Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Regarding Keira, I totally do not remember getting the option to send her to Kaer Morhen. It seemed like letting her go would result in experiments on humans. Even if it was for the greater good of curing the plague it seemed a pretty easy choice at the time to stop her. Nek minnut shes throwing down I wish I had a save from then to refresh my memory of the exact conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dud root posted:

Regarding Keira, I totally do not remember getting the option to send her to Kaer Morhen. It seemed like letting her go would result in experiments on humans. Even if it was for the greater good of curing the plague it seemed a pretty easy choice at the time to stop her. Nek minnut shes throwing down I wish I had a save from then to refresh my memory of the exact conversation

You only get the option if you openly remind her that Radovid won't just forget her past or what she is just because she's got something to offer him. Then in the next dialogue when she rebuffs that you tell her that she won't be safe, after which she asks Geralt where she will go otherwise and you can tell her to go to Kaer Morhen instead. If you just tell her the former, you're forced to either let her go or fight her.

VolticSurge posted:

Does anyone know where to find the cave leading to the tree spirit ,so I can get the benefits of doing it early? I just talked to Gran, does that lock me outta said benefits or does that only happen if you talk to the Crones ?

It's at the base of the hill, just off the path leading away from the tree. There may or may not be a werewolf hanging out there.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is this game loading extremely slow all of a sudden for anyone else? It has been getting worse and worse over the patches. Now I spend at least 2-5 minutes on a loading screen and when I do get in game half the assets aren't loaded, textures and at the lowest possible, there are no shaders, insides of buildings are not even loaded. I have no idea what the hell is going on now and the game in unplayable cause it still force minimizes and wont come back or just plain crashes when it tries to load stuff a lot of the times.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I am a newbie to the whole Witcher series and is it just me or is the game assuming I know about these things?

How would I, as a player, know Radovid is a bad guy. Novigrad is under who now? Why would I have a preconceived notions about Nilfgaard and Temeria? Who's in control of Oxenfurt? Who's Yennefer and Triss and why should I care I want to be in love with them? What if I want to be Keira instead? She seems much cooler than those two squares.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jerichojx posted:

So I am a newbie to the whole Witcher series and is it just me or is the game assuming I know about these things?

How would I, as a player, know Radovid is a bad guy. Novigrad is under who now? Why would I have a preconceived notions about Nilfgaard and Temeria? Who's in control of Oxenfurt? Who's Yennefer and Triss and why should I care I want to be in love with them? What if I want to be Keira instead? She seems much cooler than those two squares.

Yes, who would have thought starting with the third game in the series, a game which asks if you want to import your save from the previous game at the beginning even, would leave you with questions about things it assumes you already know about.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

jerichojx posted:

There's a Glossary (press G if you're on PC) which should give you at least a little insight. Other than that, just look it up or roll with it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

jerichojx posted:

To be fair, in the previous games, Radovid wasn't a "bad guy". He wasn't even really crazy. He just had extremely selfish and expansionist motives. Now, six months after the end of Witcher 2, he has completely gone off the deep end and has started considering all magic users as kindling.

Honestly, I don't think people should be allowed to play Witcher 3 before playing Witcher 2. Witcher 1 is optional.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

jerichojx posted:

The easy way to put it is thus:
Redania in the game is unique and is probably the bad guy for the non-book lovers. It doesn't appear anything like this in any of the books or arguably even in any of the games.
Temeria is for the guys who've gone through the first two games.
Nilfgaard is the bad guy for those who've gone through the books. The leader is softened considerably from his position in the books, and is significantly more likeable.

Novigrad is a giant pawn for the purposes of this game.

Yennefer is the book romance and the one the book spergs and wiki spergs will go for (also people who loved Morrigan in DAO), and Triss is the romance option from the games and will be taken by the people who only care about the games and people who love redheads.
Keira is kind of a bitch.

