Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends. Is there lots of cigarette butts to pick up? I don't like hunting for trash to fill up my bag.

Honestly I'm considering moving to Washington Seattle area due to cost of living. Bay Area CA is having another housing spike. House next to mine is selling for 650k and it's a smaller foot plan and lot.

if you want to avoid san fran housing issues it's safe to say you should avoid seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

krispykremessuck posted:

if you want to avoid san fran housing issues it's safe to say you should avoid seattle

Eh. If I sold my house for the same amount as my neighbor and payed off the mortgage I'd pocket over 400k.
That goes a poo poo ton further in the area north of Seattle than anywhere you want to live in the Bay Area.
I kinda see Seattle as a proto-SF. More room to grow and cheaper(compared only to SF). All the military stuff to is plus.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh. If I sold my house for the same amount as my neighbor and payed off the mortgage I'd pocket over 400k.
That goes a poo poo ton further in the area north of Seattle than anywhere you want to live in the Bay Area.
I kinda see Seattle as a proto-SF. More room to grow and cheaper(compared only to SF). All the military stuff to is plus.

do the research man, there's a real estate bubble forming here and rent prices have gone completely loving nuts anywhere near seattle. I don't even live in or near seattle and it's loving up my property taxes

e: not saying don't come here or anything, just that the housing market is all kinds of loving wacky

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 16, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol i just finished a spotcheck with a newly qualified sailor, to test whether he knew the material he was qualified on. I gave him a week+ to prepare, and I told him that I would walk him through the spotcheck before hand as many times as he wanted, at any time. I gave him all the reference manuals, and I even gave him a copy of the spot-check sheet I was going to be using, with all the references for each question, down to the sentence, where to find the answers.

He failed the spotcheck miserably and blamed me for setting him up for failure, when I sat there and watched him gently caress around on the internet during work hours all week.

I love being a first class.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
That doesn't sound like a spot check at all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
sounds like a standard inspection

just done to one really dumb loving individual

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In this young sailors defense there is no Call Of Duty level that would have prepped him for that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

In this young sailors defense there is no Call Of Duty level that would have prepped him for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4&t=37s

:colbert:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

orange juche posted:

Lol i just finished a spotcheck with a newly qualified sailor, to test whether he knew the material he was qualified on. I gave him a week+ to prepare, and I told him that I would walk him through the spotcheck before hand as many times as he wanted, at any time. I gave him all the reference manuals, and I even gave him a copy of the spot-check sheet I was going to be using, with all the references for each question, down to the sentence, where to find the answers.

He failed the spotcheck miserably and blamed me for setting him up for failure, when I sat there and watched him gently caress around on the internet during work hours all week.

I love being a first class.

How do you qual for something and not know it though?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

ahahahhahahahahahhaha

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Uhh. I'm Damage Control and 3M qualified. I took a test where they pretty much gave me the answers because I was TAD to the ship and would never touch those things. Ever. Just needed it to finish ESWS.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Uhh. I'm Damage Control and 3M qualified. I took a test where they pretty much gave me the answers because I was TAD to the ship and would never touch those things. Ever. Just needed it to finish ESWS.

Oh, thanks. A lot of what you guys say and what the guys with sea going ratings that experience the fleet say is starting to make sense as far as the differences in mentality.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pandasmores posted:

Dip and energy drinks

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

This is normal though?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

ahahahhahahahahahhaha

Is probably the only appropriate response.

I qualified DC 301-322 with maybe only about 10% of the requisite knowledge because qualifiers in the Navy are either lazy, incompetent or both.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lou Takki posted:

This is normal though?

Is probably the only appropriate response.

I qualified DC 301-322 with maybe only about 10% of the requisite knowledge because qualifiers in the Navy are either lazy, incompetent or both.

Well real Navy it probably is though. At this command it's more of "GET THIS DONE" and you actually have to jump through hoops and the people that get you qualified for things hammer whatever it is into you, can't bribe their signatures.

