Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Which one, I heard like a million different versions.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

making beloved characters look as pathetic and lame as poor vegeta in BoG

Wasn't Vegeta the only dude other than Goku who actually hurt Beerus

And without SSG power too

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Webbeh posted:

First episode summary of DBS:
I want this to be a revisit of Roshi's training on the big island. Instant Transmission milk delivery, super saiyan field plowing and construction work. Other than hitting people it's the only way Goku knows how to make money.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I will never understand dbz fans that dont get the series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Bee posted:

quote:

but the movie helmet by toriyama

I just found this mistake amusing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know what a movie helmet is but I'd believe Toriyama has one.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The man does seem to have a passion for dumb head wear

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Guyver posted:

I want this to be a revisit of Roshi's training on the big island. Instant Transmission milk delivery, super saiyan field plowing and construction work. Other than hitting people it's the only way Goku knows how to make money.

Don't forget Goku (and Mr Buu) running into some random idiot in West City who is challenging people to fight them to earn money.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KoB posted:

Alot of DBZ is also people screaming really loud and getting gigantic muscles. Different people like different parts of it I guess

(I'm really glad they've dropped INSANE MUSCLE GAIN from power ups and transformations though, that always looked really garish and stupid imo)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pureauthor posted:

Wasn't Vegeta the only dude other than Goku who actually hurt Beerus

And without SSG power too

"Yes, but he did jokes, acted silly, and wasn't the stoic super badass from my nostalgia!" is what that guy would probably retort.

It's worth considering that most fans only know of DBZ and, maybe, GT and consider the series as a serious superhero action show and forget how often the show was humorous, parodied itself, and was outright silly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A Steampunk Gent posted:

(I'm really glad they've dropped INSANE MUSCLE GAIN from power ups and transformations though, that always looked really garish and stupid imo)

Disagree, Super Trunks uber alles

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Disagree, Super Trunks uber alles

Something both Cell and Trunks disagreed with by the end of his fight

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Makes me wonder how many people who watched DBZ know much about Dragon Ball.

Probably not too many.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Crosspeice posted:

Probably not too many.

Yeah, that number is super small. Remember that there were three or four attempts to bring Dragon Ball to the West and it wasn't successful until after DBZ was established.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Darko posted:

That is the best possible start to the series I could have hoped for. I bet you a lot of Dragon Ball "fans" are currently complaining about it on the Internet. I want the whole thing to just be slice of life stuff.

No True DBZ Fan

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KoB posted:

Most of them never read the manga or read/saw Dragon Ball. Two entirely different impressions can come from one series like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vegeta vs Super Saiyan Monkey Kakarot kicking off in DBM. This should be a fun one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The series is pretty different from the manag, and Z from Dragonball in a lot of ways, big ways too.

Just as an example, we always in the series have people powering up for minutes, standing around screaming and such... when in the manga it's a plot point that when fighting the Ginyus Goku can raise and lower his power level from piss-weak to insnatly stronger that Ginyu himself so quickly that the scouters don't even register the change. So I can see people having different views of the show.

That being said, gently caress the haters, this show is gonna own.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

He did have to actually power up and use the Kaioken to get higher than Ginyu, but yeah, the instantaneous power spikes were hugely relevant in everyone underestimating him.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Crosspeice posted:

Probably not too many.

Which is sad, because the Dragon Ball manga and anime especially are quite entertaining. Hell, the DB anime's filler blows most of Z's out of the water, and actually expands on the story and characters.

I've been watching it again recently with a more critical eye, and I absolutely adore what the anime did with the Red Ribbon Army's introduction. Bringing back the Ox King and Chi-chi for a while, having Pilaf more or less pass the torch of main villain off to RR while actually having moments of competence, and Silver and folks being an actual threat to Goku instead of being beaten like 5 seconds after being introduced. It's quite fun.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's important to state that the most popular parts of the "original" DB were the tournament/serious parts, and that the series eventually progressed to the more serious tone of DBZ well before Raditz fell on Earth. There's a reason why it went that way. While we can scoff at fans for not liking what Dragon Ball really is, the serious fights, muscle gains, and 'punchmans' (hate that term) are what made DBZ the entity it is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

facebook jihad posted:

It's important to state that the most popular parts of the "original" DB were the tournament/serious parts, and that the series eventually progressed to the more serious tone of DBZ well before Raditz fell on Earth. There's a reason why it went that way. While we can scoff at fans for not liking what Dragon Ball really is, the serious fights, muscle gains, and 'punchmans' (hate that term) are what made DBZ the entity it is.

It's actually impossible to enjoy the punchmans (great term), serious fights and gains and think that Dragonball is rad and cool while ALSO appreciating that it's a goofy as gently caress series where a monkey man learns kung fu of a space cricket by managing to tell a joke and that both elements are in fact what make it great and not be a giant grognard who throws a poo poo fit when Vegeta isn't an ultra badass all the time and maybe has to try and feed a space cat.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Prison Warden posted:

It's actually impossible to enjoy the punchmans (great term), serious fights and gains and think that Dragonball is rad and cool while ALSO appreciating that it's a goofy as gently caress series where a monkey man learns kung fu of a space cricket by managing to tell a joke and that both elements are in fact what make it great and not be a giant grognard who throws a poo poo fit when Vegeta isn't an ultra badass all the time and maybe has to try and feed a space cat.

I doubt many of my friends in middle school thought King Kai was the reason they liked the series

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

That's absolutely true, but even then, the tournaments and the big fights were way more creative and less "RRRRAAAAARRR MY POWER IS MAXIMUM" than they became in Z.

