Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Domestic issues as a way to delay warmongering is a tricky problem to approach. If you get in too deep you're going to end up simulating demographics and elections and political parties and whatnot and that might be a couple of layers too many for the game's subject matter. On the other hand, make it too simple and it's effectively a timer until you get your conquerin' on and that might feel too artificial.

I think they should put in something like a 5-dial setting on "potential ahistoricity" game option, all the way to the right and the AI will always make the historical moves and pick the historical responses to events. All the way to the left and it'll react to the world "as is".

The other thing I kind of felt strongly about from the 3MA podcast was so many countries being locked in to the Allies right from the get go. Some of those were literally still part of the British Empire so it's kinda understandable, but if they want to reinforce the "a grand strategy game that just happens to be set in 1936" approach they really need to think about making the primary alliance a lot more fluid and dynamic.

They made it sound like the Northern bloc and Middle Eastern bloc squading up was the most interesting part of the game. I think having an open alliance mode would be really interesting, especially for multiplayer. Angling for and preparing alliances would make 36-39 much more meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing I kind of felt strongly about from the 3MA podcast was so many countries being locked in to the Allies right from the get go. Some of those were literally still part of the British Empire so it's kinda understandable, but if they want to reinforce the "a grand strategy game that just happens to be set in 1936" approach they really need to think about making the primary alliance a lot more fluid and dynamic.

Who'd they say was in the Allies? Because it starts out as just UK + Commonwealth, and France.

uPen posted:

Same goes for the US, with no fun domestic game to play your pre-war strategy is how do I get involved in a war with Germany as rapidly as possible which is the opposite of what should be happening.

Accurate FDR gameplay :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

Who'd they say was in the Allies? Because it starts out as just UK + Commonwealth, and France.

Australia, which again is mostly understable, although they did say that Russia got the Aussies to 70% communist and it didn't mean anything.

The other pertinent comment was that Germany wanted to join the Norway/Sweden/Finland northern bloc, but Germany is the permanent leader of its own permanent Axis alliance, so no go there either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Darkrenown posted:

"Okay, I really want to help kill Hitler, but the Depression is a bitch and I don't really have casus bel- oh thank you, Hirohito."

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Has anyone tried the Crisis of the Confederation mod for CKII? I was looking at it and it seems like it might be worth giving a try.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Funky Valentine posted:

"Okay, I really want to help kill Hitler, but the Depression is a bitch and I don't really have casus bel- oh thank you, Hirohito."

Never before released footage of FDR and his two secretaries in the morning of December 7th, 1941.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

uPen posted:

Because in typical HOI fashion the pre-war game is boring as gently caress so if your options as a journalist at this event are:
A: Sit on your hands for an hour or two
B: Beat the poo poo out of Germany

You're going to go with B. France starts the game stronger than Germany which is accurate but lacks any motivation to not immediately declare war. Same goes for the US, with no fun domestic game to play your pre-war strategy is how do I get involved in a war with Germany as rapidly as possible which is the opposite of what should be happening.

You'd have to make a domestic sim that would have to stop mattering much after a while and it isn't worth the design bandwidth to do that. As I said before, I think a 1937 start would significantly help the game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Australia, which again is mostly understable, although they did say that Russia got the Aussies to 70% communist and it didn't mean anything.

The other pertinent comment was that Germany wanted to join the Norway/Sweden/Finland northern bloc, but Germany is the permanent leader of its own permanent Axis alliance, so no go there either.

I don't know if they mentioned, but coups were disabled for the MP event since they weren't balanced yet and have fairly drastic consequences.

