Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

donate my $800 racing seat and steering wheel and H-pattern shifter to a worthy cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ2hTwj767k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xzzy posted:

Yeah I'd spend hours in Forza changing settings on the fly and getting feel for how it all fit together. Then it saves and you're done. They never really figured out how to store track-specific configs so you were more or less forced to run with a middle of the road config, but it worked well enough.

Tuning in pcars is like winning ring toss at a carnival.

They did have track specific configs, in that you could save as many tuning setups as you wanted, and you could name them whatever you want. If you shared the tuning setup in the marketplace you could even select the environment and track variant the setup was for. It just didn't automatically change it based on what track you were on, but you could do that yourself at the start of the race session.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yes that is annoying how I can't adjust in the fly without pitting and the stupid game doesn't even save. Still like pcars better than forza tho lol come at me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yes that is annoying how I can't adjust in the fly without pitting and the stupid game doesn't even save. Still like pcars better than forza tho lol come at me

Porsche Porsche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk I will play forza on your grave some day

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Nostratic posted:

Forza 3 was pretty drat fun. Using auto upgrade is a sin against humanity even if you don't know what you're doing, though. I thought tuning was pretty accessible for the average person, and you could get a good setup with a little experimentation.

It was definitely easier than Pcars as you could tune, track it, tweak it again, etc really easily. If Pcars did that (and actually retained the changes), drat...

Oh. In that case, I should probably revisit Forza 3.

BUT ON TOPIC, I tried one of the Bentleys from the DLC pack and... yeah. Either they're wonky around curvy tracks- let's say Thief Mile- or the new patches reverted FFB or did something to it. Then again, I do wind up having much more stability if I don't leadfoot it.

Tintifax
Aug 16, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

If I ever take gaming that seriously please just shoot me and donate my $800 racing seat and steering wheel and H-pattern shifter to a worthy cause.

Rather than boasting about a 5$ app I actually wanted to point out the inconsistency of not showing tyre wear info in the game but making it available for 3rd party apps...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GutBomb posted:

They did have track specific configs, in that you could save as many tuning setups as you wanted, and you could name them whatever you want. If you shared the tuning setup in the marketplace you could even select the environment and track variant the setup was for. It just didn't automatically change it based on what track you were on, but you could do that yourself at the start of the race session.

Right, but the game had issues dealing with cases where installed upgrades conflicted with tuning parameters. Like if you tried to load a tune with custom gear ratios and the car didn't have a modifiable gearbox the game just told you to gently caress off. Memories are fuzzy but I don't think they addressed that until FM4.

In general it was always easier to have multiple copies of the same car configured for a purpose.

Granted, pcars isn't much better because so much of it flat out doesn't work, but I do like their intentions.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tintifax posted:

*looks at the HUD Dash tyre-wear indicator on my phone* :smuggo:

I hope ur fast lmao

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tintifax posted:

*looks at the HUD Dash tyre-wear indicator on my phone* :smuggo:

YOU'RE UNDER ARREST. USING YOUR PHONE WHILE DRIVING IS NOW ILLEGAL.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Magic glue grass and physics-defying quicksand? No thanks.

Such a race killer. Two millimeters of tire off the track? INSTASTOP, driver dies of basilar skull fracture.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Still not sure what you guys are talking about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's the Forza quicksand they put in to stop players cutting chicanes. You'd just magically drop to 5 mph in a couple feet no matter how fast you were going.

Purely an exploit prevention because before that fix was put in, people would just ramp over the curbs and laugh to the finish line.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Tintifax posted:

Rather than boasting about a 5$ app I actually wanted to point out the inconsistency of not showing tyre wear info in the game but making it available for 3rd party apps...

Haha, sorry. I got that, I was just trying (and failing) to make fun of the guys who take it so super seriously with all those monitoring apps and stuff.
Which I'd kill for on PS4 :(

xzzy posted:

I think it's the Forza quicksand they put in to stop players cutting chicanes. You'd just magically drop to 5 mph in a couple feet no matter how fast you were going.

Purely an exploit prevention because before that fix was put in, people would just ramp over the curbs and laugh to the finish line.

Really though the fix for this was to invalidate the lap and make it not count towards finishing the race.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Hello Spaceman posted:

Really though the fix for this was to invalidate the lap and make it not count towards finishing the race.

So basically put them in dead last for every single cut, even if by accident? Sounds a bit extreme, unless you put in some requirement for that. I'd rather either quicksand, moderate damage to your engine/transmission/suspension, or just anything that would get the idea of "DON'T CUT THE loving CHICANES YOU CHUCKLEFUCK" across.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Okay I see. I skipped 3 and 4 and never had an issue in 5.

But honestly I thought they were talking about project cars. I'm a dummy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

honestly the implementation for cutting tracks in pcars is in piss poor shape. seemingly random game marshall decisions that lead to unexpected forced RPM limiter that fucks everybody behind you. Doesn't even actually register on a bunch of tracks. for instance on Monaco you can completely run over chicanes. Hockenhiem's first turn will allow you to be completely on the opposite side of the apex bollard and still not penalize you.

the way I see doing this in sims is just mimicking real life. which apparently racing devs just can't do.

properly model the boundaries on the tracks so if you go off a bit like in real life, the game (race marshalls) will simply take note and penalize you for more bad driving later in the race.

Have one inner boundary close to the track that triggers 'do this too many times and you get a drive through' . then have a outer boundary line for preventing a full cut right through the chicane like people do on, say, Monaco at the most that might dq you in real life, but in this game I would say should be an automatic drive through. just not a rpm limiter ffs

do this all in combination with rumble strips and speed bumps, tires and cones that will gently caress up your driving as well, but not abusive sticky grass.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 17, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Just a big frowny face everytime you cut the track, and when you get too many, the eyes are replaces by x's. When you are 3 seconds from the finish line your car explodes micheal bay style.

