Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bort Bortles posted:

I cant decide who to play as now that I have time to play the game with Common Sense :sigh:

I'm trying to get the white elephant achievement with Ayutthaya right now and that whole region is really fun if you haven't played it before. You're isolated enough that you just focus on taking out the 5-6 nations around you, and the first week is a mad scramble to out-alliance your neighbors. Then it's this constant chess match where you try to pick the right target to declare war on in order to bring in just the right allies on both sides so that you can take the right land in order to open up claims on another neighbor who's ally you actually want to take land from and so on and so forth.

Think I'm going to wrap the achievement up today:

Red is the territory I need for the achievement, Pegu is my vassal, and Hsenwi and Dai Viet are my allies. Just need to take out Malacca (which shouldn't be hard since they're not allied with their southern neighbors), take out or cripple Mong Yang before they make a powerful ally out west, and then eventually backstab my allies for the last pieces of Indochina. Nothing can go wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you Westernize off of Trade Company provinces now? I've had a bunch of Indian states (and, amazingly, Ming) westernize this game, despite that, as far as I can tell, the other western provinces they border are my Company provinces.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GSD posted:

Can you Westernize off of Trade Company provinces now? I've had a bunch of Indian states (and, amazingly, Ming) westernize this game, despite that, as far as I can tell, the other western provinces they border are my Company provinces.

I don't know if there's been a change but it was already possible to westernize by conquering a western province, even if it's a trade company.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012

GSD posted:

You can westernize if you share cores with a western nation, even if the western nation owns the province in question. Threw me for a loop when I discovered it too.

AnoMouse fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VDay posted:

I'm trying to get the white elephant achievement with Ayutthaya right now and that whole region is really fun if you haven't played it before. You're isolated enough that you just focus on taking out the 5-6 nations around you, and the first week is a mad scramble to out-alliance your neighbors. Then it's this constant chess match where you try to pick the right target to declare war on in order to bring in just the right allies on both sides so that you can take the right land in order to open up claims on another neighbor who's ally you actually want to take land from and so on and so forth.

Think I'm going to wrap the achievement up today:

Red is the territory I need for the achievement, Pegu is my vassal, and Hsenwi and Dai Viet are my allies. Just need to take out Malacca (which shouldn't be hard since they're not allied with their southern neighbors), take out or cripple Mong Yang before they make a powerful ally out west, and then eventually backstab my allies for the last pieces of Indochina. Nothing can go wrong!
I have played a game as Khmer and it was a ton of fun for exactly what you are saying. Ming was pretty inert and there was no big superpower to fear otherwise, so managing to wrangle the right alliances and whatnot and then fighting wars was actually quite fun. However I am inclined to play a Western or at least Eastern nation so I can play with development stuff.

Also I do not play on Ironman because the succession mechanics for monarchies infuriates me.

I may just play a custom game as a Noble Republic or something. Anyone know if the custom nation designer/random world generator has been tweaked at all recently?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How to piss off Austria and gain more IA monthly:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

How to piss off Austria and gain more IA monthly:

Are...are those all client states? That is beautiful!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yup. I'm going to give Austria free city status

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do client states count towards diplomatic relations?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Do client states count towards diplomatic relations?
Yes, but I cut them free for -25 prestige a pop. Can't stop them from dogpiling each other though. Good way to get that dynasty cheev too

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
"Take THAT, von Habsburgs!"

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Something I've noticed from events that spawn rebels: if you let that popup sit there whilst you move troops to the province, as I do shamelessly, sometimes it changes to somewhere else! It's a small touch but I do appreciate it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Obliterati posted:

Something I've noticed from events that spawn rebels: if you let that popup sit there whilst you move troops to the province, as I do shamelessly, sometimes it changes to somewhere else! It's a small touch but I do appreciate it.

Yeah, this works with events that add development to a random province too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So if it says they'll spawn in a province with mountains you can just move an army there and hope they'll spawn in flatlands instead? Sweet.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I'm nearly at the end of my Milan game, and Serbia, which is one of my marches, has all of her cores, all of the Balkans, and all of Poland plus the Baltic. Is there any reason why Serbia usually has no troops despite having a decent income and money in the treasury? It's basically a glorified wall between me and mega Lithuania.

Meanwhile, my other marches (Spain/Burgundy with most of France/Switzerland with most of Germany) all make some pretty massive stacks. Even my tiny little New Rome client state with only Greek provinces and Constantinople has a decent army.

Why does Serbia suck so much. I guess it doesn't matter since there's only 20 years left.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah there's up to 7 permanent prestige modifiers IIRC. Or if they aren't permanent they just last like 200 years. Basically the fountain of youth has an event where your like 'dang, its not real. now lets bottle it up and sell it to suckers!'

They're permanent and there are like 7-8, one for each of the fabled Seven Cities and the Fountain of Youth. It's fairly rare to get any one of them and I'm not sure if it's possible to get multiple, the events file is huge and I don't feel like reading through the code right now. Suffice to say a small but significant probability you get one if you explore most of the New World with a conquistador. They give stuff like +0.5 yearly Prestige, 10% Trade Power, 5 base tax income, stuff like that. Nice but nothing game-breaking and entirely random.

