Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Who is the buffoon in the picture on Michael Kirkbride's page on the UESPWiki? What is he eating?
Pretty sure that's an old picture of Kirkbride. Something filled with hallucinogens most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Back Hack posted:

As someone who doesn't play mobile games at all, why is that?

little to no barrier to entry for piracy

games for android have to be written in native code as opposed to the multiplatform java normal apps are written in, hence keeping games working on all the dumb configurations out there is a massive time/money sink which eats into the already slim margins of mobile development

far less android tablet users than ipad users. the only compelling reason to own an android tablet is the price, which feeds into...

android typically skews toward the lower end and people who have no means or interest in buying software

apple products have a higher unit price than most of their competitors and therefore tend to attract wealthier customers who are more willing to spend money. their users generally went into the shop wanting A Good Thing from apple who are A Good Company Whose Brand I Trust (that is, they're more invested in the product and brand than a £50 android burner phone.) they are more likely to spend money and buy apps.

taking all that into account: it's still loving hard to make money on the iphone app store. the common expectation is for things to be free or VERY cheap and software is waaaay undervalued - your margins are usually tiny. and this is the best case scenario for mobile development. the android app store has the same issue with app pricing, except vastly higher percentages of the users either can't or don't want to spend money and pirating your app is just a click away. also you've got to ensure your app runs on a ridiculous spectrum of screen sizes, processors and even different app stores. it isn't a derelict non-economy like the windows store but it's not very good.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 17, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why do people get so worked up about their fanfictions? If you write a long detailed character story, it's 100% in your head, so who cares if the main story clashes with it and you have to just ignore certain things? You're already ignoring the fact that you're sitting in front of your computer and not actually living this pretend life you've made up, is it that much more of a leap to ignore when another pretend character calls you hubby or something?

Sure I"m being kind of obnoxious about it, but I legitimately don't understand that level of hardcore roleplaying. Or more to the point, I don't understand why people feel they should expect it to be catered to.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

What are you if not where you came from? Besides that poo poo was 200 years ago and everyone is dead dead dead you can do whatever you want. Maybe you were a gay man that married and had a kid because it was the 1950s and you didn't want to rock the boat and upset your parents? Who knows dude who knows.

You know as well as I do that nothing in the game itself will support that interpretation.

Moridin920 posted:

And you're vaaastly oversimplifying F1,2,+3 by saying 'guy who grew up in a vault/from some wasteland tribe.' The entire purpose of the game was to help your family and vault buddies by finding a water chip. The entire purpose of the game was finding a GECK to help your tribe, who by the way include your mother and family. The entire point of F3 was to go find your dad and figure out what happened in your past, which by the way was a whole childhood sequence.

Pretending the PC had no connection to the vault or the tribe in 1 or 2 is really disingenuous.

Maybe so; I haven't actually played the first two games.

I also think Fallout 3's forced backstory is more universally relatable than Fallout 4's; after all, everyone is someone's child, but not everyone is someone's parent or spouse.

And even if this is the way Fallout always did things before New Vegas, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way. Maybe the lesson from New Vegas is that blank slate is the way to go. Or, as I proposed before, let us build our backstory from several variables during character creation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why do people get so worked up about their fanfictions? If you write a long detailed character story, it's 100% in your head, so who cares if the main story clashes with it and you have to just ignore certain things? You're already ignoring the fact that you're sitting in front of your computer and not actually living this pretend life you've made up, is it that much more of a leap to ignore when another pretend character calls you hubby or something?

Sure I"m being kind of obnoxious about it, but I legitimately don't understand that level of hardcore roleplaying. Or more to the point, I don't understand why people feel they should expect it to be catered to.

To be fair, the whole idea of "player choice" is to create whatever character you want, I just think it's actually impossible to create a literal blank slate and that there's a an acceptable range for open world games. Even like, Link, from Legend of Zelda, who doesn't speak except to react to things, has a definitely recognizable personality, and the Links from each game feel different from each other. I think the Elder Scrolls protagonists are about as close as you can get to blank slates, but I don't think Fallout (even New Vegas) has ever really tried for that. I can't speak for the first two, but 3 and NV definitely have characters with some amount of implied back-story, and I don't think it detracts from defining their personalities largely the way that you want to do it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Bicyclops posted:

They will likely feature in the plot as a surprise toward the end of the game, when the PC has already established a new identity for himself, though. "A good character who just didn't care for marriage or kids" is a really specific thing to want to play, it's like saying "I wanted to play a hero who would never have agreed to be a mere delivery man."

