Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Future Days posted:

On tonight's episode of 'Latin Americans can't have nice things':

My province's elections IRL, right now

(Santa Fe, Argentina)

And just look how happy he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Boner Slam posted:

Re: Cuban Healthcare

Here's an imgur (terrible I know) meme Q&A... thing... apparently by a Cuban doctor ?
https://imgur.com/gallery/Uv3jy

OK, these seem like outright lies right from the get-go. That first one, on the Cuban government declaring dengue eradicated, is completely bonkers. Dengue is still alive and well in the Caribbean, and while one isn't likely to catch it, getting sick from it isn't a big surprise. So the Cuban government declaring that it does not exist is a bit insane, even for insane communist governments that keep a tight lid on the flow of information.

Anyways, I have a bit of spare time this summer, so expect me to be posting periodical Puerto Rican politics updates! Mostly they'll consist of me scanning El Nuevo Día--the island's main newspaper, and also a rag--for any stories that look interesting. In tonight's episode: a politician is under investigation for using public funds to remodel his house!

http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/politica/nota/enproblemaselalcaldedecatano-2060331/ (spanish)

The short version:
José Rosario Cruz, the mayor of the town/municipality of Cataño, wanted to have his home remodeled in 2011. The project, which would cover 4,357 sq ft, was quoted to cost $82,000. At about the same time, he requested funding for building an office building that would be ~4,300 sq ft. Four years later, there's no office building that large, but the mayor is rocking a nifty new home.

Tune in for future episodes about :
-a steadily worsening drought
-our collapsing economy
-the buildup to the 2016 elections

and much, much more!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Future Days posted:

On tonight's episode of 'Latin Americans can't have nice things':

My province's elections IRL, right now

(Santa Fe, Argentina)

Did they at least manage to count the votes right this time? :v:

Edit: Del Sel called someone "clownish" :laffo:

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
For anyone wondering what is going on: there is a three-way split with each candidate being just a fraction of a decimal either above or below 30%. Everyone is accusing everyone else of fraud.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

For anyone wondering what is going on: there is a three-way split with each candidate being just a fraction of a decimal either above or below 30%. Everyone is accusing everyone else of fraud.

You'd think if one of them had committed fraud they'd have done it enough to win.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Badger of Basra posted:

You'd think if one of them had committed fraud they'd have done it enough to win.

Maybe all of them commited fraud at the same time.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Isn't there ballotage? We have ballotage for everything and not this?Also from what I saw two candidates were extremely close (less than 1%) while the other was farther away, but not by that much.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

It's Argentina, it is much likelier to count on all 3 being too inept to even do fraud properly.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
To bring the thread's focus away from the Southern Cone (cabrones argentinos :argh:) in less than a week the Dominican Republic is set to deport thousands of citizens who had the misfortune of being born after 1929 to Haitian (or Haitian-descended) parents. For those who don't know, there's historically been a pretty horrifying prejudice in the Dominican Republic against Haitians. Relevant articles:
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-kurlansky-haiti-dominican-republic-citizensh-20131110-story.html
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/6/17/dominican-republic-to-begin-haiti-deportations.html

Also time for Puerto Rico updates. Reminder for gringoons that the main sources for these are Spanish-language newspapers.
-the ongoing drought is predicted to be the worst in decades. Rationing is set to become the norm very soon unless we get some serious rainfall. http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/sequiapodriaconvertirseenlapeordelasultimasdecadas-2061577/

-the Puerto Rican economy is circling the shitter, and pretty fast at that. The island's government has taken on massive amounts of debt over the decades and, unlike other economies, it can't declare bankruptcy. At all. We've already had our credit rating downgraded a couple times in the last few years (I believe Moody's currently rates us at "lol") and pretty much all sectors look pretty hosed. About 68 public schools are going to be closed (which is actually good news; the original plan was to shut down even more!) due to education budget shortfalls. Governor Alejandro Garcíа Padilla insisted that, although he never considered shutting down the government, he has thought about declaring insolvency.

-one of the big issues for our economic woes is the fate of the Electrical Energy Authority (AEE; Autoridad de Energía Eléctrica), which is similarly flat broke. In past weeks, the government has pretty much cleaned out the previous AEE administration and put a new one in place to try to turn it around. One Puerto Rican congressman proposed privatizing energy production and changing the AEE's role to one of energy distribution as opposed to energy production.

