Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
To the person who had recommended kuftal tunnel last night for my bst whm combo, thank you. I left my bst at level 99 so he could kill things faster. Kithyen was level 92 and after an hour or so with 20+ xp chains he is now 98. Would have been 99 but silly adult responsibilities and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Is RDM a good class to sub if I'm maining a MNK or a WAR? I've heard reports that it's totally nerfed post level 50 but if the highest it can be is 48 (at least until my main job is above 99) that wouldn't be a problem. Good idea? Bad idea? Fine idea?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Terrible idea. You won't enfeeble for poo poo and other jobs have better benefits. MNK would sub WAR for double attack/berserk/warcry, WAR would sub SAM for Hasso and boatloads of Store TP. Then again there's a lot of noise about WAR Fencer builds lately, but even so you're probably better off subbing RUN if you wanted enspell damage since that also gives you elemental resistance and a wide range of defensive buffs.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dadjacket posted:

Is RDM a good class to sub if I'm maining a MNK or a WAR? I've heard reports that it's totally nerfed post level 50 but if the highest it can be is 48 (at least until my main job is above 99) that wouldn't be a problem. Good idea? Bad idea? Fine idea?

Rdm has it's uses. Just not as a subjob for mnk or war. Eight-Six already told you why rdm is not a good idea as a sub for mnk or war. Mnk and war benefit from having dnc sub for soloing, sam for helping spam ws, run for surviving powerful magic attacks. Nin is also a good sub, but has only a few uses.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I was definitely remiss in not mentioning /DNC, it's a great all-around soloer subjob and can give any melee DD survivability in Alluvion Yorcia Skirmish (although /nin is probably better for guaranteed shadows though, especially against single butterfly Escalents).

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
Dancer has so much utility, if played properly you can be the most OP person. Played poorly, you can be another schmuck.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I look at the trial of the magians, and I look at my experience in getting myself an epona's ring, and I say to myself:

I don't care if it did a lot of good for the health of the game, Abyssea did a lot of bad for the health of the game too. Such a...garbage system of everything.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Wrong

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It works a hell of a lot more now that everyone is ilvl and fights take a lot less, but 1500 heavy metal plates is still a dogballs requirement for anything, and I can't imagine taking that poo poo on at vanilla 99.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It works a hell of a lot more now that everyone is ilvl and fights take a lot less, but 1500 heavy metal plates is still a dogballs requirement for anything, and I can't imagine taking that poo poo on at vanilla 99.

Alot more people were doing voidwatch at the time. Plates were plentiful and the weapons at least didn't suck complete rear end. I don't think a single empy weapon is worth doing at the moment, except shield and harp.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
My crappy magian daggers were the first things I tossed when I resubbed.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Alot more people were doing voidwatch at the time. Plates were plentiful and the weapons at least didn't suck complete rear end. I don't think a single empy weapon is worth doing at the moment, except shield and harp.
Shield at 99 just gives you a little more VIT and Defense, so it's not worth doing.

Only thing worth doing is harp.

As for abyssea, it saved the subscription rate for awhile. Voidwatch killed things off quickly with god awful droprates.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

LiquidFriend posted:

Shield at 99 just gives you a little more VIT and Defense, so it's not worth doing.

Only thing worth doing is harp.

As for abyssea, it saved the subscription rate for awhile. Voidwatch killed things off quickly with god awful droprates.

Yeah, I guess that's one way of looking at it. The abyssea zones themselves are neat, story was cool, and the proc-ing system ain't that bad. It's more the voidwatch stuff that irks me, and gameplay mechanic poo poo like large-radius AoE charm that depops the mob.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Voidwatch came shortly after Abyssea ended and was terrible all around.

1500 hmp happened because players whined that emp weapons were too easy to make. It was a fair complaint, but they failed to make the final form weapons worth gathering 1500 plates.

Base dmg too low and the ODD effect not applying to all hits on a multi hit WS really makes them lag behind.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah you're crazy, Abyssea was the best. I don't think I had that much fun in ages really. Being able to accomplish a lot with a small group is what FFXI needed at that stage in its life. It also broke down a lot of walls on what jobs were NEEDED. Sure the cookie cutter jobs were the best, but you could roll in as any job and get poo poo done too. I actually wish they had done more with it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Yeah you're crazy, Abyssea was the best. I don't think I had that much fun in ages really. Being able to accomplish a lot with a small group is what FFXI needed at that stage in its life. It also broke down a lot of walls on what jobs were NEEDED. Sure the cookie cutter jobs were the best, but you could roll in as any job and get poo poo done too. I actually wish they had done more with it.

The only real complaint i had with abyssea and voidwatch was the proc system. It was pretty annoying to deal with and gimped small groups. Getting the right proc for drops in abyssea or getting capped lights in vw. Only now both issues are further exasperated by power creep from being 119.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Any goons happen to be sitting on a working copy of CampAH?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Any goons happen to be sitting on a working copy of CampAH?

I do not have a working copy of CampAH. If you do find a working copy, be careful because SE is banning people using programs like CampAH and other stuff. They don't seem to ban people right away but they do it in a big grouping of people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What does campAH do? Never heard of it.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Neither have I, but I'd wager it camps. The AH.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Valle posted:

Neither have I, but I'd wager it camps. The AH.

It camps the ah, it is basically a way to buy/sell stuff on the ah while you are afk. I am sure it does other things too, but I can't remember.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

I do not have a working copy of CampAH. If you do find a working copy, be careful because SE is banning people using programs like CampAH and other stuff. They don't seem to ban people right away but they do it in a big grouping of people.
My last .exe is from 2012.

