at a local merchant and they said you'd be here!" he'll scream; from that point on, he will follow you around and fawn over everything you do. "We're crouching? You're so sneaky!" "You're so clever with computers!" "Your legs as so strong! I bet you could crush my head between those thighs!" Some of the lines will be vaguely sinister, and he will periodically wake you up in the middle of a sleep/rest period, looming over you with a smile. "Sorry, just standing guard! Go back to sleep!"

He will be an essential NPC.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

frajaq posted:

Then why did they make an entire DLC about making me feel bad about it?

Because those irradiated Deathclaws aren't gonna mow themselves down with .45 Super. :colbert:

Also to go "Your actions have unintended consequences!" through Ulysses. Back in the day there was some interesting discussion in the New Vegas thread about Ulysses' broken mental state and how he's basically trying to find someone to blame for what boils down to "poo poo happens", but if I'm gonna be honest that DLC was a bit of a letdown. Too much pseudo-philosophy, even if the point was simply supposed to be that "Ulysses is just loving crazy".

Edit: Basically that one conversation with Kriea in KOTOR 2 where the guy you give money to gets mugged expanded to an entire DLC.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 17, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I hope I can leave my nuked wife and baby for a hot dude and start an east coast NCR.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Goons. Goons never changes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Because those irradiated Deathclaws aren't gonna mow themselves down with .45 Super. :colbert:

Also to go "Your actions have unintended consequences!" through Ulysses. Back in the day there was some interesting discussion in the New Vegas thread about Ulysses' broken mental state and how he's basically trying to find someone to blame for what boils down to "poo poo happens", but if I'm gonna be honest that DLC was a bit of a letdown. Too much pseudo-philosophy, even if the point was simply supposed to be that "Ulysses is just loving crazy".

Lonesome Road was probably the only part of New Vegas I found really disappointing, especially after so much build up, the answer being "Welp, he's nuts" was bullshit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

Lonesome Road was probably the only part of New Vegas I found really disappointing, especially after so much build up, the answer being "Welp, he's nuts" was bullshit.

Yeah, it had some interesting themes and I didn't mind Ulysses as much as many others seem to have, but it was a much different experience than I was expecting and it wasn't really that satisfying compared to the other DLCs and NV proper. Plus I wasn't much of a fan of the new weapons, though the Elite Riot Armor was neat and the Scorched Sierra Power Armor would have been kick-rear end for going down the NCR route if getting it didn't involve, you know, blowing up the NCR.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And urgh, that perk system. I really hope it's going to be easy to mod in a more traditional system, since I wasn't a huge fan of the perk trees in Skyrim and I'd much prefer to be able to just pick and choose them like you could in 3 and NV.

The best mod for Skyrim was a goon made mod that toke the boring Skyrim skill system and converted to be more like Fallout's skill/perks set-up. Hearing that Bethesda is literal doing the reverse for Fallout is just about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.
:ughh:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Nuebot posted:

If you killed plot important people in morrowind the game just kind of shrugged and let you gently caress yourself as deep into the ground as you could. If you wanted an unwinnable plot that was your doing.
This is a complete lie. The biggest complaint at the time was wandering around the world and suddenly seeing "the thread of fate has been severed" because a main quest NPC somewhere died and there was nothing you could do about it. The game didn't even bother explaining what it was supposed to mean, I remember people asking about it thinking it was part of a quest.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I don't even know what "Radiant AI" means.
It's the marketing term for their scheduling and AI system. Everything an NPC did that did not involve attacking the player had to be scripted by hand. If you wanted an NPC to run around town stealing all the calipers you would need to know where all the calipers are and path the NPC to those locations. Because scripts are resource intensive, you can't do it anyway. With Radiant AI this takes seconds to accomplish as the NPC AI does all the work. In Oblivion, M'aiq The Liar had 3 AI packages, one of which had him wander around the game world picking up calipers. In Skyrim they moved quests to a similar system, taking it out of the scripting system. The Witcher 3 uses a similar system as Morrowind, which is why NPCs all stand in one spot except for the dynamically created ones that follow a pre-created path to waddle down and spit at you.

