Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Hmm, not an ideal solution, but have you tried uninstalling the PMS software, make sure any residual Plex content is trashed, reboot, then reinstall? Bit of a hassle to set everything up again and have Plex update the metadata for all your content, but it's better than having to flatten and reinstall

I did uninstall PMS using CCleaner. I assumed that killed the residual plex content, but im not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

I did uninstall PMS using CCleaner. I assumed that killed the residual plex content, but im not sure

drat, and your media still doesn't get populated with art assets? That's really strange. Are you running any third-party antivirus/firewall software?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

drat, and your media still doesn't get populated with art assets? That's really strange. Are you running any third-party antivirus/firewall software?

Mcafee is on there. It doesnt seem to bother xbmc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Mcafee is on there. It doesnt seem to bother xbmc.

Longshot troubleshooting, but have you tried disabling it and then let Plex try to scrape the artwork?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I think I found your problem

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gyshall posted:

ill try disabling it when i get home. if xbmc doesnt care, and plex does, then i think plex is the problem.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

ill try disabling it when i get home. if xbmc doesnt care, and plex does, then i think plex is the problem.

I'm just assuming whatever agent/website Plex is using to scrape posters is being blocked by your antivirus/firewall for whatever reason.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Cornjob posted:

I'm aways surprised how many things an Antivirus can end up interfering with. You're right, it's possible it's unrelated, but yea, as you said, it's better to try disabling and just confirm it one way or the other.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Cornjob posted:

After moving my library to a new hard drive, plex is no longer scraping cover art. All the other metadata is fine. I tried deleting the library, cleaning bundles, emptying trash, ----nothing. This happened to me a year ago when i first installed plex, and i ended up doing a clean install of windows to fix it. Im not doing that again. Help!

Is your new drive part of a Storage Spaces pool? For some reason cover art doesn't work if the drive is part of a pool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Krailor posted:

Is your new drive part of a Storage Spaces pool? For some reason cover art doesn't work if the drive is part of a pool.

My Plex server uses DrivePool to combine 7 hard drives into a single virtual volume/pool and all my cover art updates just fine. I recently added a drive to pool without issue.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Krailor posted:

no it isnt.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

My Plex server uses DrivePool to combine 7 hard drives into a single virtual volume/pool and all my cover art updates just fine. I recently added a drive to pool without issue.

Hmm, maybe it was the fact that I formatted the pool as ReFS instead of the fact that it was a storage pool.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gyshall posted:

Uninstalled mcafee, and a few other programs. Still no cover art.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Uninstalled mcafee, and a few other programs. Still no cover art.

I honestly have no idea what to suggest now, heh. What a strange anomaly... uninstalling PMS not being able to remedy the situation is what confuses me the most.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

I honestly have no idea what to suggest now, heh. What a strange anomaly... uninstalling PMS not being able to remedy the situation is what confuses me the most.

I just installed Emby and used it to download art and .nfo files. now the art and info is right there in the same folders as the movies. I set the Scanner to "plex video files scanner" and the Agent to "personal media", then i forced a refresh. still nothing.

I tried it on Kodi, and kodi uses the local jpg and nfo files perfectly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

I just installed Emby and used it to download art and .nfo files. now the art and info is right there in the same folders as the movies. I set the Scanner to "plex video files scanner" and the Agent to "personal media", then i forced a refresh. still nothing.

Your computer must hate Plex or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Actually, here are some steps that might help you out as two of my TV shows stopped scraping artwork/banners/posters after an unexpected server restart, but I fixed it.

1. Be sure PMS isn't set to automatically update libraries and then close Plex Media Server.
2. Move the affected Movie/TV Show/Etc. out of the library folder.
3. Open Plex Media Server.
4. Update the libraries that had the affected media.
5. The affected media should now have the trash icon over it. Empty the trash.
6. Close Plex Media Server.
7. Re-add the affected Movie/TV Show/Etc. into their respective library folders.
8. Open Plex Media Server and then update libraries.

