Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
More football on TV is never a bad thing. I personally would support having 65 bowl games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Fundraising for college athletics is a strange, strange land of completely unrealistic perceptions.

Take a stab in your mind at what percentage of football scholarships at Alabama are fully funded.

It's 19%.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

wootmachine posted:

Fundraising for college athletics is a strange, strange land of completely unrealistic perceptions.

Take a stab in your mind at what percentage of football scholarships at Alabama are fully funded.

It's 19%.

That's pretty bad. Tech's is much, much worse. The number of ALL scholarships that are fully endowed at Tech is 13. 14 might happen this year?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

wootmachine posted:

It's 19%.

Put in another indoor waterfall roll tide pawl

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don't see how it will accomplish anything except making the exact same NSD stuff happen earlier.

I think that's a little bit of the point. Get the NSD stuff over with earlier and give yourself a month and some to evaluate what you signed and look for players to fill out the rest.

Helps P5 schools and prospects the most. Mid-majors see some benefit if they can get players who want to sign early (poaching during the season is harder because EVERYONE is busy), but are also hurt because P5 schools will spend the last month offering and recruiting their 2nd options.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yeah. Desmond King too. So two of our three best players last year.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kevonte was pretty rad too

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Early signing days are actually drama-free mostly, even in the more ridiculous realm of basketball. The whole point is to eliminate the pressure for some kids and let them and the programs move on one way or the other and not be screwed on NSD because they got jumpy at the last minute.

Early NSD are nothing but a good thing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Jim Harbaugh posted:

"In my America, you're allowed to cross state borders," Harbaugh said. "That's the America I know."

Ahaha what a shitlord.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Alouicious posted:

C-USA is better than other mid-majors, like the AAC or the Big ten

Still no MAC tho

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Crotch Bat posted:

Ahaha what a shitlord.

This message brought to you by Jim Harbaugh for a Better America

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Kevonte was pretty rad too

He was okay. He has the school record for receptions but that was mostly Rudock and Greg Davis giving him an endless string of 3 yard passes that went nowhere. I don't think he ever cracked 600 yards in a season, it was a bunch of like 10 catch for 40 yards type games. That and the "DJK without the crazy!" hype he got coming in because he was another possession receiver with three names made a lot of people overrate him, but he was generally fine for what he was (and DJK had inflated career stats due to circumstance too so whatever).

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA and UCLA doing a home and home starting in 2025. So far away that either or both schools could be riding a wave or mediocrity by then.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA and UCLA doing a home and home starting in 2025. So far away that either or both schools could be riding a wave or mediocrity by then.

Mark richt is timeless, as are his baffling losses and his 9 to 11 win purgatory. I wonder if Mora will try the NFL again if he does well for a while

God I miss football

Btw, another math book suggestion that's ridiculously cheap: Angus Taylor's general theory of functions and integration.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

KKKLIP ART posted:

As a UCLA fan I don't like to think that far ahead, because anything past the next couple of years includes the possibility that Mora's gone and we're right back to being a perennial 4-8 team.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don't see how it will accomplish anything except making the exact same NSD stuff happen earlier.

From what I've read the major point is that because the new period will be in mid-December, it'll help relieve some pressure from the kids and let them get the whole recruiting circus over with early. Plus it'll annoy the SEC so that's always a plus. Surprised it actually didn't pass, it sounded like there wasn't much opposition apart from the SEC.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
y'all sure are eager to let these kids be rushed with the most important decision ever imo

I dunno. To me it seems like coaches want to be able to get a kid locked up before other programs start looking for their second choices/focusing pressure on them. So it's a good idea if you want parity, bad idea if you want to give the kids as much leverage/opportunities as possible. Here's the scenario I imagine:

Coach Small Program heavily recruits 3 Star. Not having gotten much interest from other schools and flattered by how interested CSP is, 3 Star commits in the early signing period. Later on, Coach Big Program loses a 4-5 star he had prioritized to Rival. CBP looks at his backup plans, re-evaluates 3 Star, decides he's actually a 4 Star and wants to offer him a scholly. Now the recruit is pressured by CSP (and fans/media, who constantly badger guys who switch) to maintain his commitment even though CBP clearly has a better offer. He stays, CSP moves on or is fired after a year or two and 3 Star never gets the kind of development he would have had at Big Program.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raku posted:

He stays, CSP moves on or is fired after a year or two and 3 Star never gets the kind of development he would have had at Big Program.

It could also end with the player going to the bigger program, becoming an afterthought, and rarely seeing the field during his collegiate career.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

y'all sure are eager to let these kids be rushed with the most important decision ever imo

Yep. Recruiting shouldn't be allowed prior to grade 10.