Heck they may even have a good story they want to tell around the family concept. They may start your character in a pretty whitebread conservative place, then have you experience a much more diverse and heterogenous postwar society, and leave you with the message of 'wow it took a nuclear apocalypse for social progress to happen'. That would actually mesh reasonably well with how fatalistic and pessimistic the Fallout world generally is. Or they might have you spend the game meeting new friends and allies and then throw a thing at you where you (somehow) have to choose between your prewar family and your new associations. Are your blood relations your real family, or the people you choose to be connected to? There are, potentially, perfectly reasonably stories to tell based around the concept they've given us so far.

Of course they might do a really clichéd 'family is everything' plot which would be a drag. I guess the point is the concept alone isn't bad, we need to see what they're going to do with it.

When New Vegas was first announced I was a little annoyed about the courier thing. What if I don't want to play a courier? What if I have some other background in mind? (It seemed to fit especially badly with the Tribal Pack preorder thing I got) Of course it turned out that the story that they wanted to tell required your character to be a courier, and while it wasn't the most compelling thing ever it was a pretty good story by videogame standards and so, in the end, that limitation they hung you with out of the gate was fine. The story was worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The dumbest thing about the courier background is how in Lonesome Road you never get a dialogue option to explain to Ulysses what couriers actually are and do.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

little to no barrier to entry for piracy

games for android have to be written in native code as opposed to the multiplatform java normal apps are written in, hence keeping games working on all the dumb configurations out there is a massive time/money sink which eats into the already slim margins of mobile development

far less android tablet users than ipad users. the only compelling reason to own an android tablet is the price, which feeds into...

android typically skews toward the lower end and people who have no means or interest in buying software

This isn't quite true, Android market share has surpassed iPad and keeps widening the gap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you think it is harder to pirate apps for iOS or something

Praetorian Mage posted:

You know as well as I do that nothing in the game itself will support that interpretation.

I don't think anything will necessarily contradict it though; unless they do a weird 'now find your wife and kid in the wasteland' plot and really give you a bunch of detail. Which I guess they might but it's more 50/50 for me whereas I think you are sure they will do that (which is totally possible).

I will say that having the ability to customize your spouse and having the kid change skin color isn't that much of anything to go on, since the 'customize your spouse' bit is presumably just their way of making the character creation a little more immersive - like you're not actually customizing the spouse, you are customizing your female player character and then deciding to change gender after you do it all. And having the baby change according to what you look like matters for the intro sequence animations and isn't exactly difficult to do so it means nothing either. At least that's how I interpreted that.

quote:

I also think Fallout 3's forced backstory is more universally relatable than Fallout 4's; after all, everyone is someone's child, but not everyone is someone's parent or spouse.

And even if this is the way Fallout always did things before New Vegas, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way. Maybe the lesson from New Vegas is that blank slate is the way to go. Or, as I proposed before, let us build our backstory from several variables during character creation.

I will say that I don't like kids and I don't want a kid preferably I wouldn't have my dude have a kid. :shrug:

It's not an invalid point, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's really all that big of a deal. It's more important to me that they stick with having good modding capabilities so we can just use the alternate start mod that will invariably come out a day after the mod kit is released. I might be interpreting just talking about a game that isn't out yet and thus rehashing the same few points as people being mad about it when they are in fact just mildly annoyed or whatever.

Not expecting great writing out of Bethesda anyway so if it doesn't suck I'll be pleasantly surprised but either way as long as the mod capabilities are up to snuff then I'm good.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 17, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Well, it is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The thing is, if they didn't make sure that you had a baby, I couldn't perform twisted genetic experiments using the husband's and wife's faces to see what kind of monstrous offspring they would produce together, seeing which freakish potato Gamebryo genes are dominant, so I am preemptively going to be happy that there is a baby.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Curious to see what the skill bobbleheads do when skills were assumed to be removed from the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BlackLaser posted:

Curious to see what the skill bobbleheads do when skills were assumed to be removed from the game.

