Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Aesis posted:

Good luck turning bow to multiple (minimum 3) bombers approaching from multiple directions :psyduck: I don't know why you think people are too dumb to turn their bows into torp bombers in advance, let alone assume torp squads will be stacked up tbh.

Also turning bow to torp bombers mean you're just making them approach you faster, which means less time to shoot down planes and less time for them to get into release position. And since there was no time to react once torpedoes were released manually so close to you, even criss cross attacks had no difficulty hitting almost all torps. And even when assuming at least half missed from 3 squads that's still minimum 6 torpedoes to account for (assuming your team managed to shoot down 1 squad fast, which is far too optimistic tbh), which will still wreck almost everything apart from maybe Tier 10 BB that got lucky.

Had maxed NY/NM/CO and have maxed NC, in all cases AA was next to useless against multiple squads. Worked somewhat ok against single squad though :v:

Actually, most people do not turn their bow towards the torpedo bombers. Experience has taught me that in maybe 80% of cases, people will turn away from them, which is the wrong thing to do. If you turn towards them, you might get less time for your AA to shoot at them, but the odds are that you will be too close for the torpedoes to detonate when only a few of them hit you. You will force the player to either waste most of his torpedoes, or have to adjust his manual release to compensate.

If you turn away from them, you give more time for those torpedoes to arm. You will also be following their path and exposing your entire broadside, allowing all of them to smash into you.

Believe me, the proper way to avoid torpedo bombers is to turn into them. Its incredibly frustrating for us carrier players when people do it. But be my guess, and keep turning away from them, you are just making it easier for us.

Also, you may have been unlucky or something, because most carriers won't bother to crisscross. Its time consuming and ultimately needless. We've already established that most people either do not turn, or turn the wrong way. Planes travel so freakin' slow, that any amount of time saved is incredibly valuable. I can't speak for others, but I only crisscross against a player who has already made me waste 1 torpedo load, or one who seems like he's starting to dodge before the planes even get there. Crisscrossing is only worth it against good players, which thankfully, there isnt too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Only bad luck I had was facing that Hakuryu player three times in a row with NC :psyduck:

But yeah if they're on manual run then they'll have to adjust unless they expected you to turn towards the bombers which seems to be very rare case. tbh I turn away when using cruiser/DD because I can turn fast and want to have more chance with AA, and it works as long as they're not criss crossing. But with BB I try to turn into them or keep at acute angle so I can run into torps or go through the gap.

Also I thought you could designate auto drop from different directions. At least that looked like the case with dive bombers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skoots posted:

If you cant kill a battleships in a carrier your an idiot.
Right now it seems like japs are better because they have are more flexible with their higher squad count. They also benefit more from the tier five captain skill.

There are a lot of idiots in this game. I've spent a lot of time dodging torpedo spreads by a gnat's whisker, but the difference between a bad carrier pilot and a good one is super obvious, because a good carrier pilot will lay those things down right next to you and you'll have no chance to dodge.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aesis posted:

Only bad luck I had was facing that Hakuryu player three times in a row with NC :psyduck:

But yeah if they're on manual run then they'll have to adjust unless they expected you to turn towards the bombers which seems to be very rare case. tbh I turn away when using cruiser/DD because I can turn fast and want to have more chance with AA, and it works as long as they're not criss crossing. But with BB I try to turn into them or keep at acute angle so I can run into torps or go through the gap.

Also I thought you could designate auto drop from different directions. At least that looked like the case with dive bombers.

Seeing the same guy in more than one consecutive battle is a function of the very small player pool, particularly at the bottom and top ends of the tiers. Only time and the open beta phase will tell if the player pool will grow or if it will stagnate and die. My prediction is that it will grow modestly because the game is good, but very niche.

As Kesper pointed out it's the good carrier drivers you have to watch out for and they're few and far between.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Free NA closed beta key. F93KD-R6G7S-HY4KE-GBR6B

Have fun with it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gegil posted:

Free NA closed beta key. F93KD-R6G7S-HY4KE-GBR6B

Have fun with it.

Used, thanks a bunch!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
How do you do manual torp launch? Is that meaning just changing the direction the plane comes in from or do you mean something else?

