Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

zoux posted:

I haven't read them yet but I picked up Thors, Runaways, Squadron Sinister and OML 2 for today. I think the only one I missed was Armor Wars, which I heard was terrible.

There's also Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2. DSSW #1 was decent but I wouldn't make a special trip to the LCS just for DSSW #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Halfway through it and Thors is the most amazing thing ever. Battleworld murder mysteries are the loving coolest.

e: holy poo poo the start of the bar scene

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

El Tortuga posted:

Before reading too much into it, I'd imagine that Cyclops being the Phoenix might not have been a detail given out when this cover was being made probably long before the first Secret Wars issue.

Yeah, I think they might have originally planned to have a Phoenix-powered Teen Jean on the raft with Cyclops playing off her, but decided to just simplify it to a Phoenix-powered Cyclops somewhere along the line.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Thors is hilarious and everything I didn't know I wanted it to be. :doink:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the only Runaway in Runaways is Molly. It's superteen Breakfast Club. It's OK, I expected a little more pop from Stevenson honestly. Oh and Cloak and Dagger are in it but with reversed powersets :monocle:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Nobby posted:

Yeah, I think they might have originally planned to have a Phoenix-powered Teen Jean on the raft with Cyclops playing off her, but decided to just simplify it to a Phoenix-powered Cyclops somewhere along the line.

That doesn't really flow with the only time Cyclops appeared in Hickman's Avengers.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Endless Mike posted:

Haha, not quite.

It's Strange from the Rise of the Midnight Sons era. I know nothing else about him but I'm sure someone here has read that.

It's Dr. Strange who split his powers in two so he wouldn't go nuts, it was stupid and involved him using the "power of the earth" in one of the many attempts to depower Dr. Strange. I believe Ellis killed the split characters on his two issues arc on the book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

That doesn't really flow with the only time Cyclops appeared in Hickman's Avengers.

They probably only gave Ross a list of characters to include on the cover. Then it was probably Phoenix Cyclops and Ross thought it was both. Then for later covers the design probably wasn't ready so he just drew regular Cyclops.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

zoux posted:

So the only Runaway in Runaways is Molly. It's superteen Breakfast Club. It's OK, I expected a little more pop from Stevenson honestly. Oh and Cloak and Dagger are in it but with reversed powersets :monocle:

I actually really enjoyed it. It was an introduction to the universe so I forgive the breakfast club vibe. I loved YA though so I'm hoping this turns out to be similar.

Also I guess this gives a little insight into Doom/Battleword because when they introduce Valeria her last name is Von Doom

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Reed is going to be so pissed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Reed is going to be so pissed

"So Doom is God and you left us buried alive for 3 years. Anything else I should know, Strange?"

"Doom recreated your dead family and made them his own"

And that was the day Reed killed God.

Reed's already pretty loving mad. Can't wait for SW#4 when he (hopefully) finds out just how far Doom went in regards to his family.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

I actually really enjoyed it. It was an introduction to the universe so I forgive the breakfast club vibe. I loved YA though so I'm hoping this turns out to be similar.

Also I guess this gives a little insight into Doom/Battleword because when they introduce Valeria her last name is Von Doom

Yeah it can definitely go places, I'll have to see how the next issue is received before I pick it up though.

As far as the other three I read, OML continues to own, Thors is absolutely fantastic and is nothing like I'd thought it would be and Squadron Sinister was ok, probably would've liked it more if I had any kind of connection to the characters.

Taking all four together, one thing it did was muddy how the inhabitants of Battleworld conceive of their universe. All four deal with inter-realm stuff, and for three of the books it's just a part of the operating paradigm; everyone knows about the multiple realms thing and some of them even know about the multiple versions of the same character thing. But in the fourth, everyone seems to think their realm is the only reality. So apparently some inhabitants know about Battleworld and some don't, and I wonder if there's some narrative purpose to who knows and who doesn't.

Also what continuity is Nutopia?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reed's already pretty loving mad. Can't wait for SW#4 when he (hopefully) finds out just how far Doom went in regards to his family.

Doom just better hope Reed gets to him before Namor does.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blockhouse posted:

finding out from early reviews that Runaways is straight up just every young adult post-apocalyptic novel written in the last three years further vindicates my decision to not read that book

It's...not?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like DSSW, its fun, and I love that Deadpool is totally 80s stud when he's not all cancered up.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Thors:

"I AM THOR!"

:allears:

Dear God-Doom, yes, this book has my heart now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Crusader posted:

SW #7 cover:

Is Doom about to throw a galaxy at them?

LOL at animated Spider-Man and Captain Deathlok with the spiky shield!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
It's so crazy to me that one 200 million dollar movie later, and Star Lord is up there with Spider-Man, Reed, Thor, and all the other top tier Marvel characters.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

It's so crazy to me that one 200 million dollar movie later, and Star Lord is up there with Spider-Man, Reed, Thor, and all the other top tier Marvel characters.

Why is that crazy?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Well I just mean he was a character that wasn't that well-known at all by the mainstream. And of course, with the movie making more money than God, he's going to be given more focus, but it's still crazy considering none of all the Guardians were that well known before the movie, at least outside of the comic fan circles.

edit: I mean, it's not like Star Lord had a pivotal role in previous cross-over events, like House of M, or Civil War.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait for 2023 when Moon Knight is the one to solve the mystery of the big summer event that changes the marvel universe forever

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

sbaldrick posted:

It's Dr. Strange who split his powers in two so he wouldn't go nuts, it was stupid and involved him using the "power of the earth" in one of the many attempts to depower Dr. Strange. I believe Ellis killed the split characters on his two issues arc on the book.

