Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Hoping this doesn't lead to the Saddlebags getting too diluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hauki posted:

It doesn't look like the OP has been updated since before the game first released.

...poo poo.

E: Fixed!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

...poo poo.

E: Fixed!

Cool, thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So it seems like Desolation Row is absolutely tearing up the metagame right now. None of the decks are running The Fixer, but I really like the card. I also like the original Sloane outfit for the +1GR start and ability to give my dudes control points. So what if I lose 2GR on my first turn because I have to pay for The Fixer? I'm usually building up control points on my dudes in the first turn while killing their most important guy(s) because I'm getting a Kidnappin' most of the time. I think my deck - and I can't really provide a decklist right now because I'm constantly tweaking it - is like the Sloane version of this Law Dogs deck that does the same thing: try to bully the opponent's best dudes into being discarded or aced to try and win on the first turn.

I really want to like other factions, but I haven't liked playing any other decks I've built. I tried this Morgan deck today and constantly had no income, and felt useless without any relevant actions in my hand ever.

From tournament reports I've read and winning decklists I've seen, the metagame right now is:

Tier S: Sloane Desolation Row
Tier 1: Law Dogs Deputies
Tier 2: Fourth Ring Hexes

This is for one-on-one though. No one talks about multiplayer anywhere, so all I have to go off of is my playgroup. Law Dogs seem to shine in multiplayer more, because they often profit off of Philip Swinford in lowball and tend to have a lot of cheatin' punishment they can use to influence shootouts they're not even a part of.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BJPaskoff posted:

So it seems like Desolation Row is absolutely tearing up the metagame right now. None of the decks are running The Fixer, but I really like the card. I also like the original Sloane outfit for the +1GR start and ability to give my dudes control points. So what if I lose 2GR on my first turn because I have to pay for The Fixer? I'm usually building up control points on my dudes in the first turn while killing their most important guy(s) because I'm getting a Kidnappin' most of the time. I think my deck - and I can't really provide a decklist right now because I'm constantly tweaking it - is like the Sloane version of this Law Dogs deck that does the same thing: try to bully the opponent's best dudes into being discarded or aced to try and win on the first turn.

I really want to like other factions, but I haven't liked playing any other decks I've built. I tried this Morgan deck today and constantly had no income, and felt useless without any relevant actions in my hand ever.

From tournament reports I've read and winning decklists I've seen, the metagame right now is:

Tier S: Sloane Desolation Row
Tier 1: Law Dogs Deputies
Tier 2: Fourth Ring Hexes

This is for one-on-one though. No one talks about multiplayer anywhere, so all I have to go off of is my playgroup. Law Dogs seem to shine in multiplayer more, because they often profit off of Philip Swinford in lowball and tend to have a lot of cheatin' punishment they can use to influence shootouts they're not even a part of.

I dunno about nobody using The Fixer, she seems a stable in the decks I've looked at. People that use her definitely don't keep her though, she's there to grab something from the discard pile to ensure a solid starting hand, usually guarantee cheating punishment and then dump her in the first upkeep and have an aggressive start with the other 4 dudes you're running. The other deck I looked at was looking for an early shotgun for Milt to combo with bad company seems a bit of a gimmick build to me but it's a freaking strong deck and Law Dogs seem to be the only other deck right now capable of fielding a fast enough crew to handle them thanks to Faster on the Draw being another copy of Sun in Your Eyes plus and Wendy being a recurring Pistol Whip.

I'd say LD are number two, I'm underestimating the strength of the jail and it seems to be much better than I thought despite not working on dudes getting aced.

Despite having played a bunch of multiplayer games the only thing I can say for certain is that dudes and deeds is pretty good. Spells are alright though they paint a giant target on you. Sloane is a lot weaker and LDs are mixed depending on what you're doing.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Couple of previews:

http://gomorragazette.com/2015/06/04/no-turning-back-preview-elander-boldman-xp/
Elander Boldman ex. This is an incredible upgrade in my opinion.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2015/06/03/no-turning-back-preview-scoop-hound/
"Scoop Chang, Gomorra Gazette!"

