Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Not really. They supply us with bare minimum to broadcast national shows. Local news is completely up to us. The AP supplies a national election data feed to use, but we're on our own for anything state and below. Couple that with the fact that everyone in control leaves these decisions up to the chief engineer who does not give one single gently caress about anything that doesn't affect him directly, and you get this clusterfuck.

He told me to stay out of it and is making GBS threads on entry idea I have, but at least I'm trying something

Why are you not just talking with your GM directly instead of this clown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

TyrsHTML posted:

Get this in writing, step back, watch the fire and prepare for your new child. Let them dig themselves into another hole they seem really good at it.

This has been my tactic before, but I'm climbing out of this damned well. If it takes some effort to earn a few atta boys, so be it. If my idea crashes and burns, it's just par for the course around here. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let supervisor's apathy affect me anymore.

The way I see it, I can let things stay lovely and bitch about it, or I can do something, no matter how small, to make things happen.

Who knows, maybe I'll be responsible for the first non-hosed election coverage show in over a decade.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Election time is coming up, and we're waaaaaay too cheap to invest in actual election coverage software. Guess who has been tasked with figuring out a way for 20 users to simultaneously and constantly update data in a meticulously formatted .xls file? For the record, I have no idea how SQL and/or databases work. I am ashamed.

My current plan is to write up a simple program in VS that will write the data to a communal networked .csv (or .xls) file that will be read by our graphics system to update voting info.

I'm probably in way over my head on this. I've got three weeks before my second kid is born, and election coverage will be the first week of August. So that gives me three weeks to write this up, and then I'll be out on paternity leave while all this poo poo actually hits the fan :downs:
lol

If you want cool displays there is this thing http://d3js.org/ It is rad

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

My current plan is to write up a simple program in VS that will write the data to a communal networked .csv (or .xls) file that will be read by our graphics system to update voting info.

Then it ignores all the results tabulated above and just displays "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" for every race.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

larchesdanrew posted:

This has been my tactic before, but I'm climbing out of this damned well. If it takes some effort to earn a few atta boys, so be it. If my idea crashes and burns, it's just par for the course around here. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let supervisor's apathy affect me anymore.

The way I see it, I can let things stay lovely and bitch about it, or I can do something, no matter how small, to make things happen.

Who knows, maybe I'll be responsible for the first non-hosed election coverage show in over a decade.

Hearing about how your local station is run is a stark contrast to when I visited a local news station in a major market, 8million + residents. They had remotely operated cameras in the studio so no one was actually in there except for the news readers.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

We are trying to use IE 11 with <$ANCIENT_VERSION_OF_PRODUCT> and do not want to use compatibility mode for one application. However, when we don't use compaitibility mode we get the error below.

quote:

You must use Microsoft Internet Explorer to access <$PRODUCT>
There must be a browser check file that throws this error. Can you help us fix this issue please?
The product version they're using came out when IE9 was brand spanking new, and it wasn't compatible with it, either.

:sigh:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't compatibility mode in IE11 per site? Why would they not want to use it?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Alighieri posted:

Hearing about how your local station is run is a stark contrast to when I visited a local news station in a major market, 8million + residents. They had remotely operated cameras in the studio so no one was actually in there except for the news readers.

We toyed with the idea of robotic cameras. In the end, it wound up being a situation where they would have to hire two full-time camera operators and it's marginally cheaper just to have three or four part-timers manually operating the cameras.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Isn't compatibility mode in IE11 per site?
Yup!

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Why would they not want to use it?
I want to know this, too! Hopefully they get back to me shortly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alighieri posted:

I had a bit of a shock when I first learned about smaller TV channel providers.

"Yeah the uplink's in some shack in Guatemala somewhere, looks like their tape ran out. Uh, I gave them a call, nobody there speaks English so we gotta hope they figure it out themselves."

"Tape?"

"Yeah, they're using a VCR, they forgot to rewind it after the last showing of that program."

:what:

e: 5 minute later you see the provider rewind the tape without bothering to pull the feed, so you get to watch the entire program in reverse like it's 1995.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yup!

