Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Smoke posted:

Looks like Samsung's got a nasty issue going on here. An exploit allowing basically full system access via an MitM-attack through a security vulnerability in the keyboard, with over 600 million devices possibly affected.

There are more details here including a list of potentially affected devices.

I'm fairly sure my old S3 Mini also uses the same Samsung keyboard, but it's not listed so either I'm wrong or it doesn't affect that version(or it's just too old to even care about)

I might be mistaken but I think the S3 keyboard was powered by Swype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Smoke posted:

Looks like Samsung's got a nasty issue going on here. An exploit allowing basically full system access via an MitM-attack through a security vulnerability in the keyboard, with over 600 million devices possibly affected.

I'm fairly sure my old S3 Mini also uses the same Samsung keyboard, but it's not listed so either I'm wrong or it doesn't affect that version(or it's just too old to even care about)

Why do people keep trusting OEMs to make software?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Smoke posted:

I hope Desk Lamp has a Galaxy :allears:

Desk Lamp posted:

It's 2015, people should stop obsessing over updates and realize their phone works just fine already . Just use your phone and one day be surprised by the notification to update.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Remember when Motorola blocked people from being able to effectively use 911 by not letting the operator hear you lol.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Why do people keep trusting OEMs to make software?

Yeah, Google and Apple always make the most secure and bug free software...

At least in Apples case there's a reasonable possibility of getting software updates out to everyone. In Android land carriers can barely be bothered to permit major OS updates for devices older than a year...devices a couple years old aren't ever going to get a security update.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Remember when Motorola blocked people from being able to effectively use 911 by not letting the operator hear you lol.
I think you mean
"Remember when Motorola blocked people who had PIN-encrypted their phones and turned them off and forgotten the PIN from being able to effectively use 911 by not letting the operator hear you lol."

Anyway. Can't Samsung just issue a keyboard update through the Play Store?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, Google and Apple always make the most secure and bug free software...

At least in Apples case there's a reasonable possibility of getting software updates out to everyone. In Android land carriers can barely be bothered to permit major OS updates for devices older than a year...devices a couple years old aren't ever going to get a security update.

You're right, let me try that again.

Why do people keep trusting software from companies that have a significant barrier to provide updates, even including security patches? Buying carrier branded phones is not a smart idea.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's almost like there are a long list of factors considered when somebody chooses which phone to buy, only a subset of which are used by each person, combined with incomplete information.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Anyone know how I can get a bluetooth output and headphone output to play at the same time on Android? Specifically Nexus 5 if it matters. Every search on the internet just brings up random forum bullshit.

I have a hearing aid in one ear and I recently got a cochlear implant in second ear. The implant came with a bluetooth phone clip streaming device. I originally listened to music to my hearing aid with the headphone socket on my phone and I want to listen to music through headphone and bluetooth simultaneously (so I use hearing aid and implant at same time). However the software or whatever is making it mutually exclusive, bluetooth output or headphone output, never both.

This seems like something that should have an easy enough software solution or app, but I can't find anything at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

butt dickus posted:

I think you mean
"Remember when Motorola blocked people who had PIN-encrypted their phones and turned them off and forgotten the PIN from being able to effectively use 911 by not letting the operator hear you lol."

Anyway. Can't Samsung just issue a keyboard update through the Play Store?

I thought the whole point of the emergency 911 button on the PIN screen was so you didn't have to enter your PIN in to dial 911.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I thought the whole point of the emergency 911 button on the PIN screen was so you didn't have to enter your PIN in to dial 911.
That one still worked. The problem was if you had encrypted your phone and hadn't entered the encryption pin after booting up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

butt dickus posted:

I think you mean

A similar number of stars have to align for this exploit. You have to be on a rogue wifi network that's already been setup to man in the middle your traffic. Your keyboard must then also download a dictionary update during that time. The person that's setting up attack must then intercept the dictionary update and substitute it with a compromised one with their own code injected.

The effects of this exploit are serious, but it's also very unlikely that anyone outside of a lab would be hit with it. It's also swiftkey that made the offending software, not Samsung.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ihmemies posted:

So Samsung S6 Active looks pretty good specs-wise, and despite looking awful, I'm seriously considering buying one. Basically it should be an S6 in a less fragile package and an extra 1000mAh battery capacity to last through a day easily. Am I missing anything here?

How are the active phones in the past as far as updates.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bull3964 posted:

It's also swiftkey that made the offending software, not Samsung.

Yeah but only SwiftKey on Samsung phones is affected so I guess Samsung hosed it up somehow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bronin posted:

Yeah but only SwiftKey on Samsung phones is affected so I guess Samsung hosed it up somehow.