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Doomtown sale(+ some l5r stuff i guess) this weekend;

http://www.l5r.com/2015/06/04/d-day-sale/

I've been thinking about getting Doomtown and the $100 sets seems like a good deal?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PrinnySquadron posted:

Doomtown sale(+ some l5r stuff i guess) this weekend;

http://www.l5r.com/2015/06/04/d-day-sale/

I've been thinking about getting Doomtown and the $100 sets seems like a good deal?

It's a pretty good deal. That same stuff from CSI would be about $109.93 with free shipping in the states so that might still be the better option.

Not a fan of Scoop Hound, not at all. Her fiction was terrible too.

Boldman exp though is money. Great card, great upgrade.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh man, the fiction. It's not very good this time around. It's all very amateur, with lots of "I'm afraid I must insist" type of dialog moments. Even the flavor text often lands without impact, and that poo poo should be easy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh man, the fiction. It's not very good this time around. It's all very amateur, with lots of "I'm afraid I must insist" type of dialog moments. Even the flavor text often lands without impact, and that poo poo should be easy.
Are they having L5R guys handle it? Because it seems like the current writers don't really have a grasp on Westerns as a genre. Or Horror, or Weird Fiction either.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I think you guys have a greatly exaggerated idea of what the AEG writing pool consists of.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PJOmega posted:

I think you guys have a greatly exaggerated idea of what the AEG writing pool consists of.

Oh I'm well aware of where they've been pulling writers from. I'm on a different forum with two of them.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh I'm well aware of where they've been pulling writers from. I'm on a different forum with two of them.

Mind sharing that forum? My curiosity has been piqued, and you don't have PMs so this is the only way to ask.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Mind sharing that forum? My curiosity has been piqued, and you don't have PMs so this is the only way to ask.

RPG.net

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A few of them are quite active on the facebook group for Doomtown as well. The guy who wrote the awful scoop hound fiction, Jon Del Arroz posts pretty regularly. I don't really pay attention to who else is on there but I know a few of the designers/play testers/ writers are, which is why there's a no "AEG bashing" clause in the group rules.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Father Wendigo posted:

Saw this coming a mile away, and my brain actually played the 'sad horn' noise.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Two new previews.

Rapier isn't bad. I'm not sure how I feel about melee weapons yet.

Ol' Fashioned Hanging is a nice card for Law Dogs, but it's off value for anything I would want to use it in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Old Fashioned Hangin' is great except I had that the value clashes with Pistol Whip. I would have liked it more as a 7 so it functioned as an alternate to Kidnappin'.

Melee weapons are interesting. We really haven't seen any Clubs that take advantage of goods, so I hope that's something they'll play around with in the upcoming sets.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
A quick question, the difference between a Job and a Shootout are just the fact that one is initiated from a card (with the stuff the job does)? Like all the sequences for starting a shootout are the same? Shootout plays can still be made?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zombie #246 posted:

A quick question, the difference between a Job and a Shootout are just the fact that one is initiated from a card (with the stuff the job does)? Like all the sequences for starting a shootout are the same? Shootout plays can still be made?

Yes, shootout plays can be made.

The sequences for forming posses via Jobs vs. Calling out a Dude are a bit different.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Elander got his gun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I want more of these guns to support a kamikaze play style. I want to build an army of suicide bomber clowns.

New spell is great too. Lowball punishment that gives influence, stud and bullets. Still not as proactive as I would like but still good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's a neat lil' econ booster that might just have the shittiest art in the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I want more of these guns to support a kamikaze play style. I want to build an army of suicide bomber clowns.

New spell is great too. Lowball punishment that gives influence, stud and bullets. Still not as proactive as I would like but still good.

Finally, more good miracles that don't have a wonky value/TN.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

That art is still a million times better than Scoop Hound in my book. That dudes art seriously bothers me because it looks like he drew different pictures and then edited them together in layers and blurred their edges in photoshop. At least that farm looks like one total painting.

And another preview...

