Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This Mario Tennis game looks really good. Can't wait until it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I agree, and hate this about Splatoon.

The Amiibo is nonessential in unlocking the content, nothing is saved to the Amiibo. There is no reason to not offer these challenge packs as DLC for the same price as an Amiibo, or even a lower price of $10 each, in exchange for losing the compatibility of unlocking things in other games.

Like I am kind of shocked that they don't unlock the Amiibo Figher costumes in Smash. What is the point of forcing us to buy a rare toy if it is not even going to unlock related content elsewhere?

Amiibo are obnoxious in general, they're $13 figurines that unlock dlc that's worth maybe a dollar. If you're lucky they do it in three or four games that you may or may not own. The game that uses them most extensively is Smash, in which a single amiibo unlocks advanced AI for a single character. If you wanna collect them that's cool but I can't understand how people can defend the business model.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm working back through some old Nintendo DLC. Mario Kart at 200cc is some real poo poo. I thought I was good at this game, too. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RyokoTK posted:

I'm working back through some old Nintendo DLC. Mario Kart at 200cc is some real poo poo. I thought I was good at this game, too. :(

Be one with the speedforce, Barry

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zonekeeper posted:

This is why I'm surprised people are lukewarm about Nintendo at this E3 - they're the only ones letting the gameplay speak for itself instead of showing pre-rendered teasers and cutscenes that don't represent the final product.

Pretty sure sony and square enix showed gameplay for a few of it's games. And Nintendo really hasn't been all that much on the ball in terms of gameplay this year for their first party games. So yes people are right to be concerned.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

This is why I'm surprised people are lukewarm about Nintendo at this E3 - they're the only ones letting the gameplay speak for itself instead of showing pre-rendered teasers and cutscenes that don't represent the final product.

Motto posted:

Most people think of E3 as mainly being about prerendered trailers of exciting shock announcements, of which Nintendo had absolutely none, and Sony and SE had plenty of.

Let's not completely separate new and exciting announcements from gameplay footage. Last year Nintendo clearly won, and they still showed a lot of gameplay of new games. I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that Digital Events have great pacing and that more gameplay is good. This year there just weren't any exciting games, especially for Wii U owners. And considering that we already know about a lot of future titles that weren't shown, of course people are going to be disappointed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Pretty sure sony and square enix showed gameplay for a few of it's games. And Nintendo really hasn't been all that much on the ball in terms of gameplay this year for their first party games. So yes people are right to be concerned.
Dont respond to this or Taint reaper will go back to his favorite website, Metacritic

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RyokoTK posted:

Brake at the same time you drift on turns and it becomes manageable even with heavies.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Dont respond to this or Taint reaper will go back to his favorite website, Metacritic

If you want to talk about Metacritic the Metroid Petition was created by a guy named Jay Sherman.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The reaper now waits for fresh taints to fall into his trap.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Really nobody "won" E3 this year. Each of the conferences had some interesting things and some not interesting things. There will still be plenty of good games by years end but nothing mind blowing was really announced.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Really nobody "won" E3 this year. Each of the conferences had some interesting things and some not interesting things. There will still be plenty of good games by years end but nothing mind blowing was really announced.

FF7 was the only exciting surprise

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Brake at the same time you drift on turns and it becomes manageable even with heavies.

I feel like a bitch using the brakes in Mario Kart! Next you're gonna tell me to brake in F-Zero GX, and that's just not going to happen. :colbert:

It's kind of weird because the courses are pretty plainly not meant for 200cc speed, but that's the good part. Although hearing the music on Mount Wario cut off really early in each area is throwing me off.

e: Also Big Blue :eyepop:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yes taint reaper, everything stinks

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spacebump posted:

but nothing mind blowing was really announced.

Uh Shenmue 3 being real was pretty loving mindblowing

especially since it came right after Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 remake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Amiibo are obnoxious in general, they're $13 figurines that unlock dlc that's worth maybe a dollar. If you're lucky they do it in three or four games that you may or may not own. The game that uses them most extensively is Smash, in which a single amiibo unlocks advanced AI for a single character. If you wanna collect them that's cool but I can't understand how people can defend the business model.