-the pro-statehood political party NPP (New Progressive Party, spanish: Partido Nuevo Progresista aka PNP) is making noise about cajoling Congress into recognizing the 2012 referendum as a clear indication that Puerto Ricans want statehood. In other news: sky blue, water wet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That's why we cant have nice things

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's why we cant have nice things

Pro troll.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Probably a quip about his father in jail to go along with it too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:iamafag: La picardía del chilenshdk;cefdhj

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Help my dad is yelling that the US is wanting to take down the Brazilian president to take ARE OIL

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
gently caress. Yeah.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is actually terrible news.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Help my dad is yelling that the US is wanting to take down the Brazilian president to take ARE OIL

gently caress your oil, we're already the world's #1 producer. Why would we ever want dirty sugar ethanol when we gots corn?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Football schadenfreude best schadenfreude.

Actually it's the political kind that is the best, but that one only comes every so often. Like today! PS: gently caress Buenos Aires.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you live on the wrong side of the Andes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

If you live on the wrong side of the Andes.

Which side gets increased rainfall from climate change?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Latin American far left dot jaypeg

"This victory by the PRO (Center-right party) is a maneuver by the (Clarin, a media) corporation to divert attention from the visit of the Peronist pope to our America."

:shepface:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Didn't Peron had a huge loving beef with the Catholic Church though? IIRC during one of the Coups that took him down his supporters even torched churches.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Future Days posted:

"This victory by the PRO (Center-right party) is a maneuver by the (Clarin, a media) corporation to divert attention from the visit of the Peronist pope to our America."

Yeah Peronism seems to make me think is what would have happned if Huey Long had taken over the democrats.

BTW I saw this article on Gizmodo, being that we all loved Reagan Book and Freedom book, the place sounds wonderful. (Plus I despise evangelicalism as a general rule wherever it infests).

http://gizmodo.com/how-hard-is-it-to-get-kicked-off-brazils-sin-free-fac-1715979391

Gizmodo posted:

How Hard Is It to Get Kicked Off Brazil's "Sin-Free" Facebook?
Kate Knibbs
Filed to: O Holy Site 7/06/15 1:32pm

Evangelical Christians in Brazil are going louco for Faceglória, a new, “sin-free” Facebook knockoff for the very religious. Since launching a month ago, Faceglória has over 100,000 users pressing “Amen” instead of “like.” It also has strict posting policies: No swear words, no violence, no gay content or erotica, definitely no gory gay erotica. The emphasis on purity made us wonder: How hard is it to get kicked off South America’s holiest social site?

I made a profile to find out, choosing the digital mien of an ardent fan of the rap-rock pioneer and Florida native William “Fred” Durst. The Faceglória team has an automated moderation system that prohibits posting over 600 bad/offensive/swear words—if you try to publish a status update with an offending word or phrase, it won’t let you. After Googling “most offensive Brazilian Portuguese swears” I tried to tell my new Faceglória friends that they are fuckers, but I was quickly rebuffed by this system.

HOWEVER: It does not have a filter for English swear words, which means I could spout all the derogatory nonsense I wanted in my native tongue. To test the waters, I posted the lyrics to his group Limp Bizkit’s seminal 1999 anthem “Nookie,” which contains an explicit description of the emotional effects of cuckolding.

It went up without a hitch! I even got an “Amen” from one of my new internet friends. The posts on Faceglória aren’t so different than stuff you see on Facebook: Boring photo albums and inaccurate Morgan Freeman quotes abound, and none of my new friends so far have deemed it necessary to flag my sinful postings.

Faceglória is moderated by volunteers who scrutinize content for unholiness, including bikini selfies and photos with cigarettes and alcohol. Still, when I attempted a posting spree that checked off every no-no sinbox on the list, all of my posts went through.

I considered posting Goatse to truly test the outer limits of the community tolerance, but it makes me physically ill to look at Goatse so I didn’t do that. Instead, I went the full throttle Jesus erotica route.

Yet, still, my Fred Durst profile remained active, my feed full of exuberantly profane posts. The Facebook imitator’s content moderation is too full of holes to stay holy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Future Days posted:

Didn't Peron 'disappear' (kill) a whole load of Communists?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
So, Clarín made someone win the elections only so they could cover up that the Pope the government said was part of the dictatorship at first but now claim as one of their own is visiting Ecuador? Makes sense.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How long until the Pentecostals take over your country?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

How long until the Pentecostals take over your country?

