Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

my stepdads beer posted:

does DO have an overprovisioning problem because it feels like they do

that's their business model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
are there any ocr things that aren't a piece of poo poo these days
I want something I can hook up a scanner to in my house that will ocr poo poo and group similar things so I can scan in all the dumb paperwork you accumulate as an adult

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ahmeni posted:

are there any ocr things that aren't a piece of poo poo these days
I want something I can hook up a scanner to in my house that will ocr poo poo and group similar things so I can scan in all the dumb paperwork you accumulate as an adult

no idea how well this works but i found https://github.com/alxp/Tesseract-OCR-Workflow (its an automator script for image capture)

i've used tesseract to ocr subtitles before though and it works really well. there are very rarely any errors on normal text, and it even does italics while loving up only minimally. anecodtally it works far better than ms "MODI" ocr

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I want to hide a Mac menubar icon for like 100 people. is there a cmd I can jam into terminal that will do it. I don't want to get bartender or have to have users drag an icon out.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
upgrade them to windows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

.flv seek times are loving miserable in any media player. skipping, say, eight minutes forward in a ten-minute video means a freeze, 20-60 seconds of all four cores howling at 100% trying to do something and then a fast forward over all the footage the media player missed during the load time.

the only mentions of the problem I can find are from 2003 or something. is there some magic bullet that I've missed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

scamtank posted:

.flv seek times are loving miserable in any media player. skipping, say, eight minutes forward in a ten-minute video means a freeze, 20-60 seconds of all four cores howling at 100% trying to do something and then a fast forward over all the footage the media player missed during the load time.

the only mentions of the problem I can find are from 2003 or something. is there some magic bullet that I've missed

the magic bullet should be directed towards flash

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

adobe deserves nothing less than nuclear fire 4 sho, but every other mention was solved by "hey, this other media player worked" or "works4me" and i hate missing out on this turd being tolerable

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

have you considered that the flvs might be in a poo poo codec for seeking

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol sorenson

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
those flv files might not be indexed properly because they're captured from a stream or something, try using mpv with "--index=recreate" and see if it fixes it, it'll take a long time to load the file but when it's loaded it ought to seek properly

if that does fix it then you need to reindex the files and honestly i'm not sure what the best way to do that with an flv is aside from remuxing it entirely

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're going thru the trouble of reindexing the file its probably easier to convert it to mp4 instead.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
it might be internally some variety of mp4 already, in which case all you have to do it remux it, no video conversion required

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

as much input as i got,

Nintendo Kid posted:

have you considered that the flvs might be in a poo poo codec for seeking
encoding this stupid footage in x264 fixed the problem completely!! thanks, hanks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I want to hide a Mac menubar icon for like 100 people. is there a cmd I can jam into terminal that will do it. I don't want to get bartender or have to have users drag an icon out.

a what

menubar or dock

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

no idea how well this works but i found https://github.com/alxp/Tesseract-OCR-Workflow (its an automator script for image capture)

i've used tesseract to ocr subtitles before though and it works really well. there are very rarely any errors on normal text, and it even does italics while loving up only minimally. anecodtally it works far better than ms "MODI" ocr

tessaract seems nice, maybe I'll gently caress around with that

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

a what

menubar or dock

a menubar icon. Like this:

but without using bartender

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

a menubar icon. Like this:

but without using bartender

is it a system one or a third party one? if it's a system one there's probably a defaults write command for it since they're all just checkboxes in system prefs iirc

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

is it a system one or a third party one? if it's a system one there's probably a defaults write command for it since they're all just checkboxes in system prefs iirc

It's a third party one (opendns umbrella client)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

It's a third party one (opendns umbrella client)

if theres an option to hide it in the gui you should see if theres a defaults thing for it. if not, i guess you could run an automator script on all of the computers at startup or something that unchecks it or drags it off or whatever

if you literally just want it to be invisible but still there i guess you could just replace the icon resource with a transparent image or delete it maybe

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

if theres an option to hide it in the gui you should see if theres a defaults thing for it. if not, i guess you could run an automator script on all of the computers at startup or something that unchecks it or drags it off or whatever

if you literally just want it to be invisible but still there i guess you could just replace the icon resource with a transparent image or delete it maybe

yeah there's no uncheck and dragging doesn't work that's why I'm asking.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey what external web cam is everyone using these days

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

yeah there's no uncheck and dragging doesn't work that's why I'm asking.

install something like tripwire to find and compare the config file that changes before removing it and after?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

whichever one has the most amazon stars i assume they are all the same at this point

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

install something like tripwire to find and compare the config file that changes before removing it and after?

this is too much effort.

I guess just another example of how windows is better than mac

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

the logitech CXXX series is pretty good

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dodoman posted:

the logitech CXXX series is pretty good

good because that's what I recommended before anyone responded

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the keyboard on my iPad mini (iOS 8.3) is hosed

i uninstalled emoji and SA smilies but it is still way up high and obscures my posts/cant scroll down

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

the keyboard on my iPad mini (iOS 8.3) is hosed

i uninstalled emoji and SA smilies but it is still way up high and obscures my posts/cant scroll down
does this help https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6568700

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i can do the split keyboard thing but it's still up high and doesn't let me scroll down on what I'm writing

e: actually that jiggled it, thx

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I kept posting and couldn't see the dumb poo poo I was posting but it's like the proctologist said

this too shall pass

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

so i have a laptop i want to wipe the hdd of, is there an easy way or will i have to boot to a usb stick to do it?
if so whats the best thing to boot into to wipe hdds?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Awia posted:

so i have a laptop i want to wipe the hdd of, is there an easy way or will i have to boot to a usb stick to do it?
if so whats the best thing to boot into to wipe hdds?

dban

but if you're wiping SSD's using an linux with hdparm is better

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

spankmeister posted:

dban

but if you're wiping SSD's using an linux with hdparm is better

is dban seriously only a sourceforge download, ublock blocks it automatically which is pretty funny
thanks for the recommendation!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Awia posted:

is dban seriously only a sourceforge download, ublock blocks it automatically which is pretty funny
thanks for the recommendation!

yea but at least sourcefail hasn't put malware in isos.... yet

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

theyll find a way

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

yea but at least sourcefail hasn't put malware in isos.... yet

they were gonna use dban to wipe pied piper (startup ip) on the last ep of Silicon Valley

after a lot of gags they finally pulled the trigger and it failed to execute

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

they were gonna use dban to wipe pied piper (startup ip) on the last ep of Silicon Valley

after a lot of gags they finally pulled the trigger and it failed to execute

tbf it was gilfoyle's hosed up hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

tbf it was gilfoyle's hosed up hardware

it was dinesh's lovely code imo