Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sharkopath posted:

If the remnants of the remnants of the remnants enclave show up again but this time you can join them and lead them to victory it will be the best of all possible fallouts.

The Enclave is your only hope of survival from both the Brotherhood floating in from DC and THE CANADIAN MENACE invading from the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love the new character creation.

The FO3/FNV system was.... awful. It'd look OK when you were still looking in the little screen but then you'd get in the wasteland and a girl who looked reasonably alright looks like THIS ingame

Hopefully the new char creator will help prevent such awful mishaps from occurring

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

khy posted:

I love the new character creation.

The FO3/FNV system was.... awful. It'd look OK when you were still looking in the little screen but then you'd get in the wasteland and a girl who looked reasonably alright looks like THIS ingame

Hopefully the new char creator will help prevent such awful mishaps from occurring

Ensuring that your character doesn't look like they've taken a shovel to the face is something I hope they've worked out as well.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
It looks, if the trailer is to be believed, like Bethesda has gone and borrowed from some of the more innovative FO3/FNV mods. Before the E3 announcement I was just thinking about how the story would be rear end, but now that's totally taken a back seat to how psyched I am for creating my own wasteland empire and tower-defense-ing the poo poo out of some raiders.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You think that's worse Oblivion Face in the old engine? You should have seen the freaks that walked D.C. with different colored heads on their bodies.

This poor girl is scarred for life.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Ensuring that your character doesn't look like they've taken a shovel to the face is something I hope they've worked out as well.

The problem is now I have to make two people look presentable at character creation, no I don't care if the other one is only in the game for two minutes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

You think that's worse Oblivion Face in the old engine? You should have seen the freaks that walked D.C. with different colored heads on their bodies.

This poor girl is scarred for life.

Christ, if there's one thing it bugged me the hell out about Fallout 3 is that, it looks so loving bad

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
Everyone is actually an android is actually perfect cover for the robot android character models.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Reminder that Fallout 4 is Chris Avellone Approved

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

frajaq posted:

Christ, if there's one thing it bugged me the hell out about Fallout 3 is that, it looks so loving bad

That's kinda spergy. You could just ignore it since it's the artists vision.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sharkopath posted:

If the remnants of the remnants of the remnants enclave show up again but this time you can join them and lead them to victory it will be the best of all possible fallouts.

You find the Enclave headquartered in a cramped office in downtown Boston, run by the Enclave's Associate Deputy Outreach Coordinator for the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area. Desperate for relevancy, he hires you as an unpaid intern and tasks you with improving the American government's image. Over the course of your quest, you will be asked to walk around the streets of Boston in a barely functioning mascot costume piece of power armor to improve local patriotism, file paperwork with the Boston City Council, and convince poor Vault dwelling schmucks to sign up for the Enclave's mailing list.

If you complete all of these duties successfully, you will be rewarded with a freshly made Enclave t-shirt (+1 Charisma).

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 18, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jack Ketch posted:

There also seems to be a Brotherhood airship/command carrier I assume, called Prydwen falling out of the sky in the video.

Those smuggo bastards, naming their airship after King Arthur's boat.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I dont suppose whether or not we have any word regarding paid mods yet, do we?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SunAndSpring posted:

Those smuggo bastards, naming their airship after King Arthur's boat.

Do we know it was Brotherhood? I would be amused if it was the British invading again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bholder posted:

I think since everybody was crying how the Brotherhood are supposed to be assholes not good guys, they are going to be the one of the enemies this time.

I'm about to revisit the Brotherhood on my latest playthrough, but were the Brotherhood that bad even in New Vegas? I mean they had geek-cred celebrity Felicia Day voicing a perky, friendly Brotherhood member and she was all "we're just so misunderstood, living in the past, maybe you can help my people see the error of their ways!". I mean, I'm doing an NCR run (only because I haven't done one yet, I hate Colonel Moore only slightly less than Caesar) and they're asking me to Kill 'Em All and I'm pre-emptively feeling bad about it. But maybe I'll be reminded why they're so bad once I do that whole questline.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At that point, the Brotherhood are basically beaten in the West, so killing them is kind of kicking an old dog, even if it's a dog that used to be the size of a small bear and eat people.

Lots of people resent them for putting a bomb collar on your neck and making you run errands if you didn't have Veronica to vouch for you.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

Do we know it was Brotherhood? I would be amused if it was the British invading again.

I dunno, but you can bet the quest to destroy it will refer to the Boston Tea Party.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wait I know what I'll do, I'll play Dead Money before I go into the Hidden Valley bunker. Then I'll want to loving destroy anybody in blue robes or power armor. :black101:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

King Vidiot posted:

Wait I know what I'll do, I'll play Dead Money before I go into the Hidden Valley bunker. Then I'll want to loving destroy anybody in blue robes or power armor. :black101:

Or you could talk to Hsu and negotiate a treaty between the NCR and the Brotherhood. That really pisses off Moore.

