Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, Confirmed Bachelor was that perk whose icon was a Vault Boy dude with a knife and a sleeping Vault Boy dude. That was in the very post claiming it "wasn't in the game". It looks like it's in the game to me.

That's Mr. Sandman, the perk that allows you to assassinate sleeping NPC's while making no noise and not alerting people nearby.

vs.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ah okay, I was on my phone.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Holy poo poo. I never really even tried rampaging on Skyrim, is ANYONE killable?
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Essential_NPCs

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

sout posted:

Holy poo poo. I never really even tried rampaging on Skyrim, is ANYONE killable?

One of the first things I did in Skyrim was try to end the Civil war by killing the lead rebel dude, he fell to his knees then got back up I was severely disappointed.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

Almost none of the villager NPCs are killable, even ones that you'd have a genuinely good reason to kill, like the drunk who constantly insults you or the theif that tells you to crash a ship and kill everyone on board. It's ridiculous, especially for a lot of quests where if you're trying to play as a heroic character or something, and you get stuck with a quest where a guy is ordering telling you to do some pretty horrible things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I cheated to make Dogmeat invincible in FO3 anyway so thanks for saving me a line of console commands Bethesda.

quote:

In fact no animals will die in the game, making deathclaws a new kind of hard.

The final boss will be a single mole rat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you had to cheat to make dogmeat invincible in fo3? he was already a loving tank.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Volkerball posted:

you had to cheat to make dogmeat invincible in fo3? he was already a loving tank.

Every now and then he'd wind up dead somehow and I got tired of hitting quickload. That was before Broken Steel though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sout posted:

Only generic monsters and NPCs who have no quest at all attached to them. Even the NPCs who you're suppose to kill in their ascociated quest (for example the Civil War leaders), are only killable once the quest allows it.

Volkerball posted:

If I recall right, Broken Steel really boosted companions' level scaling. Before that DLC he could quite easily die at high levels.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sout posted:

I remember recently I got to the Paarthuax quest where you are tasked by the Blades to kill the character in question and I wanted to make very clearly to them that I was now their enemy and then I couldn't kill them as they were needed later in the plot.

Hugely disappointing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i really wanted to massacre the blades bad

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Early in the game one of your biggest challenges will be the player character's inability to let you kill anything organic, no matter how much you or other lives may depend on it, because out of all the homicidal kill-bots in Fallout you, unfortunately, are the one that follows Asimov's Laws and OCP'sThe Institute's Directives to the letter. You can eventually hack yourself to be just as cruel as a human, but it takes high science grinding and a few specific missions to get there.

How close to the release date will we likely have to wait before we hear PC specs? As bad as buying new can be, I'm honestly more worried about Todd trying to do another GWFL or thinking about pushing Win 8-10 exclusivity at this point than if my current rig can't run the highest settings or how bugged this will really be.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

sout posted:

OH HEY BUDDY WHAT'S GOING ON?

This could be scripted but if this is something that happens if you get too close to a deathclaw I'm just happy not to see a "MASH X" prompted on the screen.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Almost none of the villager NPCs are killable, even ones that you'd have a genuinely good reason to kill, like the drunk who constantly insults you or the theif that tells you to crash a ship and kill everyone on board. It's ridiculous, especially for a lot of quests where if you're trying to play as a heroic character or something, and you get stuck with a quest where a guy is ordering telling you to do some pretty horrible things.

Any of the Jarls will piss you off enough to make you want to kill them depending on how you're playing things. The last thing I did in Skyrim before putting it down basically forever was stand in the Maraketh (?) great hall and pound that dickhead Jarl and his lovely thane into the dirt over and over again while the entire town population of generic guards stormed in and got turned into a ragdoll sandbag wall around us by the soul-sucking mace of the Daedric lord I'd found in a nearby house.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Finding your lovely dad who abandoned you is a compelling character hook, but "Find the person who shot you and took your stuff" isn't?

I find it amusing that you think that a package (that isn't even yours to begin with) worth 250 caps is as much of a compelling reason to hunt a man down as 'he is your last surviving family and because of him you got kicked out of your childhood home and sanctuary so you have to track him down to find out why'

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

I find it amusing that you think that a package (that isn't even yours to begin with) worth 250 caps is as much of a compelling reason to hunt a man down as 'he is your last surviving family and because of him you got kicked out of your childhood home and sanctuary so you have to track him down to find out why'
yeah they were both real bad plot hooks, shame in one case everything after that was utterly pointless and inconsequential and everyone ended up fighting over a lovely water fountain

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought the point of gimmicks was to make low-effort shitposts, not post paragraph after paragraph about how loving retarded you are :raise:
MisterBibs is a special boy

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

everyone ended up fighting over a lovely water fountain

this could apply to both

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

this could apply to both
one water fountain also had the biggest power generator in the setting so it's relatively pimped out. also electricity is a Big Deal

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

one water fountain also had the biggest power generator in the setting so it's relatively pimped out. also electricity is a Big Deal

I know, just a dumb observation. Do they say where everyone gets their purified water in Fallout 3 before Broken Steel?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

You are forced into the track of "you are a watcher" regardless of any other choices, no blank canvas there.