I did that for two of my shows and afterward it was like I had just added them to my Plex server for the first time, giving back access to all the proper art assets.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 17, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Picked up a Vizio Smart TV yesterday and apparently the Plex app for it won't play .MKV files. I got .m2ts files to play, but I just get a generic "error occurred" message when trying to play anything .MKV. I'm guessing that even though Plex transcodes the app just can't handle the container - has anyone else run into this, and is there a good way around this? The whole point of the Smart TV was for my Plex server and if I have to pick up yet another Roku I won't be thrilled. Mostly it's a matter of not having another power plug more than cost - this is a TV going in a shed and I'm not really interested in dealing with multiple extension cords or messing with power bars for ease of use for myself and the others in the house using it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Picked up a Vizio Smart TV yesterday and apparently the Plex app for it won't play .MKV files. I got .m2ts files to play, but I just get a generic "error occurred" message when trying to play anything .MKV. I'm guessing that even though Plex transcodes the app just can't handle the container - has anyone else run into this, and is there a good way around this? The whole point of the Smart TV was for my Plex server and if I have to pick up yet another Roku I won't be thrilled. Mostly it's a matter of not having another power plug more than cost - this is a TV going in a shed and I'm not really interested in dealing with multiple extension cords or messing with power bars for ease of use for myself and the others in the house using it.

Are you sure the Vizio TV Plex app is getting a transcoded stream of the MKV? Or Direct Streaming it? The error might be because the app could be trying to Direct Play it maybe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd suggest futzing around with any Direct Play / Direct Stream settings it has first. I've got some wonky TV recordings that my Roku TV will play with no audio unless I disable Direct Play.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got some wonky TV recordings that my Roku TV will play with no audio unless I disable Direct Play.

Video with no audio while Direct Playing in Plex just means the device you're playing back media on doesn't support the audio type in the file—in your case, I'm assuming your TV recordings would have Dolby Digital audio, so a transcode of the audio to like Stereo AAC or something is 100% necessary on a Roku TV. Unless you have your Plex client device hooked up to a Dolby Digital/DTS capable AVR, your Plex server is going to almost always have to Direct Stream or fully transcode your media for proper playback.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Actually, here are some steps that might help you out as two of my TV shows stopped scraping artwork/banners/posters after an unexpected server restart, but I fixed it.

1. Be sure PMS isn't set to automatically update libraries and then close Plex Media Server.
2. Move the affected Movie/TV Show/Etc. out of the library folder.
3. Open Plex Media Server.
4. Update the libraries that had the affected media.
5. The affected media should now have the trash icon over it. Empty the trash.
6. Close Plex Media Server.
7. Re-add the affected Movie/TV Show/Etc. into their respective library folders.
8. Open Plex Media Server and then update libraries.

I did that for two of my shows and afterward it was like I had just added them to my Plex server for the first time, giving back access to all the proper art assets.

Didnt work for me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Didnt work for me

Hmm, ok. Try making a copy of the affected media and place it somewhere outside of your library folder. Then go into the Plex Web app and delete the affected media. Then update library, empty trash, clean bundles, optimize, etc.

After you do all that, re-add the media and update the library. I should say you should try doing this with having all the boxes unchecked under the Plex Media Server library settings.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 18, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teagone posted:

Video with no audio while Direct Playing in Plex just means the device you're playing back media on doesn't support the audio type in the file—in your case, I'm assuming your TV recordings would have Dolby Digital audio, so a transcode of the audio to like Stereo AAC or something is 100% necessary on a Roku TV. Unless you have your Plex client device hooked up to a Dolby Digital/DTS capable AVR, your Plex server is going to almost always have to Direct Stream or fully transcode your media for proper playback.

Yeah, thankfully the new Plex app for Roku seems smart enough to only disable Direct Play on the specific videos I tell it to. It's such a small portion of my videos that I don't bother with manually transcoding them.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

teagone posted:

Are you sure the Vizio TV Plex app is getting a transcoded stream of the MKV? Or Direct Streaming it? The error might be because the app could be trying to Direct Play it maybe.

