Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
IMHO, blame the beetle infront of the camera if you wanna complain about left hand clingers. The poster can't just accelerate through that car or tailgate them and be a shithead in the process.

If its totally free flowing then yeah, get to the right. But if you are maintaining distance with the person you are following then theres not much you can do. Theres times where every lane is basically going 55-65 and theres no "horizontal movement" (lanes passing other lanes) and really there's nothing you can do. Being in San Diego, this is common. If there is someone completely blocking the #1 lane, just move to the #2 lane, pass, and get back into the fast lane.

The only assholes in that video are the ones going 20+ over traffic flow and barely keeping their cars in control and freaking everyone else out with really dumb aggo driving.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drukqs posted:

not sure if I spammed this here yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg5iU4MbVM

Something I really don't get is why people overtake trucks on the right.

Just hang back for a couple of seconds, give them space to merge all the way to the right, and then pass them on the left. So much safer for all involved.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I love flashing my high beams and letting 18 wheelers change lanes/merge infront of me and they give me the hazard signal thank you flash. :3:

They are probably really confused its a BMW thats letting them in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chinatown posted:

IMHO, blame the beetle infront of the camera if you wanna complain about left hand clingers. The poster can't just accelerate through that car or tailgate them and be a shithead in the process.

If its totally free flowing then yeah, get to the right. But if you are maintaining distance with the person you are following then theres not much you can do. Theres times where every lane is basically going 55-65 and theres no "horizontal movement" (lanes passing other lanes) and really there's nothing you can do. Being in San Diego, this is common. If there is someone completely blocking the #1 lane, just move to the #2 lane, pass, and get back into the fast lane.

The only assholes in that video are the ones going 20+ over traffic flow and barely keeping their cars in control and freaking everyone else out with really dumb aggo driving.

And the guy in front of the poster in the left lane would count in the rear end in a top hat group as well. Left lane slow drivers probably cause more accidents than fast driving idiots, due to most accidents being caused due to braking and lane shifts. Without a free fast lane, it causes lots of people to drive parallel and in each others' blind spots, and causes more braking in the back. Unlike the other guy, I'd put slow left lane driving as pretty much equal to rear end in a top hat driving just because of the amount of trouble it causes.

As far as trucks go; the biggest problem is that average drivers don't understand shifting and braking and blind spots because they just drive mid range automatics, and don't understand how much their driving is screwing over truckers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I just keep right unless I need to pass and since no one uses the right lane it's like my own personal carpool lane to wherever I need to go.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I try and stay in a middle lane if possible, it lets people gottagofast on the left and I don't have to worry (as much) about people merging on and off the freeway. Too bad half the people that exit freeways in Dallas do so from the far left. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched someone in my mirrors weave around traffic, finally work their way over to the left and floor it, then cut aaall the way back over and slam on their brakes as they exit, all in like 1/2 mile.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My dashcam videos seem to consist mainly of me trying to get over to an exit three miles down the road from the left, but being unable to because some guy in the left in front of me is so slow that he's making everyone drive parallel to each other in each lane, making lane changing dangerous or impossible. Far too boring to post, but happens to me practically every other day.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

KozmoNaut posted:

Something I really don't get is why people overtake trucks on the right.

Just hang back for a couple of seconds, give them space to merge all the way to the right, and then pass them on the left. So much safer for all involved.

I try to always give large trucks a very wide berth, NEVER dive bomb in front of them even if it means sitting in a lovely lane for an extended period.

Passing on the right.. I mean, it depends on the situation but yeah I'm with you there. I know from driving bitchass UHauls once or twice that having people pull idiotic crap especially on the right is nerveracking.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Having your dash cam record audio can be quite a revelation - I had no idea quite how much I hurled verbal abuse at other drivers or at what volume :ohdear:

I've just fitted an A118C as a rear-facing camera and I'm really quite impressed with the quality, its far better than the mini 0801 which faces the front. Think I'll be upgrading that one to an 0805 for better overall performance, but I should be able to plug it into the exist mount.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like my dashcam's sound has crapped out, but video still working.