That happens during the game, though, and it's pretty much stated that anyone can become a Watcher.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

I know, just a dumb observation. Do they say where everyone gets their purified water in Fallout 3 before Broken Steel?
Fridges.

I'm not kidding, every renewable source of water comes from fridges idiots shoot each other over

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

one water fountain also had the biggest power generator in the setting so it's relatively pimped out

Keep in mind that in the capitol wasteland, 99% of the water is irradiated. The clean water is delegated almost exclusively for drinking as a result. This means that every single man, woman, and child in the game has likely less than one bath/shower per month, depending upon how often they visit a doctor to get rid of their radiation.

Honestly removing the stench of the unwashed (literally) masses is more than enough justification for the player to turn on the purifier. Especially in a tightly-packed claustrophobic place like Rivet City.

sout posted:

A single Mr Handy robot can produce 1 bottle of purified water from condensation in a single day. There's a small scale water purifier in Megaton as well but it's in constant need of repair (To the point where the caretaker of it cannot leave it alone for a single day to repair pipes around town) and from in-game dialog seems barely adequate for the number of people in the town. Presumably there are other small-scale water purifiers scattered around, as well as containers that were protected from contamination in fridges or boxes or whatnot.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sout posted:

Either they don't or by using extremely lovely and worn down Not-Brita filters that get you a glass or two a day according to Eden.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope Fallout 4 makes use of the Charles River as a breeding ground for horribly mutant creatures, but I guess that the game is going for a fantasy setting, not reality.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

Keep in mind that in the capitol wasteland, 99% of the water is irradiated. The clean water is delegated almost exclusively for drinking as a result. This means that every single man, woman, and child in the game has likely less than one bath/shower per month, depending upon how often they visit a doctor to get rid of their radiation.

Honestly removing the stench of the unwashed (literally) masses is more than enough justification for the player to turn on the purifier. Especially in a tightly-packed claustrophobic place like Rivet City.
If only Michael Kirkbride was at Bethesda to bestow this amount of detail into Fallout 3 instead of expect us to take the entire game at face value, which is something bethesda has been doing since Oblivion.

Basically that's all that's missing from Bethesda really. Some ubersperg who's there to make sure all the plot holes and inconsistencies are filled in. Dude fixed up the Daggerfall clusterfuck in the best way possible. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bicyclops posted:

I hope Fallout 4 makes use of the Charles River as a breeding ground for horribly mutant creatures, but I guess that the game is going for a fantasy setting, not reality.

The DC metro is uncanny in how realistic and lifelike it is, down to the fires and mutants everywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, but for no personal gain or benefit whatsoever, and you still basically play a good guy up until that exact moment. It would be like if at the end of Die Hard John McClane just decided to shoot all the survivors after beating the bad guys. It's dumb and basically nonsensical.

You do?

I mean, you have two broad options, fix the purifier, or don't. If you don't, you don't do the plot, the game doesn't progress because the plot doesn't happen, everything is centered around the purifier so if it stays broken nothing happens.

If you do fix the purifier you can do so for whatever reason you want. You need your dad to do it because he built it, and you need the geck because that's apparently required to make it work, so you have to go fetch both of those things, but otherwise your motivation is your own. Maybe you just want to not live in a shithole full of radioactive water, maybe you might want to plan to take over once it starts working or something, it never comes up because the enclave show up.

Your character isn't any more good than you want them to be, other than you have to be sort of basically polite enough to your dad to have a conversation with him because you need him to fix the purifier.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If only Michael Kirkbride was at Bethesda

I was never his biggest fan but he went so far off the rails after he left Bethesda that I wouldn't want him back. I would, however, want someone else to step into his position as loremaster (NO GODDAMNIT I DIDN'T MEAN YOU LAWRENCE SHICK GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE) for both TES and Fallout to take the pre-Oblivion Kirkbride position.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

sout posted:

I wanna say they at least made a token effort to show that the bigger settlements like Megaton, Rivet City and Tenpenny Tower had some kind of small-scale water purification thing going on. You even fix the lovely, leaky one in Megaton I think, though the others all just seem to exist offscreen.

