Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-actors-media-matters

quote:

According to sources: some actors were hired to attend and participate in the event; and, a company called Extra Mile NYC connected Trump’s campaign/event organizers with the paid actors.

I reached out to Extra Mile NYC for comment, but they did not respond.

Trump is the best candidate ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

if trump turns out to be a weeaboo i might just have to vote for him, sorry guys

Did you vote for Herman Cain?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wonder if he could use his billions to pack the debate hall.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I found Newt!

What you thought was coming.....is here now!

http://www.skylinechurch.org/futureconference2015program/

A few pages back, but some small part of me wants this to turn into the church scene from Kingsman so bad

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

I didn't vote in the Republican primary

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Voters who cast their ballots for Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in the last election have a higher opinion of the scandal-plagued Duggar family than of President Barack Obama, according to a poll provided Tuesday to TPM. A survey conducted by the Democratic-leaning firm Public Policy Polling found that 67 percent of respondents who voted for Romney in 2012 said they had a higher opinion of the family made famous by TLC's "19 Kids and Counting." Just 12 percent of Romney voters said they had a higher opinion of the President than the Duggars. By contrast, 87 percent of respondents who voted for Obama in 2012 said they had a higher opinion of the President than the Duggars.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

The excitement never stops.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At this point Forums Poster Josh Lyman could probably pretend to be a political whatsit with a resume consisting of episodes of the TV show and become Trump's campaign manager.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Great_Gerbil posted:

I'm gonna bring this back up because, in my mind, it's far too big to let candidates get away with.

The GOP are the ones putting this in the political realm. Every single bit of this sentence is twisted.

If you want to (as a prolife Catholic like Biden might) state that you disagree with the Church about something, say it. I believe that many Catholics would say they would not personally choose abortion but they won't force that belief on others.

It is not okay to say, "My religion informs me morally but I don't believe morals have any place informing my policy. Especially when it comes to how we treat those in poverty, one of the few issues Jesus was unequivocally clear on."

So, there's definitely a case to be made that Christian ideals of charity and stewardship align pretty well with the left.

This is generally counterweighted by the fact that elements of the left are openly hostile towards religion in general.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carly Fiorina's Super PAC was named "Carly for America", which violates FEC rules.

It has since changed its name to "CARLY for America", which is fine because it means "Conservative, Authentic, Responsive Leadership for You and for America", so it doesn't refer to any particular candidate.

:911:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So, there's definitely a case to be made that Christian ideals of charity and stewardship align pretty well with the left.

This is generally counterweighted by the fact that elements of the left are openly hostile towards religion in general.

Yep, count me in as an active, believing Christian who considers the Republican party wholly incompatible with Christian teachings and values. Jesus was very, VERY clear about charity, stewardship, tolerating and welcoming those from cultures considered unclean by yours, reaching out to the disadvantaged and those ostracized by society, and - this is an important one - that you absolutely should not pray visibly in public or make a big deal about your religion and faith as public statements.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

lol TPM

Though to be fair, the Duggars most likely killed less Americans via drone/kill list than Obama.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

lol TPM

Though to be fair, the Duggars most likely killed less Americans via drone/kill list than Obama.

This is why your lazy gimmick is lazy, man. GOP voters don't have a problem with people getting blown up in the mideast by drones.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

This is why your lazy gimmick is lazy, man. GOP voters don't have a problem with people getting blown up in the mideast by drones.

Most people there, no.

But Americans...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Most people there, no.

But Americans...

Only whites are Americans.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertarians on the right are openly hostile towards religion as well...

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Yep, count me in as an active, believing Christian who considers the Republican party wholly incompatible with Christian teachings and values. Jesus was very, VERY clear about charity, stewardship, tolerating and welcoming those from cultures considered unclean by yours, reaching out to the disadvantaged and those ostracized by society, and - this is an important one - that you absolutely should not pray visibly in public or make a big deal about your religion and faith as public statements.

I guess I'm with you until the last line. Jesus was killed because he literally wouldn't shut up about his faith and how it should be practiced (matthew 6:6 not withstanding)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

Carly Fiorina's Super PAC was named "Carly for America", which violates FEC rules.

