Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Fallout 4 modding thread is going to be chock full of people saying "HELP I INSTALLED MODS ON MY XBONE AND NOW THE GAME WON'T LOAD WHAT DO I DO" isn't it.

Now a whole new generation of people will come in begging for help with missing masters. I look forward to them having to deal with console versions inability to properly adjust load order, merge levelled lists with bash, clean mods, and watch as people who play on consoles have absolutely GARBAGE stability as result.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Praetorian Mage posted:

I'm concerned that the "family man" backstory will play a major part in the plot (which seems likely, otherwise why would they bother with it) and that the new dialogue system will inhibit roleplaying by only showing you what your character will talk about rather than what he'll actually say (which we've already seen examples of).

That doesn't really change how much ~roleplaying~ you're able to do though? It's still the same level of 'Not really that much' since all the speech stuff are pre-written CYOA style options. The only differences are this just makes the individual choices more vague, which admittedly is a problem, and that there's one voice set for it instead of you reading the lines in whatever voice you have when reading them.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GirlBones posted:

I never play fallout with companions. I hope I can tell the dog to just stay the gently caress in his lovely little dog house.

:frogout:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

khy posted:

The Fallout 4 modding thread is going to be chock full of people saying "HELP I INSTALLED MODS ON MY XBONE AND NOW THE GAME WON'T LOAD WHAT DO I DO" isn't it.

Now a whole new generation of people will come in begging for help with missing masters. I look forward to them having to deal with console versions inability to properly adjust load order, merge levelled lists with bash, clean mods, and watch as people who play on consoles have absolutely GARBAGE stability as result.
There's just no way that Bethesda-modding in its current form can work on the consoles. Bethesda needs to either seriously rework how modding their games work (for starters by supplying their own proper loadorder & conflict detection tools), or the mods-on-consoles ends up being Bethesda releasing certain mods that have been selected for compatibility & stability as free DLC.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That doesn't really change how much ~roleplaying~ you're able to do though? It's still the same level of 'Not really that much' since all the speech stuff are pre-written CYOA style options. The only differences are this just makes the individual choices more vague, which admittedly is a problem, and that there's one voice set for it instead of you reading the lines in whatever voice you have when reading them.

Right, but like I said before, when you combine a detailed backstory with vague dialogue choices and voice acting, it presents the possibility that everything the character says will reflect a predefined personality. You and I might just disagree on how big an issue that is, and that's fine. And while it may be true that the system won't end up giving us less options than before, I can't see how it would give us more options either.

And of course, I would certainly love to be wrong about this.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lets ask the important questions here: if I take the armour off a half naked Raided will he suddenly be wearing a grey t-shirt and boxers?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

Lets ask the important questions here: if I take the armour off a half naked Raided will he suddenly be wearing a grey t-shirt and boxers?

Yes, the PC always brings spare underwear with him and he refuses to leave a corpse behind without at least giving it some dignity.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Raygereio posted:

There's just no way that Bethesda-modding in its current form can work on the consoles. Bethesda needs to either seriously rework how modding their games work (for starters by supplying their own proper loadorder & conflict detection tools), or the mods-on-consoles ends up being Bethesda releasing certain mods that have been selected for compatibility & stability as free DLC.

it'll work fine given the inevitable limited scope

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Who wants to bet the dog dies in a scripted event near the end and it's supposed to be sad?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Well one thing is that it seems like the bethesda.net stuff will be another version of the Steam Workshop modding solution. Which means SEVERE limitations as to what you can and can't do with mods.

