Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Nice the OP doesn't have anything for newbies at all.

Nobody plays on any start dates other than 1444. For starters here's a list of descending difficulties of the starter nations to play:
Portugal - Super easy. Ally Castile and you can do whatever you want. Bully North Africa (and fail??) sure why not. Colonize. Trade in Asia.
Castile - Easy. Unite Iberia including Portugal. If you skipped playing Portugal then you can try out colonizing and trading for the first time. If you already played Portugal then you can also try getting involved with european politics and european continental warfare for the first time.
Ottoman - Not as easy but still easy. Unlike Castile you have multiple fronts. You also got enough troops and provinces to go whereever you want. Learn about Aggressive Expansion. Learn about dealing with wrong culture wrong religion provinces. Expanding to Africa and Asia is the easy path. Expanding to Europe is the hard path.
England - Normal. Unite the british isles. Deal with France wanting her cores back. Deal with the war of roses. The difficulty of England is mainly in the first 50~100ish years, after you stabilize the game becomes easy like Castile. You can colonize, trade, throw your face deep into european stuff, whatever you want.
France - Hard. England and Burgundy will fight you sooner than later. Maybe Austia even has you as a rival (in that case just restart). You have multiple fronts but unlike Ottoman some of your neighbors are very hostile towards you. If you haven't tried fighting the HRE before you going to learn about fighting them here.

If you want more of a challenge Poland is absolutely amazing this patch, but it's probably not for novices as they're going to run into either the HRE, Russia, Sweden or the Ottomans and if you don't manage them properly (i.e. neuter at least one) when they gang up on you it's game over.

I've got a game going and I'm absurdly huge and it's not even 1700 yet. I accomplished this by making best friends with Austria and Brandenburg, ditching Brandenburg for France and beating up Muscovy until Perm of all countries ate it. I'm working now on beating up Sweden/Ottomans when I'm not aggressively teching for the "Poland Can Into Space" achievement.

Just make sure if you do Poland you take Danzig as fast as humanly possible for the free westernization decision. The first 5-10 years can be hard but it's so rewarding. Having the ability to integrate Lithuania for free is amazing. If you play your cards right you can be the undisputed toughest country out there by mid-game, meaning it's pretty easy to have a successful game if you're completely new. Plus, as long as Austria stays Emperor you can probably avoid the HRE hating you by making friends early on.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

axeil posted:

If you want more of a challenge Poland is absolutely amazing this patch,

Just make sure if you do Poland you take Danzig as fast as humanly possible for the free westernization decision. The first 5-10 years can be hard but it's so rewarding. Having the ability to integrate Lithuania for free is amazing. If you play your cards right you can be the undisputed toughest country out there by mid-game, meaning it's pretty easy to have a successful game if you're completely new. Plus, as long as Austria stays Emperor you can probably avoid the HRE hating you by making friends early on.

Any advice for those first 5 to 10 years?

Also when was the free westernization decision added? I don't remember seeing that. How does it work?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
New to Common Sense. Eastern and Ottoman tech states can become Western for free by holding Danzig, Prague, or Vienna with no separatism.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

If people want stuff in the OP etc. just tell me and I'll put it in.

I'll need to add in those map mods. Are they Ironman compatible still?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

vyelkin posted:

Can't wait to build a university :getin:

How'd you get that land reform modifier?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

RabidWeasel posted:

How'd you get that land reform modifier?

I think it's one of the ideas you can choose for custom nations.

Speaking of which, how many points do people like to use for their custom nations? I can do fine with the default 200, but I find 250-300 more fun, especially if I'm doing something gimmicky.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tercio posted:

Hoo boy! That's way too many dumb babbys looking to be coddled.

Joking aside, I don't understand the negative response in the least.

Without looking at the reviews I guarantee people are complaining about forts. Definitely hard to get used to when certain ways of playing are so ingrained you do them without a second thought. I don't mind forts and I'm enjoying feeling like a noob again, but I understand the kneejerk.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tercio posted:

Hoo boy! That's way too many dumb babbys looking to be coddled.

Joking aside, I don't understand the negative response in the least.

Babbys who don't like having to change their gameplay style, babbys who are effected by bugs and who don't like that and babbys who don't like the idea of something that slows their expansion down.

I think that's the jist of it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Schlesische posted:

Babbys who don't like having to change their gameplay style, babbys who are effected by bugs and who don't like that and babbys who don't like the idea of something that slows their expansion down.