The idea of recruiting 8th graders skeeves me the gently caress out. Seems pedo.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. Recruiting shouldn't be allowed prior to grade 10.

The idea of recruiting 8th graders skeeves me the gently caress out. Seems pedo.

Nick Saban and Les Miles peer into a middle school playground from the bushes. "Look at that bubble butt!" says one to the other. "Nice calves and hand size, too," he says back.

Edit: Maybe Sandusky should have been hit with recruiting violations, maybe then Penn State woulda got the death penalty

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So multiple outlets are reporting that Baylor and a Pac-12 team ('sources' claim it's Cal) are very close to finalizing a season-opening game in 2016 in Australia? Now, I'd be glad to have a vaguely interesting non-con game on BU's schedule so soon, and I get that playing abroad is kind of glamorous and good for the brand...But Australia? Would Cal and BU combined be able to get ten thousand fans down there?

Beats Dubai, I guess.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Joe Paterno is going into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

lmbo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spiritus Nox posted:

So multiple outlets are reporting that Baylor and a Pac-12 team ('sources' claim it's Cal) are very close to finalizing a season-opening game in 2016 in Australia? Now, I'd be glad to have a vaguely interesting non-con game on BU's schedule so soon, and I get that playing abroad is kind of glamorous and good for the brand...But Australia? Would Cal and BU combined be able to get ten thousand fans down there?

Beats Dubai, I guess.

Lol as if Baylor fans weren't already bad enough at traveling.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joe Paterno is going into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

lmbo

This is even more ridiculous.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Spacebump posted:

This is even more ridiculous.

You don't live in Pennsylvania I take it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's just a vocal minority, but a weird type of minority where it's like 95% of the fanbase. Strange.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Raku posted:

I dunno. To me it seems like coaches want to be able to get a kid locked up before other programs start looking for their second choices/focusing pressure on them. So it's a good idea if you want parity, bad idea if you want to give the kids as much leverage/opportunities as possible. Here's the scenario I imagine:

Coach Small Program heavily recruits 3 Star. Not having gotten much interest from other schools and flattered by how interested CSP is, 3 Star commits in the early signing period. Later on, Coach Big Program loses a 4-5 star he had prioritized to Rival. CBP looks at his backup plans, re-evaluates 3 Star, decides he's actually a 4 Star and wants to offer him a scholly. Now the recruit is pressured by CSP (and fans/media, who constantly badger guys who switch) to maintain his commitment even though CBP clearly has a better offer. He stays, CSP moves on or is fired after a year or two and 3 Star never gets the kind of development he would have had at Big Program.

Err, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying... Right now the kid that chose the mid-major would never have the opportunity to play for the P5 because the P5 never has an opportunity to re-evaluate once it missed out on its first choice.

I just really can't wrap my head around what you are arguing for or against...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Lol as if Baylor fans weren't already bad enough at traveling.

Right? Although I've heard it suggested that doing something weird like an overseas game is the only way we'd be able to get a decent opponent on the schedule so quickly, which makes a certain amount of sense to me. I mean, if some decidedly unsexy crowd shots and jetlagged players are the price of getting an entertaining noncon game in less time than it would take me to get a master's degree and somewhat mollifying the talking heads who've been wailing about our schedule, I guess I'm down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Letters of Intent should be abolished (in favor of less restrictive finacial aid agreements), not have their timetable moved up. And I say that as a fan of a team that would almost certainly benefit from an earlier signing period and has had his coach regularly push for it for like 10 years now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 17, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

Letters of Intent should be abolished, not have their timetable moved up. And I say that as a fan of a team that would almost certainly benefit from an earlier signing period and has had his coach regularly push for it for like 10 years now.

I kinda' agree, but I think without some kind of binding document, the booster purse strings would loosen much wider & much more quickly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I kinda' agree, but I think without some kind of binding document, the booster purse strings would loosen much wider & much more quickly.

And Nick Saban would start each fall camp with about 80 incoming freshmen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Finacial aid agreements still lock the school into giving the kid a scholarship, they just let the player change his mind without any dumb restrictions on going somewhere else after he signs it. Any player with the leverage to do so should demand one now. There isn't a NCAA bylaw requiring LOIs, but obviously no coach actually tells his players that.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

And Nick Saban would start each fall camp with about 80 incoming freshmen.

If Saban was allowed to use the recruiting tactics of the Bear he would literally be unbeaten

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Kids getting paid doesn't really bug me tbh

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Spiritus Nox posted:

Beats Dubai, I guess.

