Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I honestly wonder if BBC-A will even pay to license the re-launched show since it's bound to take a massive MASSIVE ratings nosedive the instant people figure out the three aren't coming back.

I wouldn't be surprised if BBC-A got a pretty steep license discount on New Top Gear, since they got screwed out of the last couple episodes of the last series, and BBC might be somewhat desperate to hold on to the audience, especially if Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman decide to launch a competing show on a platform like Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Chris Evans radio show gets about ten million listeners, there's no way a show he fronts is going to be a ratings disaster.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

bull3964 posted:

That's actually the worst part of the announcement. There's no way in hell they've been able to retool in 2.5 months time.

Yeah that might be the biggest red flag. If the new show doesn't open strong the viewership is likely to completely crater immediately, and rushing out the new crew doesn't help the odds they hit the ground running.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Idk if Chris Evans will be that bad, just didn't know he was into cars and wondering how he's gonna have time to do top gear and all the upcoming marvel movies...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Chris Evans is a loving twat who the BBC love to overpay. Didn't they sack him once too from the radio 1 breakfast show?

Despite this, he isn't too bad a presenter if you can put up with him and is definitely a 'car guy'. Enough of the population also seem to like him (10 million people listen to his current radio show) such that he should be a popular enough name for top gear - in the UK at least where we actually know who he is...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tomarse posted:

Chris Evans is a loving twat who the BBC love to overpay. Didn't they sack him once too from the radio 1 breakfast show?

Despite this, he isn't too bad a presenter if you can put up with him and is definitely a 'car guy'. Enough of the population also seem to like him (10 million people listen to his current radio show) such that he should be a popular enough name for top gear - in the UK at least where we actually know who he is...

He got fired for not showing up to work while he went on a week-long bender.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

uPen posted:

He got fired for not showing up to work while he went on a week-long bender.

tbh that's pretty great

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tomarse posted:

Millions of people listen to crap like Opie and Anthony here, that doesn't mean they aren't painfully unfunny shitstains.

Top gear wasn't popular because it was about cars, it was popular because of the hosts, and without them we will likely end up with another Fifth Gear.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone actually know if Evans likes cars, or just bought those ferraris as investments? He's never sat right with me. Also using them once a year in his charity thing, does that come with certain tax incentives?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
He's been on top gear twice. 2005 and season 14.
in 2005 he had lots of landrovers, mustangs and jags as well as a ferrari or two; Also a morris and mini bus. I think he was top 5 on the SIARPC for that year too.
E: wiki says he was 6th in the end due to Ellen MacArthur topping the board

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 17, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To answer the "Is Chris Evans a car guy?" question...

http://www.motoringresearch.com/top-cars/the-chris-evans-car-collection-0521976651

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cloudchamber posted:

Chris Evans radio show gets about ten million listeners, there's no way a show he fronts is going to be a ratings disaster.
By that logic Oprah could host it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Evans has been on Top Gear at least once, James May got to take the rare Ferrari out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWMYcPX27s

It will be very interesting to see how they get on. I'm banking on spectacular failure or spectacular success, nothing in between.

Actually, no, the other way around. It's going to be a tepid non-failure.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I highly expect they'll have Evans, Jodie Marsh or Suzi Perry and some idiot like Vernon Kay or Nick Grimes to appeal to the youngsters. They'll all hate each other and the show will tank after one season.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Could always roll out Steve Berry and alienate an entirely new audience along with everyone that thinks he can't be as bad as I remember surely?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The top gear execs tried to change the presenters for the first couple of years whenever they found out a new audience demographic liked the show. Wilman told some stories about how the BBC refused to tell Hammond he had a job on the next series as they found out 48% of their audience were women so were trying to get a female presenter in, and when they got rid of Jason Dawe they kept putting massive pressure on them to bring in a young 20 something lad to appeal to the vauxhall nova brigade.

Its going to be a bunch of presenters decided on by committee on their ability to appeal to every demographic, and not their chemistry together which is what made the show so popular.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Look at a person just like you" is such a ridiculous idea for what TV execs think a show should be.

