Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silvain posted:

Yokai is the new Pokemon for Japanese kids right now.

Yeah, it's a juggernaut. I don't think it's nearly as engaging as Pokemon but it's not hard to see why it's been such a huge success for Level-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

il-landier posted:

Is Star Fox 64 3D worth picking up from the eShop sale?

Yes

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, it's a juggernaut. I don't think it's nearly as engaging as Pokemon but it's not hard to see why it's been such a huge success for Level-5.

It's huge in Japan, but I honestly doubt it'll be anywhere near as successful in the states.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just saw the end bits of the treehouse where they played Yokai Watch and the RPG fight against that boss looked so engaging and fun and how it manages your team of six creatures is so interesting that I sort of just abandoned pokemon right on the spot (helps that I just couldn't bring myself to finish Alpha Sapphire because of how in love I got after trying SMT IV for a lil while). I feel like a total hipster.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Hipster has lost having any real meaning.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Did they announce a release date for the new fire emblem?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

Did they announce a release date for the new fire emblem?

Just "2016", probably first half of the year

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

Yokai Watch hasn't been out in America yet but in Japan it is literally the best-selling thing Level-5 has ever done and outsells Pokemon. It's kind of weird they haven't localized one sooner tbh

They're localizing the toys and anime too, so its all gotta wait for the stars to align and they can push everything out at once for the holidays.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Apparently Disney Magical World 2 was announced for Japan; no US or EU details yet. More information on July 6.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Amazon already has a preorder link live for Paper Jam; my faith in the M&L series is considerable enough that I one-clicked it. (I am the guy who even likes Partners In Time; not only was it the first game in the series I played, but I really liked the way it used the Rumble Pak to help give you a little more tactile feel for when to press the requisite button.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're localizing the toys and anime too, so its all gotta wait for the stars to align and they can push everything out at once for the holidays.

If this thing can supplant Pokemon in Japan, it can potentially do the same over here. I don't blame them for putting their eggs in this basket because if it works they'll get one hell of a payday on top of creating yet another generation of faithful Nintendo customers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only thing they're missing is the ability to run it on over the air TV channels before school thanks to the FCC pretty much killing cartoon blocks. Hopefully they don't lock the anime to Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon and cable subscriptions for online streaming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zonekeeper posted:

If this thing can supplant Pokemon in Japan, it can potentially do the same over here. I don't blame them for putting their eggs in this basket because if it works they'll get one hell of a payday on top of creating yet another generation of faithful Nintendo customers.

I don't think it'll do the same over here because so much of Yokai Watch's success is tied to the toy/medal bullshit and I don't know that there's the same audience for it outside of Japan.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I don't think it'll do the same over here because so much of Yokai Watch's success is tied to the toy/medal bullshit and I don't know that there's the same audience for it outside of Japan.

You seriously don't think there's a market for cheap plastic trinkets here in america? Especially cheap plastic trinkets with a collectibility aspect that can be easily worn to school and shown off to other kids?

Like, I'm not going to guarantee it will take off, but it follows the same formula as pretty much every big fad aimed at 7-12 year olds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dehry posted:

The only thing they're missing is the ability to run it on over the air TV channels before school thanks to the FCC pretty much killing cartoon blocks. Hopefully they don't lock the anime to Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon and cable subscriptions for online streaming.

I haven't looked into it, but i'm half-sure it'll air alongside Pokemon in Cartoon Network.

It's not quite the same, but Sonic Boom the cartoon airs on CN at saturday mornings (when Pokemon does, idk if back to back or hours apart) and it's doing so amazing that Sega is making a sequel for the 3DS game, so there's some success to be had there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it worth playing Starfox 1 and the leaked 2 if I can get 64 3D?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, Star Fox runs at about 10fps and was impressive for the time and hardware but has aged worse than first gen PS1 games. SF 2 is much the same only buggy and unfinished.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More Best Buy pin bullshit - these ones are a pre-order bonus:

EDIT: "Pre-order offer valid from June 17–July 11. Your coupon for the 7-button set will arrive in December 2015."
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gaming-...gbR9E4ucmkhsO1g

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Pre order bonuses are such bullshit. You would have to buy 7 games to get every pin there.

Sakurazuka posted:

No, Star Fox runs at about 10fps and was impressive for the time and hardware but has aged worse than first gen PS1 games. SF 2 is much the same only buggy and unfinished.

Hmm, good to know. I might still dabble with 2 since it looks nice visually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

Pre order bonuses are such bullshit. You would have to buy 7 games to get every pin there.