Step 1: Take control of town square.
Step 2: ???????????
Step 3: Profit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's a neat lil' econ booster that might just have the shittiest art in the game.
At least it's slightly western-ish, unlike the totally ":geno:" art on Consecration - which is still better than the inexplicable pink hair and neon blue shirt on Scoop Hound, but still. :smith:

At least Highbender's got decent art.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Step 1: Take control of town square.
Step 2: ???????????
Step 3: Profit

It allows you to shop and invent while in town square.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Office Sheep posted:

It allows you to shop and invent while in town square.

I get what it does, but that just doesn't seem hugely beneficial for his cost/upkeep. You're really just getting the 3 influence on the guy. I guess it's a slight boost to Sloane Gang that might want to always have all their guys in TS, but it's a really minor thing.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

You can also trade there, and hire new dudes directly into town square with a Stagecoach Office.

He's useful, but not amazing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Drifter K is previewed

Quite some harsh meta against Desolation Row, good protection against Kidnappings and Bounty Hunters as well, and very safe from Shotguns obviously. This will see quite a bit of play I think.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

La Quema

Cookin' Up Trouble

Max Baine

Max Baine experienced is Awesome.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Wow were ranches messing up the meta or something

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

No, its a story ability. He left Morgan and so all his Ranches are worth less control. Great card. The others not so much. That horse is a giant pile of crap.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The full set is out! With Max Baine, it looks like a 10s and up deck might be worth building. It has built in protection from Shotguns, and the high values could be good with inventin' and spell castin'.

I'm also interested in clubless decks. There's a lot of powerful-looking effects, but I don't know how not running four of a suit would hurt draw structure.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

The full set is out! With Max Baine, it looks like a 10s and up deck might be worth building. It has built in protection from Shotguns, and the high values could be good with inventin' and spell castin'.

I'm also interested in clubless decks. There's a lot of powerful-looking effects, but I don't know how not running four of a suit would hurt draw structure.

You'll want to open the possibility of straight flushes if possible. Going from 16 to 12 of a rank is going to reduce 4-of-a-kind possibilities.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a spoiler image set out yet? I've grown to like getting to see what's in the pack before I buy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Is there a spoiler image set out yet? I've grown to like getting to see what's in the pack before I buy.

Yeah it's been released in full on dtdb.co

Also on the main AEG website they listed product information and spoiled the two new factions:

The Eagle Wardens
and
The 108 Righteous Bandits

Which seem to be the "new" Sioux and Maze Rats respectively. I'm not totally shocked they went for the Maze Rats the idea of Kung Fu vs Shamans is an interesting idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Somebody's dropping the ball at Alderac, because there's almost zero community or hype for this out in the world. This is a good game. Played the old version in the 90s and this is far better and I really enjoy it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somebody's dropping the ball at Alderac, because there's almost zero community or hype for this out in the world. This is a good game. Played the old version in the 90s and this is far better and I really enjoy it.

AEG is one of those companies that's perfectly happy sitting in it's niche with it's niche audience and strong ties to it's communities. I mean they're happy when something like Thunderstone or Smash Up gets some popularity but they're extremely sensitive to selling out their core fans and the core fans know it which keeps them loyal. It's kind of strange but I felt like community wise, they're always looking for new players but they want a certain kind of player, the typical magic card power gamers are kind of shunned in AEG games. It doesn't look like it's going to do L5R or Netrunner numbers, but I think at this point it's still in a growing period. We're hitting the big regional tournament season so we'll see how well promoted the game gets locally for these major events. I'm always shocked at how many people come out for L5R because it always felt like online there was only like 500 who played the game worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've said it before: It's crazy how unpopular it is when it has so much going for it, like the poker theme, or how cheap it is when there's deals all the time and there are relatively few expansions compared to other LCGs, or how it moves seamlessly from 1v1 to multiplayer. I love Netrunner, but I'm going to need to spend $150+ to get all the expansions I'm missing. Meanwhile like every other day you can get every Doomtown set printed and two of the core sets for $100 on MassDrop or some other site. I don't feel like this is true the rest of the world, but there are less people who play Netrunner here than Doomtown - but that's only because Doomtown has like five players and Netrunner has one or two, and that only happened because we had some guys who used to play Doomtown Classic well past its cancellation.

• Locked thread