Also holy poo poo Atlanta. I nearly broke 300 hits in a game recently. This thing just shits out hits, I can basically grind all my credit needs forever with it. Too bad I'm always primaried and die instantly because everything out ranges me.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leif. posted:

How do you do manual torp launch? Is that meaning just changing the direction the plane comes in from or do you mean something else?

Also holy poo poo Atlanta. I nearly broke 300 hits in a game recently. This thing just shits out hits, I can basically grind all my credit needs forever with it. Too bad I'm always primaried and die instantly because everything out ranges me.

Holding ALT when you have a dive or torpedo squadron selected lets you manually set their attack run. That said, it's currently been nerfed into virtual ineffectiveness by WG at the moment.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Lord Koth posted:

Holding ALT when you have a dive or torpedo squadron selected lets you manually set their attack run. That said, it's currently been nerfed into virtual ineffectiveness by WG at the moment.

Howso? Arming distances?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just started playing, going down american cruisers. Got the st louis, holy gently caress its pretty, then upgraded the guns and I get 2 more on the side?! Jesus this thing is amazing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leif. posted:

Howso? Arming distances?

Basically allows you to freely move around the aiming circle and drop area as you like. You could do a drop in the middle of empty water if you wanted to.

Obviously, this also results in being far more likely to bounce duds off someone's hull due to the torps not arming yet until you get a feel for where exactly the torpedoes arm once they've been dropped. It use to be that you could drop them much closer to a ship and in a tighter spread than using manual, which is why it was so lethal, but they removed the tightening of the spread along with making spreads larger anyways which has resulted in carriers other than T9-10 IJN ones basically sucking.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

Basically allows you to freely move around the aiming circle and drop area as you like. You could do a drop in the middle of empty water if you wanted to.

Obviously, this also results in being far more likely to bounce duds off someone's hull due to the torps not arming yet until you get a feel for where exactly the torpedoes arm once they've been dropped. It use to be that you could drop them much closer to a ship and in a tighter spread than using manual, which is why it was so lethal, but they removed the tightening of the spread along with making spreads larger anyways which has resulted in carriers other than T9-10 IJN ones basically sucking.

They've also made it so you can't just drop them in close, they have to make a straight line attack run from the edge of the circle like dive bombers, so if they're already inside the circle they have to fly back out again, which means the lead time you have give your target when aiming makes it a trivial affair to dodge them, like trying to dunk a destroyer at 20km with battleship guns

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Aesis posted:

Good luck turning bow to multiple (minimum 3) bombers approaching from multiple directions :psyduck: I don't know why you think people are too dumb to turn their bows into torp bombers in advance, let alone assume torp squads will be stacked up tbh.

You can focus your AA on one squad and turn into another. If there are more than two, you can turn midway between the squads you aren't AAing and dodge them fairly reliably unless they're almost perfectly synchronized. Even if the carrier does everything right, you can, even alone, more or less nullify two angles of attack.
And eating one or two aerial torpedoes is really not a disaster for a battleship. You even have repairs. Especially if you adjust to minimize damage from the hits that do occur, you can come out of a multi direction attack with one or two cruiser salvos worth of damage. The carrier lost planes doing it, too, and has a reload measured in minutes.

If a battleship goes down to one aircraft wave, it's either a very inattentive driver or a combined attack from multiple equal or greater tier carriers in anti-ship configurations. I don't even play carriers but it's loving absurd to expect a battleship to go half a game against multiple competent equal tier carriers, loaded with attack aircraft and focusing the battleship, without taking significant damage.

NTRabbit is usually wrong and this is no exception, but people have this weird obsession with comparing carriers to artillery. Almost none of the bad things about artillery are true of carriers.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009
Free NA Beta Key: F93KM-PZNPT-F47VH-SY5F6

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
$1 delivered me 1000 tokens, 7 days of premium, and a crappy Russian cruiser.

I wanted the ship slots. I was not in alpha, I didn't get anything other than the Grem pre-order pack. Not working as intended?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

jownzy posted:

I wanted the ship slots. I was not in alpha, I didn't get anything other than the Grem pre-order pack. Not working as intended?