The primary business model of the amiibo is providing a fun little collectible statue. All the gameplay stuff is really ancillary to the amiibo. Most amiibo unlocks are cosmetic in nature, and the ones that aren't don't unlock substantial gameplay. Games that do have full game modes behind amiibo come bundled with amiibo (Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like a bitch using the brakes in Mario Kart! Next you're gonna tell me to brake in F-Zero GX, and that's just not going to happen. :colbert:

It's kind of weird because the courses are pretty plainly not meant for 200cc speed, but that's the good part. Although hearing the music on Mount Wario cut off really early in each area is throwing me off.

e: Also Big Blue :eyepop:

That's what we all said until we accepted that we were bitches and started using the brake in Mario Kart. Also ignore some curves you used to drift, several become speed traps in 200cc

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought that Sony and Microsoft were doing their own Treehouse like live demos during E3. Are they just not incredibly obvious to find, or are they not really happening?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

FF7 was the only exciting surprise

The Taint Reaper posted:

Uh Shenmue 3 being real was pretty loving mindblowing

especially since it came right after Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Out of those 3, Last Guardian seemed the best to me simply because they showed actual game play. It didn't look like a system seller to me but I appreciate showing more than a cutscene.

I understand why people are pumped about Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake but I'd personally wait until we see more of those games to get pumped.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

The primary business model of the amiibo is providing a fun little collectible statue.

Amiibo, and fun collectable are words that do not go together.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Out of those 3, Last Guardian seemed the best to me simply because they showed actual game play. It didn't look like a system seller to me but I appreciate showing more than a cutscene.

I understand why people are pumped about Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake but I'd personally wait until we see more of those games to get pumped.

The whole thing was pretty ho-hum but FF7 really caught me off guard. The last guardian is a game I want to be finished at this point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

Amiibo, and fun collectable are words that do not go together.

Yes they are? For a lot of them, the amiibo is the only piece of official merch a character has ever gotten. Like Captain Falcon or Marth.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

jivjov posted:

The primary business model of the amiibo is providing a fun little collectible statue. All the gameplay stuff is really ancillary to the amiibo. Most amiibo unlocks are cosmetic in nature, and the ones that aren't don't unlock substantial gameplay. Games that do have full game modes behind amiibo come bundled with amiibo (Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival).

:agreed:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Yes they are? For a lot of them, the amiibo is the only piece of official merch a character has ever gotten. Like Captain Falcon or Marth.

4am preorders that sell out in 2 minutes

Scalping is extremely common

retailer exclusives that are made in extremely small numbers

these are not things that one considers "fun"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

The primary business model of Amiibo is selling little plastic statues to kids/nerds/scalpers at a healthy profit margin

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

4am preorders that sell out in 2 minutes

Scalping is extremely common

retailer exclusives that are made in extremely small numbers

these are not things that one considers "fun"

Amiibo supply has been getting consistently better with each passing wave, and the rares have all been getting reprints and restocks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad the DLC amiibos unlock is usually something small because finding a specific one is kind of a pain

Like the only one I really wanted was Toad and he's like £20+ everywhere despite not really doing anything

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

The problem with Metacritic is that there's a glitch whenever it brings up the best critically received Wii U games it doesn't display Wonderful 101. It's been almost two years now and it's still not fixed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm glad the DLC amiibos unlock is usually something small because finding a specific one is kind of a pain

Like the only one I really wanted was Toad and he's like £20+ everywhere despite not really doing anything

Yeah, toad being the only non-repeat character from the Super Mario line isn't doing him any favors

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Gimme dat Skylanders Bowser. Gimme

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We need a Bowser character action game by Platinum already.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My brain would probably loving explode if I was a kid and saw a Bowser Amiibo that works in Skylanders and also is an Amiibo.

I think Amiibos are great and I only bought Link and Shulk and never plan on buying another. ( That Yoshi Amiibo is tempting though. ) Some cranky no fun having posters in this thread.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Gimme dat Skylanders Bowser. Gimme

ALSO GIMME DAT ISABELLE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"Isabelle and I have a special relationship" oh Bill...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Isabelle and I have a special relationship" oh Bill...

Bill needs to step back from my Animal Crossing waifu...

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Why are people so loving hot over Isabelle? Are they just dumb and/or forgot about the OG hotness aka K.K. Slider?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's my boy Bowser Jr :cool:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agrias120 posted:

Why are people so loving hot over Isabelle? Are they just dumb and/or forgot about the OG hotness aka K.K. Slider?

K.K. is boss as all hell, but Isabelle is always around, not just on Saturday.

• Locked thread