When Cunha decides to coup and go full Nehemiah Scudder so in at least 2 years

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Didn't Peron had a huge loving beef with the Catholic Church though? IIRC during one of the Coups that took him down his supporters even torched churches.

Jonad posted:

Didn't Peron 'disappear' (kill) a whole load of Communists?

For all "Didn't Perón do [the exact polar opposite of what this peronist is saying/doing/supporting]?" questions, the answer is, invariably, "Yes. Your point?"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When Cunha decides to coup and go full Nehemiah Scudder so in at least 2 years

"Try me," Dilma says :getin:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

For all "Didn't Perón do [the exact polar opposite of what this peronist is saying/doing/supporting]?" questions, the answer is, invariably, "Yes. Your point?"

Political views are complicated, and left, right, and center aren't truly meaningful, especially with regards to Peronism. There are "propper" leftists who left a booby-trapped bust of Eva in a town square. They supported the poor and the unions, right? Well, kind of.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

A+ Puerto Rico posting.
Where do you fall on the statehood vs indepence spectrum?
Do you guys think you could square the circle if congress offered special constitutional amendments for Puerto Rico on ascension to statehood?
For the record I'm in favor of having Puerto Rico, Guam + the Northern Mariana islands become states and having either the virgin islands given to Canada or buying the British virgin islands from them to create a viable state. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Puerto Rico would be super ultra duper hosed if we became independent so I hope that never happens.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Puerto Rico would be super ultra duper hosed if we became independent so I hope that never happens.

Lobby the rest of us for statehood. You should want statehood enough that you make us grant it to you.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A pro-troll by Evo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

A pro-troll by Evo.

:eyepop:

thats pretty lf

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So I found this out from the Gaurdian that the dictator of Honduras is not suprisingly a corrupt sociopath and there was a huge protest there recently concerning his actions.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/04/honduras-protesters-stage-biggest-march-yet-to-demand-president-resign

Teh Grauniad" posted:

Honduras protesters stage biggest march yet to demand president resign

Estimated 60,000 Hondurans gather in capital Tegucigalpa for a sixth week, calling for Juan Orlando Hernández to step down over corruption claims
Protesters march on the Presidential House on Friday.
Protesters march on the Presidential House on Friday. Photograph: Fernando Antonio/AP

Reuters

Friday 3 July 2015 23.50 EDT
Last modified on Thursday 9 July 2015 13.04 EDT

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via Email
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Google+

Shares
Comments

Tens of thousands Hondurans poured onto the streets of the capital Tegucigalpa on Friday to demand the resignation of the president, Juan Orlando Hernández, in the biggest demonstration yet against the country’s leader over allegations of corruption.

An estimated 60,000 demonstrators, many holding torches, took part in the noisy protest that converged on the presidential palace for what was the sixth Friday-evening march in a row.

“No more corruption, JOH out,” protesters called, chanting the president’s initials.

A coalition of opposition political groups is demanding an independent probe into a $200m corruption scandal at the Honduran Institute of Social Security, where companies, some formed by institute officials, overcharged for services.

The opposition groups want an independent prosecutorial team staffed by foreigners, similar to a United Nations-backed commission that has led corruption probes in neighbouring Guatemala.

Hernandez has admitted his 2013 presidential campaign took $150,000 from firms linked to the scandal, but said that he and his party did not know where the money was from.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

So I found this out from the Gaurdian that the dictator of Honduras is not suprisingly a corrupt sociopath and there was a huge protest there recently concerning his actions.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/04/honduras-protesters-stage-biggest-march-yet-to-demand-president-resign

Some dailycaller spinoff website the intercept, cites Clinton and her State Department as "wanting the permanment ouster of Zelaya after all."

Source is dubious and the date of their articles is the day of the week it was published, so this could be in any time period around her email release.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

quote:

Mexican drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman escapes from prison again

Top Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, head of the powerful Sinaloa cartel, has escaped from a maximum-security prison for the second time, Mexican officials said as they launched a manhunt.

Guzman was last seen about 9pm Saturday in the shower area of the Altiplano prison, 56 miles outside Mexico City, according to a statement from the National Security Commission. He went to the shower area but security cameras lost sight of him. Upon checking his cell, authorities found it was empty.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/12/mexican-drug-lord-joaquin-el-chapo-guzman-escapes-prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
They forgot to mention the fact that he used a 1.5 km long tunnel to escape, complete with electricity, ventilación, and an adapted on-rails motorcycle to remove the earth.