Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

stay depressed posted:

I don't understand what you guys want record stores to sell. You deride this place for having "dollar bin" records but that's all people seem to buy in this thread. If you're all going to keep buying those dadrock records you can't also act like selling them is some kind of mis-step. You're the ones creating the market. Isn't it a good thing that people are buying records at all?

if people are constantly picking them up from goodwill/thrift stores (which they are), why not pick them up from a nicer place with an organized curated selection and some level of quality control? is the negative reaction to this store some kind of thing where you'd rather have record stores be dusty piles of boxes so it feels more like "work" to dig out a soundtrack to The Sting and pay for it? it doesn't match your aesthetic but that doesn't make it a bad shop. I'd shop at that place if for some reason I needed a copy of Aja but didn't want to dig one out at the flea market that's got a huge gouge in the B side. You all openly shop at urban outfitters and hot topic for records so why is this place, a UO with no clothes, all the sudden bad?

This is a lot of generalizations about me based on one or two other posters that are not me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Do you understand what people actually buy? Yeah, everybody buys dollar bin records since, but it's mostly people not buying that stuff.

My big issue with this store is that they are taking this low end "dollar-bin" stuff and trying to enhance it's value because records are cool and by curating it, you can convince 20 or 30-somethings that buying Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits (an actual record in the bin) is a great idea. They're not actually serving the needs of the market. They're throwing in a lot of poo poo, and then trying to act like it's curated. But who in the hell has heard of Walter Murphy, and who the gently caress is dying to buy his Phantom of the Opera record?

Honestly, their selection reminds me of some of the worse records store I've gone to, where they've taken those goodwill records and try to make them seem cool because they're records. They're trying to hard to be cool, and it feels like they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

As for stores like Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic, if you lived in certain areas, those were the best places to get records since they were the only ones who stocked a regular amount of them. There might not be a record store nearby to get records.

Running a record store is hard, and frankly, they just seem amateurish. It would be like if someone started a retro-videogame store, but only stocked copies of Home Alone 2 for the NES and other games of that caliber. I don't need a store that specializes in that cheap poo poo. You want a store that's going to have cool stuff, like 12 inch singles by Prince or something like that.

Also, their way of stocking music would make shopping there a nightmare. You would have to know whether the music you're looking for is a "Dinner Party" album or a "Between the Sheets" album.

Also, a lot of the hate comes from the bate and switch they pull on their consumers from the Kickstarter, and the fact that they tried to pass off a lot of forgettable 70s and 80s adult contemporary music as something that would appeal to a lot of their consumers.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What city has a loving Urban Outfitters but not a record shop?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

This is a lot of generalizations about me based on one or two other posters that are not me.

I'm not singling you out if that was unclear I apologize for the confusion.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

It's as true now as it was then.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

All Collectors Are Bastards

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mike_V posted:

What city has a loving Urban Outfitters but not a record shop?

Back when I lived in Jersey, there was an Urban Outfitters by me, but the closest good record shop was about 40-50 minutes away down in Central Jersey.

Granted, it was loving Vintage Vinyl, which was and is an amazing store. Great selection, huge size, and if you wanted something, you could easily find it. If you can stop by, you totally should. The only thing that sucked was that their used LPs weren't organized, but I'm guessing they moved fast enough that organizing them was a waste of time.

So yes, if you were a teenager, you'd go to Urban Outfitters. But it was always worth the drive down to Vintage for me.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Domovoyd - S/T. Finnish psych doom.

Open the gate.

Lyric/art booklet.

Wounded Giant - Lightning Medicine. Went and saw these awesome Seattle doom dudes in Portland, Maine on Friday. Super cool guys that killed it. Picked up the vinyl after the show.

Insert.

From what I understand, the white version is only available directly from the band.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone pick up any of the Air re-releases today? Quality? Packaging?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCdsyCWmt8

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I can take pics if you want. I got Moon Safari, 10,000Hz Legend, Virgin Suicides and Talkie Walkie.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 17, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Picked up the new Mutoid Man at their Rock and Roll Hotel (DC) show last night. Good album, nice sleeve art

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
YMMV, but the Urban Outfitters by me had some good clearance vinyl. New Twin Shadow, DFA1979, Parquet Courts, Bleeding Rainbow, and a Major Lazer EP all $9.99 or less. They also had copies of Deja Entendu in stock.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Schremp Howard posted:

YMMV, but the Urban Outfitters by me had some good clearance vinyl. New Twin Shadow, DFA1979, Parquet Courts, Bleeding Rainbow, and a Major Lazer EP all $9.99 or less. They also had copies of Deja Entendu in stock.

Isn't that Deja Nintendo? :classiclol:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell posted:

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I can take pics if you want. I got Moon Safari, 10,000Hz Legend, Virgin Suicides and Talkie Walkie.