It looks like the slots overlap with the ones the spaceship event gave.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
And the Murmansk is not crappy. The Omaha is a terrific ship that is even better with 8km torpedoes. :getin:

Here's another NA beta key:
F93K3-ZA82E-T5WBZ-MTRCN

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You'll have to excuse me if this sounds retarded, as I've never actually played World of Tanks or Planes for more than an hour.

But what the gently caress does a premium ship do. My only experience with something similar is War Thunder but this Russian ship doesn't have a corresponding tree to it so I'm confused. Does it accumulate experience that I can use for Japan/USA or is it just for grinding money?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bolow posted:

You'll have to excuse me if this sounds retarded, as I've never actually played World of Tanks or Planes for more than an hour.

But what the gently caress does a premium ship do. My only experience with something similar is War Thunder but this Russian ship doesn't have a corresponding tree to it so I'm confused. Does it accumulate experience that I can use for Japan/USA or is it just for grinding money?

Currently you can use it for grinding out Money & Free xp or Russian Crews. Since the Russian tree is entirely premium ships currently, the crew grinding is not worth doing.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The free ship slots don't overlap with the april fools' laser botes. I straight up didn't get any and I didn't have beta access during laser botes. I'm guessing they changed ship slots to 1k tokens.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

xthetenth posted:

It looks like the slots overlap with the ones the spaceship event gave.

Wasn't present for spaceship event?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

jownzy posted:

Wasn't present for spaceship event?

Weird. Hopefully you'll get them when it goes open beta then.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

jownzy posted:

Can you stack these codes? I 25k gold for 25 bucks is a pretty good deal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pretty sure you cant stack.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I'm guessing they changed ship slots to 1k tokens.

It's possible they aren't able to reimburse the free slots after the wipe, so turned it into tokens they can reimburse instead - pretty sure they never promised we could keep those space ship event slots

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

The advertisement said it included the CL, 7 days of premium, 5 slots, AND 1000 tokens.

For a dollar well worth it, but I think they've messed something up.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
They changed the description.

quote:

With this closed beta access code, you receive an exclusive invitation to play World of Warships, as well as a Tier V Russian Cruiser Murmansk with a single port slot, 7 days of Premium game time, and 1,000 Tokens. (Note: All progress made during the World of Warships Closed Beta Test will be wiped at the start of Open Beta -- date to be determined).
e: Original description was Murmansk + 5 slots + 7 days prem + 1k Tokens, so only port slot changed.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The big question will be if you keep the gold the Murmansk is worth, or if you'll keep it if you already had a Murmansk.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
They said that you'll get the Murmansk back after the wipe. If you already had a Murmansk and entered a code, you'll get the Murmansk from the code plus the gold cost since they are refunding purchased tokens spent before the wipe.

Edit:
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/32639-e3-humble-bundle-murmansk-faq/

quote:

Ahoy Captains! There seems to be some questions around the Murmansk code from the Humble Bundle:

"Will I get to keep the Murmansk from the Humble Bundle when World of Warships goes to Open Beta?"

"I bought the Murmansk during CBT, then bought the Humble Bundle. Will I get to keep the Murmansk, and get my tokens refunded?"

The answer to both of these questions is yes. If you purchase a Humble Bundle with the Murmansk code, you will keep the ship after OBT. If you bought a Murmansk for tokens during CBT, remember that your tokens get reimbursed as doubloons at the start of Open Beta. If you get the Murmansk from the Humble Bundle, then your tokens you spent on the CBT will be refunded, and the code for the Murmansk will carry over.

Hope that solves your questions!

grrarg fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 18, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I guess that means I'll be starting WoWS with 90 days of premium and about 12k in 'doubloons.'

