Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What exactly am I going to do with a bloodbug proboscis and bloatfly gland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lotish posted:

That, some irradiated water, and a molerat, and you got a stew going!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bicyclops posted:

That, some irradiated water, and a molerat, and you got a stew going!

Ah, the Flavortown special.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Or follow the mystery of why someone would try to kill you over what seems to be a worthless trinket. Or have a lot of professional pride, in classic "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" fashion. Or look at the contract in your inventory which says hired murderers will come after you if you fail to make your delivery and make a The Yikes Guy face.

I never said there was no motivation whatsoever, but the lone wanderer from FO3 seems like he has a much more personal stake in finding his dad than the courier does in finding the chip, at least at first before motives are learned and backstory is revealed.

Later on yeah I'll admit that the war and the dam and whatnot make the chip more important than the purifier, but when you're starting out the courier's motivation seems a lot shakier.

I'm always reminded of the Zero Punctuation review of FNV when people start talking about the courier's desire to chase down Benny.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah, an (alternate future dystopian) American classic.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

sout posted:

Good point: also they definitely won't, I don't see how they could.

from what i remember seeing at e3 it seems to plug into your phone when you slot it in? which is presumably how it gets the data to display the interface? so it could feasibly work if that's the case

i'm not totally misremembering the keynote am I? i'm positive it had a separate screen and wasn't just a thing with a rectangular hole in it that you clip your phone into

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I recommend that you actually play the things you're trying to talk about, then.

The first two Fallout games let you actually select pre-made characters with established backstories if you didn't want to make your own. In the first game, the entire reason you've left Vault 13 is so you can find a new water chip; you can even return to the Vault and do sidequests and beg for extra supplies. The water chip plot also has a hard time limit of 150 in-game days (extendable to 250 if you complete a sidequest) before you get an automatic game over from the Vault running out of water. It takes multiple in-game days to travel to locations, which means that time passes fast enough that there's actually a serious risk of running out of time if you get lost/confused or dick around in the sandbox too much. Even worse, the game has a hard time limit of 500 days from the very beginning of the game (400 if you extended the water chip quest's time limit) before mutants overrun the Vault and kill everyone. As before, you have a legitimate risk of failing because of timing out.

Fallout 2 removes this in favor of a hard-coded 13 in-game year time limit, but it bumps up the storyline's importance even more by adding a mandatory tutorial temple and several sidequests in the village that let you interact with your friends and family and better supply yourself before setting out. If you complete every single Arroyo sidequest and talk to everyone, it'll easily take longer to enter the sandbox than it does in Fallout 3.

And of course, neither of these games has alternate endings; no matter how immoral you wanted to be, the only way to get a proper ending that wasn't "And they all died, the end" was to complete the main quest in the way that was intended. You got ending slides showing what happened to the settlements just like in Fallout 3 and New Vegas and some of them were established by later games as canon (like the NCR flourishing and becoming a major power instead of dying out), but the main quest only had one way to complete it. You could slaughter the wasteland, but didn't get an actual ending unless you got the GECK for Arroyo or stopped the Master's super mutant army.

Bethesda gets poo poo on a lot by purists, but they really loosened the more restrictive parts of Black Isle's storytelling by actually letting you play in the sandbox all you want. And while you're forced to complete the main quest a certain way (though this is no different from its predecessors that get viewed with rose-colored lenses), Broken Steel adds the option to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel instead of the Enclave. This is the first instance of any kind of alternate ending that isn't just a fancy "game over, try again" screen.

Fine, fair enough, but my concerns about Fallout 4 still stand.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Generic Monk posted:

from what i remember seeing at e3 it seems to plug into your phone when you slot it in? which is presumably how it gets the data to display the interface? so it could feasibly work if that's the case

i'm not totally misremembering the keynote am I? i'm positive it had a separate screen and wasn't just a thing with a rectangular hole in it that you clip your phone into

It's a hole in some plastic on your arm.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

That special only has one value above 5 and it's a single 6.

Wtf :tinfoil: how's this gonna wooooork.

Everything starts at 1 and you get 21 points to spend.

Generic Monk posted:

I thought so to, but I just went to look for it and can't find it in the one shot I saw of the case open.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

That special only has one value above 5 and it's a single 6.

Wtf :tinfoil: how's this gonna wooooork.