Please do!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Please do!!

Sure thing!

Does anyone have any advice on which pressings of Mr. Bungle albums I should grab? Some of the reviews on Amazon have me worried, and I'd rather not drop $30 on an album that's going to sound like poo poo.

e: looks like a year ago Patton said band-approved reissues are happening in 2015, so guess I'll wait and see what happens there

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 17, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone have any advice on which pressings of Mr. Bungle albums I should grab? Some of the reviews on Amazon have me worried, and I'd rather not drop $30 on an album that's going to sound like poo poo.
Apparently the Paper Bag pressings are digitally sourced whereas the Music on Vinyl releases that came out earlier in the year are sourced from the master tapes, but they're a UK label - they're fairly common in record stores, but they're $40 a pop. I don't know if there's a US pressing on the way, though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Abu Dave posted:

Copy of Playground Love came in. Sleeve and plastic/paper sheath, and the record itself is pretty solid.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it sound like a remaster?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Don't know how the original press sounded, but this one sounds clear as day.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!
Finally finished off my Bowie collection with this Music on Vinyl re-issue of "Hours".

Is it a re-issue if it never came out on vinyl in the first place?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

A pretty good 30% off sale on everything at insound.com right now if you're into that kinda thing. Includes turntables and all that kinda stuff too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Per request, here are some pics of the Air reissues. Amazon messed up my order a bit, sent Premiers Symptomes instead of Talkie Walkie, and Moon Safari was delayed a day.

Only listened to 10,000Hz Legend so far, and while I can't tell for sure if it was remastered, it does sound a hell of a lot better than my CD.

Glad that this is 2 albums, just wish it was gatefold instead.

Those are cutouts on the cover.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, glad they kept the cut outs. Thanks for the photos man.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

fac53 posted:

Finally finished off my Bowie collection with this Music on Vinyl re-issue of "Hours".

Is it a re-issue if it never came out on vinyl in the first place?

Mine is supposedly shipping soon, did yours come from Amazon?

Also does that mean you have Black Tie White Noise?? That's the last big hole in my collection.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Amazon's doing a buy 2 get 1 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1003013961

They beefed up some of the prices, but the savings are still decent.

According to Reddit, if you select two records you like and add either this version of Angles by the Strokes (http://www.amazon.com/Angles-Vinyl-...SKTP2XVTH9TJ5CY) or this copy of Origin of Symmetry by Muse (http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Symmet...gin+of+symmetry) to your cart, then delete Angles or Origin from your cart once you proceed to the checkout page and the B2G1 kicks in, there's a glitch where one of the records remains free and it turns into a B1G1.

It works, I got a Modest Mouse and a Broken Bells for $17 combined.

Schremp Howard posted:

Is this one of those in-store YMMV things? I don't see anything online. The Physical World is a loving great record and I haven't seen it under $30 anywhere. I'd love to pick it up for $10.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 19, 2015

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Does the total update automatically before you checkout? I can't seem to get any combination of three records to display as B2G1; everything is just full price.

edit: Figured it out, thanks!

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 19, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

1000 umbrellas posted:

Does the total update automatically before you checkout? I can't seem to get any combination of three records to display as B2G1; everything is just full price.

Need to be in-stock and shipped from Amazon and not a third party. Most stuff is out of stock.

Managed to pick up OK Computer, Broken Bells After the Disco, and the Blueprint for $42.

edit: Correction, I just got it to work with the Out of Stock / Backordered from Amazon.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 19, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CRINDY posted:

Amazon's doing a buy 2 get 1 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1003013961

According to Reddit, if you select two records you like and add either this version of Angles by the Strokes (http://www.amazon.com/Angles-Vinyl-...SKTP2XVTH9TJ5CY) or this copy of Origin of Symmetry by Muse (http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Symmet...gin+of+symmetry) to your cart, then delete Angles or Origin from your cart once you proceed to the checkout page and the B2G1 kicks in, there's a glitch where one of the records remains free and it turns into a B1G1.

Is this one of those in-store YMMV things? I don't see anything online. The Physical World is a loving great record and I haven't seen it under $30 anywhere. I'd love to pick it up for $10.

Thanks, this worked. I picked up Hello Nasty and Ill Communication for $30, and then a Weird Al and Cyndi Lauper together for $18. They were all backordered though, so I guess we'll see if Amazon takes that opportunity to cancel it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

CRINDY posted:

Excellent! Grabbed The Bends and Jack White Lazaretto for $21. Thanks!

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Millions posted:

Mine is supposedly shipping soon, did yours come from Amazon?

Also does that mean you have Black Tie White Noise?? That's the last big hole in my collection.

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK and it came way faster than they predicted.