I also consider the fan mod that lets you convince House not to blow up the Brotherhood to be canon.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

If you help out the Brotherhood in New Vegas, their ending slide has them mugging travelers and traders for their energy weapons and other technology. The Outcasts in FO3 are the ones who stayed true to what the Brotherhood is SUPPOSED to be. In FO1 the Brotherhood send you on a suicide mission, as a joke, for daring to ask to join them. They have no constructive goals, their entire motivation is stealing and hoarding technology to 'protect' the uneducated savages outside from it. The only reason they aren't overtly villainous is that there is always a bigger threat (Super Mutants or the Enclave) to play them against. Personally I'd love it if they were the bad guys in this one, would dovetail especially well with the almost-certainty that you're an android.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 18, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The BoS are clearly assholes from the lore in FNV (plus in FO and FO2, but just talking about FNV here). They waged a totally unnecessary and bloody war against the NCR following FO2 and then once the NCR got back on its feet and got the BoS under control, they nuked the NCR's gold stockpile to get back at them. The BoS lore (outside of FO3) is nothing but hoarding technology, exclusivity and/or outright hostility, and despite being flush with resources, manpower, and know-how absolutely refusing to help anyone or do anything creative/positive.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If you help out the Brotherhood in New Vegas, their ending slide has them mugging travelers and traders for their energy weapons and other technology. The Outcasts in FO3 are the ones who stayed true to what the Brotherhood is SUPPOSED to be. In FO1 the Brotherhood send you on a suicide mission, as a joke, for daring to ask to join them. They have no constructive goals, their entire motivation is stealing and hoarding technology to 'protect' the uneducated savages outside from it. The only reason they aren't overtly villainous is that there is always a bigger threat (Super Mutants or the Enclave) to play them against. Personally I'd love it if they were the bad guys in this one, would dovetail especially well with the almost-certainty that you're an android.

Hell, even the good ending where they ally with the NCR has them force the NCR to give them back all the power armor they took for them sending one guy to the dam in a lovely T-45D to give token support to the fight.

It'd be cool if the BoS in this act like the BoS in Tactics: imperialistic and holier than thou, but accepting of outsiders and willing to help those who bend the knee.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The BoS lost their goal a long time ago, at the moment that something like the NCR rises they have no goal anymore. One fallout game scenario I imagine was in the middle of an agreement where the BoS, the remnant of the enclave and NCR is trying to become something akin to what the US government was back then to fight a new threat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Seashell Salesman posted:

The BoS are clearly assholes from the lore in FNV (plus in FO and FO2, but just talking about FNV here). They waged a totally unnecessary and bloody war against the NCR following FO2 and then once the NCR got back on its feet and got the BoS under control, they nuked the NCR's gold stockpile to get back at them. The BoS lore (outside of FO3) is nothing but hoarding technology, exclusivity and/or outright hostility, and despite being flush with resources, manpower, and know-how absolutely refusing to help anyone or do anything creative/positive.

Where was there talk about nuking a gold stockpile? I don't remember that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

One thing I liked about New Vegas a lot was that it showed that the Brotherhood's own policies are going to guarantee their extinction. Since societies of meaningful power and organization are starting to take hold again, they can't bully people around with impunity like before. As new research is taking place in those real societies while the Brotherhood is still pouring over centuries old blueprints with little innovation, their technological advantage is shrinking. Their insular nature means that they only gain new recruits from children of previous ones (or the very rare wastelander), so their already small numbers are shrinking even further.

The slow restoration of the world is a death knell for their little club and they know this, but can't bring themselves to break away from tradition enough to actually change things even when game changing technology is practically gift wrapped for them as Veronica's attempts showed.

Meanwhile, the DC branch is thriving because they tossed out the rulebook and actually decided to do something useful instead of wasting away in a hole.

I'd like to see them cross the line into full on villainy. Let some leader realize that the times are passing the Brotherhood by and try to stop the advancement so they could become relevant again, bringing in all the remaining outposts (aside from the DC branch) to do it while they still have enough combined power. They only work if everyone else is an uneducated scavenger in a dead world, so they'll drat well do something to reset the clock to suit their era.

Basically I want them to become the Enclave 2.0.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 18, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

I dont suppose whether or not we have any word regarding paid mods yet, do we?

Nothing confirmed. Bethesda and/or Steam (can't remember whose representative said it) said that they had to pull the paid mods for Skyrim because it "wasn't the right crowd" and the Skyrim community was too established to implement it in, so some are taking this to mean that Fallout 4 will be when they start with paid mods from the get-go.

But again, nothing has been confirmed either way. It's also not like they wouldn't already be doing it with an "established community", since I bet the majority of Fallout 4 players will have already played 3 or New Vegas beforehand.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't think it's mentioned in the game anywhere (may be cut dialogue) but the lead dev mentioned it a couple of times; it's mainly just a bit of Lore to help explain why the NCR dollar is falling out of favour and everyone uses caps.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

chitoryu12 posted:

Nothing confirmed. Bethesda and/or Steam (can't remember whose representative said it) said that they had to pull the paid mods for Skyrim because it "wasn't the right crowd" and the Skyrim community was too established to implement it in, so some are taking this to mean that Fallout 4 will be when they start with paid mods from the get-go.