It has since changed its name to "CARLY for America", which is fine because it means "Conservative, Authentic, Responsive Leadership for You and for America", so it doesn't refer to any particular candidate.

I really want to believe that you are just loving with us. But you aren't, are you?

What is the point of even having laws at this point when candidates can pull this bullshit.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

I guess I'm with you until the last line. Jesus was killed because he literally wouldn't shut up about his faith and how it should be practiced (matthew 6:6 not withstanding)

You can't just "notwithstanding" Matthew 6:6. The whole point of it, and 6:5 before, is that people who pray openly and make a big show of their faith are not doing it out of piety, but rather to be seen and congratulated, and those people have already received their reward (e.g. the opinion of other people). Jesus insists that faith be a private, personal thing, not one that you use so that other people look at you and are impressed by how much praying you do.

People who display their faith so that other people can applaud them for it are literally called hypocrites. There is a distinction made between living your faith - believing, helping people, standing for what is right even when it's hard - and showboating.

Jesus talked about his faith, not to earn him points in a political campaign, not to impress his neighbors with how pious he was, but to spread the Good Word. I'm not sure how this distinction is eluding you.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

A3th3r posted:

My aunt Carol would get a kick out of this one (aunt-in-law, but who's counting!)
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/2016-election/384828/

"Others still in the mix: ...Harold Stassen..."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The X-man cometh posted:

Herman Cain just wants to be the very best. Like no one ever was.

:allears:

Tell us all about how not hostile the right wing is towards non-Christian religions.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caros posted:

I really want to believe that you are just loving with us. But you aren't, are you?

What is the point of even having laws at this point when candidates can pull this bullshit.

It could be named "Zebras for Family Values"; the name doesn't matter. The real travesty is that these Super PACs are not supposed to be for any particular candidate, but are used exclusively for a particular candidate. If they ever start seriously enforcing these laws, Super PACs should have to spend their money amongst at least two people, equally.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

spacing in vienna posted:

You can't just "notwithstanding" Matthew 6:6. The whole point of it, and 6:5 before, is that people who pray openly and make a big show of their faith are not doing it out of piety, but rather to be seen and congratulated, and those people have already received their reward (e.g. the opinion of other people). Jesus insists that faith be a private, personal thing, not one that you use so that other people look at you and are impressed by how much praying you do.

People who display their faith so that other people can applaud them for it are literally called hypocrites. There is a distinction made between living your faith - believing, helping people, standing for what is right even when it's hard - and showboating.

Jesus talked about his faith, not to earn him points in a political campaign, not to impress his neighbors with how pious he was, but to spread the Good Word. I'm not sure how this distinction is eluding you.

You're flipping back and forth between a literal and interpretive reading of that passage. "Public displays of faith are wrong" and "public displays of faith for self aggrandizement are wrong" are different things.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

:allears:

Tell us all about how not hostile the right wing is towards non-Christian religions.

We uh...

We love us some Jews.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

You're flipping back and forth between a literal and interpretive reading of that passage. "Public displays of faith are wrong" and "public displays of faith for self aggrandizement are wrong" are different things.

I definitely don't want to start up a religion derail, here, but the way the Religious Right operates would violate either of those precepts that you think I'm conflating.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

It should also be noted that the things Jesus wouldn't shut up about painted the Pharisees in a really bad light which lead to them wanting to kill Jesus.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

It may be time to acknowledge that the modern primary system is a complete poo poo-show that's producing demonstrably worse results, and we need to go back to the nominating process being an internal party affair. At the very least, we wouldn't have to put up with campaigning for drat near 2 and a half years.