Back Hack posted:

The best mod for Skyrim was a goon made mod that toke the boring Skyrim skill system and converted to be more like Fallout's skill/perks set-up. Hearing that Bethesda is literal doing the reverse for Fallout is just about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.
:ughh:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24445/ Please tell me you're joking, nobody could possibly confuse SPERG with Fallout's SPECIAL system. Or are you just trying to be cute and funny and completely failing.

Edit: Like Microsoft when they try to release a new product.

Double edit: SPECIAL let's you pick a perk every two levels, SPERG let's you pick any perk at any time as long as the skill level meets it and you have a skill point. SPECIAL has you put points into each skill, SPERG you level up skills by using them and have a random skill increase by completing a quest. SPERG gives you auto-perks at different skill levels, SPECIAL doesn't. SPERG has unlimited levels, SPECIAL doesn't. SPERG let's you gain extra skill points by defeating certain monster types, SPECIAL doesn't.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 17, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The purpose of the intro in Fallout 3 is to introduce your character's extremely rigid backstory, of which a part is "You have a dad".

Quick, brief, innately effective since everyone has a family and the sudden loss of one works well in the motivation department.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And if you need to be told why an intact pre-war city is important in a loving Fallout game, I don't even know what to tell you, except for the fact that you missed the entire loving point-the city's not important, it's the Dam.

Given that New Vegas (as a story) is basically the Scouring Of The Shire or the Fifth Season of Babylon 5 (since the Super Mutants and Enclave were removed from the picture in F1 and F2, respectively, removing the series only two Significant Threats), and the city itself is a relatively-ruined place run by barely-above-tribals, yes, I do need to be told why these things are important.

I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with them needing such a long railroading aspect to get players motivated, I'm simply pointing out how railroaded NV is.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Finding your lovely dad who abandoned you is a compelling character hook, but "Find the person who shot you and took your stuff" isn't?

Where are you getting "lovely dad" from? But to answer your question, "Find your dad" is much more compelling.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What main quest NPCs in Morrowind would possibly be at threat of just randomly dropping dead? Out of all I remember, none of them were even close to dangerous enemies. Sounds like you're making poo poo up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Where are you getting "lovely dad" from? But to answer your question, "Find your dad" is much more compelling.

To an RPG player?

Who cares about dads, some guy killed me and took my loot. I will kill everyone on the planet if it gets me my loot back.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

SunAndSpring posted:

What main quest NPCs in Morrowind would possibly be at threat of just randomly dropping dead? Out of all I remember, none of them were even close to dangerous enemies. Sounds like you're making poo poo up.

It's hard to find posts about it since all the popular forums from the time are dead now, but here's one from four years ago referring to it while talking about Skyrim. I know you're just going to claim I made the post myself, or I have it in my vast repository of fake posts people made to back me up, but I found it just now. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/59971363

quote:

i remember randomly walking from time to time and getting that message for no apparent reason rofl.

buggy game :D

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

No, I got all the DLC. Your predefined character in NV has a concrete backstory and the game railroads you into content much more than 3 or previous Fallout games.

Thanks for posting this man. So many people jerking off to NV, as they should, but they keep forgetting that your character had a backstory.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

maybe some ashlanders

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What RPGs have people even been playing where the player character has absolutely no backstory and is a completely blank canvas with no mandatory plot related characteristics?

I actually can't think of any and don't understand why people are up in arms over your falloutman or falloutlady having the incredible in-depth history of "family haver"

"I was super pissed off when New Vegas kept saying I was a courier, I would never be a courier in real life! And when KOTOR revealed that I was Revan all along, I am definitely not a Sith Lord why would they make me have once been one?!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

What RPGs have people even been playing where the player character has absolutely no backstory and is a completely blank canvas with no mandatory plot related characteristics?

