Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

i wonder how much money uber has in the bank. just wondering if they will be able to pay up when the class action awards 56 cents per mile to every CA driver since the start of the service.

they're not going to bother, there's no point to uber if it actually has to pay any expenses. pretty sure the people running uber will just cash out and run, let the company collapse under the weight of its employment lawsuits, and start uberdriverless six months later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

[–]cpvazxt 15 points 5 hours ago
Eventually bitcoins will take over, and the companies that coordinate the pickup will be off-shored. At that point, it won't matter a gently caress
what the state of CA thinks, and all the workers will be paid tax free.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

well that might work if uber had a remote control drone car.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

uber has responded

quote:

“Reuters’ original headline was not accurate. The California Labor Commission’s ruling is non-binding and applies to a single driver,” a spokesperson said. “Indeed it is contrary to a previous ruling by the same commission, which concluded in 2012 that the driver ‘performed services as an independent contractor, and not as a bona fide employee.’ Five other states have also come to the same conclusion. It’s important to remember that the number one reason drivers choose to use Uber is because they have complete flexibility and control. The majority of them can and do choose to earn their living from multiple sources, including other ride sharing companies.”

http://gizmodo.com/uber-drivers-in-california-will-be-considered-employees-1711956394

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

qirex posted:

seriously surprised amway isn't doing better in the us right now but I think herbalife ate up a bunch of their business

juice+ is hiring in memphis but i can't bring myself to apply

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

money to hoi polloi
:eyepop:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

even the wwe subreddit is weighing in

Could the recent decision against Uber in CA impact WWE's classification of independent contractors? (self.SquaredCircle)
submitted 31 minutes ago by Thecalvincoolidge

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
THEY WERE EMPLOYEES ALL ALONG, AUSTIN

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well it is garbage and the last time someone challenged them on that it only got thrown out because the guy in question (Raven) hadn't worked there for years

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.vvcnetwork.ca/empireclub/20150609

The anecdote starts at about 26:00

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

yeah, thats how I read it. This ONE person is considered an 'employee' who's prolly gonna get fired soon for not being a goot 'fit' not "every drivers in california is an employee".

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

Tech bubble thread: spent my series A on soylent and vape juice

pretty good

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
tech bubble: 99 problems but a pitch ain't one

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

qirex posted:

I wonder if at any point these guys' lawyers were like "you know this isn't even remotely enforceable, right?"

it's like legal fanfiction

someone, somewhere will write it up/defend it for you. rule 36 for law, long as the check clears.

ed: but i have to admit, i cant decide if they have a) no lawyers, or b) very good lawyers

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

someone explain whether im still supposed to rejoice.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

crusader_complex posted:

someone, somewhere will write it up/defend it for you. rule 36 for law, long as the check clears.

ed: but i have to admit, i cant decide if they have a) no lawyers, or b) very good lawyers

what does your heart tell you?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

refleks posted:

what does your heart tell you?

i guess i think its b)

the founders are probably going to make out like bandits, and suffer no consequences

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

yeah, thats how I read it. This ONE person is considered an 'employee' who's prolly gonna get fired soon for not being a goot 'fit' not "every drivers in california is an employee".

i'll take 'legal precedents' for $1099, alex

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i'll take 'legal precedents' for $1099, alex

pretty good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"i don't understand why they're not independent contractors. they're told by an agency where to go and what to do and can sign up for shifts just like every other independent contractor. i think they're going to put a lot of people out of work by doing this" --my dad

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

loving common law, how does it work?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh man this is great

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

tom friedman

quote:

Given the incredible power that new technologies give both governments and terrorists we need a strong American Civil Liberties Union and a strong National Security Agency. In a cyberage, you should want an A.C.L.U. watching the watchers. But you should also want an N.S.A. watching the superempowered, cyberempowered angry people. Civil liberties absolutists may think the 9/11 era is over, but do the jihadist fanatics who use Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp as their command and control system? We need to worry about Big Terrorist and Big Criminal as much as Big Brother if we want to prevent another 9/11.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Forums Terrorist posted:

tech bubel: uber drivers are allegedly getting paid

tech bubel: uber drivers: allegedly getting paid, allegedly getting laid

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Virion posted:

tech bubel: uber drivers allegedly getting plaid

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

tom friedman

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tech michael buble

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

tech michael buble

tech budgie

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

just normalize dazzle camo makeup

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

daft punk railroad posted:

THEY WERE EMPLOYEES ALL ALONG, AUSTIN

I don't think McMahon would say something like that.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Smythe posted:

Future Style Prediction: Sexy gothpunks with cybermanced implants. Lithe girls in 4 inch lucite heels have chains from their bull ring to their navel piercing. everyone gets the jane from daria haircut

Reality: Girthy MRA PUAs manspread on an underfunded light rail line while reading hate speech on a 4.6" black rectangle

god bless you smythe

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Tech Bublé: Save the last round for me

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Wild EEPROM posted:

tech michael buble

hey i did this like twenty pages ago

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

tech bubel: hey i did this like twenty years ago

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

21 Grahams

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Nice!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dessert Rose posted:

hey i did this like twenty pages ago

20 pages ago was only like 3 days ago i was on this like 6 months ago

still waiting for my vc money for my idea though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Virion posted:

congratulations you got the joke. congrats

• Locked thread