For Germany, yeah personally I would like them to start out without their empty faction, but it does have some advantages too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAFW2FiML0

Northernlion just posted his version of the preview. Marginally less annoying than quill, I guess? I think the day/night cycle is completely gorgeous, not really jarring at all, but it seems like youtubers have heartburn about that and just about everything else. Then again I've only really played EUIV seriously so I'm pretty filthy and casual!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

Fair enough.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Darkrenown posted:

This could actually work as an idea if you conceive of the "Go to war fast" decisions as choosing to spend political capital on internationalism instead of the (historical) focus on dealing with the depression first. Maybe the aggressive options should give massive penalties to industry and whatever domestic dissent measure the game uses (or rather the non-aggressive options give the bonuses that bring the US to its historic levels) to represent that the country is recovering much slower and without the beginnings of economic improvement supports FDR much less. You can certainly argue the historicity of this, but it allows for a measure of choice that doesn't just force the US to wait for Pearl Harbor while hopefully keeping the balance more intact by making an early-intervening US much weaker. Basically, giving solid reasons for the paths that were historically taken, such as massive bonuses for keeping isolationism even if that's not perfectly historically justifiable, helps fight the advantages of hindsight and makes decisions to vary from the path interesting trade-offs instead of no-brainers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

This could actually work as an idea if you conceive of the "Go to war fast" decisions as choosing to spend political capital on internationalism instead of the (historical) focus on dealing with the depression first. Maybe the aggressive options should give massive penalties to industry and whatever domestic dissent measure the game uses (or rather the non-aggressive options give the bonuses that bring the US to its historic levels) to represent that the country is recovering much slower and without the beginnings of economic improvement supports FDR much less. You can certainly argue the historicity of this, but it allows for a measure of choice that doesn't just force the US to wait for Pearl Harbor while hopefully keeping the balance more intact by making an early-intervening US much weaker. Basically, giving solid reasons for the paths that were historically taken, such as massive bonuses for keeping isolationism even if that's not perfectly historically justifiable, helps fight the advantages of hindsight and makes decisions to vary from the path interesting trade-offs instead of no-brainers.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the best bonuses for isolationism itself would probably be best placed as VPs, which people don't usually care about in Paradox games unless they have an in-game effect.

In TK, for example, the Americans can choose to focus on making a huge land force the way Germany and Russia did but in doing so they lose some industrial power and they also lose some air and naval support pieces.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It is so weird to me that all these previewers are having such difficulty with even the basic concept of HOI4.

"It's nothing like EUIV"

Oh, really?

"It's only ten years long!"

You don't say.

"It's a game about total war"

...I don't really know what else you were expecting from a WWII game?

I guess it just goes to show how much the audience has changed since CK2 came out.

And then there was that guy on the 3MA episode who thought the heavy focus on industrial potential was unsuited for a WWII game. Has this man ever even seen a history on the subject? :psyduck:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

And then there was that guy on the 3MA episode who thought the heavy focus on industrial potential was unsuited for a WWII game. Has this man ever even seen a history on the subject? :psyduck:
"Who cares if they can produce more tanks in a day that we can destroy? It has nothing to do with the subject!" *commit suicide on the eastern front 6 months later*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man every HoI4 video I see just makes me want to play it more. I couldn't stand DH at all, it was just too awful. But HoI4 looks like it's streamlined enough to not be batshit crazy and also has enough automated tools that I won't go insane from trying to manage two different fronts without just pausing every hour.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Does anyone know where HOI3 is pulling its data from now? I've added some static modifiers to the file in the common folder and they're not affecting my game at all, which is frustrating. Podcat's hotfix ended up preventing me from getting all of those CTDs , so I appreciate that. But I was hoping to scratch my WW2 itch with HOI3 and this is just a little annoying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Does anyone know where HOI3 is pulling its data from now? I've added some static modifiers to the file in the common folder and they're not affecting my game at all, which is frustrating. Podcat's hotfix ended up preventing me from getting all of those CTDs , so I appreciate that. But I was hoping to scratch my WW2 itch with HOI3 and this is just a little annoying.

If you're running Their Finest Hour, all the data from that is in a "tfh" subfolder inside the HOI 3 folder.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Prop Wash posted:

Northernlion just posted his version of the preview. Marginally less annoying than quill, I guess? I think the day/night cycle is completely gorgeous, not really jarring at all, but it seems like youtubers have heartburn about that and just about everything else. Then again I've only really played EUIV seriously so I'm pretty filthy and casual!

Might just be me but I found this to be way more annoying than Quill. This guy just rambled and repeated the same things over and over and really didn't describe the game in any sort of detail. The video quality also has issues.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

It could be worse....