Free perk maybe?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think anything will necessarily contradict it though; unless they do a weird 'now find your wife and kid in the wasteland' plot and really give you a bunch of detail.

I'm not sure "find your family" will be part of the plot (though it wouldn't be a complete surprise, either), but I do think there will be a lot of dialogue referencing it or even (God forbid) ME3-style dream sequences or flashbacks.

Moridin920 posted:

I will say that I don't like kids and I don't want a kid preferably I wouldn't have my dude have a kid. :shrug:

It's not an invalid point, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's really all that big of a deal. It's more important to me that they stick with having good modding capabilities so we can just use the alternate start mod that will invariably come out a day after the mod kit is released. I might be interpreting just talking about a game that isn't out yet and thus rehashing the same few points as people being mad about it when they are in fact just mildly annoyed or whatever.

Not expecting great writing out of Bethesda anyway so if it doesn't suck I'll be pleasantly surprised but either way as long as the mod capabilities are up to snuff then I'm good.

I think what's really getting to me is the combination of a more detailed backstory with a new dialogue system reminiscent of Mass Effect with dialogue choices reduced to things like "GET FOOD", "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING", "EVERYTHING'S DEAD", and "YOU'RE A MUTT". You don't seem to be deciding what to say so much as what subject you're going to comment about. When you combine that with a detailed established backstory (which implies a certain personality type), it's possible that everything the character says will reflect that backstory, which could really kill roleplaying.

I'd certainly love to be wrong, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

This isn't quite true, Android market share has surpassed iPad and keeps widening the gap.

oops you're right. that being said market share doesn't tell the whole story, a lot of this growth is spurred by ridiculously low cost android tablets with razor-thin margins.

i can't find figures for tablets but the iPhone has an 88% share of total smartphone profit so i'd waget it was even more ridiculous in the table field where apple's marketshare is higher

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

RBA Starblade posted:

Free perk maybe?

Yeah, the perk pictures we've seen have been "[Skill Name] Rank #", so the bobbleheads will probably increment your skill rank by 1. I'm hoping that perk ranks do more than unlock tiers of challenges, so hopefully something like:
Lockpick 1: unlock level 1 locks & can unlock while sneaking
Lockpick 2: unlock level 2 locks & outside time slows down while in the unlocking mini-game
Lockpick 3: unlock level 3 locks & 50% chance to recover a broken lockpick

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

well it absolutely is. not much of a barrier to entry for anyone remotely confident with technology but lmao if you think that's more than a tiny minority. compare android's process of downloading a file and clicking on it (or if you want to be generous, downloading a file, clicking on it, being directed to a settings page where you turn unknown sources on) versus having to run an old version of iOS (which you get heavily prompted to update) knowing what jailbreak to get, how to use the program, where to get it, how to install the iphone app packages once you actually get it jailbroken. some of those steps are a ballache even for people comfortable with technology. don't kid yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nevets posted:

Yeah, the perk pictures we've seen have been "[Skill Name] Rank #", so the bobbleheads will probably increment your skill rank by 1. I'm hoping that perk ranks do more than unlock tiers of challenges, so hopefully something like:
Lockpick 2: unlock level 2 locks & outside time slows down while in the unlocking mini-game

Speaking of minigames I hope they remove that godawful hacking one. New Vegas made it worse by putting a delay in before trying again.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Nevets posted:

If Seorin can fix the TES games skill systems, he might be able to fix the Fallout ones as well.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 3 vs New Vegas discussion always seems to attract magnificent badasses who don't consider being shot in the face to be a significant personal event.

Well it's not like it did any lasting harm so let bygones be bygones

Or just go on your generic revenge quest trope, that has never been done before

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

oops you're right. that being said market share doesn't tell the whole story, a lot of this growth is spurred by ridiculously low cost android tablets with razor-thin margins.

i can't find figures for tablets but the iPhone has an 88% share of total smartphone profit so i'd waget it was even more ridiculous in the table field where apple's marketshare is higher

No in Tablets Android is still higher not just phones. Also you should read that article you posted Apple has more profit then Android because Android phone makers are forced to develop and market against each other, none of which has anything to do with selling apps.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of minigames I hope they remove that godawful hacking one. New Vegas made it worse by putting a delay in before trying again.