55mph access road, left two lanes are turn only (Uturn & regular left). Not unexpected for people to realize they're in the wrong lane coming off the highway and dart over, but this person had came from the far right lane originally, into a turn lane. When they came over I braked but figured they'd keep going straight vs. stopping at a green light. When I passed later they looked me and looked confused why I was honking at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYNIUgYDg0

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Looks like my dashcam's sound has crapped out, but video still working.

55mph access road, left two lanes are turn only (Uturn & regular left). Not unexpected for people to realize they're in the wrong lane coming off the highway and dart over, but this person had came from the far right lane originally, into a turn lane. When they came over I braked but figured they'd keep going straight vs. stopping at a green light. When I passed later they looked me and looked confused why I was honking at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYNIUgYDg0

Wouldn't have been a problem if you weren't hogging the left lane.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Horse Divorce posted:

Wouldn't have been a problem if you weren't hogging the left lane.

You see that car that comes by? I just passed them before the video starts. On the left. Not enough time to move over safely.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

You see that car that comes by? I just passed them before the video starts. On the left. Not enough time to move over safely.

I know. I'm really just proving a point. Almost every video that's been posted as of late has a hoard of people jump on the cammer with complaints just like that. But those critics weren't sitting in the seat and have no context for the event their critiquing.

Cameras don't show what's going on behind us, and they also don't show distances the way we see them (fish-eye lenses and such). So we get armchair quarterbacks that dismiss the most obvious offender and jump on the camera man.

Everybody drives in the left lane sometimes. We could be passing traffic that's just a little slower than we like, getting ready for an exit ahead, or simply because we're lazy and nobody else is around to require us moving aside. But the armchair quarterbacks won't have any of that, they're the batman of the streets: the bringers of asphalt truth and justice. It just annoys me that the most egregious offenders (like the idiot in your video, could have caused a major accident. Goddamn...) get a pass or even excused away because of the slightest perceived, possibly non-existant, wrongdoing of the cammer.

Sorry to use your post as a soap box, but at least that's out of my system.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Chinatown posted:

I love flashing my high beams and letting 18 wheelers change lanes/merge infront of me and they give me the hazard signal thank you flash. :3:

They are probably really confused its a BMW thats letting them in.

It's a begrudging thank you at night. Flash during the day, turn them off then back on at night. Doing mirror checks at night when changing lanes only to have a face full of HID's turn hit me is seriously painful and makes me involuntarily jerk my head/body in the other direction and I don't think that's particularly safe.

As for left/middle/right lane chat out in the country I truck along in the right lane, in cities I am setting up for whatever lane I need to be in miles down the road because of the inevitable merges in town. Houston for example; Coming west to east I get in the second to the left lane in Katy and don't get out of it until past Baytown, going east to west I get in the third to the left lane in Baytown and don't get out of it until Katy. Doing this limits my need to change lanes, and in congested areas driving a truck you are more likely to baseball bat someone off the road with the trailer if you limit your lane changes.

Edit: Sometimes though, I've just got to be in the left lane; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGFSPVFtYE

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 14, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
That white car was so close to dying. Sheesh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Horse Divorce posted:

I know. I'm really just proving a point. Almost every video that's been posted as of late has a hoard of people jump on the cammer with complaints just like that. But those critics weren't sitting in the seat and have no context for the event their critiquing.

Cameras don't show what's going on behind us, and they also don't show distances the way we see them (fish-eye lenses and such). So we get armchair quarterbacks that dismiss the most obvious offender and jump on the camera man.

Everybody drives in the left lane sometimes. We could be passing traffic that's just a little slower than we like, getting ready for an exit ahead, or simply because we're lazy and nobody else is around to require us moving aside. But the armchair quarterbacks won't have any of that, they're the batman of the streets: the bringers of asphalt truth and justice. It just annoys me that the most egregious offenders (like the idiot in your video, could have caused a major accident. Goddamn...) get a pass or even excused away because of the slightest perceived, possibly non-existant, wrongdoing of the cammer.

Sorry to use your post as a soap box, but at least that's out of my system.