Node posted:

I'm going to try Poland and go for the three achievements. Winged Hussars, Poland Can Into Space, and One King to Rule. What idea groups, and in what order, would be optimal? I know Aristocracy will make a rare appearance at some point since it has +cavalry combat and a diplomat (which I might need now) as well as the military tech discount. There is also Administrative for its usual core creation discount and administrative tech discount - same goes for Diplomatic. And I think I would either need Religious or Humanist once I form the Commonwealth and have a bunch of cultures and Orthodox provinces. Humanist sounds preferable over Religious, since it gets idea cost discounts, and Catholics get a bunch of policies that give them missionary strength anyway.

Anyone have any advice on idea order?

Definitely take Aristocractic as your first military idea. Poland has killer military NIs and a monstrous bulldog in the form of Lithuania, so you can definitely get by not taking one of the "stronger" military idea sets. One of the penalties for keeping a domestic ruler is -1 Diplomat, so that's even better on top of losing the Embassy building. Go Humanist rather than Religious, you have +3 Heretic Tolerance and -15% culture threshhold from NIs so it fits perfectly. Plus, the basetax/development increase to missionary conversion % got nerfed with Common Sense, so it's much easier to convert provinces than it was before even without Religious.

Catholics don't necessarily get better missionaries than Protestants or Reformed, so pick whichever appeals to you most. Reformed is good, Protestant is *amazing* now with the changes. Unless you have a dominating amount of pope points I'd honestly go Protestant, it's better than Catholic in every way unless you're raking in huge Papal Influence.

You want to conquer and core Danzig from the TO as soon as possible to get your free Westernization, which you were going to do anyway but it's icing on the cake.

The exact ordering of ideas will depend on your ruler stats and random events, but since you'll be wanting to conquer the TO and don't have a pressing need for Dip tech, probably take Diplomatic or Influence first. AE is a lot less of an issue than previously so Influence is not an obvious win over Diplomatic, but it will make integrating Mazovia a lot cheaper for example.

I would probably go Influence, Humanist, Aristocratic in roughly that order. Then it's up to you, Economic is amazing and if you weren't planning on forming the Commonwealth and inheriting a bunch of Orthodox provinces I'd recommend it heartily as first admin idea. Quality is much better with the +1 Army Tradition and you'll need it for Hussars achievement. I would suggest Diplomatic, Economic, any of the military ideas but Naval to fill things out, your preference. Trade is alright but you are probably plenty wealthy especially if you have Economic.

Personally I'd probably end up with something like:
Influence, Aristocratic, Humanist, Quality, Economic, Diplomatic (not necessarily that order)
+pick 2 of Offensive, Defensive, Quantity

Edit: regarding missionaries, previously it used to be -0.5% missionary strength per basetax. Now, it's -0.1% per development, and 2.5 dev is roughly equal to 1 basetax. So the conversion difficulty from province basetax/development essentially got halved with Common Sense. Religious seems really unappealing right now.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 17, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you're a free city in the HRE and go protestant, do you lose free city status?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

They're permanent and there are like 7-8, one for each of the fabled Seven Cities and the Fountain of Youth. It's fairly rare to get any one of them and I'm not sure if it's possible to get multiple, the events file is huge and I don't feel like reading through the code right now. Suffice to say a small but significant probability you get one if you explore most of the New World with a conquistador. They give stuff like +0.5 yearly Prestige, 10% Trade Power, 5 base tax income, stuff like that. Nice but nothing game-breaking and entirely random.

At least in 1.11, it was at least possible to get one of the seven cities AND the fountain of youth. I haven't looked at events to see if it's changed.

That was one time, though, and more often than not my explorers just get themselves suckered into eating some long pig.

vyelkin posted:

If you're a free city in the HRE and go protestant, do you lose free city status?

No. I think there's two things that can revoke the status: Piss of the emperor enough that he revokes it, or get another province. You may have it removed through rebels that change your government form as well.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
India/South East Asia are definitely the best areas of the game to play in. Its a huge cluster gently caress of alliance chains/wars at the start. By the time you've outgrown that you then have to worry about the Europeans coming.

Very annoying issue where nations that are significantly weaker than me keep asking me to give them my trade power. I'm guessing its because I'm about 5-6 diplotech behind them but that shouldn't be enough to trigger it. Especailly when I'm ahead/equal in admin and military despite being cursed with not having a single good ruler all game. My best ruler had 10 total in stats and that was with 2 in Military so it wasn''t great.

As a bonus you can also see my last province to convert that I have to wait another 10 years to get rid of religious zeal.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Good way to get that dynasty cheev too

Hold on, do they get your dynasty when you release them?

I just realized I've never really used Client States.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elman posted:

I was super excited when I heard that they were a thing. But then I realized that I never play a game long enough to use them :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elman posted:

You get to choose whether they do when you make them.

I can't imagine why you would choose to not give them your dynasty but it's an option.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You get to choose whether they do when you make them.

I can't imagine why you would choose to not give them your dynasty but it's an option.