Radovid is only like 10 years old in the books (exaggeration, but he plays a minor role and is basically treated like he's a 5 year old). Novigrad is an independent city, but is surrounded by Redania, which is ruled by Radovid. Oxenfurt is the capital of Redania.

Temeria is the land you played in in the games and is actually a somewhat toned down version of the xenophobic Redania in this game. It was invaded prior to the game by Nilfgaard, but overall you shouldn't have preconceived notions about protecting it. Broche (the guy, not Roach the horse) is one of the two deuteragonists in the second game who basically helps you do stuff in the name of Temeria, Thaler is a cool spy guy that you should like. Dijkstra is just a dick who you hurt after he tries to go full on with the stabby stabby and you learn his backstory in game.

Nilfgaard is the traditional big baddie of the books (and games, :hush:) and is ruled by Emhyr var Emreis the guy who does stuff on peoples places. In the books he is initially portrayed... weirdly - he is the actual father of Ciri and the movie, bad as it is, tells this story if I recall correctly - but later on becomes like this full-blown antagonist. In the books he wants to make a baby with Ciri (who is his own daughter), but in the game he is not that guy. At one stage he tells Geralt and Yennefer (who he's just told he wants to make incest babies) that he cannot let them live and then (after they have sex in a bathtub and talk about how sad Ciri will get) lets them go because reasons.

I'm not going to elucidate on Triss/Yennefer again because really... do you like pouty bitchy goths or needy greedy redheads?

Lareine posted:

Honestly, I don't think people should be allowed to play Witcher 3 before playing Witcher 2. Witcher 1 is optional.

Read the books, then get back to me.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Blue Raider posted:

theres that inlet with a full sized galleon and a dead bear on a funeral slab in the bottom left corner. no reason for it to exist or be there but there it is

I am very curious why the galleons appear as "usable boat" icons on the map. You can't use them obviously. There is the one you pointed out, then there is another in an inlet on one of the far eastern islands. Would be neat if the intent was to give Geralt a galleon as a "base" (perhaps DLC?)....I know he is a vagabond but does a mobile base count for not settling down?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Wait, the standard Wolf armor is level 14 but you have to get the diagrams at Kaer Morhen?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Wiseblood posted:

Wait, the standard Wolf armor is level 14 but you have to get the diagrams at Kaer Morhen?

I can't find the DLC in the steam store.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

If you beeline the main quest, you'd be probably just the right level. (Ignoring that you can't buy the first map without doing a level 20-odd quest anyway)

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Yes, who would have thought starting with the third game in the series, a game which asks if you want to import your save from the previous game at the beginning even, would leave you with questions about things it assumes you already know about.

Go eat a cock.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

CJacobs posted:

Yea gently caress him for not having played two video games. Stupid plebe doesn't deserve an explanation about what's going on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea gently caress him for not having played two video games. Stupid plebe doesn't deserve an explanation about what's going on.

This but unironically.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wiseblood posted:

Yeah, and there are level 27 wraiths guarding some of them there. The quest layout for that set makes no sense.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

jerichojx posted:

Redanian soldiers block your entry into Oxenfurt when you first approach and they're everywhere in the city. Your first day in Novigrad has a couple of people being burned alive, and through the plot many people place those actions at Radovid's feet. Your first meeting with Radovid has him acting pretty drat crazy and later interactions follow from that.

White Orchard has you deal with a Nilfgaard commander, you run into one of their generals and their emperor very early on. These interactions tell you about Nilfgaard.

Yennifer is very clearly intimately involved with Geralt from the first scene of the game. Triss' relationship with Geralt is elaborated through their conversations in the first few quests in Novigrad.