The very first tournament has some incredibly zany fights and even with the second tournament having Tenshinhan (the only serious character), we still had Krillin beating Chaozu with arithmetic, Goku stealing Roshi's shades and Goku moving his hands so fast it looked like he had 8 hands.

Goku vs King Piccolo is arguably the first really serious fight and the following tournament is also a lot less wacky, but the bulk of Dragonball, even after switching gears and establishing the shonen genre, is still hugely comedic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm a grown man hyped for Dragon Ball in the year 2015.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Some Numbers posted:

That's absolutely true, but even then, the tournaments and the big fights were way more creative and less "RRRRAAAAARRR MY POWER IS MAXIMUM" than they became in Z.

The very first tournament has some incredibly zany fights and even with the second tournament having Tenshinhan (the only serious character), we still had Krillin beating Chaozu with arithmetic, Goku stealing Roshi's shades and Goku moving his hands so fast it looked like he had 8 hands.

Goku vs King Piccolo is arguably the first really serious fight and the following tournament is also a lot less wacky, but the bulk of Dragonball, even after switching gears and establishing the shonen genre, is still hugely comedic.

and even then the third tournament has fights such as "God clowns Yamcha, including headbutting him in the junk"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Exercu posted:

and even then the third tournament has fights such as "God clowns Yamcha, including headbutting him in the junk"

Oh poo poo, that's right, God tookover a human and sharked his way into the Top 8 and then clowned Yamcha. How did I forget about that?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

He did have to actually power up and use the Kaioken to get higher than Ginyu, but yeah, the instantaneous power spikes were hugely relevant in everyone underestimating him.

Looking at my copy, what happens is Ginyu reveals he can alter his power like the earthlings, Goku kaio kens flashily and makes a deliberate point of telling them to watch their scouters. After the Ginyus notice Goku outstrips Ginyu, Goku says that that reading is nothing compared to him using his power in bursts, then switches off his kaio ken and tells Ginyu to give up because Goku doesn't want to waste time fighting him. Then Ginyu body switches him.

I guess you could read it either way but the impression I get is that Goku's moved beyond his garish display of the Kaioken and is purely using it in burst form now. It's been refined and incorporated into his general style. I can't wait to get to Freeza and see if it's used the same way there in the manga.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

Looking at my copy, what happens is Ginyu reveals he can alter his power like the earthlings, Goku kaio kens flashily and makes a deliberate point of telling them to watch their scouters. After the Ginyus notice Goku outstrips Ginyu, Goku says that that reading is nothing compared to him using his power in bursts, then switches off his kaio ken and tells Ginyu to give up because Goku doesn't want to waste time fighting him. Then Ginyu body switches him.

I guess you could read it either way but the impression I get is that Goku's moved beyond his garish display of the Kaioken and is purely using it in burst form now. It's been refined and incorporated into his general style. I can't wait to get to Freeza and see if it's used the same way there in the manga.

Yeah, that scene took a while in the anime, with Goku's power level jumping incrementally on the scouters.

I thought I remembered it still taking some time in the manga, but I guess not?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, that scene took a while in the anime, with Goku's power level jumping incrementally on the scouters.

I thought I remembered it still taking some time in the manga, but I guess not?

It's like 3 pages, and it's a chapter end /beginning which stretches stuff out time wise as well.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Pierson posted:

I'm a grown man hyped for Dragon Ball in the year 2015.

That's about the average audience that'll show up at the theater, if BoG was any indication.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So wait, it's confirmed then, Dragon Ball Super is a DBZ crossover with Silver Spoon?

Have I accidentally fallen into a far more beautiful world? Or are we all dying and this is how they ease us into the news?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

I doubt many of my friends in middle school thought King Kai was the reason they liked the series

fight mans vs super saiyan radish farming is like comparing bleach to one piece

sure bleach is more popular to americans, but who gives a gently caress because it's shallow, awful garbage

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Thunderbro posted:

sure bleach is more popular to americans, but who gives a gently caress because it's shallow, awful garbage

But most people liked Dragon Ball/DBZ when they were, like, twelve. It is a kids thing so it involves a kid's judgement (so a bunch of supermen fighting each other is awesome).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

You've outgrown Dragon Ball

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mycot posted:

But most people liked Dragon Ball/DBZ when they were, like, twelve. It is a kids thing so it involves a kid's judgement (so a bunch of supermen fighting each other is awesome).
Kids like silly cartoons too. People like Goku radish farming is hilarious and makes it all the more exciting when poo poo hits the fan, even to a kid. DBZ succumbed too much to serious tryhard screaming and flexing by the end, the Buu saga was really dull even as a kid.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You've outgrown Dragon Ball
Think you read that wrong, joke town owns

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Best part of the Buu saga was Hercule, as he always seemed like a self aware parody of the genre and having him almost succeed in making Fat Buu good and singlehandily saving the day was brilliant.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I enjoy the silly irreverant gag parts of Dragon Ball as well as the grim world-ending seriousness of DBZ, and while Toriyama didn't quite nail his attempt to combine the two in the Buu Saga, I still enjoy it a lot.

Dragon Ball is a good series.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
And finally, some concrete information on when DBS (first?) takes place:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/06/17/early-dragon-ball-super-story-details-in-august-2015-v-jump/

quote:

Dragon Ball Super is a gem of an original story, from an original draft provided by manga author Akira Toriyama-sensei! This series is a super tale that depicts what happens “afterwards” to Goku and the gang following the titanic battle with Majin Buu, and links up with the movies Battle of Gods and Revival of “F”!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I really dig the return to more adventure-based Dragonball narrative. DBZ is awesome but, for me, it kind of screwed the whole shonen genre.

• Locked thread