Nah, I don't have Black Tie White Noise. I should have been clearer than "my Bowie collection" is everything from Space Oddity through Let's Dance, and then Outside through The Next Day.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Millions posted:

u got a copy of Laughing Gnome 1967 Deram Belgium picture sleeve 45?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

fac53 posted:

Nah, I don't have Black Tie White Noise. I should have been clearer than "my Bowie collection" is everything from Space Oddity through Let's Dance, and then Outside through The Next Day.

hey, black tie white noise has enough good tracks to be worth owning :colbert:

hell, even Tonight and Never Let Me Down do. "Time Will Crawl" rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMhMaNAmT-U

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my copy of Talkie Walkie in today, and it's a loving mess. First track is un-listenable, pops and skips everywhere.

e: Amazon threw up a warning and stopped selling the album. Looks like a big batch are defective.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 19, 2015

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Checked out a local Urban and they are indeed doing a $9.99 clearance sale. Might be worth a look. I saw the following records (and yes I posted this on Reddit too shut up):

Brian Eno
Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
Family of the Year - Loma Vista
Cults
Kiesza - Sound of a Woman
Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World
Andrew Bird
Twin Shadow - Eclipse (white record)
Blood Orange and Solange
AWOLNATION - Run
Eagulls
Ex Cops - True Hallucinations
The Hives - Lex Hives
a Burial single
JEFF the Brotherhood - Hypnotic Nights
Albert Hammond Jr. - AHJ (5-song EP, $6.99)
Divine Fits
Black Lips - Underneath The Rainbow
an entire rack of Iggy Azalea - The New Classic and Reclassified, jesus loving christ Iggy how did you flame out this badly
Jay-Z - Vol 3: The Life And Times of Sean Carter
Mat Kearney
Major Lazer - Apocalypse Soon (orange/green vinyl)
and Band of Horses - Mirage Rock

I picked up DFA and Twin Shadow. The DFA is slightly warped, though it doesn't have any problems playing. The Twin Shadow is white, which was a nice surprise. In the last 24 hours I've picked up four good-to-great records for under $40 thanks to abusing that Amazon B1G1, so I'm quite happy with my recent haul. I've also grabbed:
Broken Bells self-titled and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before We Finished Typing Out This Album Title from Amazon;
the new Hot Chip, which is strangely 150g in the standard edition and feels a bit flimsy;
the repress of RTJ1, which is more orange than gold (and has some lovely surface noise at the end of "Run The Jewels," which sucks because I'm pretty sure that's a problem with this pressing in general so I don't think a replacement copy would fix anything);
and Arcade Fire's Neon Bible and Spoon's They Want My Soul, the last two from trading in some impulse buys, in the last month.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CRINDY posted:

In store. That way you get to browse their "vintage" record selection, where you can buy a worn copy of Genesis' self-titled for $12.

E: Insound is terrible for not having a alphabetical by artist sorting option.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 19, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

In store. That way you get to browse their "vintage" record selection, where you can buy a worn copy of Genesis' self-titled for $12.

E: Insound is terrible for not having a alphabetical by artist sorting option.

Insound is pretty garbage in general. There are so many better sites to go to if you're buying records online.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Vinyl newbie -
Just bought a new copy of Daft Punk's Discovery, and there's awful skips right out of the package on most of the tracks. I'm not using a high-end turntable by any means, but our beat-up second-records play perfectly.
Did I just get a lemon, or do new records need to be cleaned?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Vinyl newbie -
Just bought a new copy of Daft Punk's Discovery, and there's awful skips right out of the package on most of the tracks. I'm not using a high-end turntable by any means, but our beat-up second-records play perfectly.

Check your needle, check the surface, give the record itself a once-over. It could be the records, it could be your turntable (if you're new to this, it's probably your turntable, what model/brand is it?), it could be a weird pressing. Though Discovery is probably in my top 10 most-spun records, and I've only had issues when I had accidentally hosed up my needle, getting a replacement fixed things right up.

In other news, Amazon sent me Outkast's Aquemini instead of Broken Bells' self-titled from that buy 2 get 1/buy 1 get 1 Amazon sale. I talked to customer service and they told me to keep Aquemini (which is dope, because it's loving Aquemini) and they're shipping out a copy of Broken Bells as well. So I somehow turned a buy 2 get 1 into a buy 1 get 1 into a buy 1 get 2. Considering I've been trying to limit my record shopping budget, the fact that I've gotten 5 new records for $38 in the last two days is pretty drat nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

Vinyl newbie -

Make sure your tracking force is set properly because that can cause the stylus to jump right out of the grooves. If that's not the issue it's entirely possible that the record is just a bad pressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hatter106 posted:

Vinyl newbie -

I had the same problem with a Metallica reissue I bought from the Best Buy sell off a couple years ago.