Basically, it's this: you are not roleplaying a faceless hero like in Skyrim. You're roleplaying Geralt of Rivia, who has an established history, and personality, and relationships, and the choices offered to you in the game are within those bounds. You may not like the choices Geralt wants to take but it's not like he gives a poo poo about you, the player. The game makes an effort to give context to all this stuff if you're doing quests and talking to people and looking for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I just beat the game. I'm super stoked that Ciri survived (assuming there's an ending where it's possible for her to die) but I would've liked it if they actually showed how she survived, defeated the White Frost, and came back. I get what they were going for at the end having her at the table and having it be a surprise, but they could've at least flashed back so I could see. I feel like they couldn't figure out how to get her out of that situation so they just went "eh whatever" and made it so we had to guess. Also, is there any way to stop Redania from taking over? I tried doing Dikjstra and that other guy, Roche I think was his name, but at some point after doing some errands for them, the quests just kind of stopped. It was great Ciri was alive, but now the Redanians are in control and killing everyone that's not 100% human. So many of my bros are gonna be killed :smith: In fact in the credits there's a picture of a Dwarf with a mohawk burning on a pyre who I assume is Zoltan, and then a shot of Dandelion and Priscilla are watching in horror :smith: I gotta look up the other endings now. Overall I am happy that my decisions I make during the game seemed to actually matter, although there still seems to be a ton of stories that are just kind of left open (I imagine the non human characters you're just supposed to assume are gonna be killed by racist assholes). Skellige at least is prospering, I got the right choice in queen there. :unsmith: Zoltan, you shoulda gone to Skelliga, brother :(

I feel like Avallac'h in particular was a really well written character.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You can totes get rid of Radovid.

Find Thaler for Dijkstra and Roche and TALK IT OUT with Dijkstra later when you have Philippa cornered in the bathhouse and he'll invite you to go shank the bastard once and for all.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I can't find the DLC in the steam store.

Just follow this link, log in and install.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I am level 33 and have put together the plot with zero knowledge going into it. I also mashed X through most cutscenes because all I really want to do is chop people in loving half and play gwent STOP TALKING TO ME DANDELION

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, and there are level 27 wraiths guarding some of them there. The quest layout for that set makes no sense.

The treasure hunts are pretty dumb in regards to levels. All but one bit of cat armor part 3 can be done at like level 14, then a level 26 golem guards one bit. The mastercrafted recipes for bear are guarded by a single level 26 cyclops but the suggested level is like 34.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can just run past that cyclops since the gear is behind a door he can't follow you through.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

You can just run past that cyclops since the gear is behind a door he can't follow you through.
I found that poo poo by accident because I ran and hid like a scared little girl when I found that cyclops at like level 19.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Do the treasure hunt quests give any XP at all anyway? I've never seen any XP gain notifications on them.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Macaluso posted:

So I just beat the game. I'm super stoked that Ciri survived (assuming there's an ending where it's possible for her to die) but I would've liked it if they actually showed how she survived, defeated the White Frost, and came back. I get what they were going for at the end having her at the table and having it be a surprise, but they could've at least flashed back so I could see. I feel like they couldn't figure out how to get her out of that situation so they just went "eh whatever" and made it so we had to guess. Also, is there any way to stop Redania from taking over? I tried doing Dikjstra and that other guy, Roche I think was his name, but at some point after doing some errands for them, the quests just kind of stopped. It was great Ciri was alive, but now the Redanians are in control and killing everyone that's not 100% human. So many of my bros are gonna be killed :smith: In fact in the credits there's a picture of a Dwarf with a mohawk burning on a pyre who I assume is Zoltan, and then a shot of Dandelion and Priscilla are watching in horror :smith: I gotta look up the other endings now. Overall I am happy that my decisions I make during the game seemed to actually matter, although there still seems to be a ton of stories that are just kind of left open (I imagine the non human characters you're just supposed to assume are gonna be killed by racist assholes). Skellige at least is prospering, I got the right choice in queen there. :unsmith: Zoltan, you shoulda gone to Skelliga, brother :(

I feel like Avallac'h in particular was a really well written character.

