Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In a game that has literally just Lightning but with a whip, I don't understand how Machina is still the worst character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like World of Final Fantasy is running on Silicon Studio's Orochi 3 engine. Many of us know Silicon Studios for the Bravely Default series but they're also a developer of middleware solutions aimed at mainly at Japanese developers and CG studios. Square-Enix previously used the Orochi 3 engine in Gunslinger Stratos 1&2 which were arcade games. They also used Silicon Studio's Yebis middleware for Agni's Philosophy and the pre-rendered trailer shown for FFXV at e3 2013.

For those keeping track of the engines currently used by Square Enix's Japanese developers:

Luminous Studios - FFXV
Unreal Engine 4 - Kingdom Hearts 3 (and allegedly the FF7 Remake by Cyberconnect2)
Crystal Tools - Dragon Quest X
Unity Engine - Various games
Custom Engine by Yoshihisa Hashimoto - FFXIV: A Realm Reborn
Oroichi 3 Engine - World of Final Fantasy

It's unusual for for publisher with an in-house engine to license so many different game engines for their internal development teams. Maybe former CTO Yoshihisa Hashimoto left because management was so promiscuous with licensed middleware and wouldn't invest enough resources an internal engine? Nevertheless, Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to be making good progress on Unreal Engine 4.

In comparison, the vast majority of the games recently announced by EA either run on Frostbite 3 or their sports centric Ignite engine. Both of them are developed internally.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Onmi posted:

So crossdressing in, but the game may deviate.

This is basically the best possible route for ReVII. Keep the stupid, don't be afraid to change stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CottonWolf posted:

Post-Midgar sure, but the Midgar section was predominantly dark metal and mud brown.

Without any of the lighting, yeah, but they put all kinds of neon filters over it so it would look more "Neo Tokyo dystopia" like Snatcher or something. My memory of Midgar is that it's actually a quite colorful place.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't wait for the slap happy cannon cat fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shinjobi posted:

In full glorious CG.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shinjobi posted:

i could never win those and i would aleays feel bad.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Steve2911 posted:

It's odd that he says he wants the game out so that people will buy PS4's before their next load of games are out. It almost sounds like they're planning to have it out before FFXV, KH3 and their other JRPG heavy hitters (such as I don't loving know).

No, what he said was he wanted the announcement out. Sony thinks it's going to be a system seller and has presumably paid a lot of money for the privilege. Thinking probably is you announce this in conjunction with all the other big ps4 stuff at e3 and all the games benefit.

Coversely, if they waited until say 6 months before release, the chance to bail out sales in Japan might be gone.

Fungah! posted:

i'd agree with the skip button though

Something like the X-HD options of Full / Short / Off would be great

Fungah! posted:

that's the thing, there's a lot of really good spectacle moments in ff7 that looked fantastic back in the day and are going to look totally insane on a modern system. ff7 doesn't have the deepest mechanics anyway, a lot of the game's about the spectacle and that's going to be top loving notch

Picture the level of fidelity applied to Ramuh in XV applied to the FFVII summons

qbert posted:

Maybe the remake will finally shed some light for me on just what exactly that couple was doing outside the train station.

Killing themselves

Also, I think it's probably a positive that there's a more or less firm deadline for this. They're going to have to get downright focused. The downside is while delay risk is then relatively low, the risk of cut or half-assed content becomes relatively high. The fast-good-cheap, pick 2 rule of software development (or anything really) comes to mind.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The thing about VII is that, ignoring everything else, it has an excellent sense of atmosphere. People remember the big events like Aerith and Meteor, but it's the tiny touches that make the game. Like the ever-so-slow fade in inside the train after the first bombing mission, Anxious Heart playing in the background, while everyone sulks. It's really cool how cinematic they tried to make the game with what limitations they had. My only concern is that they somehow can't replicate that sense of...whatever it is the original gave off.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

The thing about VII is that, ignoring everything else, it has an excellent sense of atmosphere. People remember the big events like Aerith and Meteor, but it's the tiny touches that make the game. Like the ever-so-slow fade in inside the train after the first bombing mission, Anxious Heart playing in the background, while everyone sulks. It's really cool how cinematic they tried to make the game with what limitations they had. My only concern is that they somehow can't replicate that sense of...whatever it is the original gave off.

it really nails the sense of imminent catastrophe that summoning of meteor causes, and all the different responses to it. imo the only game that outdoes it is persona 3 in the final acts

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lightning Returns is unironically better than all but 2 or 3 other ff games.

What the hell is world of FF supposed to be? Besides cute obviously.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

it really nails the sense of imminent catastrophe that summoning of meteor causes, and all the different responses to it. imo the only game that outdoes it is persona 3 in the final acts

Day 3 Majora's Mask is up there as well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The PC version looks and runs great as well.

I heard something about how the PC version ended up running at low fps sometimes because it was literally optimized too well and some graphics cards would go into low-power/sleep mode when you played it because they didn't recognize it was a videogame.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Shinjobi posted:

Don't forget Cloud beating up Aeris, which is especially great in that it's literally the last time the two physically interact with both parties still breathing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kanfy posted:

Don't forget Cloud beating up Aeris, which is especially great in that it's literally the last time the two physically interact with both parties still breathing.

