Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

PantsOptional posted:

When I first came back to the game, I decided to sit in on a few matches to get a feel for the game. The first game I observed was between:

1) A dude with a tournament-competitive list; and
2) a dude who had spray primed some Tyranids, wore a tail of some kind, and ignored his child's complaints that he was hungry.

This told me everything I needed to prepare myself to start playing again.

"I see you appear to be dressed as a pony. Well... saddle up Seabiscuit, time to get ridden hard and put away wet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Somewhat less hearteningly, I think it was a fox tail.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

What you taking in those 9 pods?

That was my bugeater list.

Cluxus assassin
Fragioso dread
5 assault marines with 2 melta, combi melta, inquisitor with termi armor hammer/cannon, sang priest
6x 10 man tac squad, melta, combi, heavy flamer

My new list has combigrav sternguard instead of the assault marines to pick up wraithknights until I can use the new marine book. Then I'm in grav-cannon city.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

New SM codex in hand

Anyone got any questions?

Do you have an added spring in your step now that your wallet is $60 lighter?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

New SM codex in hand

What's the rundown on Scouts? Ballistic Skill/Points wise?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

That was my bugeater list.

Cluxus assassin
Fragioso dread
5 assault marines with 2 melta, combi melta, inquisitor with termi armor hammer/cannon, sang priest
6x 10 man tac squad, melta, combi, heavy flamer

My new list has combigrav sternguard instead of the assault marines to pick up wraithknights until I can use the new marine book. Then I'm in grav-cannon city.

Wait...Green Marines using Blood Angel rules? This heresy can not stand...

The Culexus is a nice touch though. More proof that standard tournaments need some sort of sideboard option. Just a couple hundred points to switch out if anything.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

90% of the strangers I've played 40k with were pretty cool dudes and less spergy than my friends. (Panascope)

There was this guy i saw a few weeks ago at my FLGS. It looked like he was just being trendy and wearing a super deep V-neck, which isn't out of the ordinary for Portland. But nah, the dude wasn't (completely) a dude and had a huge rack

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

What's the rundown on Scouts? Ballistic Skill/Points wise?

BS4 full marine statline, 11 points

Camp cloaks are now 2 pts each

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Drake_263 posted:

Hey, I seem to recall a mention about a FW email or customer service question about where FW units fit in Space MArine formations and the like some time back, could somebody point to it? I have 3 predators and 3 whirlwinds for my Death Guard loyalist remnants and one of my friends with a big wallet and poor impulse control is selling me an untouched Sicaran kit at ~40% off. If I could sub the Sicaran for a second Predator squadron I could field the Armoured Task Force formation, which would be approximately nine kinds of badass.

For terminators as troops (which you should use) I've found the best build is something like:
Leader w/ falchions & meltabomb
Grunt w/ Hammer
Grunt w/ Psycannon
2x Grunt w/ Sword

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Nearly every person I've played 40k with at this point has been overweight, or unreasonably thin(almost always in high school still). In terms of attitude I would say there is a higher percentage of functioning adults than previous geek hobbies I've played(MTG, ughhhhh). The way I carry myself has changed so much over the past ten years I have a lot of trouble relating to your average gamestore nerd, I usually have to prove my nerd cred, because I look so out of place these days.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

90% of the strangers I've played 40k with were pretty cool dudes and less spergy than my friends. (Panascope)

Eat poo poo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

New SM codex in hand

any changes to Legion of the Damned?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Moola posted:

any changes to Legion of the Damned?

Seem unchanged, I don't think they can take Grav-Cannons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My core group of playing friends are all home owners in the Bay Area, CA.

Renters need not apply.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm taking off work tomorrow to build my table I think

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Looks who's finally joining the times!

Graviton weapons are hopefully a good sign Dark Angels are heading in the right direction.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What's a good mix for a Tyranid Kill-Team? I may have found a buyer for my Nids (sorry, Broken Loose) and I figure it's worth it to keep a handful of models just for shits and giggles.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LingcodKilla posted:

Renters need not apply.

haahha - and considering housing prices in the bay area - that's saying something.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 17, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Kilo147 posted:

What's a good mix for a Tyranid Kill-Team? I may have found a buyer for my Nids (sorry, Broken Loose) and I figure it's worth it to keep a handful of models just for shits and giggles.

I've tried to put a decent one together but failed. Warriors are really your best option though. Instinctive behavior really hurts nids in kill team hard.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kilo147 posted:

Its actually really hard to put a fun nid kill team list together

Warriors or Zoanthropes basically

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Master Twig posted:

I've tried to put a decent one together but failed. Warriors are really your best option though. Instinctive behavior really hurts nids in kill team hard.