You're making poo poo up, no one excuses the people who cause accidents, but it's pretty pointless to rant at them in this thread because those people aren't reading this thread. Sometimes people are just in the left lane when they really don't need to be out of habit, and mentioning it is all it takes to plant the seed in their head that hey, maybe I don't need to be in the passing lane all the time. And if they get upset that they didn't show us enough before-the-incident information in the video they posted then they have the power to post more video, but that's hardly something we can control.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

davebo posted:

You're making poo poo up, no one excuses the people who cause accidents, but it's pretty pointless to rant at them in this thread because those people aren't reading this thread. Sometimes people are just in the left lane when they really don't need to be out of habit, and mentioning it is all it takes to plant the seed in their head that hey, maybe I don't need to be in the passing lane all the time. And if they get upset that they didn't show us enough before-the-incident information in the video they posted then they have the power to post more video, but that's hardly something we can control.

Whatever you say batman.

E: You know what? You're right. It is pointless to rant at the guys that would never see this thread, and hints given when they're due does make a better driver. How else is anyone going to learn unless someone tells them otherwise? It's much better than learning the hard way. As for blaming the camera man for the accident, that happens mostly on reddit. That was one of the many things that made me realize that community sucked. After seeing it happen so much it just really pissed me off.

Sorry for being a dick. I gotta remember to keep cool.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 14, 2015

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

ordered

can't wait !!!!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

drukqs posted:

ordered

can't wait !!!!
I've had one of these hardwired in my car for ~18 months. No complaints, works great.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 15, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Man this thread is crazy. I guess $240 dash cams are what happens when nobody edits the first post to just say, gently caress the G1W and anything else. Just spend $70 on a Mobius.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4u2mmzu4kY

Truck late through the light but the driver was on the phone the whole time. I overtook the truck after the second light and he was still on it. What should I do with videos like this? Is it worth sending to the police?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

bobfather posted:

Man this thread is crazy. I guess $240 dash cams are what happens when nobody edits the first post to just say, gently caress the G1W and anything else. Just spend $70 on a Mobius.

I bought a Blackvue DR400G-HD2 based primarily on Amadong reviews just about two years ago +/-... It's a steaming pile of poo poo.

This isn't my first rodeo. I think the sample recordings from this $240 cam are f'ing glorious, and it excels in all of the areas where this piece of poo poo Blackvue has failed me time and time again.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

So I bought this thing. I was hoping to be able to play videos from my Mobius directly on my phone if for some reason I had to review footage, like in the case of an accident, but I haven't been able to play videos via USB OTG. Am I just dumb or is there an easy way to do this?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Cartoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4u2mmzu4kY

Truck late through the light but the driver was on the phone the whole time. I overtook the truck after the second light and he was still on it. What should I do with videos like this? Is it worth sending to the police?

I assume the country you live in has some sort of regulatory body when it comes to commercial vehicles, notify their enforcement arm. If it's like the US, enforcement is delegated out to local departments to officers with specialized training. Also a call to the company that employs the driver would be in order and make sure you get the truck number.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Trisk posted:

So I bought this thing. I was hoping to be able to play videos from my Mobius directly on my phone if for some reason I had to review footage, like in the case of an accident, but I haven't been able to play videos via USB OTG. Am I just dumb or is there an easy way to do this?

On my Nexus 5, I can use ES File Explorer to access USB OTG devices.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

bobfather posted:

I think what happens is everyone recommends a crappy camera like the G1W and people buy them then are disappointed, then the same happens again with another model like the mini 0801 which is full of problems too, so when yet another recommended camera comes out that's cheap and crappy looking like the Mobius, people say gently caress it and buy something so expensive "it must be good."

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
So far my G1W black has worked great for a cheap piece of crap. We're getting into summer here so we'll see how it fares in the heat, but it made it through the winter with no issues

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQSpHYkMkY

You don't need to watch the whole thing, but this ones pretty good, watch at 4:58 for a polite tire, and at 9:39 for peak russia.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SpeedGem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQSpHYkMkY

You don't need to watch the whole thing, but this ones pretty good, watch at 4:58 for a polite tire, and at 9:39 for peak russia.

Be warned: it's not exactly 'no one was harmed in the making of this movie' material.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Baconroll posted:

Having your dash cam record audio can be quite a revelation - I had no idea quite how much I hurled verbal abuse at other drivers or at what volume :ohdear:

I now live in constant fear that I'll have to submit some video clip for evidence and it will have me playing/singing along to something horrible.

