Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

a large share of an exec's actual job is to tell anyone who will listen that things are fine regardless of the reality

that's not how I've done the job, but that might be why I don't get to ride a unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

seriously surprised amway isn't doing better in the us right now but I think herbalife ate up a bunch of their business

theres a bunch of new school stuff.

my born-again ex-friend and his wife tore through:

-Scentsy
-Alkaline water
-Windows

on the MLM tip. Seriously they bought loving windows for their house on $100/mo payments and now if they ever flake a lien goes on their house lmfao

he tried to talk me into it on the grounds that 'he'd split the $200 referral fee with me"

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
California Labor Judge presents Silicon Valley

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[–]SFUber 0 points an hour ago
If they do leave CA, it won't be long before another company takes their place. There is still money to be made.

[–]drwuzer 1 point an hour ago
Is there? Uber has been operating in the red since they started up. They have yet to make a profit.

[–]12000inches [S] 1 point 41 minutes ago
I believe you're thinking of the drivers

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
now to jail the founders via RICO.. a person can dream, right?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

FCKGW posted:

:captainpop:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
glad to hear the law is finally catching up with uber. i can't help but feel like they'll find some way to get around this and survive, but this is pretty drat good

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

[–]SFUber 0 points an hour ago
If they do leave CA, it won't be long before another company takes their place. There is still money to be made.

[–]drwuzer 1 point an hour ago
Is there? Uber has been operating in the red since they started up. They have yet to make a profit.

lol, owned.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bhodi posted:

a large share of an exec's actual job is to tell anyone who will listen that things are fine regardless of the reality
when i was at the "what happened to blackberry" talk that's jim silly-balls said. he gave an anecdote about their patent fight with ntp that when it looked like they were going to lose he called other ceos and asked what he should do and they all told him "keep swinging and telling everyone it'll all be ok".

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mods change thread title to Ha ha, "society"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

it really would be nice, but no telling if this will hold up. uber, if they haven't already, will certainly appeal to a superior court. they've got two steps of appeal after that in ca alone and then a trip to the scotus. there's another case where last month a florida guy was successfully able to sue for unemployment insurance. this is still pending appeal as well.

i don't know if this would be scotus-eligible, but the appeals can definitely run for years. they'll just keep using their current strategy of "ignore the legal system, and once we're too big to fail, they'll have to let us keep doing our thing"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

mods change thread title to Ha ha, "society"

i dont really like this one, but ill be taking submissions for a new thread name. this one is old and sucky

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

that's not how I've done the job, but that might be why I don't get to ride a unicorn
did you ever actually make it to C-level?

since consolation prizes over at fb are still teslas, obv, you haven't done too bad

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Smythe posted:

i dont really like this one, but ill be taking submissions for a new thread name. this one is old and sucky

tech bubel: uber drivers are allegedly getting paid

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
has uber put out a press release response? I'm sure there's a topic-worthy sentence in there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

when i was at the "what happened to blackberry" talk that's jim silly-balls said. he gave an anecdote about their patent fight with ntp that when it looked like they were going to lose he called other ceos and asked what he should do and they all told him "keep swinging and telling everyone it'll all be ok".

link plz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Forums Terrorist posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

yah this is much better

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smythe posted:

tech bubble thread: somewhere there is a wall waiting for you

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

seriously surprised amway isn't doing better in the us right now but I think herbalife ate up a bunch of their business

amway is a borderline religious cult, hth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tech bubble thread: spent my series A on soylent and vape juice

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

these are the people who buy into pyramid schemes

half of them are farmed out social media coordinators maintaining a scripted message

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tech babble: temporarily embarrassed contractors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

did you ever actually make it to C-level?

yeah, though mostly VPE. not complaining about my career arc, certainly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

VC? more like WC hah hah !

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

amway is a borderline religious cult, hth

one of my friends' parents got sucked in through AA, apparently addicts are good targets for MLM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

one of my friends' parents got sucked in through AA, apparently addicts are good targets for MLM

both teach you to lean heavily in an emotional fashion on your family and friends for support

e: also that if you fail, you did so because you didnt put forth enough effort

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

did the thread talk about soylent dropping bitcoin as payment yet?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[–]traceratopz 4 points 37 minutes ago
I hope the drivers who want to be considered employees realize the BS that will come along with being an employee. We will be held to much higher standards than just a rating and acceptance rate. Can we say performance and consequence management? Set schedules? Set wages? A BOSS!? And the whole beauty of Uber is being able to work when you want. Those of you complaining about not being an Uber employee need to go get a real job and not ruin the sweet side gig that Uber is for those of us with legit full-time jobs. just sayin'.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i wonder how much money uber has in the bank. just wondering if they will be able to pay up when the class action awards 56 cents per mile to every CA driver since the start of the service.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

FCKGW posted:

I hope the drivers who want to be considered employees realize the BS that will come along with being an employee. We will be held to much higher standards than just a rating and acceptance rate. Can we say performance and consequence management? Set schedules? Set wages? A BOSS!? And the whole beauty of Uber is being able to work when you want. Those of you complaining about not being an Uber employee need to go get a real job and not ruin the sweet side gig that Uber is for those of us with legit full-time jobs. just sayin'.

:ughh: x 10000

what in the god drat gently caress do you think a rating and acceptance rate is if not performance/consequence management

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaigcd,.gcrpib.yxba.i.ixhmpuexd.uejNO CARRIER

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

i wonder how much money uber has in the bank. just wondering if they will be able to pay up when the class action awards 56 cents per mile to every CA driver since the start of the service.
they've received over 2 billion in funding so far but I think the people who gave them that would rather fold the company and deal with the ramifications than give that money to hoi polloi

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
set wages? who would ever want that kind of bullshit

somebody tell these morons about mturk.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

5.9 billion in funding total

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 17, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

they've received over 2 billion in funding so far but I think the people who gave them that would rather fold the company and deal with the ramifications than give that money to hoi polloi

oh man if they thought judges were grumpy about them trying to make up a new term for gypsy cabs they are going to be quite shocked with how pissed a judge would be if they tried to shuffle money around to avoid a judgement.

also here's a fun reminder that this is in the Handy "Terms of Service":

quote:

Handy is not an employment service and does not serve as an employer of any Professional. As such, we will not be liable for any tax or withholding, including but not limited to unemployment insurance, employer's liability, social security or payroll withholding tax in connection with your use of Professional Services. You understand and agree that if we are found to be liable for any tax or withholding tax in connection with your use of Professional Services, then you will immediately reimburse and pay to us an equivalent amount, including any interest or penalties thereon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

You understand and agree that if we are found to be liable for any tax or withholding tax in connection with your use of Professional Services, then you will immediately reimburse and pay to us an equivalent amount, including any interest or penalties thereon.
I wonder if at any point these guys' lawyers were like "you know this isn't even remotely enforceable, right?"

it's like legal fanfiction

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

qirex posted:

I wonder if at any point these guys' lawyers were like "you know this isn't even remotely enforceable, right?"

it's like legal fanfiction

hiring lawyers isn't disruptive enough

law.yr

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

yo this is just chicks that like yoga pants but dont want to be called basic bitches so they made up health goth

in the Land of Yearlong Yoga Pants, the health goth is king

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

gamergate gave $30,000 to a legal defense fund for some internet mra laid low by the matriarchy and they intentionally hired a "human rights lawyer" disbarred a few years ago for billing fraud. maybe uber can hire him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Nothing listed here is a requirement of employee status, other than being paid minimum wage.

But I don't expect an uber driver to really understand that. Or anything else, really.

• Locked thread