Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Just a reminder Prez is on sale this week on comixology.

Sadly it's lacking Sandman #54 (AKA one of my favourite Sandman stories).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

goldenoreos posted:

I wonder if it'll lead to 2 more arcs called "Justice" and "The American Way".

I can't see it not, frankly.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Madkal posted:

Sadly it's lacking Sandman #54 (AKA one of my favourite Sandman stories).

That was my intro to Prez, and Sandman was my intro to comics.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to go back and read these Prez issues.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Solicits

Things of note:

-We Are Robin 4, hints a major tragedy. If is what I think, I'm eating my words and getting the issue.

-Grayson looks hella interesting this month

-Bane on Batman '66 :v:

And of course

:black101:

I still cannot get over Chappie Gorden

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Prez was really good, you guys.

Go read it.

Now.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I don't read much DC mostly just Morrison, but with all these new series that seem kinda interesting I may start picking up some non vertigo stuff. How are Dr. Fate and Martian Manhunter those two peak my interest?

I am doing the whole secret wars thing so I don't have all the money in the world, but are there any other new interesting things starting?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I picked up 3 titles today (Prez, Black Canary, Secret Six). I was tempted to try out Dr. Fate though. Any word on how it was?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Dr. Fate was a decent set-up issue. The art is fantastic, but Levitz didn't do much to establish a personality for Khalid other than "normal guy is reluctant about his big destiny."

Also it begins right where the 8-page preview left off, so you need to read that to get the full meat of this issue if you don't remember what happens. I think I'll wait until the second issue to decide for certain how I feel about it, because this issue really just serves to set the plot up, but the art is gorgeous and worth the admission price for this issue.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Prez is the kind of book that would've been completely at home in Vertigo 12 years ago.

That book has some serious tooth to it in addition to being loving hilarious.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Equeen posted:

Prez was really good, you guys.

Go read it.

Now.

Love the villain's visual design. My god.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

Prez is the kind of book that would've been completely at home in Vertigo 12 years ago.

That book has some serious tooth to it in addition to being loving hilarious.

It's got the dark comedy of 2000AD but it's also able to come up with Pharmaduke and I respect that a lot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is a lovely coincidence with Donald Trump announcing his presidency run a day before Prez came out. Just finished reading the comic and the satire is scathing but fun and the artwork was solid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Congrats on doing a 50 page monthly, but I don't think I'm gonna continue picking up Hitch's JLA.

I do like the logo, though :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't JLA quarterly?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Congrats on doing a 50 page monthly, but I don't think I'm gonna continue picking up Hitch's JLA.

I do like the logo, though :)

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't JLA quarterly?

I doubt either of these will be true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a girl looking for "Justice League Delta" today so that made me smile.

Every DC new release this week was excellent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I had a girl looking for "Justice League Delta" today so that made me smile.

Every DC new release this week was excellent.

That has me really happy, because all 3 DC books on my list this week I was so worried would be disappointing (Prez, BC, HQ/PG)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

That has me really happy, because all 3 DC books on my list this week I was so worried would be disappointing (Prez, BC, HQ/PG)

HQ/PG was just fun. Prez was hilarious and a great read. Black Canary was gorgeous. Dr Fate exceeded my expectations as I'd already dismissed it based on Levitz. Robin was my favorite overall as I love Pat Gleason's art and his writing wasn't bad either. Did I forget anything?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Did I forget anything?

Doomed!

Dunbar posted:

I can't believe all the positive posts for... Doomed

Where?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Uhh, a little title called Doomed??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wasn't there a new Wonder Woman too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Wasn't there a new Wonder Woman too?

Not a new launch. Still terrible.

Semper Fudge posted:

Uhh, a little title called Doomed??

I FORGOT TO READ THAT.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can't believe all the positive posts for Prez, Doomed and Dr. Fate. All I bought this week was Black Canary and Martian Manhunter. I'm going to have to go back to the shop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

I can't believe all the positive posts for Prez, Doomed and Dr. Fate. All I bought this week was Black Canary and Martian Manhunter. I'm going to have to go back to the shop.

The only new DC I've flat out disliked is Batman Beyond. I don't know what they've tapped into but I hope it keeps flowing.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I flipped through Prez a bit; it seemed interesting. Maybe I should have picked it up.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Martian Manhunter was a strange book... which is what I wanted out of it so I guess I'm checking out its next issue!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rhyno posted:

The only new DC I've flat out disliked is Batman Beyond. I don't know what they've tapped into but I hope it keeps flowing.

Why does DC keep screwing up Batman Beyond in the comics geez.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Dexie posted:

Why does DC keep screwing up Batman Beyond in the comics geez.

The recent digital only series was actually quite good but for some reason they decided to use a cult classic animated property to make a wholly unrelated Futures End follow-up. It boggles the mind. I would wager more people watched the show than read the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Doomed was alright, didn't wowed me but it was fun, gonna keep an eye on it. Loved Lobdell's cameo by the way :haw:

Son of Batman was good. Not entirely sold yet on the whole year of blood business and it doesn't make a lick of sense in the context of Batbunny and Grayson but whatever.

WW/Superman, ehhhh...I'm gonna hold judgement until we know what the gently caress happened with Superman but so far I'm not liking the whole Truth business.

Sinestro was good if somewhat forgetable

Couldn't gather enough interest to check the other titles :shrug:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black Canary and Prez were both amazing. Never would have expected Prez to knock it out of the park.

The club in Black Canary, The Wizards Wand, is named after downtown Detroit's Magic Stick.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How was the dialogue in Dr. Fate? It was pretty bad in the sneak peek, which is a shame as I love the art and general direction they are taking the character.

I really liked Black Canary and Prez, and Martian Manhunter has my attention. I'm not sold on Robin yet, but I'll definitely give it another issue.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Guy Gardner's got a dumb new costume

I think a this point some writer should make it canon that Guy just has godawful taste in clothes. Go whole hog and mention the Warrior thing too.

His clothes in Convergence GLC #2 were amazing. He wore Hercules armor for two pages and it had no impact on the story whatsoever.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If you're not reading Prez, then you need to get on that poo poo pronto, easily the best comic this week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

The recent digital only series was actually quite good but for some reason they decided to use a cult classic animated property to make a wholly unrelated Futures End follow-up. It boggles the mind. I would wager more people watched the show than read the book.

It reminds me of that con story a few months back with a kid asking about Batman Beyond (the digital book) because it was stopping and it was his favourite comic, and there was an awkward pause before the panel reassured him. The pause was "Oh poo poo, how do we tell the kid that we're getting rid of everything he likes", apparently.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I wonder if there was some concentrated effort to make Martian Manhunter sound as bland and unappealing as possible in order to totally catch people off guard when it turned out to be really weird and floating a lot of good ideas.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
DC has finally hit on a formula that will keep people coming in for their books: constant relaunches. Just have new #1 issues every month! :v:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Trast posted:

DC has finally hit on a formula that will keep people coming in for their books: constant relaunches. Just have new #1 issues every month! :v:

No, the thing they are doing now is putting out cool and interesting books.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

My pull list has actually ballooned, to be honest. A lot of the old books had run their course in terms of quality and I'm pretty excited to see what's next.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

DC only relaunched like 3 or 4 books, what are you talking about?

Why are people still so drat cynical about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Black Canary and Robin were both quite good, I haven't read Dr. Fate or Martian Manhunter yet though. The last thing I needed was to add more books to my already back-logged reading list, but if they're good then I don't really have a problem with it.

• Locked thread