Are you loving kidding me? That makes it even loving WORSE. Aaaaahhh I really should have killed Radovid. gently caress neutrality.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are a lot of quests in this game, but I think there are some egregious oversights:

"It's rainin', put on yer tunic."
QUEST UPDATED

"Someone nicked me dolly!"
NEW QUEST

"Are you gonna kill the kickemores?"
NEW MONSTER CONTRACT

:3:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Do the treasure hunt quests give any XP at all anyway? I've never seen any XP gain notifications on them.

Nope.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Was it really necessary to split the Wolf armour hunts into 6 parts?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aurain posted:

Well, they did promise 200 hours to 100% the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Aurain posted:

I gave up after not being able to find two pieces; the one directly to the east of Kaer Morhen and one in Skellige in a fort surrounded by harpies. I couldn't find either so I just said gently caress it and I'm rolling with the swords on my bear armor. The swords are really good.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Levantine posted:

I gave up after not being able to find two pieces; the one directly to the east of Kaer Morhen and one in Skellige in a fort surrounded by harpies. I couldn't find either so I just said gently caress it and I'm rolling with the swords on my bear armor. The swords are really good.

The harpies one, you can actually walk on the palisades of the fort walls. The chest will be at one end.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

moot the hopple posted:

The harpies one, you can actually walk on the palisades of the fort walls. The chest will be at one end.

I figured that was the case but I couldn't find a purchase to climb up. The fort I'm talking about was like a wooden fort with a harpy nest inside, if that makes sense. I'd be more specific but I'm not in front of it right now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Levantine posted:

The one in Kaer Morhen is hidden behind some stalagtites (?). You can climb/jump over them (still ground level). I think it's on the right side from where you enter the cave.

Incidentally at the same cave, there's another cave opening very high above and it bugged the hell out of my exploratory nature, I couldn't get there but neither could I find another cave entrance outside.

The one in Skellige is on the ramparts, like mentioned, I managed to mash jump and climb up pretty much at the spot where the chest actually was.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Out of interest has anyone who was enough of an animal to let Thaler be killed in TW1 imported their save through to TW2 and then on to the Wild Hunt? In the unlikely case anyone has ever done this, what happens during the assassination questline? Also, you should be ashamed of yourself if you did this. Thank you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gilganixon posted:

Out of interest has anyone who was enough of an animal to let Thaler be killed in TW1 imported their save through to TW2 and then on to the Wild Hunt? In the unlikely case anyone has ever done this, what happens during the assassination questline? Also, you should be ashamed of yourself if you did this. Thank you.

Saw someone talking about this the other day actually. He's alive in TW 3 regardless.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Gilganixon posted:

Not only that he's also in the frying pan quest in White Orchard. Broken monocle on the floor and a letter full of swearing about negotiations. :allears:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aurain posted:

Saw someone talking about this the other day actually. He's alive in TW 3 regardless.

Good. He's a great character and I'd happily pay for an expansion to the game where you play as Thaler with all the noises Geralt makes after falling three inches replaced with uncontrollable swearing.

Caconym posted:

Not only that he's also in the frying pan quest in White Orchard. Broken monocle on the floor and a letter full of swearing about negotiations. :allears:

I didn't realise that was Thaler until way later on, because I am dumb.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there even a point in doing the Scavenger Hunts if I'm a disgusting pleb who only cares about armor stats instead of looks?
I mean, if they do indeed reveal NG+ at some point, I might need to get a different armor if I wanna spec differently but right now Griffin is the best for me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there even a point in doing the Scavenger Hunts if I'm a disgusting pleb who only cares about armor stats instead of looks?
I mean, if they do indeed reveal NG+ at some point, I might need to get a different armor if I wanna spec differently but right now Griffin is the best for me.

Nah they don't reward anything other than the schematics, although the quests will take you to some fairly interesting locations you might not otherwise check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm actually really enjoying the new Wolf School DLC because a bunch of the diagrams are in Kaer Morhen and take you around the buildings and through the history of the school and the witcher caste. And you really have no good opportunity or excuse to explore that map otherwise.