Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sassassin posted:

He was bad in it and his character was poo poo, but nerds love Bruce Campbell and he's dined out on that his whole career.

I hereby sentence you to watch every single episode of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., followed by every episode of Jack of all Trades.

Heathen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm just upset they cast Jason Clarke as John Connor period.

I mean we had that boy in T2, then the dude from carnivale in T3, they looked kinda similar. And you could see how those kids could grow up to maybe be Christian Bale's dude.
And then now we have Jason Clarke? He's completely different.

I get that they're doing it because the T-1000 is going to spend half the film looking like John so Jason Clarke is actually the bad guy, but that just defeats the whole point of having him be John.
I can't see Emilia Clarke being his mother...

That bugged me too, that guy is a huge step down from Christian Bale. Also nice of them to ruin the twist of the movie like the Terminator Salvation Trailers did.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not as bad as the one in Pacific Rim. God drat that was a horrible one.

Gah, the scene at 0:15 with all the missile exhaust trails. BALLISTIC MISSILES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krinkle posted:

I like how in burn notice in the pilot episode they have that lady do the worst loving irish accent ever and when they got picked up they immediately wrote her first line of dialog as "how do you like my american accent? I am a spy too so I can do this. I will use it from now on, forever, even during the episodes we go to ireland or whatever."

So it's a bad show and I gave up on it after half a season but every time it comes on the first thing you hear in the intro explaining the premise is her attempting to say "miami" from the pilot episode like goddamn. 'moiame'. If they knew her irish accent was so poo poo you'd write it out so thoroughly why not have a redo on the goddamn intro?

Castle went for like 5 years with Nathan Fillion saying "bitter" instead of "better" in the intro.

They eventually dropped the intro entirely.

JT Smiley posted:

That bugged me too, that guy is a huge step down from Christian Bale. Also nice of them to ruin the twist of the movie like the Terminator Salvation Trailers did.

You don't know if it's a twist though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sassassin posted:

He was bad in it and his character was poo poo, but nerds love Bruce Campbell and he's dined out on that his whole career.

Seriously, what is the deal with nerds and this guy

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Evil Dead and the Hercules/Xena tv shows are my reasons.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Also that magnificent chin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's got charm and pretty much exclusively does goofy B movies/tv shows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
His autobiography is also an awesomely entertaining read.

He always gives off a sense of fun and craziness and immense likability.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aphrodite posted:

Castle went for like 5 years with Nathan Fillion saying "bitter" instead of "better" in the intro.

Oh, we're doing terrible things in TV intros now?

In the intro to Angel for one or two seasons, there was this God-awful zoom-shot of Angel standing on a building that was shot in one aspect ratio, but then all stretched/squished into a different one for broadcast.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its too bad Ed Furlong got into drugs and turned into a fatty and started doing films with Corey Feldman:

Would be cool in an alternate universe if he stayed sober and was able to keep playing John Conner.

Also still making movies in this universe: Jonathan Brandis and River Phoenix. :(

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Have to join in with the Jurassic World bashing. It just felt to me, like every remake/reboot/refuckup, they removed any of the clever story telling and tension and replaced it with effects and tropes. If it had spent more time with Dr Wu and the whole "nothing we have ever made is natural" ethicless scientist plot then it might have been better. My top 10 annoyances:

