Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Malcolm XML posted:

java before JIT/hotspot was slow as poo poo though

this is kind of true, but at the same time people were very happily using things like perl that were just as slow and have never gotten any faster, and being slow as poo poo never seemed to hold python or ruby back

it just turned into a huge deal in the single case of java, and hung around as a prejudice long after it stopped being remotely true

i have legit seen people write cpu-limited stuff in python because they want more safety than c++ can provide and they think java is too slow to bother with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

java applets are still slow to start up though

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I think thats because slow languages like ruby and perl aren't really used in the interactive UI space, whereas Java was. most people's complaints around Java's slowness tend to base that on Applet and UI performance (i.e. Eclipse).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
nah i've seen plenty of interactive in-house stuff using poo poo like perl/tk and tkinter. they're slower than java.

i'll give you the applet thing though, no idea why anyone would ever use an applet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

startup speed is disproportionately important in people's impressions of something's performance, and JVM startup has always been terrible.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i guess that's true as well

god though i'm trying to fix up a tkinter app right now (don't ask, don't ask, don't ask) and it's hell on wheels figuring out where the problems are without anything like jvisualvm. and it's still going to be slow as gently caress even when i've done everything i can, even pushing some of the cpu-bound stuff out into a c extension module.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
here's a funny programmer joke for y'all

python concurrency

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Soricidus posted:

python

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
see, lots of things that are bad with various languages i can see why they've done it. null, optional semicolons, [] being linked lists, etc etc, even the weak, dynamic and completely hosed type system of php

but python is the one language which seems to intentionally make things worse. they honestly seem to double down on bad decisions more than any other mainstream language

the two that i can think of off the top of my head are removing TCO, and the global interpreter lock that never seems to go away. didn't guide say that he didn't like list comprehensions and wanted to take them out or something?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 17, 2015

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gonadic io posted:

didn't guide say that he didn't like list comprehensions and wanted to take them out or something?

If I recall that was the stuff from a functional lib (map, filter, etc.) which could be better served by list comprehensions.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

i guess that's true as well

god though i'm trying to fix up a tkinter app right now (don't ask, don't ask, don't ask) and it's hell on wheels figuring out where the problems are without anything like jvisualvm. and it's still going to be slow as gently caress even when i've done everything i can, even pushing some of the cpu-bound stuff out into a c extension module.

atleast it only has 1 thread to debug

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

python concurrency

dont really like gross-out humor

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Valeyard posted:

lol

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
startup time doesn't really matter for services though because the poo poo's running all the time. (right?)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess it matters a little more with containers / clouds and the rise of microservices

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

startup time doesn't really matter for services though because the poo poo's running all the time. (right?)

for literally everything except php, yes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Valeyard posted:

it has multiple processes

fml

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

gonadic io posted:

didn't guide say that he didn't like list comprehensions and wanted to take them out or something?

pretty sure it's the opposite, he loves them and hates map/reduce/filter

GIL is funny though and so is no TCO because it is 'unpythonic'

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ploft-shell crab posted:

pretty sure it's the opposite, he loves them and hates map/reduce/filter

GIL is funny though and so is no TCO because it is 'unpythonic'

yeah my mistake

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
i've been using c# properly for the first time ever, after months of working on sql bullshit. i'm kinda loving it. linq is the bees balls.
having conversations about using linq to interact with lync is the bees sexual suicide.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
maybe i'm stupid but how would tco be unpythonic when it's basically an implementation optimization?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
efficiency is unpythonic

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

maybe i'm stupid but how would tco be unpythonic when it's basically an implementation optimization?

behind-the-scenes implementation-dependent optimizations are unpythonic because they make code that works suddenly stop working when the implementation changes*

* does not apply to behind-the-scenes implementation-dependent optimizations that guido likes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unpythonic is a weird way of saying "good" or "correct"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

encourages styles of programming that he doesn't like

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what is the best way to concatenate a bunch of javascript libs together. grunt? gulp? yeoman? browserify? hand rolled makefile? piping the files into a big one? folding them with haskell?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

|

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pram posted:

what is the best way to concatenate a bunch of javascript libs together. grunt? gulp? yeoman? browserify? hand rolled makefile? piping the files into a big one? folding them with haskell?

the best way is to remove the disk from rthe compurer and hit it repeatedly with a sledgehammer until all the files are stuck together op

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

the answer is probably just piping all the files into a big one

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the disk is soldered into the motherboard

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
try out RequireJS and let us know how it works because i want to know too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youd think bower could handle something like this? it must be a common thing wtf. ill look at requirejs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh it does in fact do what im describing

http://requirejs.org/docs/optimization.html#onejs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

try out RequireJS and let us know how it works because i want to know too

it works but it makes all of your code more confusing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it works but it makes all of your code more confusing
its javascript so its probably already just a jumbled mess of stuff u c&ped from stackoverflow anyway

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how come c apis are so hard

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/apb.html

i just want to move some windows around

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
because manual resource management sucks

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how come c apis are so hard

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/apb.html

i just want to move some windows around

hi i'm a c api, please give me three void pointers, and their lengths. i will fill one of them with data and read from the other two. if any of the lengths are wrong, or any of the data uninitialised, or the wrong type pre-casting, you're absolutely hosed.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

gonadic io posted:

hi i'm a c api, please give me three void pointers, and their lengths. i will fill one of them with data and read from the other two. if any of the lengths are wrong, or any of the data uninitialised, or the wrong type pre-casting, you're absolutely hosed.

also i hope you remember which one is which because i didnt bother to name the parameters anything sensible and even if i did you cant annotate it at the call site so lol!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io posted:

you forgot the function pointers for the callbacks

• Locked thread