Why can't I marry Hitler senpai?!
Help, Mussolini is pregnant with Hirohitos baby after I glitched a same-sex marriage!

I would be amazed if paradox included economic and domestic affairs in a fun way, because you just know someone will argue these weren't important or shouldnt matter. :psyduck:

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're running Their Finest Hour, all the data from that is in a "tfh" subfolder inside the HOI 3 folder.

You are a beautiful genius and I am very grateful to you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Speaking of HOI, HOI3 is on sale at 75% off right now as a flash sale on steam.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sky blue, water wet, but to anyone getting this, get the expansions. The OOB editor is cool, and so are the useless novelty plan overlays.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't buy HoI3.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

I gotta say, HoI 4 looks amazing to me and I never really got into the older ones althought I had 2 a long time ago. The day/night stuff is irritating to me though, it made me a little queasy for some reason. I think the day and night themselves both look gorgeous but transition is too abrupt for me to comfortably look at and it is quite distracting. Will there be a toggle to keep day or night? I do like the look of both but I think I'd prefer to just keep it mostly on one or the other. Switch to night for burning cities and devestation (as awful as that is to say) but keep day for planning and more normal gameplay).

NLJP fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 18, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NLJP posted:

I gotta say, HoI 4 looks amazing to me and I never really got into the older ones althought I had 2 a long time ago. The day/night stuff is irritating to me though, it made me a little queasy for some reason. I think the day and night themselves both look gorgeous but transition is too abrupt for me to comfortably look at and it is quite distracting. Will there be a toggle to keep day or night? I do like the look of both but I think I'd prefer to just keep it mostly on one or the other. Switch to night for burning cities and devestation (as awful as that is to say) but keep day for planning and more normal gameplay).
The solution is to focus on the Arctic during the summer, and the Antarctic during the winter.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The transition looks like a clear work in progress to me. The reflection of the sun as it goes over the Mediterranean is awesome though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It also strikes me as the number one thing you'd look at making toggleable if you wanted to improve performance. I'd be surprised if it couldn't be turned off.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's probably also less distracting when you're not playing at full speed like the people in the streams have been.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just give it a blur effect to make it more gradual.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Bought HOI3 during the steam flash sale. I've played CK2 extensively and completely understand it, but HOI3 seems like such a different animal. Can anyone point me toward a good LP that isn't hosed by being from four years ago? I have all of the expansions.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

TropicalCoke posted:

Bought HOI3 during the steam flash sale. I've played CK2 extensively and completely understand it, but HOI3 seems like such a different animal. Can anyone point me toward a good LP that isn't hosed by being from four years ago? I have all of the expansions.

No one has ever made a full HoI 3 LP because it is, hand to heart, not the best game paradox has ever made. One might even be excused for not even ranking it in the top half.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, you're probably best off digging around the Paradox forums, I don't think there's anything usable here.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I can't find any for EU IV here either, which is strange considering EU3 had a bunch.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It's always seen in mega campaigns, so you wont see a tutorial that often for EUIV. That and they keep changing the gameplay so much between patches that a tutorial LP is only good for a short time.

See: The CKII Tutorial LP, which a lot of the info is useless thanks to changes since.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TropicalCoke posted:

There is a German tutorial LP somewhere on the Paradox forums that taught me all the important things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

There is a German tutorial LP somewhere on the Paradox forums that taught me all the important things.

Oh you mean this video one?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

nope

this one https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/germany-tutorial-take-2.577185/

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Which was written before the latest expansion came out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
EU4 DLC is on steam sale. I haven't been keeping up with it; are any of the recent expansions particularly worth it/not? I have Conquest of Paradise & Wealth of Nations already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Flippycunt posted:

It's probably also less distracting when you're not playing at full speed like the people in the streams have been.
When are you not playing at full speed? Even during wartime a lot can be managed at full or almost-full speed. The only time it made sense to go slower was when things were going badly or you were launching a massive offensive. Even then, it made much more use to just pause the game as needed and carry on at full speed, pausing when you need to again. I would be shocked if it wasn't something one could toggle off, because while it does look neat for a little bit it already began to annoy me half-way through the preview video.

• Locked thread