I don't watch Jeremy and James because they're exactly like me, I watch them because they're weird old fussy guys with good senses of humor and that makes me laugh.

(Richard is exactly like me)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I see no way New Top Gear isn't toned-down and PC as hell out of fear or anything even vaguely Clarkson-Like happening ever again. It'll be scripted, feel fake, forced, and won't be anything like the show that everyone loved. They should rename and reboot entirely.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wamsutta posted:

They should rename and reboot entirely.
Top Ginge.

I can't stand Chris Evans, and never have. Like Clarkson, he's an arrogant and abrasive egotist, but the main difference between him and Clarkson is that Jeremy isn't afraid to let himself look like an absolute imbecile, which allows him to get away with whatever rubbish he's spouting, whereas I've never once seen Evans trying to portray himself as anything less than utterly brilliant and a comedic genius and ooh so rock 'n' roll woo, PAY ATTENTION TO ME. The format of "three idiots have calamity-prone misadventures in cars" isn't going to work with someone like that at the centre.

And god, no, not Suzi Perry. The BBC's F1 coverage has gone massively downhill since Jake left and she took over. She's so bloody dull.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*edit: aimed at Wamsutta

^^ you're saying that like the Top Gear that just left wasn't remarkably scripted and fake. I'm not even suggested I had a problem with it but it was in no way as off the cuff as some people seem to believe.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Wamsutta posted:

I see no way New Top Gear isn't toned-down and PC as hell out of fear or anything even vaguely Clarkson-Like happening ever again. It'll be scripted, feel fake, forced, and won't be anything like the show that everyone loved. They should rename and reboot entirely.

So it will be like the last few seasons of forced, obviously scripted, mostly fake gags only with less overt racism and shouts of "POWER!"?

Everybody claiming the sky is falling needs to calm down until we see new episodes. If we can't get 3 dudes or shredded who are into cars, old and new, to compete in inane challenges for ridiculous amounts of money something is wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Top Gear absolutely was scripted and fake, but it was scripted and fake in a way that suited the presenters that grew over 13 years.

For example, I'm sure the first instance of them running into each other when they came to a stop was by accident, but it was easy and natural (and funny) to turn it into a running gag.

These presenters won't have history like that and if they are going to force the same format right off the bat without letting it evolve naturally, people are going to reject it.

Go back and look at the first few seasons of Top Gear 2002 and you can see that things grew over time. That's what they need to do with this if they want it to even have a chance. But if they are keeping the exact same style program with the same style jokes and hi-jinks, only changing the presenters, it isn't going to work and people will be unhappy with it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Take the Top Gear American route and just do an entire series of specials with no studio segments.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alighieri posted:

Take the Top Gear American route and just do an entire series of specials with no studio segments.

Ah, you selectively forgot the misery that was TGUS studio episodes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I would imagine it's not forgetting, it's not holding it against them because they don't do them anymore.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

meatpimp posted:

Ah, you selectively forgot the misery that was TGUS studio episodes.

TGUS for me started with the Alaska special, I think that was their S1 finale and after that no more studio segments iirc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TGUS tries so hard to have its own running gags.

"Really?" :geno:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

88h88 posted:

*edit: aimed at Wamsutta

^^ you're saying that like the Top Gear that just left wasn't remarkably scripted and fake. I'm not even suggested I had a problem with it but it was in no way as off the cuff as some people seem to believe.

I feel like the guys had a lot of creative liberty over what they were going to say/make jokes on, but yeah obviously they scripted stuff like the challenges etc.

I dunno, I don't have faith in a new crew to do this show justice. Maybe I'll be wrong.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I remember seeing Chris Evans on TG, and I don't really like red Ferraris all that much, but a white F40 (before or after Labor Day) is a crime.

It's like painting a DeLorean but worse.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

InitialDave posted:

By that logic Oprah could host it.