Seeing as I'm pretty sure most of them will be going to gold-retrain crews once I get to T5+, I guess that's a good thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 18, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Rampaging about in Pensacola wrecking havoc, then getting shotgunned by BBs at 10 km and watching my ship lose 13k hp from 1 shell that somehow managed to land on steer, because apparently it went through to citadel for crit hit. Happened with 5 other shells over the span of 3 games :argh:

One question is, does gun caliber make a big difference on crit chance when you penetrate citadel? I was shooting Colorado at 5~10 km range hitting its citadels, but apart from default penetration damage I wasn't getting a single crit. I basically pumped about 50 shells into its citadel (they penetrated) and got absolutely no crit. Was doing around 5k damage per salvo though. I was with Cleveland and he managed to do similar damage with HE per salvo so I'm wondering if I should just give up shooting AP against BB.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Aesis posted:

Rampaging about in Pensacola wrecking havoc, then getting shotgunned by BBs at 10 km and watching my ship lose 13k hp from 1 shell that somehow managed to land on steer, because apparently it went through to citadel for crit hit. Happened with 5 other shells over the span of 3 games :argh:

One question is, does gun caliber make a big difference on crit chance when you penetrate citadel? I was shooting Colorado at 5~10 km range hitting its citadels, but apart from default penetration damage I wasn't getting a single crit. I basically pumped about 50 shells into its citadel (they penetrated) and got absolutely no crit. Was doing around 5k damage per salvo though. I was with Cleveland and he managed to do similar damage with HE per salvo so I'm wondering if I should just give up shooting AP against BB.

You are literally not penetrating hard enough. :dong: The vitals are behind more walls than just the one on the surface that gives you the penetration notice.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You are literally not penetrating hard enough. :dong: The vitals are behind more walls than just the one on the surface that gives you the penetration notice.
Oh yeah I totally forgot about that :cripes:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
3.1.5 notes are up. Taiho and Hakuryu are coming.

quote:

Update 0.3.1.5 Notes
•Tier IX and tier X (Taiho and Hakuryu) have been added to the Japanese aircraft carrier tree
•Added Slim Client prototype for player testing
•The Conquest game mode has been temporarily disabled while we enact some improvements
•Increased the defensive power of AA guns over 99mm by 50%
•Decreased the defensive power of AA guns at 40mm
• ◦North Carolina decreased by 50% to 63% depending on configuration
◦Iowa decreased by 50% depending on the configuration
◦Montana decreased by 27.5% depending on configuration
◦Cleveland decreased by 40%, but has its fire support ability is increased from 20 seconds to 40 seconds

•Fixed a bug with the "Pyromaniac" Commander ability
•Fixed a bug causing oddly shaped geometric artifacts to appear on ships
•Increased the amount of time before the battle starts from 15 seconds to 30 seconds
•Fixed the description of the Conquest game mode during the download screen
•Network server settings have been updated, this should reduce lag issues
•Fixed an issue causing a ship to be displayed as "In Battle" after the post battle survey

•Fixed an issue preventing players from being able to press the Join the Battle from the squad screen

quote:

Increased the amount of time before the battle starts from 15 seconds to 30 seconds
Couldn't they have fixed pre-match loading times back to the way they were two months ago instead?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Wait what? Did they just nerf Tier 8~10 US BBs' AA?!

Also good thing Pyromaniac is 'fixed'. poo poo was hilarious setting nonstop fire with Atlanta.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So is Tier 3 cruisers and BB just the infinite pain zone, or what?

Seems like 100% of the time I'm matched with Tier 5 players who outgun and outrange me. Also having no AA to speak of.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Flippycunt posted:

So is Tier 3 cruisers and BB just the infinite pain zone, or what?

Seems like 100% of the time I'm matched with Tier 5 players who outgun and outrange me. Also having no AA to speak of.
It's just like that for all tiers tbh. Even with Tier 4~8 you get matched up to 2 tiers above you, then you suddenly find yourself reduced to shooting HE for puny damage as AP shells won't penetrate, and getting overrun by lots of planes. If you're grinding US battleships and cruisers then you'll just have to endure until you buy North Carolina or Cleveland.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Precious few things can compete with the Cleveland for raw DPM. I'm consistently getting wrecked going up against them, even in Aobas and battleships of both sides. They're a real loving terror.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
RIP Bofors :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

It's going to hurt US destroyer AA capabilities a lot, or do they have dual purpose main armament ?