I think there would be a bigger draw than you'd think. Not many people specifically going to see Cal and Baylor sure, but more people going to see a live football game. I know if I was still living down there I wouldn't made sure to go to any football game down there, and would drag as many of my Aussie and ex-pat friends with me as possible. Didn't matter if it was something lovely like Buffalo-SDSU I still would've gone and happily flown across that damned country to do so.

The real question is where they would play it. Australia has some great stadiums that would work just fine, but the biggest ones are all ovals which would put you so far back from the action.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

Unilaterally, it doesn't bother me. But using money/gifts to lure kids to one school or another is not even a slippery slope, it's a sheer drop off of a cliff that would ruin the sport.

*disclaimer - This is based on a semi-retarded, "Mad Max"-ian level of surrealism where there was literally nothing binding players and universities until the student-athlete actually stepped foot into class the first time.

Still, even with FA agreements in place, LOI's seem to work in the team's favor since they do "seem" official and, as you said, there's probably no concerted effort to educate high school players that they really don't mean much. If they were to disappear AND high schoolers were educated enough to realize that they have a ton more control over the recruiting process than they exercise currently, the university boosters would start bidding wars probably.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Raku posted:

Early signing days are easier on kids and coaches, how is this not highly obvious already?

And kids already hold as much leverage as humanly possible during the recruiting process. Unless you've got the balls to say it they can more or less boss you around as a coach and have you kissing rear end for anywhere from 6-18+ months of their life. For the truly elite blue chips forget about it, if they wanted to gently caress a coach's wife there's a non-zero portion of them out there that would let them do it just to get their signature.

Basketball has had an early signing period for years now and I don't think you could find something negative written about it or really hear how coaches hate it.

MourningView posted:

Finacial aid agreements still lock the school into giving the kid a scholarship, they just let the player change his mind without any dumb restrictions on going somewhere else after he signs it. Any player with the leverage to do so should demand one now. There isn't a NCAA bylaw requiring LOIs, but obviously no coach actually tells his players that.

Kids almost never get screwed by LOIs unless it's something super suspicious like say someone who wants to leave Auburn to go to Bama or something. The rare amount of times kids want out of their LOI they're almost always given full releases and the few restrictions put in place are usually only to keep them off your future schedules. You're talking like of the >1% of kids who want releases that >1% of them are blocked from going where they want to in the end. It almost never happens that way and I doubt you could probably dig up 5 cases like that in the last 5 years where kids weren't granted releases because they were trying to head to a rival or conference school.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MourningView posted:

Kids getting paid does bug me if it's used in a way that gives some schools recruiting advantages over others. If they do pay players, then every scholarship player in every Division I school should get paid the same amount (maybe adjusted for cost of living). Of course I realize this is impractical but without limits you'd have Bama and Texas buying every 5-star recruit in the country.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

drunk leprechaun posted:

I think there would be a bigger draw than you'd think. Not many people specifically going to see Cal and Baylor sure, but more people going to see a live football game. I know if I was still living down there I wouldn't made sure to go to any football game down there, and would drag as many of my Aussie and ex-pat friends with me as possible. Didn't matter if it was something lovely like Buffalo-SDSU I still would've gone and happily flown across that damned country to do so.

The real question is where they would play it. Australia has some great stadiums that would work just fine, but the biggest ones are all ovals which would put you so far back from the action.

The issue with college football teams playing overseas (or on a goddamn carrier deck) doesn't seem to be one of pure attendance numbers or even money raked in by the respective schools.

The problem is that the majority of fans who do attend home games and sometimes travel for a conference game are deprived of the ability to see that one for whatever year it's scheduled.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The issue with college football teams playing overseas (or on a goddamn carrier deck) doesn't seem to be one of pure attendance numbers or even money raked in by the respective schools.

The problem is that the majority of fans who do attend home games and sometimes travel for a conference game are deprived of the ability to see that one for whatever year it's scheduled.

Oh I get that is an issue, just saying that attendance probably wouldn't be. I can see how both have pluses and minuses, but hey so long as it is a once in a while thing and not done all the time I don't really care. It can be fun for everyone involved. Like a bowl game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
imo don't stop adding bowl games until we get one at Oil Rocks at the very least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lGa-Ow8XE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I enjoy the fiction where recruiting isn't already wildly tilted in favor of like five schools. Yeah man what the hell would we ever do in a world where Alabama, USC, Texas, LSU, and OSU got most of the good players? That would be crazy.

And if even a couple kids get hosed over by the restrictions of a LOI that is more than need to.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread