Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Question : what are the later faction missions / questlines like? Which of them is the most likely to accomplish what they want? Who is the biggest dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Exmond posted:

So are scenarios worth it? My buddy is playing catch up and hasn't done tokyo yet so Im putting a pause on my tokyo activites. I need to do something else in the mean time and took a look at augments. While they seem like such a grind there are some nice augments out there (heal x% of your total health every time you use this ability?)

Do not grow accustomed to group content. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

You don't get much for the solo versions, unless you're soloing Group Elite, in which case you get a decent amount but need to be very purple.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Exmond posted:

So are scenarios worth it? My buddy is playing catch up and hasn't done tokyo yet so Im putting a pause on my tokyo activites. I need to do something else in the mean time and took a look at augments. While they seem like such a grind there are some nice augments out there (heal x% of your total health every time you use this ability?)

The only augments I really felt were worth it were the ones that increase the base stats (hp, heal and damage) by 150 once fully upgraded. Regarding the scenarios, I suggest avoid them if you are thinking about doing them alone. They were pretty horrible alone. I paid funcom :10bux: to avoid that whole mess after I tried for a few days. To pay for the augments I wanted, I ground the issue missions that drop blue signets and sold them in the auction house.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 17, 2015

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

TracerM17 posted:

The only augments I really felt were worth it were the ones that increase the base stats (hp, heal and damage) by 150 once fully upgraded.
Just to point out: these ones are really cheap on the AH, and you can buy the kits too. Scenarios are about as frustrating as the Bank Heist mission and the augment drop rates are pretty terrible, I don't recommend actually doing them.

Although I once got the gold DPS augment as a drop and sold it for a purple signet of laceration which I still haven't used on anything

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Innerguard posted:

Question : what are the later faction missions / questlines like? Which of them is the most likely to accomplish what they want? Who is the biggest dick?

Still looking for input. Just trying to gauge what things feel like later. Like, the willing joining of the templars, the abduction by the dragon etc. Does the faction attitude change later?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Innerguard posted:

Still looking for input. Just trying to gauge what things feel like later. Like, the willing joining of the templars, the abduction by the dragon etc. Does the faction attitude change later?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but in storyline terms, the . .Dragon. . appears to have the upper hand over the other two PC factions by the end of the latest release, with a definite change in the way the faction operates. However, none of this actually matters much in terms of gameplay.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but in storyline terms, the . .Dragon. . appears to have the upper hand over the other two PC factions by the end of the latest release, with a definite change in the way the faction operates. However, none of this actually matters much in terms of gameplay.

Yeah, I'm just trying to find out what the factional story is like later on in the game (i.e past kingsmouth) to see which one is better suited.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dragon seem to be the most clued up and in the strongest position to influence stuff, but their briefings and text can feel kinda dull. Illuminati constantly poo poo on and make you look like a dufus but that might be your thing. :v:

Not sure about the Templar.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Just pick the one with the best outfits and don't worry about it. You can always make alts/look at the cutscenes on Youtube.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

Dragon seem to be the most clued up and in the strongest position to influence stuff, but their briefings and text can feel kinda dull. Illuminati constantly poo poo on and make you look like a dufus but that might be your thing. :v:

Not sure about the Templar.

The Illuminati handler is seriously the best. Valley girl snark :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Illuminati handler is seriously the best. Valley girl snark :allears:

She was just out of college and had killed a man. What did you expect her to do? Joining a secret society was the only real option.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So I finished Mortal Sins and then didn't pick up the game again for years. What's the recommended progression after that, and how soon can I get to Tokyo? Right now I'm just failing at Scenarios.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Innerguard posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to find out what the factional story is like later on in the game (i.e past kingsmouth) to see which one is better suited.

The attitudes of each faction stay consistent. If one of them felt like the right choice through Kingsmouth, odds are it'll feel right through the rest of the game.

The Dragon are the only ones to explicitly abduct you in the introduction, but for the rest of the game thus far you have the most apparent freedom of all the factions, as far as I can tell. Your orders are almost always "go to this place and... just figure it out already, jeez." The implication is that their chaos-theory mouths-sewn-shut PC-Baang human calculators have you figured out well enough that they put you in places where you'd be the most useful doing what you'd do.

On the other hand, Dragon don't get the Pyramidion. I really can't undersell the Pyramidion.

Zephonith posted:

Although I once got the gold DPS augment as a drop and sold it for a purple signet of laceration which I still haven't used on anything

:hfive:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Cheston posted:

On the other hand, Dragon don't get the Pyramidion. I really can't undersell the Pyramidion.

Some of the Illuminati stuff is really nice (like how they seem to e tied into every conspiracy theory ever, MK Ultra etc etc) but as well-acted as Geary is their hole vibe turns me off. Call me boring but it feels wrong working for basically an evil shadow cabal.

I might try a Templar this time.

SockPuppet
Oct 31, 2005

DELIBERATELY BARREN
I need some advice - I already have the base game and I'm most of the way through Cairo, I was thinking of picking up the expansions, but it looks like you can only buy the last 3 from what I can see on Steam and the TSW website. Is my best bet to pick up the ultimate edition that has all of the expansions on sale for $42 ? How often is it on sale? I mean I'm curious to see more content, but I still have main content to play that I haven't finished yet and $42 might be too much to pay just to satisfy my vague curiosity in the plot...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WarLocke posted:

Some of the Illuminati stuff is really nice (like how they seem to e tied into every conspiracy theory ever, MK Ultra etc etc) but as well-acted as Geary is their hole vibe turns me off. Call me boring but it feels wrong working for basically an evil shadow cabal.