For your guy's evals, do you mark off everyone as competent in their job and then have jousting matches with dicks over collaterals to give out an EP? I don't know how they do it now, but before that seemed to be how things were.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Alright, well I was given my two week notice today. I get to pick a CREO 1 job, have my CDB and have the CO sign me away to a new A-school because there are no orders available for my year group/rank combo with my NEC. Out of the list, I chose IT(SS) since I had to pick one. How lovely is Pensacola as an NCO? Also, IT-wise, I hear you can lean radio or lean networking. What's the factor in going one way or the other? If I reach Groton in August I'll have a little over 14 months as an ITS.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

Alright, well I was given my two week notice today. I get to pick a CREO 1 job, have my CDB and have the CO sign me away to a new A-school because there are no orders available for my year group/rank combo with my NEC. Out of the list, I chose IT(SS) since I had to pick one. How lovely is Pensacola as an NCO? Also, IT-wise, I hear you can lean radio or lean networking. What's the factor in going one way or the other? If I reach Groton in August I'll have a little over 14 months as an ITS.

The heck were you before?

Pcola sucks just a little less as an E-5 than it did going through the first time as an E-2. Less liberty restrictions, little more leeway. Same dumb rules you will probably have to follow. The CT schoolhouse was pretty strict about them. Not sure about the IT schoolhouse.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Laranzu posted:

The heck were you before?

Pcola sucks just a little less as an E-5 than it did going through the first time as an E-2. Less liberty restrictions, little more leeway. Same dumb rules you will probably have to follow. The CT schoolhouse was pretty strict about them. Not sure about the IT schoolhouse.

CTI2. Wanted to stay a CT but none of the other CT ratings will take a 2011 E5. I know, I've talked to all of their tech ads. It's not that bad.. I always wanted to see more of the Navy, may as well do so the last year i'm in it. I have a job lined up when I get out up as it is. When I'm done with SELRES I'll have my degree and I can apply to OCS for the reserve.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I have a question. Has anyone here flown OCONUS for leave. I apparently have to fly over to the family estate, which means I have to start planning an Africa trip, but how bad is it, I would be flying to Uganda and I am not heading north (Though the LRA got pushed outh) or to the South as I am not a diamond/uranium/logging smuggler, and the normal department of state website says it is "Critical" risk of crime and high risk of terrorism, so how bad would it be to try and go there.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have a question. Has anyone here flown OCONUS for leave. I apparently have to fly over to the family estate, which means I have to start planning an Africa trip, but how bad is it, I would be flying to Uganda and I am not heading north (Though the LRA got pushed outh) or to the South as I am not a diamond/uranium/logging smuggler, and the normal department of state website says it is "Critical" risk of crime and high risk of terrorism, so how bad would it be to try and go there.

You're 100% sure you're related to that African Prince?

If it's a critical country it's not impossible but it'll be god drat hard. You'll have to get the go-ahead from AFRICOM and that can take a few weeks. One of my sailors went to Nicaragua recently and approval from SOUTHCOM took us about two months, and the CO wouldn't approve the leave without it.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Analogical posted:

You're 100% sure you're related to that African Prince?

If it's a critical country it's not impossible but it'll be god drat hard. You'll have to get the go-ahead from AFRICOM and that can take a few weeks. One of my sailors went to Nicaragua recently and approval from SOUTHCOM took us about two months, and the CO wouldn't approve the leave without it.

i technically am eligible to become a local chief, not even joking. i literally have land, cattle, and people who paid rent on the property, i inherited it when the grandparents died, so yeah, i apoligize for the 419 types, that is from the Dad's side of the family.

Also, thanks. If I get approval, I'll fly out to Entebbe, see if I can find any bullets from where the Israeli's raided. You are awesome.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ryand-Smith posted:

You're going to have to find the Foreign Clearance Guide - it's UNCLAS. It details all the stuff you're going to need to do to go pretty much anywhere. At a minimum, you'll need to submit an APACS request (don't ask me what it stands for anymore but it's how AFRICOM will clear you), do multiple NKO/JKO kind of things, submit a SERE package, and talk to your security office or SSO depending on the level of clearance you hold. You're probably looking at a multiple-month process.