The fridge stocked with purified water was just a one-off event, which also makes no sense because it's humans vs. ghouls and ghouls suffer no ill effects from drinking irradiated water and oh God it's the ending all over again nngggghhhh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

I was never his biggest fan but he went so far off the rails after he left Bethesda that I wouldn't want him back. I would, however, want someone else to step into his position as loremaster (NO GODDAMNIT I DIDN'T MEAN YOU LAWRENCE SHICK GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE) for both TES and Fallout to take the pre-Oblivion Kirkbride position.
The biggest tragedy of Kirkbride was that he never bothered to be medicated

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The DC metro is uncanny in how realistic and lifelike it is, down to the fires and mutants everywhere.

Like, people on the Fallout wiki and imgur have been drawing these detailed maps of Boston to indicate where everything is located and how much of the city and surrounding area are included, and I'm sure it's more effort than the people making the game are going to have put into it (and I don't blame them), but I kind of hope they did put that much effort in, because playing in post-apocalyptic version of the streets I've been walking like every day of my entire life will be really, really cool.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The biggest tragedy of Kirkbride was that he never bothered to be medicated

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Kirkbride has some really good ideas that would work well in the series. But what he desperately, desperately needs is an editor who can rein him in when he starts going off the rails and can keep him focused on a single task as well as keep his general level of batshit insanity as minimal as possible. Also he needs to loving get over Vivec. We get it, he made a rather interesting original character, he doesn't need to fixate on his precious hermaphrodite mary sue anymore.

I'd give you 10 to 1 odds if he was put in charge of Fallout lore he'd try to work Vivec into it in some way, shape, or form. Why? Because CHIM, gently caress you.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Kirkbride has some really good ideas that would work well in the series. But what he desperately, desperately needs is an editor who can rein him in when he starts going off the rails and can keep him focused on a single task as well as keep his general level of batshit insanity as minimal as possible. Also he needs to loving get over Vivec. We get it, he made a rather interesting original character, he doesn't need to fixate on his precious hermaphrodite mary sue anymore.

I'd give you 10 to 1 odds if he was put in charge of Fallout lore he'd try to work Vivec into it in some way, shape, or form. Why? Because CHIM, gently caress you.
I'd actually enjoy that because Vivec is by far the funniest loving poo poo in the Elder Scrolls series and the last thing Bethesda games need is for them to take themselves seriously all the time.

And considering all of his crazier poo poo is written inside of notes and books I'm not sure you have to worry about it being taken as true fact other than the ramblings of a crazy man writing poo poo in notepads in bathroom stalls, what Kirkbride is likely doing in real life now

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There are going to be aliens that make funny noises in Fallout 4

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd actually enjoy that because Vivec is by far the funniest loving poo poo in the Elder Scrolls series and the last thing Bethesda games need is for them to take themselves seriously all the time.

And considering all of his crazier poo poo is written inside of notes and books I'm not sure you have to worry about it being taken as true fact.

I don't take it as true fact, problem I find is that the other TES fanboys masturbate furiously over his every word which makes it difficult to have a discussion about him without someone jumping down my throat for not worshipping every single letter he's ever put to paper.

Anyway. Back to fallout discussion.

A lot of the time I see people who dislike the theme-park style events that happen in the games; such as the liberty prime sequence, or the battle for the dam, or any other heavily scripted sequence. The problem I have with that is that I haven't seen any games with AI sufficiently advanced to produce amazing battles, encounters, events, and so on with any regular frequency. I've seen it happen a couple times in other games where something completely unscripted but amazing happened but it usually happens almost by accident.

Given that, I genuinely like heavily scripted encounters and events to occur because they tend to break up the monotony of venturing out into the wastes, getting into a few small fights, scavenging for supplies, and heading back. I enjoy those wasteland outings but the change in pace between scavenging runs and scripted events is nice to keep the game from getting too monotonous.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Can't speak for those people, but my problem isn't with theme park "events" inasmuch as the theme park environment, where you have themed areas that have no connection to each other and never seem to really interact or mesh together. You can have setpieces (like the New Vegas vaults like Vault 11, or Black Rock Mountain and the super mutant nature preserve) in a cohesive world, but when it gets to the point where that's all it is it sort of takes you out of the game.

Skyrim's world was a little bit better about that, so I at least have some faith that the world of Fallout 4 will all fit together too. The stuff they've shown us so far looks really good, better than I was expecting, so I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I wonder how southies will be portrayed/represented.

I imagine foul-mouthed mutants but from what I understand Bethesda doesn't want to rip directly from reality.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there anywhere to talk about Fallout Shelter? This game is really hard.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

Is there anywhere to talk about Fallout Shelter? This game is really hard.

Should someone make a Fallout Shelter thread? Enough people have asked if there was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

That happens during the game, though, and it's pretty much stated that anyone can become a Watcher.

Yeah and the point is you don't have a choice. Pillars of Eternity is an RPG about being a watcher.

In the same vein Fallout 4 might be an RPG about being a person with a family.

Why is one of these a bigger deal than the other?

• Locked thread