I was thinking of going with fairly tooled up warriors and ten gaunts.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Warriors and zoanthropes are both good synapse choices. Depending on the rules you roll with, raveners are loving scary. I think I was playing around with the red terror at one point for poo poo and giggles, but never actually ran him.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
HoR nid kill team has way more options and is way more fun

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

There was this guy i saw a few weeks ago at my FLGS. It looked like he was just being trendy and wearing a super deep V-neck, which isn't out of the ordinary for Portland. But nah, the dude wasn't (completely) a dude and had a huge rack

I appreciate the deep compliment breh

LingcodKilla posted:

Renters need not apply.

I too will soon join the land owning caste. Do I get a sweet jacket?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Moola posted:

HoR nid kill team has way more options and is way more fun

That's the one I was referring to. I've been told that the official rules suck. Should I just take out one squad of each before I sell the lot?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Indeed they do suck and are poo poo

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Making progress on that Tantalus - learning that large resin models are poo poo to put together (huge loving cracks), poo poo to paint on, and in general lead to a really rough product that I hope I can hide by simply painting away from the eye sores. :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

raverrn posted:

For terminators as troops (which you should use) I've found the best build is something like:
Leader w/ falchions & meltabomb
Grunt w/ Hammer
Grunt w/ Psycannon
2x Grunt w/ Sword

Hur.

Edit: To clarify, I got a whole bunch of rescue Marines from a friend of mine and ended up painting them as loyalist/pre-Heresy Death GUard - I blame just having finished Flight of the Eisenstein. Just playing them as bog-standard Marines, most likely using the Imperial Fists or Iron Hands chapter tactics.

(I've since then rebased him on a 32mm base)

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 18, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is it wrong and/or stupid to make my own chapter that's Black Templars except not black and less grimdark?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
make them the white templars and give them all pointy hoods

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it wrong and/or stupid to make my own chapter that's Black Templars except not black and less grimdark?

No, just do it. What colour did you go with?

And there are loads of crusading chapters. Just have it be one of them.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Kilo147 posted:

That's the one I was referring to. I've been told that the official rules suck. Should I just take out one squad of each before I sell the lot?

I like the official rules. They're fast and casual and a great way to introduce friends to the game. That said I've heard good things about the Heralds of Ruin rules too and I really dig Tactical Strike / Victory Is Vengeance if you're looking for something more complicated and long-running.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sulecrist posted:

I like the official rules. They're fast and casual and a great way to introduce friends to the game. That said I've heard good things about the Heralds of Ruin rules too and I really dig Tactical Strike / Victory Is Vengeance if you're looking for something more complicated and long-running.

Well, unless someone here wants them, it looks like I have a local buyer for my 250+ 2nd Edition and Rogue Trader tyranid models. I don't want to completely abandon them, so I figured I'd make a Kill-Team out of some of them so I always have 'Nids. I'll just take a squad of 5 from everything so I have something to paint, base, and gently caress around with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

I appreciate the deep compliment breh

I too will soon join the land owning caste. Do I get a sweet jacket?

A pair of jackboots made out of poors is mandatory wear.

I'm considering moving south of Everett and north of Seattle. Don't you have some goonham friends near there?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm considering moving south of Everett and north of Seattle. Don't you have some goonham friends near there?

We're definitely not friends with him.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

LingcodKilla posted:

North or south of Lynnwood? Either way, this is a nice area to live, even if there aren't enough game stores or warhammer players.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Thundercloud posted:

No, just do it. What colour did you go with?

And there are loads of crusading chapters. Just have it be one of them.

I dunno, I was thinking red, but my 3 other armies are red and black, (and metal for the necrons)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Me ya git. :orks:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Drake_263 posted:

Hur.

Edit: To clarify, I got a whole bunch of rescue Marines from a friend of mine and ended up painting them as loyalist/pre-Heresy Death GUard - I blame just having finished Flight of the Eisenstein. Just playing them as bog-standard Marines, most likely using the Imperial Fists or Iron Hands chapter tactics.

(I've since then rebased him on a 32mm base)

Welp, I totally quoted the wrong guy. That was totally supposed to be Fnordcircle above your post.

Phoneposting: Not even once. :downswords:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LingcodKilla posted:

Goonhams? I'm over on the Eastside, but I'm looking to sell my 'Nids. If you're up for Kill-Team action and are my way, hit me up.

• Locked thread