I guarantee they are "launching program in compatibility mode" for XP instead of using IE's compatibility mode.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Renegret posted:

I had a bit of a shock when I first learned about smaller TV channel providers.

"Yeah the uplink's in some shack in Guatemala somewhere, looks like their tape ran out. Uh, I gave them a call, nobody there speaks English so we gotta hope they figure it out themselves."

"Tape?"

"Yeah, they're using a VCR, they forgot to rewind it after the last showing of that program."

:what:

e: 5 minute later you see the provider rewind the tape without bothering to pull the feed, so you get to watch the entire program in reverse like it's 1995.
God I love that stuff.

I especially like finding full episodes of shows that are straight from vhs and STILL have the commercials.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KoRMaK posted:

God I love that stuff.

I especially like finding full episodes of shows that are straight from vhs and STILL have the commercials.

The goal is for us to get one of those "technical issue" slates up on the screen so our customers don't see the silliness that's happening, but it takes a long longer to do that than it takes for some dude in "Master Control" to press the rewind button. And is it really worth it to put up a slate when you know it's going to be back to normal in 2-3 minutes?

Now that we've entered the amazing world of the future, we get to see the splash screen for Samsung DVD players more often instead.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm not saying that larchesdanrew's stories are made up, but they sure sound to me like he's trapped on a bad sitcom.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

HardDisk posted:

I'm not saying that larchesdanrew's stories are made up, but they sure sound to me like he's trapped on a bad sitcom.

Welcome to IT in the deep south :downs:

So, it looks like Office Online live editing is the winner. Mocked up a test .xls file and had the graphics system pull the info over. Got a few people to open the document online to start updating data. Looks like OneDrive updates the file every minute or so. Right now, someone will have to manually drag the file from OneDrive to the data folder the graphics system pulls from, but this is a good thing since we'll have one or the other as a backup in case something happens to either.

The only issue now is that I can't really find anything about a limit on the number of people who can edit a file at once. Is there a limit? Looks like we'll have 15-20 people collaborating on this. Once we get the templates built and the .xls formatted, I'm going to be doing a mock run with the entire news team to see how it works

It's not fancy, but I think it'll be ok :shrug:

J
Jun 10, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket came in!

There must be a browser check file that throws this error. Can you help us fix this issue please?
The product version they're using came out when IE9 was brand spanking new, and it wasn't compatible with it, either.

:sigh:

Enable IE11 enterprise mode and use a sitelist via GPO, add $PRODUCT's site to the list, and see if $PRODUCT works under enterprise mode. If it does then you can just apply that GPO to the relevant computers they use and they won't have to worry about messing around with compatibility mode at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

HardDisk posted:

One of our clients used to own a CBS affiliate and we'd get brought in occasionally to look at issues their Chief Engineer couldn't handle. I can guarantee that nothing he posted is out of the ordinary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

Now that we've entered the amazing world of the future, we get to see the splash screen for Samsung DVD players more often instead.

Hey man, that's way better, then they can watch in rapt attention hoping to see if the logo hits the corner exactly.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in... *nix admin can't get a particular folder to mount and he doesn't know why. I ask what he's trying to mount, he doesn't know, just that it's supposed to be mounted and wants me to tell him why. No other statements expanding on that.
So I have him check automounts then as it must have been configured nothing there. So I get ready to do a remote sharing and in the middle of it he has to go and wants to call back later.
WTF

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 23, 2015

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Sorry to jump into this thread with an unrelated subject, but I'm looking for a hard drive out of an IBM PC 5150 / Intel 8085. Long story short, we have an old injection molding machine which had the HDD die yesterday and can't seem to put my hands on one in googling.

I figure one of you has to be in charge of some horrific graveyard where it might be located.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

c0ldfuse posted:

Sorry to jump into this thread with an unrelated subject, but I'm looking for a hard drive out of an IBM PC 5150 / Intel 8085. Long story short, we have an old injection molding machine which had the HDD die yesterday and can't seem to put my hands on one in googling.

