Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nalin posted:

It... hasn't happened yet, though. Did you play on the PTS or something? It doesn't really take long to get to level 20 on the PTS. You hit it by the time you reach Neutretic.

Yeah I loaded up the PTS to try the new combat - which is one reason I was getting frustrated with the difficulty in trying the differnet frames. I had to suffer through the Firefall equivalent of the half life hazard course every time.

I'm still interested in the game, but like most people I'm waiting for the PTS changes to get to the main server and then I'll try it again. I'm honestly waiting for the game to get good enough that I'll feel confident I can convince my friends to play it, once my irl friends get into the game I'll have a chance to really sink my teeth into it.

Speaking of PTS, are they going to stick/did they stick with turrets "bleeding"?

Edit - I said this when I first heard about the frame restriction, but "dumb players can't change frames" is the worst reason for this. Just put a screen up that makes them pick their frame every time they load their character, with a sentence below the pictures that says "you can also do this at the frame stations!" and a check box that says "don't show me this menu again". One pop up menu vs making a big change to gameplay.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of PTS, are they going to stick/did they stick with turrets "bleeding"?

I believe they are. They want the Engineer to be focused on managing their deployables.

Also, the PTS is now months out of date. They've changed many things about how the combat feels, but they probably won't put a new PTS build out until July/August. Since they are literally changing everything again, they need everything to be more stable if they are going to get decent feedback on it. At least that's the excuse they gave today. The next build will be up to level 30 and will include all the Advanced frames, too, unless something changes before then.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm glad they're doing a big overhaul on the combat. I just hope they manage to find the sweet spot on combat like back in beta. Live is too spongy. PTS is too paper.

Edit: Ok, this is new - http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/perk-update-mega-thread.6622221/

Phobos gives an info dump on the upcoming perks changes. I kind of skimmed it but a lot of the changes make sense. Some things are unchanged. Other things I'm looking forward to. I saw 3-4 separate things that allow a significant boost to the health of your frame. Assuming those stack, you can have a pretty beefy dread. There's also some serious attention put into the cryo line. There's probably more but there's a ton to read and I don't have the attention span for it right now.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 12, 2015

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Long time no see Firefall buddies. Back after a long break. I actually have the summer off. Looks like my free time has coincided with sort of an awkward growth stage for Firefall so I'll probably wait until the aforementioned overhaul before I reinstall. Good to see some of you are still playing though. Looking forward to shooting some bugs with you all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Unfortunately they aren't gonna have anything done this summer. However, they should have the 1-30 rework done on the PTS this summer. You could play that. Maybe they'll accidentally leak the arena PvP zones too so you can go there with goon transit. That would be fun.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The MMO HMO > Firefall - Maybe something new will be on PTS this year.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Might as well since that no more revamps thing didn't work out. Yes, I am bitter.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Morglon posted:

Firefall - The no more revamps thing didn't work out. Yes, I am bitter.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Are they still doing complete gameplay/mechanic overhauls on this thing? I keep checking back now and then to see if it's settled down, but it always seems like there's another major change coming in the next couple weeks/months.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Are they still doing complete gameplay/mechanic overhauls on this thing? I keep checking back now and then to see if it's settled down, but it always seems like there's another major change coming in the next couple weeks/months.

yes, this game is just as much in beta as it ever has been.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
At least they've toned it down so they're only changing everything every 6 months to a year.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: New blog post up on Itemization!
http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-itemization

Battleframe Cores and Primary Equipment
Cores going away. Replaced with head, torso, arms, legs, and reactor equipment slots. Why? Because everybody just picked the core that gave the most health.
Look at this item level 50 gear:

Secondary Equipment
Four new slots: operating system, medical system, and two gadget slots. Operating system can provide stats that affect all equipped abilities. Medical system is basically a re-usable health pack on a dedicated keybind. Gadgets are fun items that have effects that activate in certain circumstances, like every time you headshot or run out of ammo (unique modules are going to become gadgets).

Auxiliary Weapons
Allows you to equip a melee weapon or a re-usable grenade. Nice.

Manufacturer Prefixes
In addition to the normal prefixes, equipment can have a manufacturer prefix.
  • Accord – Provides an increase to weapon handling rating and reload speed.
  • Omnidyne-M – Provides an increase to maximum energy.
  • Astrek – Provides an increase to energy recharge rates.
  • Kisuton – Provides an increase to maximum ammunition.

Item Rarities
Common: +0 item level
Uncommon: +5
Rare: +10
Epic: +15
Prototype: +20

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Interesting. Undying Sun does not say dreadnought only.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The inconsistent tense in that flavour text is bothering me more than it should

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are there 3 Holmgang missions or 5? The OP and wiki state 5, but I can only access 3 in game. Is there a sidequest prerequisite?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There's 5 (Three, sir!) missions but number 4 was broken at one point and started lagging the whole server. They released a bug fix patch that "fixed" the issue. Turns out they just removed number 4 from the playlist which prevents 5 from ever coming up.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That is almost a perfect mix of laziness and incompetence. The only way it could be better would be if the quest NPC still specifically tells the player to check back for more missions later.