Once you get a hang of it the hacking minigames aren't too bad, they're slow though and could be more fun.
Lockpicking in Fallout imo is actually pretty good, and it seems like they basically kept it the same for Skyrim too so I suspect that at least will return.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

khy posted:

Well, you might also want to unravel the mystery of why someone shot you over a poker chip and went to the trouble of dramatically monologuing about it to you. Or you might just want to get the package back so that Mojave Express doesn't send mercenaries after you for losing it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

High res images.

http://imgur.com/a/xsQei
http://imgur.com/a/pcun9

:lol:

I'll mess with the app on my Nexus tablet I never use, but I don't need it strapped to my arm.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

No in Tablets Android is still higher not just phones. Also you should read that article you posted Apple has more profit then Android because Android phone makers are forced to develop and market against each other, none of which has anything to do with selling apps.

i don't think you quite understood my post. what do you mean by 'still higher'? the point is the higher average selling price attracts wealthier customers who are more invested in the brand, and are therefore more likely to buy apps. also developing and marketing against each other is literally the essence of healthy competition, and apple are the recipient of far more negative marketing from android phone manufacturers than any other company. stop making excuses for the vast majority of android phones being interchangeable dreck.

this is reflected in the numbers
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/28/android-ios-app-downloads-revenues-app-annie-google-play-app-store
'Google Play generated 60% more downloads than the App Store, but 70% less revenues'

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 17, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

BlackLaser posted:

I'll mess with the app on my Nexus tablet I never use, but I don't need it strapped to my arm.

"Oh boy can't wait to start playing Fallout 4 with my new Pip-Boy."
*Gets carpal tunnel from resting arm on desk, trying to use keyboard.*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

khy posted:

I feel like being shot in the head and not only left for dead but buried in an unmarked grave requires some sort of response pretty much no matter what character you're playing, barring a Gandhi playthrough

It's the reason I was always so nice to that otherwise incredibly suspicious cowboy robot. I even put batteries in his shed for him instead of just stealing them like you fuckers all did! :iamafag:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like being shot in the head and not only left for dead but buried in an unmarked grave requires some sort of response pretty much no matter what character you're playing, barring a Gandhi playthrough

It's the reason I was always so nice to that otherwise incredibly suspicious cowboy robot. I even put batteries in his shed for him instead of just stealing them like you fuckers all did! :iamafag:

What kind of monster would be mean to the friendly cowboy robot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khy posted:

Or follow the mystery of why someone would try to kill you over what seems to be a worthless trinket. Or have a lot of professional pride, in classic "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" fashion. Or look at the contract in your inventory which says hired murderers will come after you if you fail to make your delivery and make a The Yikes Guy face.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm tempted to buy the edition with the stupid huge plastic pipboy to see if I can flip it on ebay later, but I'm worried I won't game the market right. I'll probably just buy the drat game on steam.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Praetorian Mage posted:

I recommend that you actually play the things you're trying to talk about, then.

The first two Fallout games let you actually select pre-made characters with established backstories if you didn't want to make your own. In the first game, the entire reason you've left Vault 13 is so you can find a new water chip; you can even return to the Vault and do sidequests and beg for extra supplies. The water chip plot also has a hard time limit of 150 in-game days (extendable to 250 if you complete a sidequest) before you get an automatic game over from the Vault running out of water. It takes multiple in-game days to travel to locations, which means that time passes fast enough that there's actually a serious risk of running out of time if you get lost/confused or dick around in the sandbox too much. Even worse, the game has a hard time limit of 500 days from the very beginning of the game (400 if you extended the water chip quest's time limit) before mutants overrun the Vault and kill everyone. As before, you have a legitimate risk of failing because of timing out.