Roguelikes, mostly. Some of the arguments I've seen in this thread make it seem like certain people want Fallout to basically be a 3D Nethack. Which would actually be a cool concept, but lovely for a mass market RPG that has to appeal to people other than grognards.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

turboraton posted:

Thanks for posting this man. So many people jerking off to NV, as they should, but they keep forgetting that your character had a backstory.

Again though, look at the level of forced backstory you have between NV and 3. One of them is "you are a courier in the West and delivered packages around Californa and Nevada" and the other is "this is your entire life from birth to your dad bailing."

All Fallout games force some level of backstory on you, this isn't deniable. But 3 was a lot more rigid with it's backstory, and it looks that 4 will be the same deal. Forcing such a rigid backstory in these games isn't really a good thing either. because it can lead to issues where gameplay clashes with your backstory. Like, why would a teenager fresh out of a vault blow up a town, for example. Even better, why would the Sherrif trust a teenager fresh out of a vault to tinker with the massive bomb in the first place.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

turboraton posted:

Your character had a premise, like every RPG character does, and they used it in different ways to give you a wide variety of options to expand on you character as you wished. Fallout 3 doesn't do that and Fallout 4's premise doesn't lend itself to that.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Like, why would a teenager fresh out of a vault blow up a town, for example. Even better, why would the Sherrif trust a teenager fresh out of a vault to tinker with the massive bomb in the first place.
Because the people who made this game are the same people who thought it made sense for settlers to build a town around an undetonated nuclear warhead in the first place.

E: I think part of the difference between New Vegas' and FO3's backstories is that one is an occupation, which can be taken up by wide varieties of people for a number of reasons in their life, while the other literally defines that person's upbringing.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 17, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Your character had a premise, like every RPG character does, and they used it in different ways to give you a wide variety of options to expand on you character as you wished. Fallout 3 doesn't do that and Fallout 4's premise doesn't lend itself to that.

Why not?

You can play whatever character you like in fallout 3 and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to in fallout 4?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Again though, look at the level of forced backstory you have between NV and 3. One of them is "you are a courier in the West and delivered packages around Californa and Nevada" and the other is "this is your entire life from birth to your dad bailing."

All Fallout games force some level of backstory on you, this isn't deniable. But 3 was a lot more rigid with it's backstory, and it looks that 4 will be the same deal. Forcing such a rigid backstory in these games isn't really a good thing either. because it can lead to issues where gameplay clashes with your backstory. Like, why would a teenager fresh out of a vault blow up a town, for example. Even better, why would the Sherrif trust a teenager fresh out of a vault to tinker with the massive bomb in the first place.

Because this "teenager" is actually an elderly man who is in fact older than his own dad, and is wearing Boba Fett's entire outfit, and has neon pink hair and an eye patch. And is smoking a cigarillo. And has an erect penis that he attaches to himself like any other piece of clothing or equipment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 3 was no more rigid than Fallout 2. The most famous and arguably popular game in the series made you the grandson of the first game's protagonist, sent out by your elderly mother (who is the leader of your tribe) to recover a GECK to save the village from disaster. It has a forced tutorial segment that's easily as long as the Fallout 3 prologue could be, plus further prologue content in Arroyo itself where you could easily spend a good 45 to 60 minutes just doing poo poo around the village and the Temple of Trials before even entering the main sandbox. Both let you optionally choose pre-made characters with their own backstories provided. The first two games even had hard time limits on the main quest, with the first being so restrictive that it was actually a credible threat to time out and get a game over (so credible that they included a sidequest that let you extend the time limit). The nature of the travel system in the original two games also made exploration a hassle, as without directions from NPCs you could only run blindly through the fog of war and hope that whatever map square you uncovered would reveal a settlement.

If anything, Fallout 3 really loosened up the system of the first two games. You still have a rigid backstory to your birth (though you only have your Vault "origin" and your dad leaving set in stone, since you do character creation in this prologue and thus create your character from a mostly blank slate), but the timer is eliminated so you can wander the sandbox all you please. The new 3D world makes exploring much easier, and the game encourages exploration and doing side quests to the point where as soon as you leave Vault 101 you can do whatever you want and run off in whatever direction you want with impunity.