Problems with Steam Workshop :

1) Each mod is required to have ONLY one BSA and one ESP, which means mods with multiple ESPs (Such as those for 'compatibility patches') have to be added separately
2) Editing load order is a huge pain and each mod has to be adjusted one space at a time. No automation is possible, so no LOOT or BOSS programs to make it nice and easy. Not a problem when you have 5 mods, but when you have 40 and you have to adjust the load order for each and every mod invidiually one 'move up' or 'move down' space at a time ti'll be a nightmare. Assuming you don't gently caress up the load order somehow and end up having to redo it over, and over, and over again...
3) No possible way to determine conflicts between multiple mods, doesn't warn you of missing masters, things like that which could cause missing textures/models at best and crashing the entire game at worst
4) No way to merge levelled lists so multiple different mods which add things to the world won't work with one another
5) No way to use custom tools like SKSE/NVSE to add additional features that the game wouldn't otherwise support, like the mod configuration menus and whatnot

6) Restrictions will be made based on the content of mods, so no nudity or assets modelled after (Or potentially taken from) other games. Which eliminates virtually every single hair mod for any bethesda game ever.

Glorious PC master race will, as always, continue to be the undisputed king when it comes to modding, and consoles will continue to get the shaft.

I also look forward to someone who manages to find a way to brick a console via mods, then slips that in alongside something innocuous sounding then waits to see how many people destroy their systems with it.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 17, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Who wants to bet the dog dies in a scripted event near the end and it's supposed to be sad?

No way, they can't do that after I bought the Dog Armor DLC

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Well, it is.

my friend, pirating iOS apps is just as much of a joke as it is to pirate android apps

someone who is about to pirate an app knows how to jailbreak. it's an easy as gently caress process if you have even a little bit of computer proficiency. you can't have the bleeding edge iOS you're right, but every single iOS is cracked and jailbroken in about a month or so and thus is available to have poo poo pirated on it. Jailbreaking is as easy as googling whatever your iOS is and 'jailbreak' and then downloading a program that does it for you in minutes.

Once your poo poo is jailbroken it is literally just as easy as downloading something and hitting 'install.'

Sorry if you just can't figure it out or whatever but it really isn't much harder than figuring torrents out for the first time.

Idk if this still works since I don't have the new iPhone (I guess I could try on my friend's though), but you used to be able to just pirate the .apk or whatever the iPhone equivalent is onto your iTunes, and have iTunes sync it to your phone and your phone runs it thinking it is legit. No jailbreak required.

khy posted:

Just think of all the fun you'll have posting "Oh my sweet summer child..." when they are getting mad about figuring load order out

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

khy posted:

Gotta start somewhere. At least they're trying to implement it. Probably going to be a while before it works like it would on a pc and only CTD's once every 20 minutes instead of every 30 seconds.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
The best way to do it IMO is to just download the mods and organize them on your computer, and then once you have everything sorted out just load them on your console via USB.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

khy posted:

Well one thing is that it seems like the bethesda.net stuff will be another version of the Steam Workshop modding solution. Which means SEVERE limitations as to what you can and can't do with mods.

My greatest fear is that after the paid mods fiasco with Steam & Skyrim, Bethesda will find some way to restrict mods to Workshop or Bethesda.net. Valve already has said that paid modding was a good idea, their only mistake was trying to implement it on a game with a huge entrenched modding community. If Bethesda wants to get a slice of that sweet, sweet molerat titty money the first thing they are going to do is try to shutout :nexus: from the jump.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Imagine all the people who will be double dipping on this game due to consolw mods

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

The best way to do it IMO is to just download the mods and organize them on your computer, and then once you have everything sorted out just load them on your console via USB.

Yes, but you see, you don't have to BUY the mods from the Xbox/PS4 store that way, so the chances of it being allowed is somewhere near 0%.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

My greatest fear is that after the paid mods fiasco with Steam & Skyrim, Bethesda will find some way to restrict mods to Workshop or Bethesda.net. Valve already has said that paid modding was a good idea, their only mistake was trying to implement it on a game with a huge entrenched modding community. If Bethesda wants to get a slice of that sweet, sweet molerat titty money the first thing they are going to do is try to shutout :nexus: from the jump.