They don't have an heir when they spawn, so if their king dies you can end up in a PU with the client state with France contesting it.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Pellisworth posted:

Since reading through events files is something I like to do: you can find multiple legendary sites. How it works is that a conquistador will have a chance to start off any particular search when he's going through empty provinces; he needs to be in the appropriate region to start looking for each of the legends, and you can't already be searching for one. Once you start one of these you can get flavor events related to the search in the same way. Each chain has three different possible results: a bad end which will hit you for some prestige, a good end which is decent, and an ultimate end which is probably worth roughly half an idea. You can only start each search once, and each ultimate end you get reduces the number of 'lottery balls' all the other cities have by half when their check to start a search comes up.

Getting one of the flavor events unlocks the potential for all three of the endings, while letting at least one year pass since starting the search only unlocks the two better endings. Interestingly, for these flavor events, "Explorer Dies" can only activate once every other search (since it ends the search), most can activate just once each search, but accidentally eating Long Pig can theoretically happen as often as it has a chance to, because unlike the others which check the flag they set in their trigger, "Long Pig" checks the flag set by "Spirited Away" instead. This might be a bug?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the parliament mechanics in Common Sense. Switching from an administrative monarchy to a constitutional monarchy, you get to decide where all the seats go, and I enjoyed giving representation to my richest provinces while also prioritizing my primary culture provinces over accepted culture provinces.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

By the time you've outgrown that you then have to worry about the Europeans coming.

Did the Europeans actually give you any trouble though? I never had to fight a European when I got that achievement.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as Portugal, the decision to adopt Plutocratic Administration has disappeared. It was there before I got high enough admin to enact it, but now it's gone. It doesn't even appear int the list to show its requirements. What gives?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I once found 3 of the cities as Castille, so there is no limit like that.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Portugal, the decision to adopt Plutocratic Administration has disappeared. It was there before I got high enough admin to enact it, but now it's gone. It doesn't even appear int the list to show its requirements. What gives?

You probably have 20 or more provinces.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mountaineer posted:

You probably have 20 or more provinces.

I dunno about that, but could be. I'm Portugal so I suspect I own less than 20 provinces myself, but if you count subjects then yeah I have a ton. Can you never become a republic if you have more than 20 provinces?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do I get vassalise scotland mission...I actually had zero missions available and still didn't get it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Vassalize_Scotland

At a guess I'd say it's probably the development one tripping you up, which will mean you need to hit them down a bit before it is available.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Higsian posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Vassalize_Scotland

At a guess I'd say it's probably the development one tripping you up, which will mean you need to hit them down a bit before it is available.

It's not.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Actually it probably is. They need less than 50 right? I guess I should take some stuff from them.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Someone mentioned that Big Blue Blob might only be possible if you get lucky with PU's. I think it can be done straight up coring. You just need to go admin focus on day one and hire an admin adviser and not tech up. I might have to start my run over though because I was stupid and forgot to lift my guarantee of Scotland so now everything I wanted to do is pushed back 5 years unless I truce break and I've already got a huge coalition against me. I've got about 55 provinces now and I can get to 100 by finishing England, Naples, Aragon, 100%'ing Scotland and then taking as much of Scandinavia as I can get so it's possible. Finding ways to reach the poorest provinces in Europe is the key. That and the Iberian wedding not firing. It fired for me but the Castilian king died the next month and it ended so I got lucky.

And when you see a big coalition forming against you, hit them first so you probably won't have to fight the whole thing at once. This achievement would be a cakewalk if truce timers were still only 5 years.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 18, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So uh, what's a good way to help Ming along in imploding? The inevitable happened in my Ayutthaya game and Ming just kind of woke up and realized "Oh hey maybe I should get in on grabbing up these weak countries to my left." It wouldn't be that big of a problem except they managed to vassalize a 2 province Mong Yang that I had to keep alive. I'm friendly with them so I'm not worried about them looking to take me on, but fighting their 70k troop army, while potentially doable, doesn't seem particularly fun and sitting around and waiting 150 years for them to fall apart naturally seems less than ideal as well. I was thinking about allying them and maybe dragging them into some kind of lovely war, but there aren't really a lot of viable targets for that.

e: To clarify: I'm just going for the white elephant achievement and only need the two provinces that vassalized Mong Yang holds. So I'm not looking for any kind of stable, long-term solution. Anything that gets me those two provinces is fine.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Bold Robot posted:

I dunno about that, but could be. I'm Portugal so I suspect I own less than 20 provinces myself, but if you count subjects then yeah I have a ton. Can you never become a republic if you have more than 20 provinces?

Subjects don't count towards the limit, but yeah. It's pretty stupid.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

A few countries have historical events (English Civil War, Ambrosian Republic, etc) that allow you to switch. Countries without such events (and 20+ provinces) can only turn republic with the help of revolutionary rebels, and those are rather rare, particularly in the early game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Fire and replace the general, attrit down the Hungarians like you're fighting a defensive war, let the Lithuanians drown them in expendable Orthodox peasant corpses.

And see if you can gank any secondary stacks. Attila Reborn can only be in one place at a time.

• Locked thread