I know it's trendy for the purists to hate on Fallout 3, but it's important to understand that New Vegas's minor level of player backstory and open-ended plot are really different from how Fallout has traditionally been; even though it was made by a lot of the same team as the original games and takes place in the same region with some of the same players, its setup is extremely different from its predecessors. It's fine to argue that New Vegas is the best Fallout game (I certainly would), but it's just plain wrong to argue that Fallout 3 was somehow a step backwards or that 3 and 4's storytelling are somehow more rigid than the series normally goes.

quote:

E: I think part of the difference between New Vegas' and FO3's backstories is that one is an occupation, which can be taken up by wide varieties of people for a number of reasons in their life, while the other literally defines that person's upbringing.

But it really doesn't. Like I said, the only things set in stone in Fallout 3 are that the Lone Wanderer was raised in Vault 101 and their dad ran away, forcing them to escape after him. Your character's actual personality is formed through the prologue and character interactions, letting you be as nasty or saintly as you please and only dealing with the kind of people you like. Nothing in your upbringing is "defined" other than your hometown.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Why not?

You can play whatever character you like in fallout 3 and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to in fallout 4?

Don't think for a second that the protagonist's family won't be a huge part of the main plot, and that the writing won't try to punish you if you're not into the idea of stepping into the role of a 1950s suburbanite ex-military parent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Do you mean no backstory as in you have multiple options that can fit into the story just fine? Because tons of games would fulfill that. Pillars of Eternity would count because you can be any sort of class and work through the game, even if your past life is very important.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Praetorian Mage posted:

Don't think for a second that the protagonist's family won't be a huge part of the main plot, and that the writing won't try to punish you if you're not into the idea of stepping into the role of a 1950s suburbanite ex-military parent.

Why? Literally what is there that makes it look like this is the case?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What perturbs me about all this talk of permadeath and stuff is that the easy solution is pretty obvious.

Sure, leave it so that NPC's can't be killed by monsters, whatever. But if I, as a player, shoot a guy, that's probably a sign the game engine should let him die, fail quests or warn me that you just hosed over an important NPC and offer a resurrect option when interacting with the corpse.

It doesn't have to be super complicated or realistic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praetorian Mage posted:

Uhhhh why?

I mean, you could basically tell everyone to get hosed every step of the way during the fallout 3 plot, as well as ignore the plot entirely if you wanted to.

You are required to do plot things to progress the plot, obviously, because that is how a story works, but you can approach it in a variety of ways.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh why?

I mean, you could basically tell everyone to get hosed every step of the way during the fallout 3 plot, as well as ignore the plot entirely if you wanted to.

You are required to do plot things to progress the plot, obviously, because that is how a story works, but you can approach it in a variety of ways.

It's a Bethesda game, ignoring the main plot to go build Kickass City is just fine. I mean, how many people actually completed Oblivion and Skyrim's main quests?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Why? Literally what is there that makes it look like this is the case?

Well, they did it in Fallout 3. Also, why bother establishing all that stuff if you're not going to use it?

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh why?

That's the problem - I don't want to have to tell everyone to get hosed. I'd rather not be in that position in the first place. What I'm anticipating is that people playing good characters will be forced to pick the "I miss my spouse and kid" dialogue options or risk being inconsistent with the rest of their character's behavior. Sure, you could be an rear end in a top hat who says "gently caress my family" because you're an rear end in a top hat, but what if you want to be a good guy who just didn't go for the whole "wife and kids" thing?

Personally, I'd much prefer if games like this gave you a chance to build your backstory from some different options during character creation. Kind of like what they did with Mass Effect, but with more options. I think that would be a much bigger innovation than just giving your character a voice actor.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

closeted republican posted:

It's a Bethesda game, ignoring the main plot to go build Kickass City is just fine. I mean, how many people actually completed Oblivion and Skyrim's main quests?

Oblivion yes, skyrim no. Honestly since skyrim has alternate start mods I don't usually bother getting dragons to appear in most games, too busy messing about in the rest of the game.

• Locked thread