Instead of being a 33 point buy system like all the other games (so enough for 5 in all stats with 5 freebie points), there's now only 21 points. So the most well rounded character will have 4's in every stat. This is probably because of the new perk system, where each perk seems to be tied to one of the SPECIAL stats. So instead of being able to max out 3 of the stats, you can only max 2 and thus only fill out 2 trees.

I have no idea if this will actually work.

Lotish posted:

Fill gland with drugs, attach proboscis to gland, and then use it to get high as gently caress?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I hope to god that the Shishkebab is craftable in 4.

It was so ridiculous and hilarious and awesome running around wearing an oven mitt and using a flaming sword.

Likewise I can't wait to see how customizable the flamer is. I always enjoyed the incinerator in 3 and NV, despite the fact that there were so many other options - it was just so much fun firing out explosive balls of flame and watching everything burn around me. Especially with the pyromaniac perk.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BlackLaser posted:

Everything starts at 1 and you get 21 points to spend.

That seems a lot lower then previous games. Am I crazy?

Well rounded is all 4s?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

That seems a lot lower then previous games. Am I crazy?

Well rounded is all 4s?

FO3 and FO4 had all seven stats start at 5, and gave you five extra, for a total of 40 total points. However in each of those raising the values of your SPECIAL stats were fairly rare; in 3 you had to find the bobbleheads, in 4 you have the implants, and both games had the intense training perks. It'd be very, very rare to have more than 50 total points since most people usually take intense training once or twice at most.

FO4 only gives you 7 points in each stat plus 21 to spend, so 28 total. Presumably this means you'll be earning extra points in some other manner akin to the intense training perks in 3/4, but we don't know yet. I can't imagine that they'd have us limited to half of what we were used to in previous games if there was no way to bring values up later on.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 17, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a hole in some plastic on your arm.

yeah seems like i got the wrong end of the stick during the keynote - the front part swings open and you can clip an iphone 6 in there. probably cost less to make than the plimsy-rear end pipboy clock that came with the last game. all the better to fleece you with i guess

https://youtu.be/HTq3q8e8nhA?t=17m45s

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Instead of being a 33 point buy system like all the other games (so enough for 5 in all stats with 5 freebie points), there's now only 21 points. So the most well rounded character will have 4's in every stat. This is probably because of the new perk system, where each perk seems to be tied to one of the SPECIAL stats. So instead of being able to max out 3 of the stats, you can only max 2 and thus only fill out 2 trees.

I have no idea if this will actually work.

Fill gland with drugs, attach proboscis to gland, and then use it to get high as gently caress?

Only after melting down a bunch of syringes to get metal to make the tip easier to hit a vein with

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, most of the games have started you with 5s in everything and then give you 5 points to spread around freely--in other words, 40 points, while this gives you 1 in everything for free and 21 points, which is 28.

e: f;b

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

yeah seems like i got the wrong end of the stick during the keynote - the front part swings open and you can clip an iphone 6 in there. probably cost less to make than the plimsy-rear end pipboy clock that came with the last game. all the better to fleece you with i guess

https://youtu.be/HTq3q8e8nhA?t=17m45s

It was that little loop of plastic on the right hand side that I thought was a cable.
Of course with Iphone and android having different interfaces that wouldn't work anyway...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
But these go up to eleven

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

khy posted:

FO3 and FO4 had all seven stats start at 5, and gave you five extra, for a total of 40 total points. However in each of those raising the values of your SPECIAL stats were fairly rare; in 3 you had to find the bobbleheads, in 4 you have the implants, and both games had the intense training perks. It'd be very, very rare to have more than 50 total points since most people usually take intense training once or twice at most.

FO4 only gives you 7 points in each stat plus 21 to spend, so 28 total. Presumably this means you'll be earning extra points in some other manner akin to the intense training perks in 3/4, but we don't know yet. I can't imagine that they'd have us limited to half of what we were used to in previous games if there was no way to bring values up later on.

I mean, if they're doing away with skills, they virtually have to include SPECIAL increases as part of the leveling up process, I'd guess. Who loving knows until we have some more information?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So will the PipBoy support older iPhone models? Can't find any info on that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, if they're doing away with skills, they virtually have to include SPECIAL increases as part of the leveling up process, I'd guess. Who loving knows until we have some more information?

Maybe they're bringing back the Morrowind system where every use of a skill counts as a small % of a modifier on the stat when you sleep, when you level up and pick a few SPECIAL to boost then everything resets

Maybe I'm just having a nightmare

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Praetorian Mage posted:

Fine, fair enough, but my concerns about Fallout 4 still stand.