Bethesda isn't EA.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

it will be done in a way that can be easily prevented but a super mutant android will stop you and mention something about destiny.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nevets posted:

It's a safe bet we're going to see another attempt at pay-for-mods with Bethesda.net. But I doubt we will have to worry about Bethesda putting up restrictions like that.
I think that would require a pretty big overhaul of how their game handles plugins & overwriting assets, which would probably be a too big an investment in time & resources. And let's be honest: If Bethesda thought it could be worth the effort to put up DRM on plugins, they would have already done that ages ago just to protect their own DLC.

Scaring the nexus into not hosting FO4 mods via legal means is also unlikely. That would generate way too much negative press for too little gain.

khy posted:

I also look forward to someone who manages to find a way to brick a console via mods, then slips that in alongside something innocuous sounding then waits to see how many people destroy their systems with it.
FO4 will most likely use an updated version of Skyrim's papyrus script engine. So it will be trivial to create a mod that runs fine of the PC, but has a save-destroying-infinite-loop on the consoles.
Edit: Bethesda has to have noticed the poor coding practices in the Skyrim modding community though. I'm going to be really surprised if Bethesda doesn't check mods before allowing them onto the consoles.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 17, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

my friend, pirating iOS apps is just as much of a joke as it is to pirate android apps

someone who is about to pirate an app knows how to jailbreak. it's an easy as gently caress process if you have even a little bit of computer proficiency. you can't have the bleeding edge iOS you're right, but every single iOS is cracked and jailbroken in about a month or so and thus is available to have poo poo pirated on it. Jailbreaking is as easy as googling whatever your iOS is and 'jailbreak' and then downloading a program that does it for you in minutes.

Once your poo poo is jailbroken it is literally just as easy as downloading something and hitting 'install.'

Sorry if you just can't figure it out or whatever but it really isn't much harder than figuring torrents out for the first time.

Idk if this still works since I don't have the new iPhone (I guess I could try on my friend's though), but you used to be able to just pirate the .apk or whatever the iPhone equivalent is onto your iTunes, and have iTunes sync it to your phone and your phone runs it thinking it is legit. No jailbreak required.

the average person does not have even a little computer proficiency beyond day-to-day tasks and you're a fool if you think otherwise. the android barrier to entry is nowhere near the iphone barrier to entry. and no you can't sync cracked apps to non-jailbroken phones.

the numbers speak for themselves. they're still awful but orders of magnitude better than android (8-14x better)

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/05/monument-valley-developer-only-5-of-android-installs-were-paid-for/
http://www.cultofandroid.com/27547/android-piracy-outnumbers-ios-piracy-by-141-driving-devs-to-freemium-only-model/

if google gave a poo poo about developers and not just data mining they'd be actively trying to close these holes, but they either can't or won't

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 17, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I can't wait to shoot an assault rifle that looks like a Vickers machine gun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moridin920 posted:

someone who is about to pirate an app knows how to jailbreak.

There's a difference between "is about to" and "wants to". That difference for android is non-existent (more or less), while the difference on iOS is massive.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah that totally happened when they demoed the feature. You are not very bright, are you?

If you think any bit of that demo wasn't pre recorded specifically for that demo then no, I'm not bright at all.

Even if they manage not to screw up the voice actors, you're still going to get strangely chopped speech.

-Howard- I heard rumors that the bartender at, -Broken Hills-, is looking for somebody for an important errand! Let me mark it on your pip boy!

