Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anjow posted:

When I connect my rooted Note 3 SM-N9005 on 4.4.2 to my Mac, Kies says that there's an update available to 5.0.

Can a rooted user update using this method? Does one have to unroot to do it?

If my memory doesn't fail me, you can still install 5.0 even if you're rooted with Kies. You will just lose root since it'll apply the full lollipop image instead of an OTA. I may be wrong since I don't use kies since like 2013 to fix my s4 once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
i gotta say that for pretty much any major phone modification you must root your phone. That's pretty much the bare minimum & I don't think that's changed in the 5-10 years I've been fiddling around with phones in my spare time as a hobby

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've got a Kindle Fire HDX that I want to put the Play store on but apparently the current version of their OS ( 4.5.4 ) makes this impossible. Where can I go to keep track of any kind of breakthrough on that front?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Posting this here out of desperation -

Just released an app and I'm getting a number of crashes only from rooted users running Xposed. It seems that some feature of either some version of Xposed itself or a popular module is either corrupting the JSON I'm saving to SharedPreferences or killing GSON's ability to deserialize a HashSet (by somehow loving up TypeToken's ability to capture a generic type? loving with runtime types or reflection maybe?). You guys seem to have quite a bit of subject matter expertise on Xposed. I've currently got it running on Genymotion and I've run it through a number of popular modules to see if I can reproduce; no luck.

Any ideas on what might cause Xposed or one of its popular mods to do something like this? Is there some particular version that's been loving with other apps that anyone knows of?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xposed exists for the express purpose of hacking the system framework and build properties. Stock rooted - even with things like Busybox/AdAway/etc - is a predictable quantity, and projects like CyanogenMod and its descendants are at least something you can aim at, but users of Xposed have self-identified as iconoclasts and snowflakes and Xposed itself is dependent on a variety of framework-specific plugins of unreliable quality.

I'd say that if nothing else, the user using Xposed should probably be considered to be on their own. You can't help them all and you probably have better things to do with your development time.

I'm not sure what effect your app's Google Play ratings have on your program - some seem to live and/or die by them and others seem to be unaffected - but if it becomes a problem you might want to ask someone who's better at PR than me how (or even whether) to address them.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I'm not too worried about review scores at the moment, as my app is pretty young and marketed to a niche community it's doing well on that front. I also heavily push sending in-app feedback with a giant button for it, which has been shown to be the best way to avert negative Store reviews and worked really well so far.

I'm not going to spend a ton of time on it, I just thinking that if there were some particular version of Xposed known to be unstable or some really popular modules I could run through, I might reproduce the issue quickly. It takes me no time at all to test and it's my only known bug right now.

Worst case scenario I can always detect Xposed programmatically and tell those users to try a different app, but that would suck.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Xprivacy sends fake data to apps, maybe it's messing up something yours does?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah if you really want to get to the bottom of this you'll probably need to know a bit more about what versions of xposed and what xposed modules they're running

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

My HTC One (M7) has started bothering me about an OTA-Update.
It's rooted and with the TWRP Recovery, but otherwise stock.
Is there an easy way to install this update, or do I have to wipe, install a full image and then re-root?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The latter. Use wugfresh.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Thanks for the ideas on Xposed. I've tried xprivacy and some other stuff, no luck. Seems like a needle in a haystack. I've decided to just detect when the problem happens and present the user with a popup directing them to send feedback with more details of their root setup. Hopefully that will result in something I can work with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, you should just tell them to pound sand. You'll go crazy trying to quash every bug caused by a functionally nonexistent part of the market unless your app is specifically targeted at that market.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

speng31b posted:

Thanks for the ideas on Xposed. I've tried xprivacy and some other stuff, no luck. Seems like a needle in a haystack. I've decided to just detect when the problem happens and present the user with a popup directing them to send feedback with more details of their root setup. Hopefully that will result in something I can work with.

What devices are experiencing the crashes? If it's Nexus devices, check GravityBox and its three billion options. If it's Samsungs, maybe look at TouchWiz-targeted mods.

Really though, Endless Mike is right. gently caress these guys and tell them to provide a description of what modules they're running if they request support.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

A variety of devices, all nexus and samsung so far, but for my user base those are the most common devices so that's not statistically meaningful.

I'm not going to go nuts over it, but if it had turned out to be a quick fix that would have been nice. Doesn't look like that will be the case. To be fair I've dealt with worse; we've been pressured to make a regression-prone change to a core networking component to fix a problem caused exclusively by jailbroken iOS devices running software designed to pirate in app purchases. Users do dumb things to their devices and at the end of the day we have to try to provide them a good experience anyhow.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Ugh you really can't root M without flashing some shady XDA kernel? All I want is Titanium Backup (and maybe adblock) to work. :(

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

XDA has never seemed shady to me?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dik-dik posted:

I think he's just not happy he can't just TeamWin that poo poo.

Something will get figured out for the release probably.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Out of those 2 n5 kernel options for rooting m, anyone know which has less of the :rice: optimisations in it?

Or if there is a completely stock one that just has the selinux mode changed?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

dik-dik posted:

I just don't really like running the hacked up kernels that are found there. I'd prefer to run as close to stock as possible.

Skarsnik posted:

Out of those 2 n5 kernel options for rooting m, anyone know which has less of the :rice: optimisations in it?

Or if there is a completely stock one that just has the selinux mode changed?

Same question but for the N6.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

So I got my FireHDX rolled back to 4.5.2, got root, and disabled OTA updates. Installed the Play store and was going nuts installing stuff from there but after a restart the Play store no longer works. Just an infinitely loading white screen.