"So you see here officer this is where he crosses the median and swipes my vehicle."
> Play
"DON'T STOP BEEEEEELIEEEVINGGGGGGGGGG"

I'd probably just let the guy go and eat the insurance at that point.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I turned the audio recording off because I live in CA.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Baconroll posted:

Opposite for me, my problem is that when some incredibly stupid/possibly youtube-worthy BS is happening, I now need to be really careful not to go TOO overboard, or to "flub" my cursing. That clip where I dodge around the trash can, I had to censor AND just drop a big chunk of audio because reasons.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

It's honestly kind of surprising to me that there aren't even more fatalities/accidents than there are now. I'm a lovely rear end in a top hat driver who speeds, I'll accept that... but... I stay in my lane, I don't run reds, I don't jump solid white lines... I always signal, I'm not dialing, I only RECEIVE calls (handsfree) I don't cut off/kamikaze 18 wheelers........... It's an absolute poo poo-show out there and it's only going to get worse.

Suuuuuuuuuper nice. I will be moving my garbage Blackvue to be rear-facing tonight I hope. That or... oil change... I dunno. Such an annoying unreliable piece of junk I might just shelve it :mad:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Good idea. Dash cams are specifically legal to windshield mount in CA if you put them in the right place (generally window mounting is illegal) and either don't record sound or have specific notices posted. Ca is also a 2 party consent state. This, and the fact that i talk like a drunken sailor, is why I have audio off on my car. You don't need audio anyhow.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

nm posted:

Good idea. Dash cams are specifically legal to windshield mount in CA if you put them in the right place (generally window mounting is illegal) and either don't record sound or have specific notices posted. Ca is also a 2 party consent state. This, and the fact that i talk like a drunken sailor, is why I have audio off on my car. You don't need audio anyhow.

Wait, what's this about 2-party consent?

You're saying that if my footage is to be used as evidence in case some sort of incident occurs... It might be invalidated or... I'd get in some sort of legal bind?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/new-corvettes-valet-recording-tech-could-be-a-felony-in-12-states/

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap. I didn't know about any of this, but I DID hear about this corvette thing. Did not know the specifics.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main reason for keeping audio is so I can read out a license plate or dictate other info that might not be visually on camera. And I can't decide if I should disable the GPS portion or not. I can see it being useful to dump into Google maps in an actual incident, but I also don't want some defense attorney screwing with me for going 64 in a 60 when their intoxicated client smashed into me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

For context, this was at the end of a long, 'spirited', though legal drive.

I'd just entered the outskirts of town and was coming up to a point which was a favourite location for a mobile speed trap - so I was consciously being careful about my speed and keeping an especial eye out for signs of police vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4HCBAE81Jc

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spog posted:

For context, this was at the end of a long, 'spirited', though legal drive.

I'd just entered the outskirts of town and was coming up to a point which was a favourite location for a mobile speed trap - so I was consciously being careful about my speed and keeping an especial eye out for signs of police vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4HCBAE81Jc

I thought this was going to turn into one of those deranged Cyriak videos.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Dick Trauma posted:

31 bike cops, out for a parade ride?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sigma X posted:

31 bike cops, out for a parade ride?

There was a big bicycle race across two counties the following day and I guess they'd drafted in a bunch of bikes from various regions to cover the route. Would explain the variations in livery (plus, I've never even seen a single one here, so they must be from other forces). Probably running the route as practise.

Dick Trauma posted:

No word of a lie: there was a brief moment that I felt like I was stuck in an infinite loop gif.

Wish I had the skills to loop the video myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

drukqs posted:

Wait, what's this about 2-party consent?

You're saying that if my footage is to be used as evidence in case some sort of incident occurs... It might be invalidated or... I'd get in some sort of legal bind?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/new-corvettes-valet-recording-tech-could-be-a-felony-in-12-states/

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap. I didn't know about any of this, but I DID hear about this corvette thing. Did not know the specifics.

Well poo poo, apparently washington is on that list as well. Granted as long as you tell them there is a camera running its ok? O well, not going to worry about it since the few times I have had run ins with people I tell them I have a dashcam running, so I should be OK.