The FCG tells you literally everything you need to know, including POCs for in-country organizations like State. If you go, when you get back you'll probably get to enjoy a battery of vaccinations.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Boon posted:

You're going to have to find the Foreign Clearance Guide - it's UNCLAS. It details all the stuff you're going to need to do to go pretty much anywhere. At a minimum, you'll need to submit an APACS request (don't ask me what it stands for anymore but it's how AFRICOM will clear you), do multiple NKO/JKO kind of things, submit a SERE package, and talk to your security office or SSO depending on the level of clearance you hold. You're probably looking at a multiple-month process.

The FCG tells you literally everything you need to know, including POCs for in-country organizations like State. If you go, when you get back you'll probably get to enjoy a battery of vaccinations.

And a year of malaria pills.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

CTI2. Wanted to stay a CT but none of the other CT ratings will take a 2011 E5. I know, I've talked to all of their tech ads. It's not that bad.. I always wanted to see more of the Navy, may as well do so the last year i'm in it. I have a job lined up when I get out up as it is. When I'm done with SELRES I'll have my degree and I can apply to OCS for the reserve.

Such a waste. You should just enjoy your last year as best you can, and try to get back to Meade after A school.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
I need some paperwork advice and maybe a little bit more than just that. CTN TECHAD just bounced my conversion package for use of "Psycho pharmaceuticals" and says I'm not going to be allowed to any IDC rating. Here is the kicker, it was a stomach medication with no effects or uses outside of stomach medication(Bentyl for anyone that cares, it slows lower intestines movement speed). I'm no longer on the medication, but he responded with "just being prescribed" is the problem. Something isn't sitting right with this, I've combed MANMED with no mention of anything involving it, the requirements make no mention of it for the rating, not listed on any website involved with conversions or the rating. MILPERSMAN isn't providing any more information. I already hold the required clearances and served in positions beyond what CTN would require security wise. I'm not giving up on this until I find it in writing and to see if it is waiver able. I've seen people on anti-depressants get into and maintain IDC ratings, but some stomach meds for a short time are a no-go? This reeks to high heaven and I'm not letting this go.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Null Integer posted:

I need some paperwork advice and maybe a little bit more than just that. CTN TECHAD just bounced my conversion package for use of "Psycho pharmaceuticals" and says I'm not going to be allowed to any IDC rating. Here is the kicker, it was a stomach medication with no effects or uses outside of stomach medication(Bentyl for anyone that cares, it slows lower intestines movement speed). I'm no longer on the medication, but he responded with "just being prescribed" is the problem. Something isn't sitting right with this, I've combed MANMED with no mention of anything involving it, the requirements make no mention of it for the rating, not listed on any website involved with conversions or the rating. MILPERSMAN isn't providing any more information. I already hold the required clearances and served in positions beyond what CTN would require security wise. I'm not giving up on this until I find it in writing and to see if it is waiver able. I've seen people on anti-depressants get into and maintain IDC ratings, but some stomach meds for a short time are a no-go? This reeks to high heaven and I'm not letting this go.

I wonder if NAMI would be involved since it wasn't prescribed for the mood disorders it's usually given for. Did they want a psychiatric waiver or did he just say "no because reasons"? A roundabout and probably time consuming way would be to get psychiatric clearance, but that'd probably extend your time waiting for papers. Maybe getting a memo from the prescribing provider in support of his diagnosis for it to be prescribed on the basis of the intestinal movement controls.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Pandasmores posted:

I wonder if NAMI would be involved since it wasn't prescribed for the mood disorders it's usually given for. Did they want a psychiatric waiver or did he just say "no because reasons"? A roundabout and probably time consuming way would be to get psychiatric clearance, but that'd probably extend your time waiting for papers. Maybe getting a memo from the prescribing provider in support of his diagnosis for it to be prescribed on the basis of the intestinal movement controls.