Might want to re-read that. Pin set, not just one :v:.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Might want to re-read that. Pin set, not just one :v:.

Ooooh. Even then my math was wrong. I'd need to preorder 14 games. :downs:

I might hop on this then since I plan on getting a handful of those games.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Was there anything at E3 for the next Ace Attorney game?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A general rule for anything Nintendo and E3 related is: if you expected it, it probably didn't happen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

Was there anything at E3 for the next Ace Attorney game?

Nothing on Ace Attorney, nothing on any of the Monster Hunter games, they weren't even talking about the 3DS version of Megaman Legacy Collection.

I don't think there have been any third-party 3DS announcements that didn't come out before E3.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Need a recommendation, goons. I'm wavering between A Link Between Worlds and Star Fox 3D on the E-shop. One you would point me towards over the other?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nothing on Ace Attorney, nothing on any of the Monster Hunter games, they weren't even talking about the 3DS version of Megaman Legacy Collection.

I don't think there have been any third-party 3DS announcements that didn't come out before E3.

It really was all about first-party titles at e3, so hopefully we'll see the third-party stuff in the next Direct :ohdear:.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Between that, Rhythm Heaven, and Dragon Quest 8, all my localization dream are dead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

soupcan58 posted:

Need a recommendation, goons. I'm wavering between A Link Between Worlds and Star Fox 3D on the E-shop. One you would point me towards over the other?

Link Between Worlds, for sure.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

soupcan58 posted:

LBW if you're a Zelda fan. I'd only recommend SF3D if you haven't played the original or just love the hell out of Starfox. But if you love Starfox and are also a Zelda fan, I'd get LBW.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Between that, Rhythm Heaven, and Dragon Quest 8, all my localization dream are dead.

To be fair, we did get quite a few reveals in the lead-up to E3 - Legend of Legacy, Popolocrois x Bokujo, MM Legacy (even though it's probably redundant), DBZ Extreme Butoden, etc - and I suspect we'll be hearing about Rhythm Heaven sooner rather than later, Nintendo is just dumb about E3.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

To be fair, we did get quite a few reveals in the lead-up to E3 - Legend of Legacy, Popolocrois x Bokujo, MM Legacy (even though it's probably redundant), DBZ Extreme Butoden, etc - and I suspect we'll be hearing about Rhythm Heaven sooner rather than later, Nintendo is just dumb about E3.

Legend of Legacy gonna own

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I have no idea what a Brave Tank Hero is but the GameXplain dudes played it at E3 I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPwFO2Uuzk

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Brave Tank Hero and Gacha Racing are some budget Arksys eShop games that Natsume picked up for whatever reason.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Any games on that 30% sale to avoid, or are they all good if I haven't played them or the equivalent games in the past? How's the online population for Animal Crossing, or does that not matter?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

Any games on that 30% sale to avoid, or are they all good if I haven't played them or the equivalent games in the past? How's the online population for Animal Crossing, or does that not matter?

AC thread here is still fairly active: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622716

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also Stella Glow. There's no way Style Savvy sequel isn't coming to America. As for Ace Attorney & Rhythm Heaven, I think we'll see them next year. Ace Attorney is not even out in Japan yet and it takes at least a year to localize; it didn't have GREAT odds of showing up this week. Rhythm Heaven is a unique case as the songs have to be re-written and re-recorded in English, and I imagine that one is not given the same high priority in the Treehouse as games like Xenoblade Chronicles X which have mountains of text to translate.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's a good RPG for someone who hasn't really played one besides Dragon's Quest 8 and Stick of Truth? I'm looking for something light and easy with a decent story to ease me in.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Housh posted:

What's a good RPG for someone who hasn't really played one besides Dragon's Quest 8 and Stick of Truth? I'm looking for something light and easy with a decent story to ease me in.

Any of the Mario RPGs work. Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, or even tne game outright called Super Mario RPG.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ace Attorney is not even out in Japan yet and it takes at least a year to localize; it didn't have GREAT odds of showing up this week.

Man remember when Dual Destinies came out here only 3 months after Japan? That was amazing. I wish that could've become a regular thing.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

soupcan58 posted:

Another goon vote for LBW, my only complaint with this game is you can't roll with hero mode right from the start to make it more challenging... SF3D seems way too short to be worth it, unless you haven't played the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If I played AC:WW 3 or 4 years ago too much will I enjoy New Leaf or have I probably experienced everything the series has to offer.