1. Why are they doing dangerous research and genetic engineering on Isla Nublar when they had Isla Sorna for the exact purpose of doing that kind of work away from the park?
2. Why do the raptors just ditch Star Lord as alpha in about 10 seconds of seeing the big bad? That is not really how pack mentality works since the big bad would have to kill Star Lord to prove it is stronger imo.
3. Yes 20 year old jeeps that are left in a jungle totally will start with just a fresh battery
4. Why did they build the new visitor area in a completely different place rather than over the top of the old buildings? Why waste all the electrical, plumbling and telecommunications ground work?
5. Why do you not have enough boats available at all times for immediate evac in case something gets out? Why does the visitor centre not have hardened buildings to keep people safe?
6. Yep the CEO is totally going to flying about with a minigun on his copter to hunt down the big bad. It is not like he has minions for that.
7. Apart from Dr Wu I really don't care about these characters at all. They are just really bland and since there is no development I really couldn't care less if they had been eaten. In fact I would like them more if they had been eaten as then I would have gotten some screaming.
8. The two siblings parents getting divorced and being sent to spend time with a relative... oh yeah that was almost the same as the original.
9. Said siblings pushing glass with their hands and feet mere inches away from being dino chow... oh yeah that was almost the same as the original.
10. What is that? The big bad killed and ate the other? Oh yeah more or less the same as the original raptor breeding program where the alpha killed all but two of the other raptors and ate them. Why does it hunt for sport? There are only a few species that hunt for sport and they are mostly mammals. If it is smart enough to escape and want to get away then it should know that leaving a trial of dead bodies behind it is not exactly stealthy.

I could really do more since it was :mediocre: at best but meh it is just a film so no point getting mad or anything.

Now on the flip side things I did like about it:

1. Star Lord on a bike with a back of raptors, it was so silly I couldn't not like it and reminds me of those terrible 80's cartoons I used to watch like Dino Riders.
2. Seeing a completed park was nice and it did feel very much like Dino Disneyworld.
3. Baby dino petting zoo and rides was :3:
4. Dr Wu and his nothing here is natural speech, I wanted more of that because it is a very good point that isn't covered.
5. Real world visualisation software being used in the command centre, ok this is because I work with such things but seeing real software being used rather than gimmick hollywood visuals was nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, we're doing terrible things in TV intros now?

In the intro to Angel for one or two seasons, there was this God-awful zoom-shot of Angel standing on a building that was shot in one aspect ratio, but then all stretched/squished into a different one for broadcast.

Everything about that intro is pure 90s. Its sooooo 90s it hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHSFV5IkM5c

The editing is a complete disaster. "Okay the camera is going to be panning on some poo poo that's really zoomed in on the background, and then we overlay a tiny little square on top of that which has moving footage (in the opposite direction) of the cast. Wait, that's not enough, we also need to do a dissolve cut on every transition. There we go, now it looks like a powerpoint presentation! That's the style I'm going for." :v:

I do have to admit that I love the actual theme song for Angel though, that violin part is really simple but it sticks in my head all day.

Also for Angel irrational hatred - I absolutely loathe the "vampire-face" effect that both Buffy and Angel use (and other vampire movies too, like from dusk till dawn). I hate hate hate hate it. The whole point of vampires is that they can pretend to be humans really well, and they're sexy and alluring, and then oh poo poo its a vampire too late you're already dead. Having them "vamp out" as a physical transformation makes them more like werewolves than vampires. I've always had friends really into Buffy but I couldn't ever get into it very much, largely because of how loving weird and cheesy the vampire make up is.

Its like they're going super saijan 3, super neanderthal-face with no eyebrows. Huge eyebrow ridge. Who thinks that's cool looking?

We cast pretty-boy David Boreanez but lets go ahead and gently caress his face up with toooons of makeup

Also side note that's pretty :unsmith:, David Boreanez had no plans of being an actor and got picked up for Buffy one day because somebody saw him walking his dog on the street or something, and ended up getting his own show. That's pretty cool.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jun 17, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Army of darkness

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"It's probably nothing, but..."

This drives me up a wall.

"So far we've only got one suspect and no motive. Is there anything else these six victims have in common that we haven't thought of yet?"

"It's probably nothing, but..."

"Just spit it out, it's not like we've got anything else to go on right now anyway."

"Well, all six victims were on the committee that denied our suspect tenure earlier this year."

"Go get the car. I'll tell the chief and meet you downstairs!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I hereby sentence you to watch every single episode of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., followed by every episode of Jack of all Trades.

Heathen.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

BigPaddy posted:

2. Why do the raptors just ditch Star Lord as alpha in about 10 seconds of seeing the big bad? That is not really how pack mentality works since the big bad would have to kill Star Lord to prove it is stronger imo.