Tintifax
Aug 16, 2012

OhsH posted:

I hope ur fast lmao

Faster than my tyre wear! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just do what real world races do.. when you gently caress up, they add time to your finish which generates the risk of losing your ranking in the race no matter how well you drive.

This problem has been solved, I'm unclear why gamedevs have had such an issue with it.

Same goes for pit drivethroughs for particularly serious infractions.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You guys should really stop cutting corners.

Cheating fucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

Cheating fucks.

Pfft it's legal until they make it illegal. :colbert:

And since the FIA doesn't have their greasy paws all over this game, it's currently legal!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The reason they use the slowdown mechanic for cutting corners in so many racing games is because winning is purely based on race position and not lap time. And they do it that way because the average racing game player doesn't give a poo poo about lap times and needs to win no matter what if they crossed the finish line first.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you go off the track you should die IRL

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The reason they use the slowdown mechanic for cutting corners in so many racing games is because winning is purely based on race position and not lap time. And they do it that way because the average racing game player doesn't give a poo poo about lap times and needs to win no matter what if they crossed the finish line first.

This is funny to me since I spend so much time looking at lap times when I play.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I started an endurance career in prototypes for fun, all I can say so far is GT CARS GTFO OF THE WAY

Seriously, don't give me "fast car approaching" if it's the rear of the car in front of me that's moving toward me fast. Blue flag the stupid bastard and let me by.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Norns posted:

This is funny to me since I spend so much time looking at lap times when I play.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Tintifax posted:

This is lame; if they're tracking tire wear, it should be available without an App.

Not sure if it's related to the bug (known issue: players' tires wear much slower than AI's), but I feel like I never have to pit due to lack of grip though. Last night I did my career 24 3 Hour Le Mans and only changed tires twice (using Soft each time): sunset when they were getting cold and dawn when it was warming up again. If ~one hour runs on Soft tires are feasible and you're still capable of competitive times near the end of the run, then I guess wear isn't relevant anyway though for many races (assuming this isn't part of the bugged tire wear). Also ran into another known bug of tires being inexplicably super hot after pitting so my last hour run was on 280 degrees Celcius tires and they still seemed grippy enough (the right rear anyway... the left front occasionally dipped into being green :unsmith:).

Nostratic posted:

I started an endurance career in prototypes for fun, all I can say so far is GT CARS GTFO OF THE WAY

Seriously, don't give me "fast car approaching" if it's the rear of the car in front of me that's moving toward me fast. Blue flag the stupid bastard and let me by.
I know, right? I got so jealous when I watched 3~4 hours of Le Mans action last weekend from the dashcams on the Nismo/Porsche/Audi cars* and how most traffic all the way around the track stayed to one side or the other the entire way 'round the track whereas in PCars they just follow their set driving line right down the loving middle usually so you have no choice but to slow way down or pass in the grass in some spots.

Then again, I also watched the Truth in 24 (I and II) documentaries someone mentioned here (I liked them, both are on YouTube in HD if anyone was curious) and lapped traffic caused two potentially fatal incidents that sent Audi's flying (literally) off the track so I guess we can be thankful that PCars has more forgiving levels of gravity for loss of down-force than the real world for when AI fuckery does happen.

For what it's worth though: AI have pretty poo poo pit strategy for endurance races so you're pretty likely to win if you just run full fuel loads and maintain reasonably competitive times (including, hopefully, not forcing unscheduled stops thanks to AI impacts) since they'll rack up minutes worth of time on pit lane that you don't.

* I'm a little jealous that the PCars hybrid LMP1(s? Haven't driven the Marek to know if it's hybrid) doesn't scream like the Porsche 919 was. They didn't have telemetry, but drat if you didn't know when the driver was braking/accelerating with hybrid help. Maybe it was just the dash cam location, but the hybrid (de)charging sounded significantly louder than the gas engine (of any car on the track).

Norns posted:

I also noted this during my endurance race last night: lap times fall off significantly at night presumably due to temperatures cooler than the engines are designed for peak power at. Was running ~7 MPH slower down the Mulsanne straight in the dead of night vs. daytime and, correspondingly, 4~5 seconds slower than daylight laps.

Didn't notice nighttime slowdown when I did the 24 Hour Le Mans invitational event before though so maybe it's because I didn't have the Wastegate Pressure maxed this time.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Norns posted:

Cheating fucks.

Never

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I will be putting up a lobby for you corner cutting fucks tonight, lets loving race!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Basticle posted:

I will be putting up a lobby for you corner cutting fucks tonight, lets loving race!

A thread title of "Project CARS: Cut Corners" would be too poetic, given the perceived state of the game's development and people playing it :v:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
So how are you guys organizing to play this and how often? I'm debating on whether to spend my monies on it cuz I really want a multiplayer racemans game that people actually play.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Those thread titles always open the thread to numbnuts poo poo posting about a game they don't even play.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basticle posted:

Sweet, I'm actually awake for this one. Is the Mumble info posted anywhere?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Basticle posted:

I will be available for the racing this evening in three hours. You cheating assholes better still be up for a few races at that point. :colbert:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lobby is up

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

njsykora posted:

Sweet, I'm actually awake for this one. Is the Mumble info posted anywhere?

Its in the pcars steam group (which is open access)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Apparently I missed this. Hopefully you all did not have fun. Jerks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIoSS4kLoGs

I uploaded a clip that sums up one race.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My favorite part was the first place car crossing the finish line then the AI taking over and sitting there doing donuts for a full minute because even the loving AI can't drive that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All that terrible poo poo happened because you cut that corner.

• Locked thread