Motherfucking Donald Trump??? I know it's entertaining and he stands almost no chance of winning, but goddamn son, 'for the lulz' is no way to run a democracy. The last thing we should be doing is giving him a national platform to spew his idiocy.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The GOP brought this on themselves after Obama was elected and they went Full Retard and embraced the TEA Party and Duck Dynasty idiots. I thought we would never beat 2012 but here we are. Donald loving Trump.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/christophermassie/mike-huckabees-weekly-column-lifted-material-from-the-ap-and#.dpz3Aov4b

Mike Huckabee found to have been constantly plagiarizing during his time as Governor, his campaign staff responds by saying that he didn't actually write the columns. Which were written in first person. And signed by him. And opened with the line "Hello, this is Gov. Mike Huckabee" :psyduck:

Although I mean really is anyone taking Huckabee seriously as a candidate besides some fundies even crazier than Santorum?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Family Values posted:

'for the lulz' is no way to run a democracy.
In 1992 the Clinton campaign hired a guy to wear a chicken suit and appear at Bush rallies to ridicule Bush about being too "chicken" to debate Clinton. Once they figured out who he was, he was banned from future rallies, but snuck into at least one additional rally by claiming to be there as a representative/mascot of the local poultry industry to show their support for Bush.

Bush spent the last weeks of the campaign arguing that Clinton can't be trusted to be President because he had gone on a student trip to Moscow in the late 1960s and very well could be a KGB sleeper agent. He made this accusation the centerpiece of his campaign speeches. Reminder: 1992 was three years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and a year after the dissolution of the USSR.

This democracy has been run 'for the lulz' for a very long time.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Joementum posted:

Candidates should just start accepting unlimited direct donations. Worst case they'll get a strongly worded letter that it might possibly be against FEC rules.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

It's not that Jesus "wouldn't shut up" about his faith. Jesus was leading a movement and (if we go by recorded accounts) doing it in a fairly humble manner. Jesus was literally saying, don't pray and preach for self aggrandizement. It's what the passage says.

What Jesus was saying at the time was in the face of the establishment Jewish leaders working with the Romans. Anything subversive was punished. The Jewish leaders no doubt took affront to Jesus's message but the Romans were most likely wholly responsible for his death. All from a historical perspective.

Jesus was killed when he sacked the Temple. Which was a repudiation of impurities in the Jewish religion. Not a statement of religious piety.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Celador posted:

The GOP brought this on themselves after Obama was elected and they went Full Retard and embraced the TEA Party and Duck Dynasty idiots. I thought we would never beat 2012 but here we are. Donald loving Trump.

Bloom County predicted all this back in the '80s.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

How do I get a job with the FEC? That sounds like the most phone-it-in sinecure ever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
IJReview, the conservative site that is to Vines what BuzzFeed is to lists of gifs, will co-host a GOP debate with ABC.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

In 1992 the Clinton campaign hired a guy to wear a chicken suit and appear at Bush rallies to ridicule Bush about being too "chicken" to debate Clinton. Once they figured out who he was, he was banned from future rallies, but snuck into at least one additional rally by claiming to be there as a representative/mascot of the local poultry industry to show their support for Bush.

Bush spent the last weeks of the campaign arguing that Clinton can't be trusted to be President because he had gone on a student trip to Moscow in the late 1960s and very well could be a KGB sleeper agent. He made this accusation the centerpiece of his campaign speeches. Reminder: 1992 was three years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and a year after the dissolution of the USSR.

This democracy has been run 'for the lulz' for a very long time.

1992 was also the year Ross Perot ran and won nearly 20 percent of the vote.

It was... an interesting election year.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Bobby Jindal is running for president in 2016 after making the governorship of Louisiana into a complete CATASTROPHE, guys... I do not know what to think about Bob these days
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/07/us/governors-tactics-at-center-of-louisiana-budget-vortex.html?_r=0

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Great_Gerbil posted:

I'm gonna bring this back up because, in my mind, it's far too big to let candidates get away with.

The GOP are the ones putting this in the political realm. Every single bit of this sentence is twisted.

If you want to (as a prolife Catholic like Biden might) state that you disagree with the Church about something, say it. I believe that many Catholics would say they would not personally choose abortion but they won't force that belief on others.

It is not okay to say, "My religion informs me morally but I don't believe morals have any place informing my policy. Especially when it comes to how we treat those in poverty, one of the few issues Jesus was unequivocally clear on."

I'm thinking we need to send Jeb on a Walk to Canossa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Joementum posted:

IJReview, the conservative site that is to Vines what BuzzFeed is to lists of gifs, will co-host a GOP debate with ABC.

The press is dead. Full out dead.

• Locked thread