I figure one of you has to be in charge of some horrific graveyard where it might be located.

Paging atomicthumbs.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Renegret posted:

The goal is for us to get one of those "technical issue" slates up on the screen so our customers don't see the silliness that's happening, but it takes a long longer to do that than it takes for some dude in "Master Control" to press the rewind button. And is it really worth it to put up a slate when you know it's going to be back to normal in 2-3 minutes?

Our TV stuff is mostly on computers now but when we ran things off our DVR style system for years and the video/playlist ended our setup would feed the DVR back into itself and make a fantastic loop image on screen until you turned it off.

And our night guy is an old man who doesn't know dick about how to do anything right so it happened just about every night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kurieg posted:

Hey man, that's way better, then they can watch in rapt attention hoping to see if the logo hits the corner exactly.

Hey listen the overnights can get very boring sometimes, we have to stay entertained somehow.

Haquer posted:

Our TV stuff is mostly on computers now but when we ran things off our DVR style system for years and the video/playlist ended our setup would feed the DVR back into itself and make a fantastic loop image on screen until you turned it off.

And our night guy is an old man who doesn't know dick about how to do anything right so it happened just about every night.

Fortunately for me, as long as the feed is up (so the channel has bitrate), there is moving content on the screen that's not macro blocking and audio is playing, we'll never know about it unless a customer calls.

That sounds like a lot to get right. Once again I'm impressed that things even work at all.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

c0ldfuse posted:

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

Try here, they're a reseller of arcane old equipment. You'll probably have to actually call them, not everything they have in the store is listed on the website, and I doubt a first-gen hard drive would be worth the trouble of listing since it's so niche. I bought a IBM 5150 from them a few years ago so they get that kind of stuff in every now and then.

Of course I maintain the authentic 5150 experience and have no hard drive in mine, dual 180K floppies are all you should ever need :c00lbert:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

larchesdanrew posted:

The only issue now is that I can't really find anything about a limit on the number of people who can edit a file at once. Is there a limit? Looks like we'll have 15-20 people collaborating on this.

Think this is what you are looking for:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#ListLibrary

quote:

Recommended maximum number of concurrent editors is 10. The boundary is 99.

If there are 99 co-authors who have a single document opened for concurrent editing, each successive user sees a "File in use" error, and can only open a read-only copy.

More than 10 co-editors will lead to a gradually degraded user experience with more conflicts, and users might have to go through more iterations to successfully upload their changes to the server.

That refers to SharePoint but should apply to O365 from what I can find.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Today I watched my CEO print an entire 200+-page powerpoint presentation.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

c0ldfuse posted:

If you are allowed to, I would recommend replacing the original hard drive controller with an XT-CF or XT-IDE board and then you can run your software off solid state storage instead of some old Miniscribe.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Grapeshot posted:

If you are allowed to, I would recommend replacing the original hard drive controller with an XT-CF or XT-IDE board and then you can run your software off solid state storage instead of some old Miniscribe.

Thank you and everyone else for the advice. We have one super intelligent and competent IT guy (out of three) and I overheard him complaining about how they couldn't find a replacement so I wanted to help out where I could. I could probably do it myself but it's not something I want to get too deeply involved in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off:

My application for BizSpark was just approved for my moonlighting gig.

Why, thank you Microsoft for granting me access to every single piece if software you provide, for free [for non-production use] and tens of thousands of dollars in Azure credits. That plus my internalized [free] AWS account makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

All this fun poo poo to play with!

Also, Windows 10 is pretty cool. They've even toned down the touch screen interface a ton and it's actually usable for non-touchscreen use.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm testing 10 for out fleet of Surface Pros. I'm nervously optimistic. the desktop/Tablet mode switcher might actually work.

*About Windows that is. 100 Surface Pros is going to kill me.

What is the Bizzspark application process like?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off:

My application for BizSpark was just approved for my moonlighting gig.

Why, thank you Microsoft for granting me access to every single piece if software you provide, for free [for non-production use] and tens of thousands of dollars in Azure credits. That plus my internalized [free] AWS account makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

All this fun poo poo to play with!