But again, nothing has been confirmed either way. It's also not like they wouldn't already be doing it with an "established community", since I bet the majority of Fallout 4 players will have already played 3 or New Vegas beforehand.

It has been confirmed, there will be no paid mods.

Fallout Shelter is making more money than Candy Crush Saga. http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/fallout-shelter-app-passes-candy-crush-saga-on-the-top-grossing-mobile-games/

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think it was sometime between 2 and 3? Might be mentioned in NV, but yeah. That's why you stuck to NCR Funbucks for all of FO2, then go right back to bottle caps.

2house2fly posted:

I don't think it's mentioned in the game anywhere (may be cut dialogue) but the lead dev mentioned it a couple of times; it's mainly just a bit of Lore to help explain why the NCR dollar is falling out of favour and everyone uses caps.

Or this, yeah. Cut dialogue or Word of God.

Edit:

Yaos posted:

It has been confirmed, there will be no paid mods.

Fallout Shelter is making more money than Candy Crush Saga. http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/fallout-shelter-app-passes-candy-crush-saga-on-the-top-grossing-mobile-games/

Jesus gently caress, a game where you sim a doomed vault outdoes a game about candy.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
On thing I really, really hope they include is the faction system from NV, and not the good/ evil karma bullshit. I want to work with the Outcasts and not be labeled an rear end in a top hat or whatever and get rejected by a town 50 miles away. This is one feature that if not included will actually hamper my enjoyment of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd like that if they iterate the idea a bit more so you don't get murdered by an entire town if your rep is even one degree into the red (also maybe adjust some values so just killing one dude (who deserves it, even) doesn't send you all the way to max negative rep). Ditto firing squad for the offense of picking up a soda off a desk.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Walking 'cross the desert, when suddenly Boone caps someone I don't even see, and suddenly I'm Khan enemy number 1.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ToxicAcne posted:

On thing I really, really hope they include is the faction system from NV, and not the good/ evil karma bullshit. I want to work with the Outcasts and not be labeled an rear end in a top hat or whatever and get rejected by a town 50 miles away. This is one feature that if not included will actually hamper my enjoyment of the game.

Keep in mind, there was Karma in NV as well. It was just (conveniently) not connected to much outside of a few dialogue choices(I think) and the Level 50 perk you got. But yeah, more things where Karma is meaningless in the longshot, please.

Oddly enough, I did find sabotaging Joshua Bright's rockets fun.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lotish posted:

Walking 'cross the desert, when suddenly Boone caps someone I don't even see, and suddenly I'm Khan enemy number 1.

They deserve it

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The Fallout 4 crew was doing more panels and interviews during E3.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3a830j/i_met_todd_howard_again_today_talked_about_voice/

Confirmed customizable playlist for your base, hopefully your pip-boy. The app for your phone has a real time map other games have had, and can control everything just like the in-game pipboy. Your dialogue choices change your character personality, although it's not clear what this means; maybe replacement for karma? They teased Fallout Shelter in a Fallout 3 trailer. This was confirmed by Todd Howard so it's not some crazy fan theory unless he's just trolling.

Edit: Somebody else noticed your responses are color coded according to the Bone gamepad buttons. Green is nice, Red is mean, yellow is a question, blue is neutral.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

I'd like that if they iterate the idea a bit more so you don't get murdered by an entire town if your rep is even one degree into the red (also maybe adjust some values so just killing one dude (who deserves it, even) doesn't send you all the way to max negative rep). Ditto firing squad for the offense of picking up a soda off a desk.

It feels like it would be best with a mixture of karma and reputation, with both balancing to determine whether you're hostile and get penalties or bonuses from the locals. It should be possible to be respected for helping a town, but still greatly disliked and distrusted for also being a thieving bastard when you're there.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yaos posted:

Your dialogue choices change your character personality, although it's not clear what this means; maybe replacement for karma?

Edit: Somebody else noticed your responses are color coded according to the Bone gamepad buttons. Green is nice, Red is mean, yellow is a question, blue is neutral.

Oh my god, it's the Dragons Age 2 personality system. This is loving hilarious.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The disconnect between what Todd Howard wants (a good story that meshes perfectly with open-ended and open-world gameplay) and what Todd has done (forced the player to have a set voice and restrictive backstory, as well as restricting dialogue to just 4 buttons) is about as wide and vast as the Grand Canyon.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Everything about that new info sounds cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

The disconnect between what Todd Howard wants (a good story that meshes perfectly with open-ended and open-world gameplay) and what Todd has done (forced the player to have a set voice and restrictive backstory, as well as restricting dialogue to just 4 buttons) is about as wide and vast as the Grand Canyon.

shitler

• Locked thread