Sorta, Strange, who later became known as Paradox, died off panel in-between David Quinn, who created him, and Ellis' runs. The whole Vincent Stephens/Strange/Salome arc was a terrible idea and was blatantly Marvel attempting to cash in on the whole Image/Spawn craze of the time. It also derailed an interesting Len Kaminski run so that Dr. Strange could join all the 90s heroes who had gone super 90s, much like his Iron Man.

That being said, it's fun that he's being referenced.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can't wait for 2023 when Moon Knight is the one to solve the mystery of the big summer event that changes the marvel universe forever

I predict that on Marvel's quest to take over all mediums (movies, netflix, abc tv) the next avenue will be mature animated movies (like DC's stuff or that old spawn hbo show, or aeon flux). They will start with a Punisher animated thing (cheap hyper action with lots of blood) with Moon Knight as one of the ones slated behind it. This Punisher thing will suck because of course it will, what part of mature animated punisher movie sounds attractive? Because of this they will cancel the plans for a future Moon Knight thing.

This will make me sad, because it will deprive the world of the trippy big budge Moon Knight movie that could be.

And in this Animated Movie future I predict that the other things slated will be Black Widow and Man-Thing. Neither will exist to due to the unmitigated disaster that will be the punisher movie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The whole 'Hey he's 'Ultimate' Thor' was a bit on the nose but otherwise this stupid Thor and Order book is ridiculous. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SynthOrange posted:

The whole 'Hey he's 'Ultimate' Thor' was a bit on the nose but otherwise this stupid Thor and Order book is ridiculous. :allears:

More like Law and Thor-der.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is X-Men '92 just an Infinite Comic? No print?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

irlZaphod posted:

Is X-Men '92 just an Infinite Comic? No print?

Its coming out this month in print, but its going to contain 2 issues of the infinite version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thors was a good book.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

El Tortuga posted:

Well I just mean he was a character that wasn't that well-known at all by the mainstream. And of course, with the movie making more money than God, he's going to be given more focus, but it's still crazy considering none of all the Guardians were that well known before the movie, at least outside of the comic fan circles.

edit: I mean, it's not like Star Lord had a pivotal role in previous cross-over events, like House of M, or Civil War.

Prior to Annihilation and The Thanos maxi-series Starlord's antics weren't even 616 continuity! So he essentially started out as a b-side.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

trashbuilder posted:

I predict that on Marvel's quest to take over all mediums (movies, netflix, abc tv) the next avenue will be mature animated movies (like DC's stuff or that old spawn hbo show, or aeon flux). They will start with a Punisher animated thing (cheap hyper action with lots of blood) with Moon Knight as one of the ones slated behind it. This Punisher thing will suck because of course it will, what part of mature animated punisher movie sounds attractive? Because of this they will cancel the plans for a future Moon Knight thing.

This will make me sad, because it will deprive the world of the trippy big budge Moon Knight movie that could be.

And in this Animated Movie future I predict that the other things slated will be Black Widow and Man-Thing. Neither will exist to due to the unmitigated disaster that will be the punisher movie.

They're actually doing Punisher in season two of Daredevil, sorry.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Buddington posted:

And he's being played by Shane from The Walking Dead. It's going to be :perfect:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not really feeling #2 of OML. A lot happened but a lot of nothing happend?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Old Man Logan and Thors were standouts, Old Man Logan is definitely my favorite of the tie-ins so far.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Buddington posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of a Misty Knight adult animated series done by the Afro Samurai team. Somebody call RZA!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This event and the most of the books coming out of it are really good. Hopefully this will make them think "Hm. You know, maybe we don't need a mainline/continuity universe and character books that just spread out from there, let's have a few core books, and everything else is basically a conceptual elseworlds and it doesn't necessarily have to fit together."

I'm hoping some of this stuff is testing grounds for different types of books than just superhero ones.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

sbaldrick posted:

Strange! (don't forget the exclamation point, the letter never did) didn't get killed, his/it's? essence was sent to help Clea and bonded with a freedom fighter she was falling in love with in a B plot about Dormammu seizing power again. Being a conduit of raw magic power he swiftly conjured a rug and swept himself under it. They never said if he died or not.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 18, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kdrudy posted:

Old Man Logan and Thors were standouts, Old Man Logan is definitely my favorite of the tie-ins so far.

I'm so confused by OML. I assume he climbed the SHIELD wall, but from the looks of it he was at The Deadlands (Marvel Zombie realm) but then Apocalypse showed up so then that would mean he's more than likely in the Domain of Apocalypse? Are their walls between all the realms? In any of the other tie ins (I've read my share of them) have any of the other characters met alternate versions of themselves? (besides Spider-Verse)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some are aware of the duplication, some arent. YMMV.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I'm so confused by OML. I assume he climbed the SHIELD wall, but from the looks of it he was at The Deadlands (Marvel Zombie realm) but then Apocalypse showed up so then that would mean he's more than likely in the Domain of Apocalypse? Are their walls between all the realms? In any of the other tie ins (I've read my share of them) have any of the other characters met alternate versions of themselves? (besides Spider-Verse)

He went from the Wastelands to the Domain of Apocalypse. The wall is just a separator between kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

vegeta dentata posted:

He went from the Wastelands to the Domain of Apocalypse. The wall is just a separator between kingdoms.

Wow, I don't know how but somehow I didn't pick this up. I was confused as hell as to what was going on. I did read it in a hurry. Maybe I should reread it.

• Locked thread