Maybe, but Evans is someone who has proven himself to be capable of competently hosting multiple ventures over the years both on the radio and television and always grabbed high viewing figures. I'd say because of that it's a relatively safe bet that the renewed show will find a sizable audience even if the retouched format (however it looks) might not suit everyone.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Not every car Evans has bought has been a ferrari, or a white one at that.
Someone mentioned earlier whether Evans just owns white ferrais as an investment and is not a car guy. Hell no, is fact he just buys cars he likes and "wins" auctions because he's willing to pay stupid money, or otherwise spends ridiculous money on restorations. He would be losing millions on cars he bought.
I looked up what episodes he was on for SIARPC, 2005 06e9 when he owned only a couple non white ferraris, an episode I mentioned before , and s14e03 in 2009. I think he was 20th on the lap times then, but was the 2nd fastest wet lap time (after Eric Banna).

I don't know the guy besides those episodes and a later episode whereJames May borrows a Ferrari. But he seemed OK on those earlier two appearances and it wasn't a bad segment.
Everyone judging Evans should watch those early SIARPC appearances.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Alighieri posted:

TGUS for me started with the Alaska special, I think that was their S1 finale and after that no more studio segments iirc.

They started moving away from the format in season 2, but they still had the SIARPC segments. Season 3 is when they ditched those.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Payndz posted:

I can't stand Chris Evans, and never have. Like Clarkson, he's an arrogant and abrasive egotist, but the main difference between him and Clarkson is that Jeremy isn't afraid to let himself look like an absolute imbecile, which allows him to get away with whatever rubbish he's spouting, whereas I've never once seen Evans trying to portray himself as anything less than utterly brilliant and a comedic genius and ooh so rock 'n' roll woo, PAY ATTENTION TO ME. The format of "three idiots have calamity-prone misadventures in cars" isn't going to work with someone like that at the centre.

Thank you. You have said exactly what I was having trouble putting into words. He's an egomaniac, but not in the good way.

He's also a bit creepy:

At 34, he married Billie Piper aged 18. Her mum was only 3 years older than him.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

spog posted:

Thank you. You have said exactly what I was having trouble putting into words. He's an egomaniac, but not in the good way.

He's also a bit creepy:

At 34, he married Billie Piper aged 18. Her mum was only 3 years older than him.

I think it would be safer to say that at age 18, Billie Piper married his money

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

neckbeard posted:

Shut up. Don't slander Billie Piper.

"A story in The Independent on 27 June 2006, stated that Piper has declared that she does not wish to claim any money from Evans' reported £50 million wealth or his £540,000 salary from Radio Two. "I'm not taking a penny from him," she told the Radio Times. "I think that's disgusting.""

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

neckbeard posted:

Nah they were very much alike personality wise, he was until about a decade ago a big kid and could act like a twat, he has since grown up a lot. Think it was the end of his Marrage to Billy and the few years he did working on his own Market Stall (something he did as a joke when one of his TV shows bombed and he just kept doing it) that made him grow up. Its why -

quote:

but the main difference between him and Clarkson is that Jeremy isn't afraid to let himself look like an absolute imbecile

is such an odd statement he throughout his career made part of his trade mark being made an absolute imbecile and takes it to heart that much that he does stuff like the Market Stall. Hell a large part of why TFI Friday worked so well was that he wasn't afraid to take this piss out of himself. He just doesn't seem to be that 'lad' type of guy any more though.

Also he confirmed today that one of his co-presenters is a Woman - so that's either Suzy Perry and Jodi Kidd then as expected. Big question is who is the third.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 17, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

captainOrbital posted:

I remember seeing Chris Evans on TG, and I don't really like red Ferraris all that much, but a white F40 (before or after Labor Day) is a crime.

It's like painting a DeLorean but worse.

White definitely works OK on some Ferraris though. :frogc00l:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ukle posted:

Also he confirmed today that one of his co-presenters is a Woman - so that's either Suzy Perry and Jodi Kidd then as expected. Big question is who is the third.

No other female choices?

Can't say that either of them inspires me. Jodi Kidd seems to confirm the decision to invent The Stig as racing drivers have no personalities. stereotype that supermodels are a bit thick.

EDIT: corrected - I thought she'd been a pro racer before a TV presenter.

spog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 17, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

spog posted:

No other female choices?

What about Laura Howard or Olivia Colman or Jessica Hynes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It'll have to be a black since BBc is ticking all their boxes.

SAVE US IDRIS