I didn't see any settings in the app, but I'll take a look tonight. Normally I use a Roku so I've never futzed around with a Smart TV before.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Change the agent order in plex. Or have you tried that?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I'm late but is there anyway to get Plex to just play the newest items for a show one after another? Since I updated, when I hit play on the show it tries to play everything from the first episode.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

rock2much posted:

I'm sure I'm late but is there anyway to get Plex to just play the newest items for a show one after another? Since I updated, when I hit play on the show it tries to play everything from the first episode.

If you have any unwatched episodes of a show, just go to the show's main page (don't click on the season) and hit "Play Unwatched".

[edit] They recently changed this function in a recent update and I posted in Plex forums just now asking to revert it back to being able to "Play Unwatched" from the season level https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/165007-play-unwatched-is-now-play-all/

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks teagone!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
How satisfied are people with using Plex to manage music and sync with Android devices? I sold my old iPod and I'm considering a 64gb or 128gb micro SD card for my Moto E.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WeaselWeaz posted:

How satisfied are people with using Plex to manage music and sync with Android devices? I sold my old iPod and I'm considering a 64gb or 128gb micro SD card for my Moto E.

Have you tried Google Play Music? It will sync all your music from your computer to the cloud and to your phone.

In my experience it's way better for music, unless you have some specific usage that it doesn't cover and plex does.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

WeaselWeaz posted:

I can't speak to plex for this but I use sublime and it works well enough. I don't listen to enough music to make paying for Google worth while.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horn posted:

I can't speak to plex for this but I use sublime and it works well enough. I don't listen to enough music to make paying for Google worth while.

Google Play Music gives you free cloud storage to upload 50,000 songs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The only lovely thing about Google music is that there's no "download all" button in the app. You have to either go through and create playlist and then pin them (playlists only support 1000 songs each, so you have to create a lot of them if you have a lot of music and it's kinda hacky) or go through each album and pin it manually. Either way, if you have a lot of music and want to download it all to your phone it's a pain in the rear end. Rest of it is great though.

If you do wind up using Google music and an SD card, make sure you change the settings to store stuff on external storage instead of internal. Also, maybe look into bittorent sync if you just want to dump a bunch of music files into a folder on your PC and have it sync to your phone that way.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
If you want to store all of your music on your phone why use Google Music? There are a few pretty good local storage music players out there to choose from.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

FlyingCheese posted:

If you want to store all of your music on your phone why use Google Music? There are a few pretty good local storage music players out there to choose from.

Large libraries may not fit on a device but may fit in Google's free storage. I use both. It's not very convenient to fill my phone up with music as the space is used for a lot of other things, so I just put a few dozen albums and stuff on then stream from elsewhere when I want stuff that's not there, it works pretty well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FlyingCheese posted:

I can see someone doing so because it's a decently painless way to get the songs onto your device if your library size and listening habits don't conflict with it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Unacknowledged posted:

Large libraries may not fit on a device but may fit in Google's free storage. I use both. It's not very convenient to fill my phone up with music as the space is used for a lot of other things, so I just put a few dozen albums and stuff on then stream from elsewhere when I want stuff that's not there, it works pretty well.

I was responding to chocolateTHUNDER who wanted a Download All button. Which kind of defeats the purpose of ~the cloud~

I guess if you're not willing to plug your phone to your computer and drag and drop music onto it it's easier, but why wait to upload then download all of your music?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

I was responding to chocolateTHUNDER who wanted a Download All button. Which kind of defeats the purpose of ~the cloud~

I guess if you're not willing to plug your phone to your computer and drag and drop music onto it it's easier, but why wait to upload then download all of your music?

Why not? It's not like you just have to sit there twiddling your thumbs while your computer and phone do this super-intensive task of uploading and downloading.

You just install the desktop uploader and the phone app and then go about your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FlyingCheese posted:

FlyingCheese posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Why not? It's not like you just have to sit there twiddling your thumbs while your computer and phone do this super-intensive task of uploading and downloading.

You just install the desktop uploader and the phone app and then go about your life.

Yeah, plus Google Music's actual website has super-handy features like automatically detecting and tagging albums/fixing tags/embedding album art and such. I don't think it's really that much of a stretch to use the website to fix tags and such, then transfer them to your phone or tablet or whatever for offline listening. I mean, it's basically iTunes with just the added step of having it automatically upload your music to their servers.