Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Cross posting the progress on my bikes. Warlock is not done yet and the roses still need to be added and then a coat or two of matte varnish applied. The lines may look a little uneven in a few of the photos but that's just the bike contours and the contrast of the white - in reality they're pretty straight. The Farseer and Warlock hoods are all white because I plan on a lot of roses/vines there.

For the record, I loving hate the new flying stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Boon posted:

For the record, I loving hate the new flying stands.

They look like the flying stands from 3rd edition. They allowed you to freely pose the models on that axis but broke all the time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Love those checkerboard patterns. Is there any particular trick to them (beyond, I assume, having steady hands?)?
Thanks! I just draw out the grid with a thin brush then fill in the checks. I go back afterwards and clean them up a lot, which is the really important part.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You can stick a strip of masking tape on to your cutting board and slice thin strips out of it. Use those to mask out perfect checker patterns if you want. 3M's blue tape is perfect for use on acrylic surfaces, won't damage them at all and sticking it to a clean surface first won't effect the tack. Just make sure to use a soft rubber eraser or a Q-tip or something to burnish down the tape prior to painting. Will help to avoid getting a raised edge when you lift up the tape.

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man
Painting a squat

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011

magnetbox posted:

Painting a squat

That looks incredible, I dig the hair tones.

Here's the result of my first attempt at painting minis.

Oops, didn't realize how bad I was at this. Image expunged.

BashfulBanana fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 15, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

magnetbox posted:

Painting a squat

Woah, who made that model?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think it's one of the subscription only White Dwarf figures from GW.

Loving the hair and the rebellion-orange jumpsuit :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah, the paint job is great, but I can't get over how awesome a model this is

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

They look like the flying stands from 3rd edition. They allowed you to freely pose the models on that axis but broke all the time.

Couldn't you just not use the stupid swivel bit? I am thankful I never ran into them personally, but I have seen the photos. When I was looking for base suppliers for my starships I found that having that little tilting bit made the base cost like 20x more than a plain one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Z the IVth posted:

Couldn't you just not use the stupid swivel bit? I am thankful I never ran into them personally, but I have seen the photos. When I was looking for base suppliers for my starships I found that having that little tilting bit made the base cost like 20x more than a plain one.

the clear flying stands suck. I end up making most of my own flying bases for that reason.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
"Ima comin' fer yer scalp next..."

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

It's a cool concept: since there is a pedestal for the model that sits on, it allows this zooming, fast-moving thing to be posed in different ways, that's neat! It cannot be done with models that are on the ground. It's hardly any different than how the Dreadnaught model is really, really good because the arms can be snug-fit for both removing destroyed weapons and posing during different "scenes" of a game. This is a dumb game, posing our silly space warriors is fun!

But, someone engineered the shape and chose a material that is not only too brittle for a snap-fit rotating bracket to inevitably break but also too brittle to even support... Come on, the little tiny peg at the end of the very, very brittle pedestal is just as bad and it still haunts our collective nightmares.

Have even the basic flying bases changed? I'm pretty sure they're the same clear plastic that has a tiny peg on the end to mount models. It's the reason why every salty modeler familiar with this game tells new players to bore out the mounting hole so that the ENTIRE flying stand can be snugly stuck inside. At least Citadel had the sense to make the column tapered instead of a cylinder, that would be a nightmare beyond nightmares... like getting Ebola then infecting your family with it by mistake! (Okay, maybe none of these modeling snafu's matter and it's not that bad).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm new to airbrushing but am gonna be looking to pick one up soon. I know there are goon recommendations for them already.

My question is painting area / ventilation / etc. I live in SoCal so I should be able to just do this poo poo on my apartment balcony, right? Get a little table, set up a box/etc to catch overspill, wear a good mask, call it a day?

Are there any concerns with ambient temperature for airbrushing?

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Help me painting goons! I am painting this guy pink for my daughter. Everything was going fine until I started the final layer. I've been using a glaze technique to get to the point in this photo:

When I started the final layer I got this:

It goes on rather grainy. It is Vallejo squid pink. Do I need to give him a simple green bath and start over? I wouldn't be too upset if that were the case.