Not really? Your concerns about Fallout 4 and its storyline have little to no concrete evidence (because the vast majority of the plot and characterization has been kept under wraps) and you had a really wrong interpretation of the past games because you didn't actually play some of the stuff you're trying to make claims about.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So will the PipBoy support older iPhone models? Can't find any info on that.

probably not

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

probably not

That's retarded. Not even the 6Plus? :lol:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Are there gonna be some write-ups or magazine articles about this game soon that give out new info?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Please do not buy an iPhone 6+ because of this game.

There shouldn't be any reason why the app wouldn't work on any smartphone, the only limiting factor for use in the pipboy casing should be the phone's dimensions.
Either way I won't be too bummed out, I'll probably opt to use the in-game menu anyway.
Don't think they've said anything about it yet though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

That's retarded. Not even the 6Plus? :lol:

tbf at least it's a physical size limitation rather than anything artificial. kind of a rip but it is a videogame collectors edition and therefore is designed to excel at one thing; extracting money from nerds

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Probably something akin to skyrim levelling. When you level up, you get 1 SPECIAL point to distribute and 1 perk point.

With a (potential) level cap of, say, 25 then you could have 53 total SPECIAL points at max, which would be fairly balanced overall.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

khy posted:

Could be something akin to skyrim levelling.

Level up, choose 1 SPECIAL point to distribute, choose a perk.

With a (potential) level cap of, say, 25 then you could have 53 total SPECIAL points at max, which wouldn't be unbalanced at all.

Well they obviously would have to adjust the stat balance anyway if they're overhauling it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

khy posted:

Probably something akin to skyrim levelling. When you level up, you get 1 SPECIAL point to distribute and 1 perk point.

With a (potential) level cap of, say, 25 then you could have 53 total SPECIAL points at max, which would be fairly balanced overall.

If that image is not total bullshit levels go up to 48+.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
I never play fallout with companions. I hope I can tell the dog to just stay the gently caress in his lovely little dog house.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

sout posted:

Well they obviously would have to adjust the stat balance anyway if they're overhauling it.

Agreed. I'm just saying that's one potential way they could have a lower overall stat start, but a higher overall finish. With some tweaking I'd even say a system like that would work great for FNV. Fewer initial points, a free 'Intense Training' perk granted per level, etc.

BlackLaser posted:

If that image is not total bullshit levels go up to 48+.

That would mean 47 free special points given my (probably incorrect) theory on levelling up, which would put all values at or above 10 when you reach max level. I'd say this is unbalanced but honestly whenever you get to or close to max level for 3/NV you're an unkillable demigod practically.

I'm curious about the shield/energy/rads counters there on the image. Shield could be armor but a value of 110 seems odd to me; DR going above 85% would be horribly broken and 110 DT would be sheer insanity. Energy would be... AP maybe? And rads at least is obvious.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday while playing fallout 3 I found a raider run mole rat ranch with cages and a tiny barbed wire fence under an overpass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sout posted:

Please do not buy an iPhone 6+ because of this game.

Don't buy it because it's the size of a housing brick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GirlBones posted:

I never play fallout with companions. I hope I can tell the dog to just stay the gently caress in his lovely little dog house.

You could in 3 and NV why do you think that's changed?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

sout posted:

Please do not buy an iPhone 6+

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Maxwellsdemon posted:

Yesterday while playing fallout 3 I found a raider run mole rat ranch with cages and a tiny barbed wire fence under an overpass.

Now you know what they eat!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
In the post presentation interview todd howard said the pip boy would come with several foam inserts to accomidate different phones.

Also happy you can sort your inventory now.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Not really? Your concerns about Fallout 4 and its storyline have little to no concrete evidence (because the vast majority of the plot and characterization has been kept under wraps) and you had a really wrong interpretation of the past games because you didn't actually play some of the stuff you're trying to make claims about.

I'm concerned that the "family man" backstory will play a major part in the plot (which seems likely, otherwise why would they bother with it) and that the new dialogue system will inhibit roleplaying by only showing you what your character will talk about rather than what he'll actually say (which we've already seen examples of). Whether or not I misinterpreted how the first two games did things has no bearing on what I think of what's been shown about the new game. And even if the first two games did things a certain way, that doesn't mean the fourth shouldn't be different.

I also happen to think that giving your character a child is a whole new level of attachment. I don't believe the first two games started you off as a parent, and I know for a fact that 3 and NV didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

sout posted:

Please do not buy an iPhone

• Locked thread