Would be using it to buy rocks and ores with the mule while I craft on my main. Having to deal with the UI to buy 70 individual rocks tends to get annoying after awhile.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

What rocks? I thought they were all stacked these days.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Valle posted:

most crafting mats are stackable to at least 12, I think most of them stack to 99 though.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Valle posted:

It's typically a lot cheaper to buy them individually over stacks. It gets tiring doing the scroll to 1000 gil or whatever after about 70 times.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell, with campAH your bigger problem is how little the AH gets used nowadays

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Anybody have any issues with getting ApRadar3 to work with Adoulin? I have the map pack for it, but I get an unknown zone in ApRadar, which makes me think it's not recognizing and of the Zone's for Adoulin.

edit: Nevermind, I found the latest version of ApRadar where it works.

Thern fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 14, 2015

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Atmas were the coolest thing. I only wish that (like most things in XI) they were better balanced. Some of them were loving awesome (RR, VV, MM, etc) while a lot of them just sucked balls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eco-Warrior patch coming soon.

Sweet release from suffering is almost here.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Eco-Warrior patch coming soon.

Sweet release from suffering is almost here.

It is about time, I was ready to riot at the SE headquarters because Eco-Warrior is poopy.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Afterglow fishing poles, what a time to be alive!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I remember, back in 2004, someone was shouting to do eco-warrior bastok. We all went out to the mines and spent an hour or so wiping on skeletons because everyone grouped up when they did that drain move and they'd never die.

That's my eco-warrior story, thanks for listening.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

On powerleveling:

I found that even when you're leveling someone who is far too low to get exp from the battle, you can still get the chain bonus that is relative to your level. I took Wallet to Marjami ravine and had him stand midway on the bridge to the stryxes, then ran around with Kusa killing birds. I averaged 1 level every 3 birds, as the chain bonus scaled with level (through at least 24).

It's not bad to keep this in mind if you want to combine powerleveling with capacity point farming.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I've played this game off and on since release, and most recently quit a few months into WotG. I only have 1 lvl 75 job (loldrg) that I mostly used to solo as /WHM or /BLU. I have never progressed in the stories beyond getting Rank 10 in Sandy, and to the Minotaur in CoP. I want to return and start a fresh character on Asura just to do all of the stories that I never got a chance to do.

It looks like BST is a good option, and I'm also interested in SAM. I guess I can use /WAR and /DNC on both of these so my plan would be just to level WAR and DNC to 49, and BST and SAM to 99 and get some "sparks gear" and decent weapons and I should be able to solo most, if not all, of the RotZ, CoP, and WotG story missions. Will that work?

Also, if I buy the Ultimate Collection, can I add it to my current POL/SquareEnix account and create a new character on Asura? Or do I have to create a new account to play on a different server than my other characters (who were on Quetz last time I played)?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Celador posted:

I've played this game off and on since release, and most recently quit a few months into WotG. I only have 1 lvl 75 job (loldrg) that I mostly used to solo as /WHM or /BLU. I have never progressed in the stories beyond getting Rank 10 in Sandy, and to the Minotaur in CoP. I want to return and start a fresh character on Asura just to do all of the stories that I never got a chance to do.

It looks like BST is a good option, and I'm also interested in SAM. I guess I can use /WAR and /DNC on both of these so my plan would be just to level WAR and DNC to 49, and BST and SAM to 99 and get some "sparks gear" and decent weapons and I should be able to solo most, if not all, of the RotZ, CoP, and WotG story missions. Will that work?

Also, if I buy the Ultimate Collection, can I add it to my current POL/SquareEnix account and create a new character on Asura? Or do I have to create a new account to play on a different server than my other characters (who were on Quetz last time I played)?

Welcome back! I remember your avatar. Taking up WAR and DNC as subjobs, then BST and SAM using sparks gear should work nicely. With some ilevel gear when you hit 99 you'll be able to solo all of RotZ, CoP and WotG indeed.

As for using the Ultimate Collection code on your current POL/Squeenix account, that should work and you can create new characters on any server, but I don't think you get the free month then. You might be best served making a new POL account. Btw, you can have several POL accounts tied to your Squeenix account though, so no need for another one of those.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

For high level content on BST, you will want nin sub. Your pet will be doing all the work, so dnc abilities won't help you at all.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I saw a link on Blue Gartr to download the game and expansions, without using the slower POL servers. Can I download that now to get the game installed before I start my free month? I'm busy for the next couple of weeks with work/family stuff so I don't want to activate the new account until I can actually sit down and play.

Does the download include the patches? Or will I have to sit thru 8 hours of "downloading... checking... installing..." like in the old days?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Celador posted:

I saw a link on Blue Gartr to download the game and expansions, without using the slower POL servers. Can I download that now to get the game installed before I start my free month? I'm busy for the next couple of weeks with work/family stuff so I don't want to activate the new account until I can actually sit down and play.

Does the download include the patches? Or will I have to sit thru 8 hours of "downloading... checking... installing..." like in the old days?

I'm not sure if that download has all the patches, but if it does then you still have to sit through a POL file check. It's not terribly long, but is still a bit slow since it's POL. It seems to go a lot faster if POL is the active window so I'd just turn off your speakers and afk for a bit.

The monthly patches are always posted as zips on BG. So if you look hard enough you could find them all (assuming the links aren't broken). They are usually posted in the patch discussion or dat mining threads for each patch.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

RIP Power BST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Eh?