I can actually answer this. The raptors didn't exactly ditch Star Lord. They turned and looked to him, as if expecting him to offer a rebuttal to whatever the big bad had said. Then the InGen mercs panicked and opened fire, so the raptors reverted to instinct and attacked the threats. But the raptors didn't attack Star Lord or Black Best Friend-- Blue Raptor actually stopped trying to get at BBF's hiding place when she recognized his voice, and Charlie Raptor paused when she saw Star Lord. Which is what got Charlie gibbed by a rocket launcher. If you'll notice, once Star Lord had a chance to re-connect with the raptors and take the collar off of Blue, the raptors immediately recognized him as their alpha again and attacked iRex.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigPaddy posted:

3. Yes 20 year old jeeps that are left in a jungle totally will start with just a fresh battery

If it's got the 4.0L inline 6, it actually will.

The episode set on the Marquis de Sade's private resort island is one of the greatest and most ridiculous things ever committed to television.

And Verne Troyer as Napoleon, because why the gently caress not?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I can actually answer this. The raptors didn't exactly ditch Star Lord. They turned and looked to him, as if expecting him to offer a rebuttal to whatever the big bad had said. Then the InGen mercs panicked and opened fire, so the raptors reverted to instinct and attacked the threats. But the raptors didn't attack Star Lord or Black Best Friend-- Blue Raptor actually stopped trying to get at BBF's hiding place when she recognized his voice, and Charlie Raptor paused when she saw Star Lord. Which is what got Charlie gibbed by a rocket launcher. If you'll notice, once Star Lord had a chance to re-connect with the raptors and take the collar off of Blue, the raptors immediately recognized him as their alpha again and attacked iRex.

Ok I can buy that. Just seemed a bit quick for years of bonding to be thrown aside.

KozmoNaut posted:

If it's got the 4.0L inline 6, it actually will.

I would expect in really humid conditions for some of the plastics and rubber parts to not survive that well. The tyres also were pumped up and didn't have flat spots but that is on me as I specifically talked about the engine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krinkle posted:

I like how in burn notice in the pilot episode they have that lady do the worst loving irish accent ever and when they got picked up they immediately wrote her first line of dialog as "how do you like my american accent? I am a spy too so I can do this. I will use it from now on, forever, even during the episodes we go to ireland or whatever."

In season one of Penny Dreadful, Billie Piper has the WORST Irish accent I've ever heard (worse than Tom Cruise in Far and Away!). Because of stuff that happens, in the first episode of the second season the accent miraculously disappears, and when one character comments on it she explains that she has picked up her cues for how to talk from his accent and then they just move on without ever commenting on it again :)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BigPaddy posted:

5. Real world visualisation software being used in the command centre, ok this is because I work with such things but seeing real software being used rather than gimmick hollywood visuals was nice.

Okay, this is one of those things that people bring up about Jurassic Park a lot, but... The computers in the command center in the original film actually do run real software. That visual thing is an actual form of Linux graphic interface or whatever that actually was in use at the time the film was made.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Okay, this is one of those things that people bring up about Jurassic Park a lot, but... The computers in the command center in the original film actually do run real software. That visual thing is an actual form of Linux graphic interface or whatever that actually was in use at the time the film was made.

In Jp the 3D interface is called FSN and you used to be able to get it fro free if you so happened to have an old SGI machine running Irix 5.3... which I never did nope uh huh. I was more talking about how it compares to most modern films. The only other film that comes to mind using real software was The Matrix sequels when people were flipping out about Trinity using NMAP to find an unpatched version of some server software to exploit to kill the power grid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigPaddy posted:

In Jp the 3D interface is called FSN and you used to be able to get it fro free if you so happened to have an old SGI machine running Irix 5.3... which I never did nope uh huh. I was more talking about how it compares to most modern films. The only other film that comes to mind using real software was The Matrix sequels when people were flipping out about Trinity using NMAP to find an unpatched version of some server software to exploit to kill the power grid.