I hate it when I only have the wrong tool for the job.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I got my FireHDX rolled back to 4.5.2, got root, and disabled OTA updates. Installed the Play store and was going nuts installing stuff from there but after a restart the Play store no longer works. Just an infinitely loading white screen.

I hate it when I only have the wrong tool for the job.

Try clearing the cache and app data for the Play Store, and maybe for Play Services. Helps sometimes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Don't run hacked kernels unless you're ok with whomever made them(NSA) possibly owning your device & all data that passes through it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dont be silly, these ones are made by 13 year olds

It'll be fine

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If it's not made by MagnusRagnarok, I don't run it. :colbert:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

FlyingCheese posted:

Same question but for the N6.
I don't think anyone released a N6 kernel for M that just has SELinux set to permissive so you can root. Everyone wants to add all their great optimizations they found in a post from 2009 too.

Edit: I went looking after typing that up and there's a version of the ElementalX kernel for the M preview now that should support SuperSU, so I'd go with that one. There's about three and a half developers I trust for the N6 and the guy behind that kernel is one of them.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 16, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't run hacked kernels unless you're ok with whomever made them(NSA) possibly owning your device & all data that passes through it.

They can spy on my Final Fantasy data all they want.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crimson Harvest posted:

They can spy on my Final Fantasy data all they want.
They probably care more about the websites you visit, your passwords, login cookies, contacts, sms and phone calls.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Try clearing the cache and app data for the Play Store, and maybe for Play Services. Helps sometimes.

This sort of helps? I can get the Play store to browse and such but any time I try to install something, it hangs for a while, and then nothing happens. I'll keep tinkering with it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Crimson Harvest posted:

This sort of helps? I can get the Play store to browse and such but any time I try to install something, it hangs for a while, and then nothing happens. I'll keep tinkering with it.

The other thing I've done is uninstall all Play Store updates. When it updated again after that, it was fine.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

G-Prime posted:

The other thing I've done is uninstall all Play Store updates. When it updated again after that, it was fine.

This doesn't seem possible through the normal interface for doing things? I'm not super fluent in Android use but I was not able to do anything with the Play Store entry in Applications except clear the cache. Can I get in and delete the files manually?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It should look something like this:

Just tap 'Uninstall updates'

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Picked up a Nexus 6 while they were on sale so I could stay off contract if a Project Fi invite every materializes in my inbox.

It's unlocked, but I've gathered that's not referring to the bootloader. So I need to unlock the bootloader, root it, and THEN install LightFlow (Paid)?

I just want my drat LED notifications. I'd like to reverse the order of the Nav bar too, and maybe add a button to the recents to close all and long press it for App Options, but I don't know if there's an easy way to do this.

I'd like to avoid running a custom recovery since I don't think it will allow Project Fi network switching to work really easily, but who knows.

Any advice?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My advice is to not do any of those things and just use your phone as intended.

You want LightFlow, but it already has built-in active notifications.
You want to reverse the order of the buttons, what are you, left handed?
You want an easily accessible task manager, but you don't need to manually close apps because android is better at memory management that you are.
You want an easier way to get to the page where you clear cache, disable, and uninstall apps, but maybe you only think you want that because you're used to dealing with broken poo poo?

Is it worth it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The built-in active notifications don't use the LED, right? That's really the big thing. I'm not super concerned about any of the other stuff, but it's irritating that the LED is there, just unusable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

The built-in active notifications don't use the LED, right? That's really the big thing. I'm not super concerned about any of the other stuff, but it's irritating that the LED is there, just unusable.

Correct, they don't. I used to love the glowing trackball on the nexus one, but Active Notifications is really good. Admittedly it's much better on the Moto X family of phones, but it still might be good enough for you. Have you spend much time with it? It could save you a lot of headache if you get used to it.

Also, I'm genuinely curious about wanting to reverse the row of buttons. Are you left handed, or just used to a different phone where they were laid out that way? It would make a lot of sense for google to include a "left handed mode".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I came from using a Note 2 since launch, so I'm used to hitting back with my right thumb. I'm already adjusting, but all my other devices are still Samsung and still have the placement there.

I've spent no time with active notifications, so I don't really know what functionality it brings. I assume it's enabled by default on this device? I haven't messed with much root or anything beyond flashing a new ROM for the last year or so because I didn't have the time to devote to learning enough about what was going on in the background to make sure I could fix anything that may go wrong.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

I came from using a Note 2 since launch, so I'm used to hitting back with my right thumb. I'm already adjusting, but all my other devices are still Samsung and still have the placement there.

I've spent no time with active notifications, so I don't really know what functionality it brings. I assume it's enabled by default on this device? I haven't messed with much root or anything beyond flashing a new ROM for the last year or so because I didn't have the time to devote to learning enough about what was going on in the background to make sure I could fix anything that may go wrong.

Ugh, switching phones is such a pain in the rear end when the button layout changes. Been there, you'll get through it.

The notification thing should be enabled by default. Send yourself an email from a different device to test it out. The notification should show on the screen in a super low power mode, and you can jump straight into the app from there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maybe you could try getting used to it instead of modifying it right off the bat. When you get a new car do you replace the stalks and dash controls to make them work like your old one?

No Butt Stuff posted:

to make sure I could fix anything that may go wrong.
You don't need to. Just use it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

butt dickus posted:

Maybe you could try getting used to it instead of modifying it right off the bat. When you get a new car do you replace the stalks and dash controls to make them work like your old one?

He's more just asking how to adjust the mirrors, and get the seat in the right position.

How come people in this thread hate that people might just want to adjust the stupid buttons Android comes with? I feel like if there's anything you're going to do if you root, that's like the least ridiculous tweak ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mogomra posted:

He's more just asking how to adjust the mirrors, and get the seat in the right position.
Those are both manufacturer-approved modifications and wouldn't require root.