If your name is something like xXRazorManXx, be prepared to be called "Vault Dweller" or if they get really creative, they'll use your reputation with that group as your name. Captain, Billy Goat Herder, Wife Pimper, etc.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
The reintroduction of pipe guns is cool; makeshift weapons missing from FO3 felt really off since DC was supposed to be an incredibly rough place.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Blaming the ease of piracy on why they didn't develop Fallout Shelter for android concurrently with iOS is pretty fatuous. It's a free app.
They didn't do it because it's Bethesda and of course they didn't. His whole spiel about making the app was how in love he is with iPhones.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, and it's coming out for android anyways.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So... do you actually unlock stuff in Fallout 4 for playing Shelter, or is it just Whateverville: Fallout Edition? Cause if I never play another game with an energy mechanic it will be too soon.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So... do you actually unlock stuff in Fallout 4 for playing Shelter, or is it just Whateverville: Fallout Edition? Cause if I never play another game with an energy mechanic it will be too soon.

there is an energy thing to it but it cycles so fast its really not even noticeable. the whole game is just about clinging on to a failing hosed up vault. its kinda fun

its similar to sim tower except kinda harder if you want a comparison

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Or they'll be limited to incredibly basic mods so load orders won't be an issue. Looking forward to thousands of texture mods on the Xbone! :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Rodney-CK posted:

If you think any bit of that demo wasn't pre recorded specifically for that demo then no, I'm not bright at all.

Even if they manage not to screw up the voice actors, you're still going to get strangely chopped speech.

-Howard- I heard rumors that the bartender at, -Broken Hills-, is looking for somebody for an important errand! Let me mark it on your pip boy!

If your name is something like xXRazorManXx, be prepared to be called "Vault Dweller" or if they get really creative, they'll use your reputation with that group as your name. Captain, Billy Goat Herder, Wife Pimper, etc.

You know, I'm pretty sure the only NPC they talked about using your name in spoken dialogue is Cogsworth the Robot. I don't think they intended that feature to go beyond the one 'person' in the wasteland that has any kind of personal connection to who you were before the bombs fell and that people are reading too much into it.

In truth, it would b a very nice touch if the only one calling you by your real name in this strange new world is the only one that knew you from the old world.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I hope the institute makes a cyborg 50's greaser gang led by Robotch DeLoria.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Poolparty posted:

I hope the institute makes a cyborg 50's greaser gang led by Robotch DeLoria.
One reason out of many why this game would be better taking place after Fallout 3, and not concurrently like the footage seems to be hinting

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

SunAndSpring posted:

That's like betting if the sun will rise tomorrow.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

With any luck the dog will die in a scripted event and it's supposed to be sad, but then you can turn him into a bitchin' cyberdog.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

One reason out of many why this game would be better taking place after Fallout 3, and not concurrently like the footage seems to be hinting

What hints?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think that if the dog dies in a scripted event, it will actually be kind of sad, as I like the dog.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bicyclops posted:

I think the Elder Scrolls protagonists are about as close as you can get to blank slates, but I don't think Fallout (even New Vegas) has ever really tried for that. I can't speak for the first two, but 3 and NV definitely have characters with some amount of implied back-story, and I don't think it detracts from defining their personalities largely the way that you want to do it.

Yeah, admittedly the whole Ulysses thing gave a very specific background to the Courier, and the dialogue options in the game are varied but a lot have a similar tone (vaguely-badass and occasionally sarcastic, with a few "speaking to authority figure" options). The Courier does seem to have a kind of set personality, like a Clint Eastwood/Max Rockatansky type (or Imperator Furiosa if that's your thing), and you can decide whatever extreme of the Loner Antihero trope you want to use for your character.

Fallout 3's options though were usually all "be a bland do-gooder", "be a dick for absolutely no reason" or "talk about your dad". Fallout 3's Vault Dweller wasn't so much a blank slate as just a... blank. I guess what I'm getting at is it's nice to have colorful dialogue options or behavior options. It's nice to be able to pick from one of five flavors of sarcastic badass instead of "vanilla or piece of poo poo", and to kill whoever you like if that's your thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

What hints?
Family robot says 200 years have passed when you first meet him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sure the setting contemporary-ish to the previous two games is to try to reference a few familiar characters and maybe even have one or two of them show up, which does make it a shame that they seem to be sort of ignoring New Vegas.

• Locked thread