Also, Windows 10 is pretty cool. They've even toned down the touch screen interface a ton and it's actually usable for non-touchscreen use.
For all of MS's talk of win10 for everyone I've tried to install it on 3 (home) computers and only 1 worked well. Other two both got reverted to a real OS. and its releasing in what? 6 weeks? Something like that? LOL.
10 itself is a mild improvement on 7 and its come a long way since the first tech preview, but the install process, at least in my experience, has been dreadful.

And on a different note, whats with dell/MS not including OS license stickers on laptops anymore? I've got a batch of E7450s coming in, factory win7, without any key stickers to be able to non-VL wipe and reinstall on. They have a win8 pro logo sticker and nothing else. Not in the battery compartment, not underneath the access panel, not in the documentation, nowhere.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 18, 2015

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ilkhan posted:

For all of MS's talk of win10 for everyone I've tried to install it on 3 (home) computers and only 1 worked well. Other two both got reverted to a real OS. and its releasing in what? 6 weeks? Something like that? LOL.
10 itself is a mild improvement on 7 and its come a long way since the first tech preview, but the install process, at least in my experience, has been dreadful.

And on a different note, whats with dell/MS not including OS license stickers on laptops anymore? I've got a batch of E7450s coming in, factory win7, without any key stickers to be able to non-VL wipe and reinstall on. They have a win8 pro logo sticker and nothing else. Not in the battery compartment, not underneath the access panel, not in the documentation, nowhere.

Ave you checked inside the BIOS? It's probably part of the BIOS.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Ave you checked inside the BIOS? It's probably part of the BIOS.
Like actually visible in the bios?
I didn't even think of that.
I figured it was stored in the BIOS but not visible. I'll check in the AM, as that would be helpful.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Like actually visible in the bios?
I didn't even think of that.
I figured it was stored in the BIOS but not visible. I'll check in the AM, as that would be helpful.

It's not visible in the BIOS. Windows 8 uses SLIC 3.0 which stores the key and some other identifying hashes in a section called the MSDM table. There are a handful of different ways to extract it, search google,for "msdm viewer" and you should find some options.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yup!

From a user point of view - one of our client's browser applications requires IE9 but my laptop has IE11.

If I just add it to the compatibility list it locks it into IE7 mode which fucks the application just as badly as running it in IE11, the only way I've found to run it properly is to open the developer console which can lock the browser emulation to your choice of any IE between 7 and 11.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drink and Fight posted:

Today I watched my CEO print an entire 200+-page powerpoint presentation.

In lieu of actual notes for the people he was giving the presentation to?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ilkhan posted:

The days of key stickers are over - it's all embedded in the hardware now.

Just wipe it, install Windows 7 whatever, and it'll take care of activating itself.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Thats a great attitude (I was mostly joking, I know how hard you have been working to make improvements there), and hopefully you can affect real change, I just hope your supervisor wont just kill it after your done with all the effort. He sounds like he cares just enough to squash any attempt to end his very slacked off IT rule.

Volmarias posted:

This is probably a better question. You have mentioned getting friendly with your GM, how likely is it that you can just start all conversations at his desk instead of your supervisors?

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 18, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Because my talking to the GM is literally the same thing as going straight to my supervisor on a lot of stuff. I can go to the GM, but he's just going to turn right around and seek the approval of the Chief Engineer, who will then just poo poo all over whatever idea or plan and the GM will rub his chin and nod and say "yes, yes, I see how we can't budget a $50 powered portable blower and the best option is for larchesdanrew to tote around an air tank that he will have to refill every fifteen seconds."

BTW, that happened just last week. I dug my heels in and refused until I got a decent alternative. New blower is coming in today.

I'm quickly learning that if I stand up for myself, he backs down pretty quickly.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The days of key stickers are over - it's all embedded in the hardware now.

Just wipe it, install Windows 7 whatever, and it'll take care of activating itself.
And yet it doesn't. Which is why I mentioned it. Maybe I need a different source ISO. :shrug:

• Locked thread