Or swiftkey made a fork for Samsung OEM devices and hosed it up somehow. There's really no way to know for sure.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

How are the active phones in the past as far as updates.

Pretty sure a poster here had issues after deliberately dunking their Active into water. Dunno if that was resolved.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A similar number of stars have to align for this exploit.
One of them happens out of the box with no user intervention and the other happens after a user has made a specific change and done something unusual with the hardware. The latter was fixed quickly, the other has been a problem for years.

bull3964 posted:

Or swiftkey made a fork for Samsung OEM devices and hosed it up somehow. There's really no way to know for sure.
From the article it's both:

quote:

The bug has its origins in the software developer kit provided by SwiftKey, but it also involves the way Samsung implemented it in its Galaxy series of phones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Samsung issue is nowhere near as bad as that one the S3 had where in order to make the camera work, Samsung's engineers just said "eh gently caress it we'll just make an entry in /dev mapped to kernel memory and give it world read/write permissions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I picked up a BLU Studio X PLUS or something like that and I really like the interface but I feel like the lack of RAM is holding it back (only 1 gb) so I'm tempted to return it and get the Moto X that's on sale but I'm concerned about only having 16 GB of storage and no micro sd card port. Had anyone who has this phone run into issues with lack of storage?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nocal posted:

Pretty sure a poster here had issues after deliberately dunking their Active into water. Dunno if that was resolved.

The first active had a snap on back for lol waterproofing. The new one should be better since its sealed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nocal posted:

He had issues because there was water in the headphone jack screwing with the headphones. I think it was decided there's no good way around that waterproofing or not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have an original three year old Galaxy Note and it's a pretty durable phone. It looks really beaten up because I somehow end up dropping my phones all the time. My earlier Nokias lasted well too, and I'm afraid to buy these aluminium & glass phones because I'd surely break them.

Some guy dropped the S6 Active a few times and seems it held up the abuse quite well: https://youtu.be/NCi2NNYXxKQ?t=3m12s

I don't really need the water resistance but I guess it's nice, just in case. No idea about software. Samsung may or may not update it, but not getting Android M would be really lovely.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Ev posted:

I picked up a BLU Studio X PLUS or something like that and I really like the interface but I feel like the lack of RAM is holding it back (only 1 gb) so I'm tempted to return it and get the Moto X that's on sale but I'm concerned about only having 16 GB of storage and no micro sd card port. Had anyone who has this phone run into issues with lack of storage?

Holy run on sentence. It totally depends on how much you store locally. If you store a lot of photos and music you'll probably run into space issues. If not, you may be able to get by.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

Anyone else experiencing Fit battery drain?

Starting 2 days ago, my Z2 ( 5.0.2 ) which would normally has 18-24 hours battery life, is now draining in less than 6 hours. The culprit is Google Fit by a 20% margin, but no amount of cache clearing/app re-installing/device rebooting has stopped it. I could disable it when the screen is off (stamina mode) but I've never had an issue with it before and generally want it on to track me.

I'm not sure if the app itself was updated 2 days ago but I don't think so because it's not in the "recently updated" section.

It's just weird because I haven't done anything specific with Fit, so I don't know why all of a sudden it's draining battery.

I think my boss is experiencing this (we each have a Moto X pure (2014) running 5.0). Not happening on mine.

No ideas how to fix it though, sorry.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Holy run on sentence. It totally depends on how much you store locally. If you store a lot of photos and music you'll probably run into space issues. If not, you may be able to get by.

English degree failed me there.... All my music is in the cloud so it'd just be apps and pictures but I sync photos with my computer pretty often...

Guess I'll have to give it a bit more thought. Thanks for the reply though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Xachariah posted:

Anyone know how I can get a bluetooth output and headphone output to play at the same time on Android? Specifically Nexus 5 if it matters. Every search on the internet just brings up random forum bullshit.

I have a hearing aid in one ear and I recently got a cochlear implant in second ear. The implant came with a bluetooth phone clip streaming device. I originally listened to music to my hearing aid with the headphone socket on my phone and I want to listen to music through headphone and bluetooth simultaneously (so I use hearing aid and implant at same time). However the software or whatever is making it mutually exclusive, bluetooth output or headphone output, never both.

This seems like something that should have an easy enough software solution or app, but I can't find anything at all.

It also seems like something that would be subject to significant audio synch issues even in a best case scenario. I don't know if it'd be worth doing even were it possible. (99% sure it's not possible)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm sure that's preferred over someone just outright bolting for the door. It may seem weird but I've seen people steal dummy phones and poo poo like that.

They have unsecured PCs, graphics cards, stereo systems, and other high-dollar items. I thought compared to that, someone talking with an employee, giving them a good look at their face and clothes, and then bolting with a solid hunk of plastic wouldn't even register as a risk. I would have even given them my ID if they had asked.

If someone was willing to buy a phone off of craigslist without even making sure it would turn on, they kind of brought it on themselves if it's a fake.

FAUXTON posted:

If the X 2014 is too bulky for you there may truly not be a smartphone small enough.

The 2014 is 10% taller than the 2013, z1c, and z3c, as well as all the iPhones except the plus. There are a bunch of Nokias as well, but screw having a windows phone.

It just occurred to me this morning that I used to have a case on this phone, so 5.5" might actually work. I'll measure it with the case at home. That would make everything a lot simpler.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Merkinman posted:

I hope Desk Lamp has a Galaxy :allears:

I sure do. That post was about people going apeshit over the Lollipop update from Motorola. My Maxx works just fine without it and there's nothing in Lollipop that will fundamentally change that so I'm in no rush, let the update come when it does. If it weren't coming at all it would be different of course.

Security patches are a whole different story though. According to the article Samsung issued a fix months ago which unsurprisingly carriers haven't rolled out.

My phones aren't on that list, I did get a security update back in April that could've been it but who knows. That said even if my phone is vulnerable I won't really worry, as far as vulnerabilities go this one's extremely unlikely to affect anybody.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They dont want to open a new phone if you arn't going to buy it and its too much of a hassle to unlock the demo phone probably

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

According to the article Samsung issued a fix months ago which unsurprisingly carriers haven't rolled out.

Ugh, this should really trouble people. Carriers are preventing your phone from being secure.

RZA Encryption posted:

Buying carrier branded phones is not a smart idea.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

Ugh, this should really trouble people. Carriers are preventing your phone from being secure.

Tell that to your mom or dad who are used to subsidized phones. It won't go over well.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Tell that to your mom or dad who are used to subsidized phones. It won't go over well.

Buy your parents phones for them. My mom loves her 2013 Moto X.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"You pay more for the phone upfront, but save money over the course of the contract. See, here's the numbers."

"Cool, thanks for saving us money, you're a wonderful son/daughter."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I buy my parents $20 tmobile flip phones

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So goons, my family has a Verizon contract that's up for upgrade some time next month. What 'free' phone should I recommend? Droid Turbos for all?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They have unsecured PCs, graphics cards, stereo systems, and other high-dollar items.

I didn't realize they made PC sized jort pockets

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

People shoplift TVs, laptops, and power tools all the time, hth.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

"You pay more for the phone upfront, but save money over the course of the contract. See, here's the numbers."

"Cool, thanks for saving us money, you're a wonderful son/daughter."

Don't they usually just amortize the cost of the phone over the length of the contract now? There's not even much advantage to just buying it outright anymore other than avoiding sticker shock (and making it look impossible or illegal to bring or secure a non-carrier phone, which may be illegal and are probably crappy enough to be but lol at regulating corporations in America I guess).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 17, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Don't they usually just amortize the cost of the phone over the length of the contract now?

That's all it ever was, they're just upfront about it now.

Part of it has to do with support. You have an issue with your phone that you bought at a carrier store, you take it into the carrier store and they resolve it for you. Your google bought Nexus 6 shits the bed, you better hope you have a spare phone to use while Google ships you a new device.

Selection is also slimmer. You can usually get carrier unlocked flagships, but if you can't afford one, it's harder to get.

Also, people don't know what the hell they are doing and need to be pointed to a phone by a salesperson.

These are all reasons why the current situation exist. A lot of them would be resolved by manufacturers opening up their own stores. I just had a fantastic experience with Microsoft. My SP3 was having an issue with the LCD and even though I had owned it for 11 months and originally bought it at best buy, they swapped it out at the Microsoft store in the mall no questions asked with a new unit. Currently, only Apple can supply that kind of post sales support in phones. Samsung is trying with their Best Buy stores, but I don't know much about how they handle their customers to know if they are really successful.

Really, carriers just need to get out of the hardware business altogether. You don't walk into a Comcast location and buy a TV to watch your programming on, there's really no reason why the same should be happening with phones right now. It's a holdover of a legacy sales model before cell phones were commodity electronics and it's also being driven by carriers wanting to minimize the friction people have with service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The price was the same for an ATT Next plan vs buying it outright. Pretty sure the other plans like Verizon's Edge program work the same way.