Modding question: I'm looking for something to help with grenade launchers / mortars. Is there anything that modifies shell tracer duration? The reticle section on the mod index has a lot that changes your UI into some anime poo poo, but nothing to help with grenade lobbing. It can't be too hard to superimpose a parabolic line projecting from the tip of my barrel, can it?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Not really. A long time ago during early beta someone made a mod that did stuff like that but the devs said it removed a lot of the skill from the game and the writer pulled it down.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Inimicul posted:

Not really. A long time ago during early beta someone made a mod that did stuff like that but the devs said it removed a lot of the skill from the game and the writer pulled it down.

I never released my reticule addon for projectiles.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I didn't know you had one but I am not surprised. :D

Hows your new game coming along?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

I downloaded those things and ran it but nothing happened.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What version of Windows are you running? Meldii isn't skinned properly at all. Do you have .NET 4.5 installed?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Looks like 7.

I still have all my addons installed the old fashioned way via the Addons folder. I'm sure they're out of date, but still seem to work since the game hasn't changed in almost a year.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Windows 7. I installed something that said .NET 4.5 on it, but it said "repair", which is odd as I don't recall having a prior version installed. Is there a way to check?

Also everything comes with a "meldi.ini" file. Am I supposed to copy/paste their contents into one file, or should everything be in its own subdirectory?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Inimicul posted:

I didn't know you had one but I am not surprised. :D

Hows your new game coming along?

We released a teaser for our upcoming demo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DreadLlama posted:

Windows 7. I installed something that said .NET 4.5 on it, but it said "repair", which is odd as I don't recall having a prior version installed. Is there a way to check?

Also everything comes with a "meldi.ini" file. Am I supposed to copy/paste their contents into one file, or should everything be in its own subdirectory?

You click the "Addon Library" button and copy the .zip files into the Explorer window that pops up. Don't extract the .zip files. Meldii will do that automatically.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yep that did it. I was expecting it to have an integrated browser ala CKAN.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I havn't played this in about 6 months. Any major changes I should know about?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
No. Minor bug fixes while they get ready to redo the whole game again.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What's the best way to get a lot of crystite right now?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DreadLlama posted:

What's the best way to get a lot of crystite right now?

BWA box runs. You'll get about 8000 crystite every 10 minutes.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Is this still accurate?

I think I need a guide on doing it faster or something.

Also BWA and the area around Fort Jasper have something in common: they both tank my frames per second. Is there something specific and unique to these areas beyond "lots of trees"? What should I turn down?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 3, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DreadLlama posted:

Is this still accurate?

I think I need a guide on doing it faster or something.

That is accurate, but not for a box run. Here, I made this video showing how to do a full box run half a year ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L_S9EvhA0

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: Elite Ranks

Ever wonder what Red 5 had in mind for post-40 XP? Well, they delivered their vision today.

Once you hit 40, you start earning XP for "Elite Ranks". Each elite rank will cost the same XP as the last. When you gain a new elite rank, you are presented with 6 possible upgrade choices. They are pulled randomly from a possible upgrade pool, with the possibility that one of them will come from a special rare upgrade pool. Every 10th elite rank will have all 6 upgrades be from the rare pool. Rare upgrades can include things like free battleframes.

Basic upgrades:
  • Reload Speed
  • Ammo Capacity
  • Health
  • Health Regen
  • Healing Dealt
  • Bonus Reputation Rate
  • Experience Consumable
  • Bonus Crystite Rate
  • Deployable Health
  • Healing Received
  • Jump Height
  • Jet Energy
  • Run Speed
  • Crystite
  • Jet Energy Regen

Rare upgrades:
  • Crystite
  • Power Rating
  • Weapon Damage Dealt
  • Other Battleframes (Character)
  • Perk Unlocks from Other Frames
  • Ability Recharge Rate
  • Elemental Effect Chance
  • Ability Damage Dealt
  • HKM Charge Rate
  • Credits
  • Perk Point

Yes, you can unlock more perk points for your battleframe (and even perks restricted to other battleframes!) Man OWPvP will be hilarious when it gets added back to the game.

You can also purchase respecs with red beans, although it won't give you consumable upgrades or permanent upgrades back (like crystite or battleframe unlocks). Also, continuously upgrading one stat will have diminishing returns on how much of an increase it gives you.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh look they're stealing the champion system from ESO and throwing in RNG for no loving reason.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 8, 2015

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Don't worry, this system will only last 4 months and then they will replace it with something else.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Nalin posted:

Basic upgrades:
  • Reload Speed
  • Ammo Capacity
  • Health
  • Health Regen
  • Healing Dealt
  • Bonus Reputation Rate
  • Experience Consumable
  • Bonus Crystite Rate
  • Deployable Health
  • Healing Received
  • Jump Height
  • Jet Energy
  • Run Speed
  • Crystite
  • Jet Energy Regen

Have they said how these will interact with perks like health surge and resilient plating?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Have they mentioned a cap to these prestige levels? It'll be so nice to do the take back DT mission for all the loot, cash, and obscene xp and not feel like it's all being wasted.

Also, lol at the idea of possibly unlocking every frame in game with just one.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

Have they mentioned a cap to these prestige levels? It'll be so nice to do the take back DT mission for all the loot, cash, and obscene xp and not feel like it's all being wasted.

Also, lol at the idea of possibly unlocking every frame in game with just one.

The words they keep using is "no Theoretical Cap", which may mean they have no Mechanical issue scaling forever but may cap some stuff for other reasons or just that at some point adding more points into something doe snot give much benefit since it is a scaling bonus not a flat one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So it's basically Badass Ranks from Borderlands?

• Locked thread