They are all evil shadow cabals. :ssh: Lumies just own it a bit more.

Really, they got the Lovecraftian angle of mankind being small and insignificant right, because almost no one actually cares about the little people, save the little people themselves and their goals are still self-interested. The biggest protectors of "humanity" are a bunch of statues in the desert, and that's still terrible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SockPuppet posted:

I need some advice - I already have the base game and I'm most of the way through Cairo, I was thinking of picking up the expansions, but it looks like you can only buy the last 3 from what I can see on Steam and the TSW website. Is my best bet to pick up the ultimate edition that has all of the expansions on sale for $42 ? How often is it on sale? I mean I'm curious to see more content, but I still have main content to play that I haven't finished yet and $42 might be too much to pay just to satisfy my vague curiosity in the plot...

You get the issues from the in game store I think. I'm not 100% on that because mine autobuy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just noticed I got 1200 points for completing 30 missions. Is there anything else like that? I'd love the Chopper but it's expensive for what it is.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

WarLocke posted:

Templars make you feel like you're in MI6 most of the time. Sonnet is a good dude, great voice actor and he doesn't throw up the whole cloud of bullshit the other handlers use, he speaks very plainly and is very much to the point while still being eloquent. You can tell he isn't a fan of his bosses but he believes in the mission so he won't waiver.

The best flavor part of the temps is in the library across from the the hall. The librarian and the two twins he hangs out with have some really cool and fully voiced stories to tell that offer a lot of depth to the game world.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

poptart_fairy posted:

Just noticed I got 1200 points for completing 30 missions. Is there anything else like that? I'd love the Chopper but it's expensive for what it is.

No.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't forget the chopper comes with sprint speed upgrades. They're around 1.6m pax (unless my memory is failing me really badly) and they make such a huge difference to movement speed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I thought the new sprints were something ridiculous like 10mil pax for sprint 6?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

I thought the new sprints were something ridiculous like 10mil pax for sprint 6?
They probably are, I didn't realise there was anything past IV. Anyway, purchasing the bike gives you at least IV and you get to hang out with Moose again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mercurius posted:

They probably are, I didn't realise there was anything past IV. Anyway, purchasing the bike gives you at least IV and you get to hang out with Moose again.

That last bit is making it really tempting to throw some more money at the game. The motorcycle doesn't really fit my main, though.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Do leech builds suck in Tokyo or something? Heard mention the last few pages.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Is there any way to skip some of this dialogue? Like, is there a bound key I can press or something?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Amante posted:

You can't leech from damage done to AEGIS shields.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unfortunately not. Makes flavour dialogue with NPCs a pain in the arse.

Also, is Kaoru intersexed or transgender? I can't figure that out even after talking to Ricky.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

You can't leech from damage done to AEGIS shields.
Well poo poo. There goes my favorite soloing build when I come back :(

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

poptart_fairy posted:

Unfortunately not. Makes flavour dialogue with NPCs a pain in the arse.

Also, is Kaoru intersexed or transgender? I can't figure that out even after talking to Ricky.

She's a giant worm so possibly both genders?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Incy posted:

She's a giant worm so possibly both genders?

:stare:

e; Did crafting ever get made worth a drat?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 20, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Generally if you can't find/don't want to grind for a dungeon blue your best bet is crafting one yourself, so maybe? I'm breaking greens from Transylvania down so I can make something to replace an accessory I got from Darkness War Normal and have been using ever since.

I mean, crafting is definitely worth a single drat, I don't know about multiple.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Amante posted:

My solo mission builds always include a fair bit of pen/crit based heals, but leech does most of the leg work. Once my aegis stuff got upgraded a bit, mob shields don't last more than 2-3 hits. Once their shields are down the leech kicks in and heals up anything that I lost while knocking out their shields. The big mobs with larger shields usually have projected attacks that I can avoid while I whittle down it's shields. Worst comes to worse I have to chug a heal potion or use some healing curious/trinkets (whatever they are).

E: I've also been using anima burst(?) lately for my builder, which is 50/50 heal and leech, so that helps. The only draw back is forced walk speed while using it.

Dareon posted:

That last bit is making it really tempting to throw some more money at the game. The motorcycle doesn't really fit my main, though.

I don't think the motorcycle is well done at all and it doesn't fit in with the game as a whole. I just use the dead sprint you get as a reward for nitro'ing your motorcycle over the bridge in Transylvania and forget the motorcycle exists.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Using the necromancer deck as a base, would I be better suited just boosting attack power to heal in groups or would I need a second set of gear? I don't really understand what effects Leech.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
What society are the people still playing this with? Or does that not matter for grouping, only pvp?

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

WarLocke posted:

What society are the people still playing this with? Or does that not matter for grouping, only pvp?

Only pvp.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Using the necromancer deck as a base, would I be better suited just boosting attack power to heal in groups or would I need a second set of gear? I don't really understand what effects Leech.

The percentage leeched is affected by Heal rating, and the damage portion is affected by Attack rating. You'll need a percentage of the gear to be heal rating for group healing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The percentage leeched is affected by Heal rating, and the damage portion is affected by Attack rating. You'll need a percentage of the gear to be heal rating for group healing.

The percentages for max leech healing are about 55% HR, 45% AR. This is slanted a bit more towards HR at lower gear levels. And, as always, doesn't work in the No Fun Zone.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Is there an active goon cabal and if not, would somebody like to join one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I would be a lot more compelled to come back if there were a semi-active goon cabal or two. Playing with chill goons was a big part of what made me love the game so much in the first place (and I'm probably not the only one). Without a good crew, it just feels kinda... empty.

• Locked thread