I think that's the jist of it.

I just checked, and a lot of the complaints are people saying the AI doesn't is struggling with the new mechanics, making the game even easier.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I cringe whenever people say babby. It sounds so pathetic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Upgrading your republic from a kingdom to an empire makes you go from Grand Republic to Great Republic.. Wouldn't you say that "grand" is better than "great"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
As someone who's played like 90% of my UE4 games as Muscovy/Russia until recently, I'd be super down to have some kind of tiered or categorized list of recommended/easy/fun/interesting countries in the OP.

Also if anyone's looking for a good beginner country that actually has stuff to do in the first 50 years, then try Muscovy. Its opening is practically set up like a tutorial on How To War. You get 3 vassals, a relatively weak Novgorod next to you, and a decision that gives you claims on all their land. From there you can poke your nose into Europe if Lithuania gets weakened, mess around with the hordes below you and clean up after they weaken each other, or stay out of everything, build up the Novgorod trade node, and just expand/colonize into Siberia and reap the manpower from the dozens of free (crappy) provinces while getting some decent money out of the occasional gold producing ones.

It usually ends up being a really nice mix of always having short term goals to aim towards (which is nice when you're just starting out) and having opportunities just kind of fall into your lap. Between the Scandinavian countries and their shaky situation, the giant crosshair on Poland/Lithuania, and the hordes below you constantly trying to take each other out, you're bound to stumble into a situation where suddenly one of your neighbors is very broke, has no army, and suddenly has no capable allies.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I can understand the ai problem as they do struggle with the new forts. However it has made very funny and dynamic maps. Which balances it out for me

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I wouldn't recommend Castile or Portugal for a new player. Colonizing is boring if it's all you're doing and expanding in Iberia is going to be hard if you're new (as Castile you'll have to beat Aragon+Portugal, as Portugal you might have to deal with a large PU). There's also France I guess since they're weaker this patch, but it seems like a lot more things can go wrong there.

Ottomans, England or Muscovy sound about right. You get a clear set of objectives, plenty of ways to expand and a bunch of weak neighbors to pick on and get larger before you tackle bigger threats.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Quick question before I do something potentially stupid: can I give provinces to a vassal I am currently annexing in a peace deal?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Quick question before I do something potentially stupid: can I give provinces to a vassal I am currently annexing in a peace deal?

Yes, it will increase the point cost for annexation, and if he doesn't core them before you annex him you'll not get cores on those, even though you paid the diplo point price.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yes, it will add on the cost to diplo-annex the new provinces to the running total that you're currently paying off.

e: That'll teach me to not refresh the page before I post :argh:

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

VDay posted:

As someone who's played like 90% of my UE4 games as Muscovy/Russia until recently, I'd be super down to have some kind of tiered or categorized list of recommended/easy/fun/interesting countries in the OP.

Also if anyone's looking for a good beginner country that actually has stuff to do in the first 50 years, then try Muscovy. Its opening is practically set up like a tutorial on How To War. You get 3 vassals, a relatively weak Novgorod next to you, and a decision that gives you claims on all their land. From there you can poke your nose into Europe if Lithuania gets weakened, mess around with the hordes below you and clean up after they weaken each other, or stay out of everything, build up the Novgorod trade node, and just expand/colonize into Siberia and reap the manpower from the dozens of free (crappy) provinces while getting some decent money out of the occasional gold producing ones.

It usually ends up being a really nice mix of always having short term goals to aim towards (which is nice when you're just starting out) and having opportunities just kind of fall into your lap. Between the Scandinavian countries and their shaky situation, the giant crosshair on Poland/Lithuania, and the hordes below you constantly trying to take each other out, you're bound to stumble into a situation where suddenly one of your neighbors is very broke, has no army, and suddenly has no capable allies.

Yeah Muscovy/Russia is great, even easier than Ottomans IMO. You don't have to worry about navies and you can beat up on weaker nations to your east and south. Also less of a chance of Europe getting pissed at you it seems.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

Yes, it will increase the point cost for annexation, and if he doesn't core them before you annex him you'll not get cores on those, even though you paid the diplo point price.

