Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

The 5 window you installed on the dizzy will drive an ms for fuel and spark without the crank trigger (batch fuel, single coil + distributor spark).
You can also run just the 60-2 as a v10 in wasted spark mode and get rid of the dizzy altogether.

Just wondering how you would get an engine to run wasted spark with only 5 plugs? Not trying to sound like an rear end, I am genuinely interested.

Or you could go full on coil near plug. Steal some coils off a GM LS motor and bam! Instant coil near plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You don't, you tell ms that it's a v10 running on wasted spark. It's an old trick that I heard works.

E: see this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=42292

mafoose fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Nice. Make sure to check for run out if they're universal from diyautotune, I bought a few of these about 5 years ago and I had to chuck them up on the lathe and skim the OD because the run out was so bad.

Whyyyy???

The 5 window you installed on the dizzy will drive an ms for fuel and spark without the crank trigger (batch fuel, single coil + distributor spark).
You can also run just the 60-2 as a v10 in wasted spark mode and get rid of the dizzy altogether.
If you use the 60-2 wheel on the crank, you can make the dizzy trigger into a one window for cam sync and have sequential spark and even do coil on plug. Add 3 injector drivers and go full sequential.

You leave so much on the table when you don't do spark control.

Wait, WHAT?!

It WILL?! How? Holy poo poo, if it can, I'd rather just do that! I already ordered the crank trigger, but if I don't even need it to get it running, gently caress it, it can wait.

Do you have a simplified wiring diagram that I can get to show how that would run with just the distributor hall?

mafoose posted:

You don't, you tell ms that it's a v10 running on wasted spark. It's an old trick that I heard works.

E: see this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=42292

Holy crap! This simplifies a lot!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just wondering how you would get an engine to run wasted spark with only 5 plugs? Not trying to sound like an rear end, I am genuinely interested.

Or you could go full on coil near plug. Steal some coils off a GM LS motor and bam! Instant coil near plug.

You'd go with a AAN Plug and Coil setup a'la this:

On the firewall and just drive it that way.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 17, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, WHAT?!

It WILL?! How? Holy poo poo, if it can, I'd rather just do that! I already ordered the crank trigger, but if I don't even need it to get it running, gently caress it, it can wait.

Do you have a simplified wiring diagram that I can get to show how that would run with just the distributor hall?
The distributor looks a lot like the bosch unit in my old Volvo. Basically it has a +12v, ground, and signal out. If it's the same as the Volvo one, you build the MS box for a 5v pullup on the ignition input, and that's where you wire the dizzy hall signal into tach input. You then use either the built in bip373 to drive the single coil, or do a million other ways (HEI module, maybe stock power transistor, etc), to fire the coil. This is a basic batch fire setup with a single coil and dizzy. You run this with "basic trigger" or "distributor mode" (they call it one of the two now, I haven't used it in a while).

Once you get it to start, you adjust the trigger angle until both the MS timing and actual timing match up. I usually leave the dizzy in the middle of it's adjustment, start with a trigger angle of 60, then add or subtract in 10* increments until the car starts (MS spark output locked at 10*). Once it starts, I get out the timing gun, match the timing marks with what MS says by changing the trigger angle, then don't forget to tell MS to unlock the timing and use the table.

What kind of wiring diagram are you looking for?

CommieGIR posted:

Holy crap! This simplifies a lot!

You'd go with a AAN Plug and Coil setup a'la this:

On the firewall and just drive it that way.
If you've got the coils already, I suggest you do either full sequential with cam sync or the "v10" hack.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 17, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

The distributor looks a lot like the bosch unit in my old Volvo. Basically it has a +12v, ground, and signal out. If it's the same as the Volvo one, you build the MS box for a 5v pullup on the ignition input, and that's where you wire the dizzy hall signal into tach input. You then use either the built in bip373 to drive the single coil, or do a million other ways (HEI module, maybe stock power transistor, etc), to fire the coil. This is a basic batch fire setup with a single coil and dizzy. You run this with "basic trigger" or "distributor mode" (they call it one of the two now, I haven't used it in a while).

Once you get it to start, you adjust the trigger angle until both the MS timing and actual timing match up. I usually leave the dizzy in the middle of it's adjustment, start with a trigger angle of 60, then add or subtract in 10* increments until the car starts (MS spark output locked at 10*). Once it starts, I get out the timing gun, match the timing marks with what MS says by changing the trigger angle, then don't forget to tell MS to unlock the timing and use the table.