It's "No, because you where prescribed this medication" with no references or "get this waiver" provided, hence the heavy search of MANMED and MILPERSMAN that came up with nothing even remotely related. I'm considering now talking with my doc(corpsman), and maybe getting a referral or something to mental health for a statement or something along those lines if it would help.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 17, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

It's "No, because you where prescribed this medication" with no references or "get this waiver" provided, hence the heavy search of MANMED and MILPERSMAN that came up with nothing even remotely related. I'm considering now talking with my doc(corpsman), and maybe getting a referral or something to mental health for a statement or something along those lines if it would help.

I have a diagnosed anxiety condition and am on various anti depressants to deal with it. I converted from CTT to CTN. If you have an active SCI clearance, that hasn't been pulled for medical reasons, the tech ad is full of poo poo. Bentyl isn't really even psychoactive beyond possible addiction potential like everything else.

Edit: sure he didn't read it as Fentanyl or something?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 17, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Don't go IT(SS) unless you really like sub life btw.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

Don't go IT(SS) unless you really like sub life btw.

Hah, I'm a former submariner. I just got off a boat and have to move to another rate.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

I have a diagnosed anxiety condition and am on various anti depressants to deal with it. I converted from CTT to CTN. If you have an active SCI clearance, that hasn't been pulled for medical reasons, the tech ad is full of poo poo. Bentyl isn't really even psychoactive beyond possible addiction potential like everything else.

Edit: sure he didn't read it as Fentanyl or something?

I can't assume anything else other than he read "Psycho Pharmaceuticals" before saying no and moving on to his next email which makes this frustrating. Clearance is well and maintained, I've even discussed it with with the security officer prior to DQ and they had no issues with the meds and clearance. I've been off the meds for over a month now with no side effects.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Hah, I'm a former submariner. I just got off a boat and have to move to another rate.

Some dudes just really like to share beds with other dudes :shrug:

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Pandasmores posted:

E: I missed this one but lol that is a boot as gently caress question.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 17, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Null Integer posted:

I asked an 06 doc friend of mine some questions regarding this. I'll let you know what I find out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

orange juche posted:

E: I missed this one but lol that is a boot as gently caress question.

Sorry I'm a 5 year boot that's never experienced the part of the Navy that actually does things on a ship :smith:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

Sorry I'm a 5 year boot that's never experienced the part of the Navy that actually does things on a ship :smith:

That's why spot checks are over how good you are at finding the relevant information, and then following the information to perform the maintenance, because hoping that people will actually be smart enough to learn how to do maintenance without loving it up somehow it a lot to ask for 99% of the navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If someone fails a spot check it's more an indictment of everyone around them unless its a surprise check and the first time they've ever done one.

The god drat maintenance card details everything you need to do at a junior high reading level.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

According to the Navy History and Heritage Command, today's the Corpsmen's Birthday

quote:

President William McKinley signs into law a Congressional bill authorizing the establishment of the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps ‪#‎OTD‬ in 1898. ‪#‎PeopleMatter‬ U.S. Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery

So, congrats to the whinny Corpsmen here, be sure to clean up after the cake cutting ceremony and get the chairs put away :chiefsay:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

According to the Navy History and Heritage Command, today's the Corpsmen's Birthday

So, congrats to the whinny Corpsmen here, be sure to clean up after the cake cutting ceremony and get the chairs put away :chiefsay:

117 years of losing medical records and prescribing motrin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pandasmores posted:

117 years of losing medical records and prescribing motrin.

You fuckers messed up my meds when you carved a hemorrhoid out of my rear end and I got sent back to the barracks nothing for the pain.

Motrin my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

You fuckers messed up my meds when you carved a hemorrhoid out of my rear end and I got sent back to the barracks nothing for the pain.

Motrin my rear end.

Boots don't get motrin.

• Locked thread