Yeah I remembered the core thing and decided against it since my vassal was on 98% annexation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh for the love of... Can we please NOT have the color for uncolonized provinces be a valid option for colonial nations? This is just retarded, I can't even see the drat thing.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 17, 2015

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
Is there something wrong with army tradition since common sense? I have 7 after 160 years.I can barely ever recall having below 20 or 30 in the worst cases when I played before.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Donald Duck posted:

Is there something wrong with army tradition since common sense? I have 7 after 160 years.I can barely ever recall having below 20 or 30 in the worst cases when I played before.

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get AT. I guess it's intended as a buff to Defensive, Quality and Aristocratic? If you go for the usual Quantity and Offensive combo your AT is going to be terrible for centuries.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 17, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

axeil posted:

If you want more of a challenge Poland is absolutely amazing this patch, but it's probably not for novices as they're going to run into either the HRE, Russia, Sweden or the Ottomans and if you don't manage them properly (i.e. neuter at least one) when they gang up on you it's game over.

I've got a game going and I'm absurdly huge and it's not even 1700 yet. I accomplished this by making best friends with Austria and Brandenburg, ditching Brandenburg for France and beating up Muscovy until Perm of all countries ate it. I'm working now on beating up Sweden/Ottomans when I'm not aggressively teching for the "Poland Can Into Space" achievement.

Can confirm this, playing Poland for the first time and it's amazing because you can quickly become massive but history is just constantly conspiring against you so that you can never feel entirely secure. I'm also trying to fight the ottomans at the moment but they are completely solid.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is it better to say you points for tech advances as the main priority is it okay to blow them on stability increases, harsh treatment, inflation reduction, and now even more so development?

My problem is I always love playing a short game (family commitments and available time), so it kind of informs my play style as being super short term (and often super stupid). It's kind of hard to get myself out of that mentality. Also the fact that I don't think I'll ever figure out trade helps. Lol

Oh regarding MP considering how long a regular solo game takes...how do people even run a full game and how does the while pauseable real time work?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

alcaras posted:

Any advice for those first 5 to 10 years?

Also when was the free westernization decision added? I don't remember seeing that. How does it work?

1. Set focus to Admin because you need +1 stability to get the PU with Lithuania and 100 diplo. The 100 diplo is easy but a negative stab event makes getting to +1 impossible
2. Once you have 100 diplo and +1 stab immediately hit the PU Lithuania button (note: this must be done before the event that gives you the Sejm or the PU will be impossible)
3. While this is going on take the mission to protect the Polish people in the Teutonic Order, or if you're lucky the mission that gives you claims on the Prussian parts. Alternatively, fabricate a claim.
4. As soon as you have the PU, declare war on TO and take as much as you can, but make sure you at least take Danzig.
5. With the TO placed in check you should have enough breathing room. Make sure you eliminate them ASAP though because they're very tough if you let them live.

gfanikf posted:

So is it better to say you points for tech advances as the main priority is it okay to blow them on stability increases, harsh treatment, inflation reduction, and now even more so development?

My problem is I always love playing a short game (family commitments and available time), so it kind of informs my play style as being super short term (and often super stupid). It's kind of hard to get myself out of that mentality. Also the fact that I don't think I'll ever figure out trade helps. Lol

Oh regarding MP considering how long a regular solo game takes...how do people even run a full game and how does the while pauseable real time work?

Only tech up once you've got a 5% or 10% discount unless it's either one of the Admin levels that gives an idea or a Mil level that gives a major boost to your army if you're about to be at war.

It usually takes a few weeks to get through a full game, I usually just play in little bits here and there. Playing on Ironman is really helpful because it can give an overall goal for the run so I'm not just aimlessly blobbing.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 17, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

gfanikf posted:

I'm sure someone better than me can go into this but here's my take:

- Stability: you probably want to keep it at 0 or higher, but otherwise try to avoid spending points if possible. There's a bunch of event that can raise it anyway.

- Harsh treatment: it can be useful but it's almost always a waste. There's plenty of ways to handle unrest without using it (let the rebels pop and then murder them, raise autonomy, hire an unrest advisor, raise your stability if you have to).

- Inflation reduction: if this is a problem you're probably swimming in gold so maybe just take economic ideas and get the -inflation reduction advisor if you can. Same as stability, it's ok to buy it but you should try to avoid it.

-War exhaustion: it's cheap enough and diplo points aren't as important, go for it if it's a serious problem and you can't just end the war. Mercenaries help you prevent it, though.

- Development: no clue :v: I usually only bother with it if I'm western and I'm already ahead of time on a tech and I have no ideas to spend those points on.