Even better when she splits after that, which was half "gotta go save the planet" and half "holy poo poo cloud's psycho, peace out".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The trailer seemed pretty serious in tone. Will the occasional humor the original game carry through?

TN: The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hopefully some of the members of the original team remember what FFVII was, then. Because there are at least 3 of the original team that worked on it working on the remake.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In regards to changing things, Nomura specifically mentioned cutting things. I could see things like Fort Condor getting wiped, or even the huge Materia quest as a whole.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wouldn't mind if fort condor's stupid loving minigame had to be cut.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The bit with Mr. Dolphin better not be cut

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doc Morbid posted:

The bit with Mr. Dolphin better not be cut

That gets you somewhere important if I recall, but there were some loving stupid plotlines you had to deal with to advance the story. I'd rather see the game force the player to defeat the various weapons and turn poo poo like fort condor and Barret's home town into optional sidequests.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It does advance the plot, but it was also optional and you could skip the dolphin section by bugging the guy at the elevator. He eventually relents and lets you ride it if you pay him something like 5 gils.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Was the CPR section optional? That didn't have enough feedback

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just turn Fort Condor into a rail shooter segment or some poo poo, anything would be better than that slow-rear end minigame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If any part of FF7 could be cut and thrown in a garbage can without anyone shedding a tear, it's Fort Condor. It accomplishes nothing in terms of plot or theme besides giving us one more chapter in Bad Stuff Shinra Done Did, and the less said about the gameplay aspect the better.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

derra posted:

Was the CPR section optional? That didn't have enough feedback

I forgot about that. I was all for not cutting anything but gently caress yes cut that. Or make it any good.

I really like the Yuffie's hometown bit and am surprised people don't. Vincent's stuff was OK but needed to be fleshed out. He pretty much just joins your party and then there's one place you can go to later to hear more about why he's such a moody bastard?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The CPR wasn't optional, and it was terrible. At least you get a summon materia out of it.

I would dig a quicker variant on the Fort Condor minigame. Instead of spending your gil, you would just deploy your dudes instead. Cid would be strong vs Wyverns, Cloud and Red would be good against large enemies, Barret and Vincent would be your ranged, Tifa and Yuffie would wreck normal mobs. Crank up the RTS simulation speed or make it more similar to Ogre Battle movement, make the rewards really great... it could be really fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kanfy posted:

I honestly can't imagine that staying in. They edited out the guard beating Celes in the FF6 Advance port.

I mean, the game does get dark. But that's dark.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd say that bullshit on the train with Barret's folks is a close second.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raxivace posted:

FF8 didn't have the main villain's goal be a suicide by cop that would destroy the universe, with the party gleefully trying to kill the the villain while just hoping really hard it wouldn't end all of existence. Zell didn't randomly turn into a Hot Dog God either after betraying everyone either.

I'll take Barthandalus over Ultimecia any day. He's a good troll, and he's actually kinda interesting. I like the fal'Cie's whole god dynamic being totally subverted.

You might also recall that the Master Plan at the end of FFVIII was "let's help the villain achieve her goal she could never achieve without our assistance. Then we'll just hope that this allows us to kill her."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FF8 was basically that Ashton Kutcher movie Butterfly Effect except with a far less enjoyable main character, and that's not supposed to be a compliment to Kutcher.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

With narration by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I want lightning to return, again

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

I want lightning to return, again

I'm sortof hoping that one of the combinations of dresses/wigs/whatevers Cloud gets for his disguise in the remake just makes him look like Lightning.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
oh god drat it I know that shitlord Nomura couldn't keep his grubby mitts off the plot.

this is going to suck HARD.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nehezir posted:

oh god drat it I know that shitlord Nomura couldn't keep his grubby mitts off the plot.

this is going to suck HARD.

lol

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
here's the thing: FF7's story has not aged well. a great deal of why it's stayed under the radar for being a product of the 90s is that it's retro.

you update that poo poo and it's going to show stretch marks. add in the guy in charge of kingdom hearts, a story that reads like someone took a bunch of horny eels in ink and just let them run loose for an orgy, and the only hope possible is one you feed yourself.

brace your anus. mine is going into hiding when this poo poo biscuit churns itself out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nehezir posted:

here's the thing: FF7's story has not aged well. a great deal of why it's stayed under the radar for being a product of the 90s is that it's retro.

you update that poo poo and it's going to show stretch marks. add in the guy in charge of kingdom hearts, a story that reads like someone took a bunch of horny eels in ink and just let them run loose for an orgy, and the only hope possible is one you feed yourself.

brace your anus. mine is going into hiding when this poo poo biscuit churns itself out.

lol

Seriously though this is the worst post

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It's worth playing all three final fantasy 13 games in order atleast once. It's a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I want multiple endings. All the WRPGs I've played lately, as well as the Chrono games, have really made me love multiple endings.

Tragically there is no real way to replicate Chrono's approach to multiple endings, which was the best approach ever. "What would happen if you just went and killed the final boss without doing anything else?" That's actually a really fascinating concept. For FFVII, i would assume Shinra would create the Sister Ray, blow up any opposition (there will be no real opposition if the party kills Sephiroth early on) and then eventually the planet is drained dry.