What kind of wiring diagram are you looking for?

Just a basic 'This wire from the Megasquirt Harness goes here.

And a rundown of how the injectors need to be wired in. 3 on one, two on the other driver?

mafoose posted:

If you've got the coils already, I suggest you do either full sequential with cam sync or the "v10" hack.

Oh, that's not mine, thats just what the AAN setup basically looks like. Although that is someone's custom rig, not the stock version.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This arrived. My son hijacked it:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Steam engines don't need trigger wheels, little buddy. What are you building in there with those brightly coloured plastic tools?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Steam engines don't need trigger wheels, little buddy. What are you building in there with those brightly coloured plastic tools?

Nothing that can't be solved with Megasquirt :getin:

The words on his shirt sell it for me.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Are you making your own harness from scratch or starting with one that has the db37 pre terminated?

The injector drivers can handle up to 8 high-z injectors each. Since it's going to be batch fired anyways, you can just put all 5 on one, and save the other for staged injection in the future. Or split them up, either way you'll be injecting in "simultaneous" mode not "alternating."

mafoose fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 18, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Are you making your own harness from scratch or starting with one that has the db37 pre terminated?

The injector drivers can handle up to 8 high-z injectors each. Since it's going to be batch fired anyways, you can just put all 5 on one, and save the other for staged injection in the future. Or split them up, either way you'll be injecting in "simultaneous" mode not "alternating."

Already made a harness with aircraft grade wiring:

....and wiring labels!

So should the injectors be wired in series or parallel?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

???

One side of the injector goes to switched +12v, the other goes through a resistor if low-z, otherwise directly to the ms box. They're grounded through the ms to fire. 1 resistor per injector (if needed). What gauge did you use for the harness? Specifically for the injector banks?

Technically the resistor is in series with the injector, but the resitor/injector pairs are parallel to each other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

???

One side of the injector goes to switched +12v, the other goes through a resistor if low-z, otherwise directly to the ms box. They're grounded through the ms to fire. 1 resistor per injector (if needed). What gauge did you use for the harness? Specifically for the injector banks?

Technically the resistor is in series with the injector, but the resitor/injector pairs are parallel to each other.

Sorry, first time doing this, so I'm trying to figure it out.

20 AWG Single Copper for all the runs. Should be good for about 11 Amps

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Someone I know was going out of buisness, and sold me a ton of Audi parts. Shipped and on the way!

Two 10v turbo exhaust manifolds (cracked, no doubt)
One External Wastegate
One K24 Turbo in good condition
One Oil Cooler/Turbo Oil sandwhich plate adapter

All for about ~$180

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Started cleaning out the Audi 4000 Quattro engine bay for this Saturday, when I'll try to get the Megasquirt running.

Goodbye junk:

Megasquirt wiring harness run, gotta finalize where the Megasquirt itself will sit, but I'm thinking right by the relay/fuse box for ease of wiring:

Unpinning sensor wiring so I can re-use the plugs.

Meanwhile: The Audi 90 has started stumbling, and I'm not sure if I need to isolate to spark plug wires, but I'm also hearing that it might be the speed sensor or the 02 sensor, but I'll have to shoot it tomorrow. I'll start by putting the 02 sensor open loop and see if that helps, but it acts like its missing a cylinder, so I'm still kind of thinking its the plug wires. I've already changed the distributor rotor, and the cap is very clean, and the plugs are all new, and there fuel filter is now as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 19, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Depending on how long I'm at work tonight and how much I can sleep, I might have a simplified wiring diagram for you tomorrow.

Lucky for you I just made one for a Volvo guy, so most of the hard work is done.

What are you doing for power distribution? I usually mount a second fuse block for everything efi related (ms box, injectors, ignition, wideband, etc. I power the fuse box using 14ga wire fused at the battery that is switched on by a 50amp relay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

What are you doing for power distribution? I usually mount a second fuse block for everything efi related (ms box, injectors, ignition, wideband, etc. I power the fuse box using 14ga wire fused at the battery that is switched on by a 50amp relay.

Pretty much this, I'm breaking out of the stock fuse/relay box and running it from a separate fuse block. I'm probably keeping the fuel pump relay stock and just letting the Megasquirt worry about the fuel injection.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Basic_Configuration_Manual.htm#5cylinder

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 19, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well I at least know the O2 sensor IS bad on the 90, but still getting stumbling, other possible suspect including the hall sensors on the flywheel and plug wires.

