Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So it's been like a year and a half since I asked in the beta "why does this game run like absolute horseshit on a high end PC when it looks worse than WoW?"

Did they ever actually optimise the game like their kept claiming they would?

They don't need to bother optimizing it because the people who play the game are going to keep playing regardless of how it runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I gave my humble bundle key to my brother for his birthday as well and he asked why I sent him a closed beta key to something that is no where close to done. He just laughed when I told him it has been out for a year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BigPaddy posted:

I gave my humble bundle key to my brother for his birthday as well and he asked why I sent him a closed beta key to something that is no where close to done. He just laughed when I told him it has been out for a year.

I hope you hate your brother and also that your parents disowned you. What a poo poo present.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Byolante posted:

I hope you hate your brother and also that your parents disowned you. What a poo poo present.

The wildstar thread: where we beat dead horses into a fine paste.

Actually, no, that's all of SA.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Byolante posted:

He bought me Age of Conan on release day so fairs fair.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Are you talking about normal family relations or the beginnings of a hundred-year blood feud

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is a family tradition of buying each other lovely games going all the way back to him being a babby and having an Amiga 500 and me being a pure blood member of the C64 Master Race. Steam Sale and Humble Bundle has taken the gamesmanship to the next level.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

It is a family tradition of buying each other lovely games going all the way back to him being a babby and having an Amiga 500 and me being a pure blood member of the C64 Master Race. Steam Sale and Humble Bundle has taken the gamesmanship to the next level.

I see you were gifted mortal Kombat for the Amiga too

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Carbine decided that the information about the next patch it promised it'd release at E3 is going to be under press embargo for a few weeks

panda clue
May 23, 2014

lol. loving why? did the management just say "well we're a game company so we should do an embargo thing on our e3 stuff i guess"?

edit: looks like that literally is the reason. "other studios do it, so I guess we should too"

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 17, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
"Yeah we had to embargo it, we didn't want anyone getting hurt tripping over themselves to publish these hot scoops."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm gonna play the poo poo out of Wildstar (for 30 days) and this thread can't stop me!

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

it's like watching abused children beg for table scraps

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Berious posted:

I'm gonna play the poo poo out of Wildstar (for 30 days) and this thread can't stop me!

There are rules against posting about self-harm and suicidal thoughts on SA, please get professional help.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This thread is for harm reduction, i.e. the earlier 12 step program

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

BigPaddy posted:

I bought my brother Tabula Rasa shortly after launch for Christmas, I'm still awaiting his revenge as it will be ice cold and 8 years in the making (which is longer than that lovely game was in development.)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mayostard posted:

I bought my brother Tabula Rasa shortly after launch for Christmas, I'm still awaiting his revenge as it will be ice cold and 8 years in the making (which is longer than that lovely game was in development.)

your brother is actually the developer that made bad rats, bad rats 2 is your sin to bear

Selane
May 19, 2006

It may be a terrible game but Wildstar must be a pretty nice game to work on for the devs. You can mess poo poo up as much as you want, and your mentally damaged fans will rush to defend you regardless.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Selane posted:

It may be a terrible game but Wildstar must be a pretty nice game to work on for the devs. You can mess poo poo up as much as you want, and your mentally damaged fans will rush to defend you regardless.

evidence says that it's a dystopian pile of fear and misery especially concerning who's getting cut next. so many people have gotten fired from carbine over this fiasco already

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Selane posted:

It actually sounds pretty terrible. Not only do the glass door posts suggest numerous things about Carbine that are very negative , but I would imagine that the employees there are probably regularly fearing for their job security. Especially when looking at those NCsoft quarterly earnings reports.

As much as I like to rip into Wildstar, the truth is that there are probably a lot of developers there who feel similarly to us but are not in any position of power to do anything about it. We have to remember that it is common for developers to be completely separated from design decisions.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Xavier434 posted:

As much as I like to rip into Wildstar, the truth is that there are probably a lot of developers there who feel similarly to us but are not in any position of power to do anything about it. We have to remember that it is common for developers to be completely separated from design decisions.
Yeah, this. Without tons of talented people doing their best the game of this scope wouldn't have even made it to release.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
there are plenty of people who exerted their power to do something about it. by quitting and getting a real job. carbine management sounds like it's psychotic, and 40k per year is absolute dogshit for the education it takes to make video games.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 18, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Games Developers are soulless work houses that take young talented programmers and turn them into bitter vets far faster than any other tech industry,

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

It actually sounds pretty terrible. Not only do the glass door posts suggest numerous things about Carbine that are very negative , but I would imagine that the employees there are probably regularly fearing for their job security. Especially when looking at those NCsoft quarterly earnings reports.

what they should be fearing is nobody ever hiring them again after being a part of that unprecedented shitpile but eh

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

cthulhoo posted:

what they should be fearing is nobody ever hiring them again after being a part of that unprecedented shitpile but eh

Eh...not really. Not for the people who were not involved making the important decisions at least. It is pretty common knowledge in the software development industry that the programmers are often not to blame for design decisions or failures based on those decisions. Now, the upper management? Yeah, those people have black marks on their resumes now.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

those will probably have less trouble finding work when carbine finally implodes, lol

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
nah, those chumps lucked out really hard that they got funded after getting the boot from blizzard. now investors will be cognizant of why.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cthulhoo posted:

I think they will be fine. It's been said in here iirc that it's not uncommon for game devs to move from studio to studio. Experience is worth a lot regardless of how poo poo the product was.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

People who work in the games industry are not really people :ssh:

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
I came here expecting useful information about the game that came with my sweet Payday 2 masks, but what I found was so much better, thank you.

I think this is the first dead game I've come to play where there wasn't a bunch of goons still clinging to hope.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dazh posted:

I came here expecting useful information about the game that came with my sweet Payday 2 masks, but what I found was so much better, thank you.

I think this is the first dead game I've come to play where there wasn't a bunch of goons still clinging to hope.

This thread is a vast, empty wasteland just like the game, and our souls.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Dazh posted:

consider visiting archeage thread

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

or the city of hereos thread :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

city of herpes heh :unsmith:

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

How many pedophiles can I expect in Wildstar? Comparable?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

prob about the same since nobody really plays either of them

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

cthulhoo posted:

The AA thread calmed down because Trion managed to extinguish that particular dumpster fire of a game. Now it is just a burnt out husk with a few desperate hangers on still posting.

Carbine on the other had seems determined to continue doubling down on their bad decisions. That, combined with their community of extremely rabid, extremely rabid fans leads to a pretty steady stream of comedy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Eh...not really. Not for the people who were not involved making the important decisions at least. It is pretty common knowledge in the software development industry that the programmers are often not to blame for design decisions or failures based on those decisions. Now, the upper management? Yeah, those people have black marks on their resumes now.

Pretty sure you have to be a Dennis Dyack level fuckup to actually get blacklisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

The Moon Monster posted:

Pretty sure you have to be a Dennis Dyack level fuckup to actually get blacklisted.

I think it was established before that the top guys in development always fail upwards. Hell, John Romero is still around.

• Locked thread