PyroDwarf fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2015

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

ijyt posted:

Yeah, the paint job is great, but I can't get over how awesome a model this is

wha

Did that dwarf catch a goblin that was pretending to be a gray alien

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's the black goblin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

I'm new to airbrushing but am gonna be looking to pick one up soon. I know there are goon recommendations for them already.

My question is painting area / ventilation / etc. I live in SoCal so I should be able to just do this poo poo on my apartment balcony, right? Get a little table, set up a box/etc to catch overspill, wear a good mask, call it a day?

Are there any concerns with ambient temperature for airbrushing?

Sup duder. Sweet new avatar. I see the games industry is still treating you swell.

You'll be fine with that setup. I live in San Francisco and my work station is basically a desk near a well ventilated window. If I do a lot of work I fire up a fan so it goes out the window. Otherwise I just wear a good respirator (don't just buy a cloth mask, those basically do nothing). Humidity and temperature can help or hinder your paint job, but with the stable dry climate we have it's not an issue.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Post 9-11 User posted:

It's a cool concept: since there is a pedestal for the model that sits on, it allows this zooming, fast-moving thing to be posed in different ways, that's neat! It cannot be done with models that are on the ground. It's hardly any different than how the Dreadnaught model is really, really good because the arms can be snug-fit for both removing destroyed weapons and posing during different "scenes" of a game. This is a dumb game, posing our silly space warriors is fun!

But, someone engineered the shape and chose a material that is not only too brittle for a snap-fit rotating bracket to inevitably break but also too brittle to even support... Come on, the little tiny peg at the end of the very, very brittle pedestal is just as bad and it still haunts our collective nightmares.

Have even the basic flying bases changed? I'm pretty sure they're the same clear plastic that has a tiny peg on the end to mount models. It's the reason why every salty modeler familiar with this game tells new players to bore out the mounting hole so that the ENTIRE flying stand can be snugly stuck inside. At least Citadel had the sense to make the column tapered instead of a cylinder, that would be a nightmare beyond nightmares... like getting Ebola then infecting your family with it by mistake! (Okay, maybe none of these modeling snafu's matter and it's not that bad).

I swear by that stiff floral wire stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PyroDwarf posted:

Help me painting goons! I am painting this guy pink for my daughter. Everything was going fine until I started the final layer. I've been using a glaze technique to get to the point in this photo:

When I started the final layer I got this:

It goes on rather grainy. It is Vallejo squid pink. Do I need to give him a simple green bath and start over? I wouldn't be too upset if that were the case.

You watered it down too much and the pigment separated. There's no coming back from that except painting over it with your base colour again.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

You watered it down too much and the pigment separated. There's no coming back from that except painting over it with your base colour again.

Whelp. Simple green it is. Would using thinner medium instead of water help?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PyroDwarf posted:

Yeah, thats exactly what medium is designed to do. Keep the pigment together but just stretch it instead of separating like too much water will cause.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PyroDwarf posted:

Yes. But even then don't over do it. Or just buy glazes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Can't you just over paint it using a less watered down paint? It's armor, so you really won't be obscuring detail.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The face and the wolf look great so far, you could do some surgery to pull the legs off and dunk those. Light sanding might save it, maybe not.

Even if you separate the legs, though, the color of the torso and legs might be different.

Political cartoons bleeding into mini gaming, ohhh nooo! :psyduck:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Post 9-11 User posted:

The face and the wolf look great so far, you could do some surgery to pull the legs off and dunk those. Light sanding might save it, maybe not.

Even if you separate the legs, though, the color of the torso and legs might be different.

IMO, the guy looks good. Just paint his beard braids to look like a blue-green-yellow-red rainbow, and it will look like his butt is the start of the spectrum.