Fallout 2 removes this in favor of a hard-coded 13 in-game year time limit, but it bumps up the storyline's importance even more by adding a mandatory tutorial temple and several sidequests in the village that let you interact with your friends and family and better supply yourself before setting out. If you complete every single Arroyo sidequest and talk to everyone, it'll easily take longer to enter the sandbox than it does in Fallout 3.

And of course, neither of these games has alternate endings; no matter how immoral you wanted to be, the only way to get a proper ending that wasn't "And they all died, the end" was to complete the main quest in the way that was intended. You got ending slides showing what happened to the settlements just like in Fallout 3 and New Vegas and some of them were established by later games as canon (like the NCR flourishing and becoming a major power instead of dying out), but the main quest only had one way to complete it. You could slaughter the wasteland, but didn't get an actual ending unless you got the GECK for Arroyo or stopped the Master's super mutant army.

Bethesda gets poo poo on a lot by purists, but they really loosened the more restrictive parts of Black Isle's storytelling by actually letting you play in the sandbox all you want. And while you're forced to complete the main quest a certain way (though this is no different from its predecessors that get viewed with rose-colored lenses), Broken Steel adds the option to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel instead of the Enclave. This is the first instance of any kind of alternate ending that isn't just a fancy "game over, try again" screen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BlackLaser posted:

I'm wondering if this the only set we'll get. Can you make the bobbleheads and their vault tech stands? Do they even do anything now and are just pure decorations?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

sout posted:

"Oh boy can't wait to start playing Fallout 4 with my new Pip-Boy."
*Gets carpal tunnel from resting arm on desk, trying to use keyboard.*

don't imply that it's not going to be made of the lightest, cheapest plastic imaginable

also a touchscreen pipboy just feels so wrong to me for some reason. i hope those knobs on the side actually do something. not that i'm ever going to own this.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Edit: ^^^ If you're lucky they won't be glued on so you can spin them around and pretend they do something. If you're really lucky they'll make click-click noise as you turn them.

RBA Starblade posted:

What kind of monster would be mean to the friendly cowboy robot.

Even the nicest anthropomorphic automaton begins to seem creepy when he follows you from a distance and then lies about it with a smile.

Nevets fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 17, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I'm tempted to buy the edition with the stupid huge plastic pipboy to see if I can flip it on ebay later, but I'm worried I won't game the market right. I'll probably just buy the drat game on steam.

I would recommend buying a digital version not on steam, purely because it's cheaper - that is if you're planning to play on launch.
I think you should be able to use some sort of discount just for signing up for greenmangaming.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I'm wondering if this the only set we'll get. Can you make the bobbleheads and their vault tech stands? Do they even do anything now and are just pure decorations?

if skills are truly gone the bonuses are probably something like '20% better prices at merchants' or '20% more damage with explosives' etc

sout posted:

I would recommend buying a digital version not on steam, purely because it's cheaper - that is if you're planning to play on launch.
I think you should be able to use some sort of discount just for signing up for greenmangaming.

yeah is there any country in the world where steam's prices are halfway competitive? it's not quite origin level 'you'll be paying the launch price forever' shilling but aside from sales evey game i've seen is available far cheaper on amazon or *shudder* a keysite

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

don't imply that it's not going to be made of the lightest, cheapest plastic imaginable

also a touchscreen pipboy just feels so wrong to me for some reason. i hope those knobs on the side actually do something. not that i'm ever going to own this.

Good point: also they definitely won't, I don't see how they could.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

sout posted:

Once you get a hang of it the hacking minigames aren't too bad, they're slow though and could be more fun.
Lockpicking in Fallout imo is actually pretty good, and it seems like they basically kept it the same for Skyrim too so I suspect that at least will return.

my problem with the locking/hacking minigames isnt that they're hard. they're easy as poo poo, i'd just rather not do the same boring minigame a thousand times and instead make it a skill check.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BlackLaser posted:

High res images.

http://imgur.com/a/xsQei
http://imgur.com/a/pcun9

That special only has one value above 5 and it's a single 6.

Wtf :tinfoil: how's this gonna wooooork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Andrast posted:

Well, it is.

Seriously. Turning on "install from unknown sources" and downloading the apk vs jailbreaking an iDevice and dicking around with all that bullshit is as different as it gets.

• Locked thread