NMAP actually has a cool little site about movies that its been in, a surprising number: http://nmap.org/movies/

Not that nmap is the be all end all of hacking or anything.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remembered an old moment that really bugged me when it came out - Karate Kid 2.

So Scott Bao or whoever goes to Japan with Mr Miyagi and gets into a tussle with some local thugs. At one point, the thugs are buying vegetables off some local farmers because they're just that loving hard. But one of the weights on their scale breaks and it turns out it was made of plaster rather than metal.

Oh no, they are ripping off the farmers! How evil.

But the thugs were the ones buying, so using light weights mean the sales would show the produce as being heavier than it was, mean they would be paying out more money to the farmers. They were ripping themselves off :psyduck:

I had to google this because it made no sense they'd take their own weights and scales to BUY veggies, thats now how.. any type of food purchase works:

Corrected entry: In the scene where Chozen is buying vegetables from the villagers, one of the weights from the scale is knocked onto the ground. Daniel picks it up and realises that its not a real weight and breaks it in half. If Chozen wanted to cheat the villagers when he weighed their vegetables, he would need weights that were heavier than normal, not lighter plastic ones. Lighter weights would mean that Chozen would need to add far more of the light weights to make any amount of vegetables balance out, therefore he would be paying more for the vegetables than they are worth.

Correction: Chozen wasn't buying the vegetables, he was selling them, it was his land (his uncles land) so the villagers would pick then go to him to pay for what they have taken. That's why he had light weights, to have the villagers think they were buying more than they actually were.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

BigPaddy posted:

Why does it hunt for sport? There are only a few species that hunt for sport and they are mostly mammals. If it is smart enough to escape and want to get away then it should know that leaving a trial of dead bodies behind it is not exactly stealthy.

Chuck Manfist said something about how raising in captivity and feeding it from a crane would mess with it's unnatural instincts. I don't know why they specified it was killing for "sport" though, it was just killing everything it saw and moving on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pneub posted:

Chuck Manfist said something about how raising in captivity and feeding it from a crane would mess with it's unnatural instincts. I don't know why they specified it was killing for "sport" though, it was just killing everything it saw and moving on.

Wasn't there also another line about it basically just killing things to see if it could or not, that because it wasn't socialized it was essentially trying to figure out where it fit on the food chain?

In the end, it found out it fits on the same place on the pecking order as everybody else - below the T-Rex :smug:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cage posted:

Its too bad Ed Furlong got into drugs and turned into a fatty and started doing films with Corey Feldman:

Would be cool in an alternate universe if he stayed sober and was able to keep playing John Conner.

Also still making movies in this universe: Jonathan Brandis and River Phoenix. :(

This film looks legitemately awesome, and I for one would watch it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not a movie, but I have been re-watching House MD recently because it's an excellent show and I just noticed that as the show's writing staff narrows, instances of the phrase "jerking us around" or "jerking me around" become more and more frequent to the point that from season 4 onward it pops up in like every episode. It's a good thing the phrase "jerking us around" is such a funny FCC-approved way to say loving with us or I'd be more annoyed by it!

So many people have been jerked around on this drat show. Many have been jerked around multiple times! Lots of jerking around going on for sure.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Jun 18, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

NMAP actually has a cool little site about movies that its been in, a surprising number: http://nmap.org/movies/

Not that nmap is the be all end all of hacking or anything.

Kids these days are all about metasploit :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also for Angel irrational hatred [...]

Related to the vampire irritation, some time throughout the show they changed the sound effect made when a vampire bites someone, and it would sound like taking a bite out of an extremely crispy cooky or apple. It was very irritating when you have this dramatic scene where the good vampire finally decides to give in to his urges and bite someone, then CRUUUUUUUNCH.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The amount has increased to more than once per episode. I think this might be killing me. Is this a thing people actually say and all these years I've just never heard someone say it?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

CJacobs posted:

The amount has increased to more than once per episode. I think this might be killing me. Is this a thing people actually say and all these years I've just never heard someone say it?