The wolf could use a little violet underlighting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Political cartoons bleeding into mini gaming, ohhh nooo! :psyduck:

Not to be pedantic, but that's clearly more a reference to model hobbies rather than mini wargaming. Even without the Airfix/Blairfix pun, it's pretty clear those Labour figures are the wrong scale for wargaming :colbert:

:v:

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Callidus assassin:

Bit boring to paint, so I'm happy to be done. It's probably a more interesting mini if you can do cool light source effects properly, but I'm not that good. It was a pain to assemble too - there are no guide pins for her legs, which are a) separate from the torso and b) two separate pieces. I don't think I screwed up overmuch placement-wise and yet still had to do quite a bit of greenstuffing. If you gently caress up majorly, you'll have to deal with a literal gaping rear end-crack.

Topknot breakage count: 2 so far. :toot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Even if you were bored painting it, it still looks absolutely lovely. Those are some razor sharp highlights.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks all. I was pretty happy with the wolf. However, there was an issue with primer rubbing off in some spots. There was also a bit of an issue that I'm pretty sure was the result of airbrush cleaner being dusted over the body.

On a related note, I keep my airbrush really clean, but the paint was barely coming out. I had to really crank the psi. The gasket on the air hose to gun connection is shot, but air is still coming out, just with no paint. Ideas?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

yeah.

i wish i could do those light yet razor highlights :smith:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

PyroDwarf posted:

On a related note, I keep my airbrush really clean, but the paint was barely coming out. I had to really crank the psi. The gasket on the air hose to gun connection is shot, but air is still coming out, just with no paint. Ideas?

Maybe it's time for the whole brush to get a soak in some type of solvent/ultrasonic bath? Does water shoot out of it?

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

Maybe it's time for the whole brush to get a soak in some type of solvent/ultrasonic bath? Does water shoot out of it?

Water would shoot out at around 30 psi, what I had to paint at. Nothing at 15 psi or so. Took it apart and found that the needle was bent. Straightened it out and water comes out at 15-ish psi.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So I'm at a weird point with my WIP Deathwing and I'm looking for input.

These are my pre-wash WIP test models, I use a deliberately sloppy drybrushing technique to tet the 'grainy/stone' effect that the camera doesn't really capture. I'm torn on a couple of things and looking for input.

I really like the ashy and muted tone of the armor and I'm trying to decide if I carry it into the rest of the model or if I should have those parts pop more.

The paints are basically dust when they hit the model, and it's done in 5 layers that didn't really show as well as I would have liked in my first batch. I'm worried that a wash will fill in the texture or reconstitute the pigments.

Also just looking for feedback in general.

This is basically all base layer except for the drybrushing. I'm still up in the air about it.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 17, 2015

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's fantastic. Looks like older pitted steel.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're going to drybrush the armor like that with so much contrast you need to think more about light sourcing because right now it's causing some weird shadow stuff where your drybrush hasn't colored random parts as much as the others (tops of the shoulders). Also I assume since it's WIP you're going to still pick out a lot of the details, because right now you desperately need to break up the huge swaths of single color you have going on parts of the armor. A heavy wash will help and honestly it will help create breaks between the armor and the other colors.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
EEB is right. Just use the wash as a shadow and leave it off the parts you consider to be lit (top if you're doing zenithal).

The texture looks like halloween foam headstones to me. Which I think works great for the theme, but is also a little uniform in texture.

Paint some wash on deliberately to act as contrast, rather than applying it all over.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So I'm at a weird point with my WIP Deathwing and I'm looking for input.

These are my pre-wash WIP test models, I use a deliberately sloppy drybrushing technique to tet the 'grainy/stone' effect that the camera doesn't really capture. I'm torn on a couple of things and looking for input.

I really like the ashy and muted tone of the armor and I'm trying to decide if I carry it into the rest of the model or if I should have those parts pop more.

The paints are basically dust when they hit the model, and it's done in 5 layers that didn't really show as well as I would have liked in my first batch. I'm worried that a wash will fill in the texture or reconstitute the pigments.

Also just looking for feedback in general.

This is basically all base layer except for the drybrushing. I'm still up in the air about it.

drill them barrels

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where the heck can I buy Vallejo online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Literally The Worst posted:

Where the heck can I buy Vallejo online?

The War Store