Unplugging the O2 sensor ended a lot of the hesitation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
There is a guy in an Audi group selling a Audi 90 Quattro for $500 in New Jersey.

Anyone?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's crying out: jump me. Jump me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Awoke to this: My driveway had been collapsing on one side.

So the City randomly decided to fix it. Awesome. Too bad I wanted to go to work:

Nice.

So, our machine mechanic at work got a new work bench and they were going to toss the old one. and I need one!

In it goes! Also needed to clean/organize the garage to make space anyways. So I did!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap, nice lot of old motorcycles in that college. Plus the tricycle makes this thread that much better.

I have really been piecing together how to fuel inject a motorcycle, I have an idea on how to mount the injector, and other bits... Its the amperage that I'm running into. I don't think a bike alternator is going to put out enough juice to support every thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap, nice lot of old motorcycles in that college. Plus the tricycle makes this thread that much better.

I have really been piecing together how to fuel inject a motorcycle, I have an idea on how to mount the injector, and other bits... Its the amperage that I'm running into. I don't think a bike alternator is going to put out enough juice to support every thing.

The bikes are my wife's, and as much as I think they are cool, I'm terrified of motorcycles and they are stealing floor space I desperately need.

Her trike is pretty cool, she wanted a bike but wanted one she could carry stuff in. Its got a 10 speed gearbox too.

E: :doh: I just realized you were talking about my son's little tricycle, not my wife's tricycle.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 24, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, that's a pretty sweet workbench, good job.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

The bikes are my wife's, and as much as I think they are cool, I'm terrified of motorcycles and they are stealing floor space I desperately need.

Her trike is pretty cool, she wanted a bike but wanted one she could carry stuff in. Its got a 10 speed gearbox too.

E: :doh: I just realized you were talking about my son's little tricycle, not my wife's tricycle.

Hahaha, well, you could show pictures of your wifes tricycle too. At least your wife is into oily stuff, that's always cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Garage Panorama

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Box o' 10v parts for cheap!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got sick of the 90 running like poo poo, and decided to dig in deeper.

All the hats of the injectors. Every single one, were snapped off in the rail.

gently caress.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Injector upgrade? :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

Injector upgrade? :shrug:

Yup, we're getting the 034 Kit

http://store.034motorsport.com/audi-7a-efi-injector-adapter-kit-for-b3-audi-80-90-coupe-quattro-i5-20v-improved.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gotta remove the conical section, didn't work out.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 28, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thank god it wasn't CIS-E. I think the injectors for the 5000 cost $200+ a shot so we replaced the o rings and sent them away to be cleaned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Thank god it wasn't CIS-E. I think the injectors for the 5000 cost $200+ a shot so we replaced the o rings and sent them away to be cleaned.

If it was CISe, I have two complete sets of 2.3l injectors :smith:

Audi 4k news: sorted the wiring and labelled the endpoints, started mapping where the Megasquirt will wire into the relay/fuse panel.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The CIS injectors for my parent's old Mercedes were dirt cheap, since they were pretty basic items. The cold start injector was a bit pricy, but not too insane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

The CIS injectors for my parent's old Mercedes were dirt cheap, since they were pretty basic items. The cold start injector was a bit pricy, but not too insane.

Yeah, if you want them new, they are getting up there. Its probably the only reason I held onto mine, in case someone needs them.

Oh well. The 034 EFI Injector Upgrade Kit shipped today, it'll be here tommorrow and the 90 will be back in service.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The 90 20v Quattro is alive again!

Sure enough, it was the injectors, it runs smooth as silk now and idle doesn't flux.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wire, wire, all day long.

Wired in the Fuse box for the Fuel Injectors, powered by the Fuel Pump relay, provides power to the Megasquirt and two EFI banks.

Sensor Ground breakout board

Wired in the TPS, which I had to search for the pinout for, and the Air Temperature sensor.

Separated the wires for the EFI rail to separate into two separately powered banks, but they will fire as a single bank. I'll need to clean up the wiring later, but for now this is just to get everything set.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Working on Interior stripping

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I agreed to help fix someone's Honda, whats wrong with me

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depending on the Honda it could be easy and they might be grateful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Depending on the Honda it could be easy and they might be grateful?

01 Honda Accord. #3 cylinder no compression. We'll see.

• Locked thread