So in short, they all have their uses but it's better to avoid spending those points if you can.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

axeil posted:

1. Set focus to Admin because you need +1 stability to get the PU with Lithuania and 100 diplo. The 100 diplo is easy but a negative stab event makes getting to +1 impossible
2. Once you have 100 diplo and +1 stab immediately hit the PU Lithuania button (note: this must be done before the event that gives you the Sejm or the PU will be impossible)
3. While this is going on take the mission to protect the Polish people in the Teutonic Order, or if you're lucky the mission that gives you claims on the Prussian parts. Alternatively, fabricate a claim.
4. As soon as you have the PU, declare war on TO and take as much as you can, but make sure you at least take Danzig.
5. With the TO placed in check you should have enough breathing room. Make sure you eliminate them ASAP though because they're very tough if you let them live.

Only tech up once you've got a 5% or 10% discount unless it's either one of the Admin levels that gives an idea or a Mil level that gives a major boost to your army if you're about to be at war.

It usually takes a few weeks to get through a full game, I usually just play in little bits here and there. Playing on Ironman is really helpful because it can give an overall goal for the run so I'm not just aimlessly blobbing.

You can get another mission to take Danzig and Western Focus requires Admin 10 anyway

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

You can get another mission to take Danzig and Western Focus requires Admin 10 anyway

You also need Danzig to have no separatism and it's better to take it early to help hurt the TO, but yes you're right.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

axeil posted:

You also need Danzig to have no separatism and it's better to take it early to help hurt the TO, but yes you're right.

It's also good to take Danzig Gdansk early so that you isolate TO from Pomerania (HRE).

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I cringe whenever people say babby. It sounds so pathetic.

Me too!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post446391901

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is this sycophancy or what? I don't understand the point.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Elman posted:

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get AT. I guess it's intended as a buff to Defensive, Quality and Aristocratic? If you go for the usual Quantity and Offensive combo your AT is going to be terrible for centuries.

Whaaat? Army tradition was already a pain in the rear end to get to reasonable levels where you could actually get good generals before (unless you were Prussia or one of those countries with -0.5-1.0% army tradition decay). Since generals and discipline seem to be the biggest defining factor for battles and AT was already loving hard to get before, this sucks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone else getting a CTD on a Mac when they try to load a saved game while already in a game? Is this a stealth nerf to savescumming?????

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone else getting a CTD on a Mac when they try to load a saved game while already in a game? Is this a stealth nerf to savescumming?????

I'm on PC and this happens all the time, it's been a problem since release. I generally go back to the menu to load a game to avoid it.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is this sycophancy or what? I don't understand the point.

My post pointing out the reviews was quoting Wiz's use of the word "babby" - a word which I find equally irritating.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

gfanikf posted:

You just don't pause. Theoretically anyone can click that button but it's considered a dick move. Basically you play on Speed 2/3 the entire time, pausing only to let people's connections catch up or to let new players find their bearings at the start of a session. Running a full game takes some patience, but we're one session off of finishing our Goon MP game (1787)!

As always, anyone interested can either hop in as a sub or wait for our next fresh start (where we'll finally start using Common Sense).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tercio posted:

My post pointing out the reviews was quoting Wiz's use of the word "babby" - a word which I find equally irritating.

Ah OK, I misunderstood.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm on PC and this happens all the time, it's been a problem since release. I generally go back to the menu to load a game to avoid it.

I sometimes also get CTDs when resigning a game and going back to the main menu. Thankfully, once loaded into memory, the game loads much faster than the first time.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Obliterati posted:

You just don't pause. Theoretically anyone can click that button but it's considered a dick move. Basically you play on Speed 2/3 the entire time, pausing only to let people's connections catch up or to let new players find their bearings at the start of a session. Running a full game takes some patience, but we're one session off of finishing our Goon MP game (1787)!

As always, anyone interested can either hop in as a sub or wait for our next fresh start (where we'll finally start using Common Sense).

It would be awesome to play an MP game of EUIV, but honestly, I don't know how I would break myself of slapping the spacebar every time I had a popup. I'd have to disable the thing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Giggle Goose posted:

I'd have to disable the thing or something.

Good news, they do it for you. Pause break still works though, but when I play with friends pausing is inevitable and you just have to be patient. Honestly I can't imagine an EU4 game without a few pauses even in MP, so get your neghole ready if you want to play online.

• Locked thread