In the first 2 or 3 seasons they shoehorn the word 'glib' into almost every episode. It stood out in the same way a teen would read a word of the day and then try and use it in every conversation they had for a week straight.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

dpack_1 posted:

In the first 2 or 3 seasons they shoehorn the word 'glib' into almost every episode. It stood out in the same way a teen would read a word of the day and then try and use it in every conversation they had for a week straight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

dpack_1 posted:

I had the same problem with Supernatural. They used "juice" as a synonym for power or influence, and it felt lazy as hell as 4 different characters per episode was referring to their "juice". It's okay when the sloppy beer drinking guy in the flannel shirt says it, but then an angel refers to their divine power as it in the next scene. Everybody sounds the same in Supernatural, all weaksauce Joss Whedon where everyone is clever and trying to one-up each other with references and snark.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I had the same problem with Supernatural. They used "juice" as a synonym for power or influence, and it felt lazy as hell as 4 different characters per episode was referring to their "juice". It's okay when the sloppy beer drinking guy in the flannel shirt says it, but then an angel refers to their divine power as it in the next scene. Everybody sounds the same in Supernatural, all weaksauce Joss Whedon where everyone is clever and trying to one-up each other with references and snark.

I've never seen Supernatural but everything I've ever heard about it sounds dreadful.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The first and maybe second season are okay "monster of the week" things, and having Jeffrey Dean Morgan as their cool dad who can't help but die because he's Jeffrey Dean Morgan was good. It's only once they realized that hunting angels and demons instead of werewolves and vampires that the show went completely off the rails. To wit, they like destroyed the four horseman of the apocalypse like 3 seasons ago. I can't even imagine where they went since then.
It also disappeared up it's own rear end when the characters discover their own tumblr and reddit pages with people drawing fanart of them having sex with each other, then a long look directly into the camera to scold their fans. Lots of fourth wall stuff, but I'm of the opinion that even if the script has you poking fun about how stupid the script is, it doesn't excuse it from being awful.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Jun 18, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

EmmyOk posted:

I've never seen Supernatural but everything I've ever heard about it sounds dreadful.

It's funny to watch just to count all the times they end up in Indiana of all states. I keep waiting for a plot point about how Indiana's secretly on cursed land or something.

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything about that intro is pure 90s. Its sooooo 90s it hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHSFV5IkM5c

The thing that annoys me about this intro is that you can see his reflection in the water puddle at the end. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Firstborn posted:

The first and maybe second season are okay "monster of the week" things, and having Jeffrey Dean Morgan as their cool dad who can't help but die because he's Jeffrey Dean Morgan was good. It's only once they realized that hunting angels and demons instead of werewolves and vampires that the show went completely off the rails. To wit, they like destroyed the four horseman of the apocalypse like 3 seasons ago. I can't even imagine where they went since then.
It also disappeared up it's own rear end when the characters discover their own tumblr and reddit pages with people drawing fanart of them having sex with each other, then a long look directly into the camera to scold their fans. Lots of fourth wall stuff, but I'm of the opinion that even if the script has you poking fun about how stupid the script is, it doesn't excuse it from being awful.

I'm not sure they have anywhere to go. They had the Voice of God (Metatron) actually become God, because Chuck the God has more or less vanished (presumed dead). Then Dean had the Mark of Cain, which turns out locked the Primordial Darkness (which existed before Creation) away. KNOWING ALL THIS, they got rid of the mark anyway and the current season ends with the Winchesters (and presumably all of the universe) being enveloped in a dark miasmic cloud.

Yes, I've tacitly admitted (and now overtly) I watch this show. It's mindless as hell and eat up poo poo related to Biblical mythology. I like the *ideas* from a story-telling point of view, but the execution always leaves me scratching my head. And personally, I love the self-aware episodes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Supernatural isn't that bad if you take it for what it is, a kinda schlocky X-files meets Dukes of Hazard blended up with Revelations for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I like the episode where they go to a Supernatural fan convention and a fat cosplayer follows them around the whole episode doing terrible renditions of scenes from the show.

I'm not making this up.

Seriously

https://youtu.be/JKgvXtkyOjc

Xinlum has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jun 18, 2015