Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PT6A posted:

I had a few drinks this evening and took a cab home. The cabbie had no idea where he was going, and managed to actually reverse down a busy street to take the exit he should've taken.

I once had a cabbie who tried to drive the wrong way on a divided highway to avoid a DUI checkpoint. The cops who pulled him over were not amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Very simple one today, car (legal but daft) was in my lane overtaking a cyclist as I was pulling onto the road. My vision (and hers I guess) was blocked by stupid giant SUVs and vans parked on the road. Definitely caught me off guard first thing in the morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJr-73FELo

[edit] as an aside: can people with huge cars and vans and trucks NOT park right next to driveways and corners please? You almost cause so many accidents.

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're right,. she should have predicted that you were going to pull out onto the road without looking both ways. What a oval office, you should have honked your horn at her.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't you dare suggest some bit of culpability in the driver, lest you be accused of defending the other dick.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not sharing the road much anymore I guess

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's an awfully sudden drop-off.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

You're right,. she should have predicted that you were going to pull out onto the road without looking both ways. What a oval office, you should have honked your horn at her.

Im right about what? I didn't say anything that you could respond to, besides parking huge cars next to driveways.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

`Nemesis posted:

Not sharing the road much anymore I guess

And to add insult to injury, the driver's door got bent around the wrong way

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cage posted:

I dont see an issue unless someone hits you.

that's...THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS! :argh:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've backed down lots of sketchy river boat ramps in montana. Not sure how people manage to do that on nice ones. I do put it in 4wd though to make sure I don't spin the tires and slide back on the way out.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

Over here the poster would be 100% at fault for pulling out on a road while there is traffic. Even if they didn't predict someone overtaking.
Especially since it's from a driveway.

And yeah it sucks when people park so close, but I guess you are poo poo out of luck since it's at a driveway?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I am now adding the Jesus Fish sticker/tag to my list of emblems to watch out for for bad drivers.

Also how is it that there are cars in 2015, luxury cars at that, and people are using their phone rather than a Bluetooth?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am now adding the Jesus Fish sticker/tag to my list of emblems to watch out for for bad drivers.

Also how is it that there are cars in 2015, luxury cars at that, and people are using their phone rather than a Bluetooth?

Any type of sticker/emblem/tag/scratch/dent is an indicator of a bad driver. Complete debadging is also a good indicator. You're really only safe with a stock car that gets washed once a month or so.

Also, the rules don't apply to rich people. Everything is there for them to take, and most people bend to it, that's why they're rich.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

tuna posted:

Very simple one today, car (legal but daft) was in my lane overtaking a cyclist as I was pulling onto the road. My vision (and hers I guess) was blocked by stupid giant SUVs and vans parked on the road. Definitely caught me off guard first thing in the morning.

[edit] as an aside: can people with huge cars and vans and trucks NOT park right next to driveways and corners please? You almost cause so many accidents.

You're supposed to creep out really slowly until you *can* see traffic approaching from both sides. Giant SUVs parked along the road don't make it easy. I think parallel parking should be disallowed on most residential streets because it truncates space and fucks up visibility.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My apartment complex, albeit gated, is all parallel parking (unless you cough up $40 for the 1.5 story parking garage) and it's miserable; after 6:00 there's no space to park and you better hope someone isn't going the other way because there's no room to pull over.

I've only been here for a month but I expect to see a few accidents.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

tuna posted:

I will side with you on this one only because I think it was quite ignorant of the other driver to overtake a bicycle at an intersection. SUVs next to the corner sucks, it sucks even more because I'm pretty sure there is a legal minimum distance you are supposed to be away from a corner just for this case.

*Edit* Didn't realize that was a driveway when watching the video. So yeah, pay more attention when exiting your driveway I guess.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 18, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Had a pretty good one on the way in to work today.

I'm first in line in the outside lane of a double left turn. Prius is in the inside lane. We get our arrow and start to proceed through the turn. Some dummy in the oncoming lanes decides she's going to make a right on her red and proceeds to cut me off. Had I not jumped on the brakes, she'd have a nice Mustang-shaped dent in the side of her Mountaineer. I give her a honk and a finger, she gives me the classic "sorry" wave. She then immediately proceeds to change lanes to the left (no signal, of course) and cut off the Prius as well. He gives her the "what the gently caress?!" hands and we all drive on. I didn't look over to see if she had her phone out as I just wanted to hammer down and get the hell out of her bubble of stupid.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some lady go nuts on me for not attempting to undertake a semi (one of those huge ones, like moving truck size) on a traffic circle with 2 lanes and a wide truck skirt. The truck took up the entire circle by itself, no way to get around it on either side. Once it was out she zoomed around me and proceeded to tailgate it and try to get around it only to barely miss oncoming traffic twice before I turned off. Some of yall are truckers, right? Do many people seriously try stupid poo poo like that often?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 18, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm not a trucker but my brother is. Sees that poo poo all the time. Heaven help you if you're coming up to a red light and there's a semi in the lane next to you. Cue people speeding and riding up on the truck's rear end to get in front of you so they don't have to deal with a semi in front of them slowly accelerating up to the limit for ten seconds longer than a car.

Anytime someone has a car in front of them they automatically assume that it means they will be late for their destination.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Arriviste posted:

If there isn't any other nearby traffic to disrupt/annoy I will start with gradually deaccelerating by cruise control until I'm going as low as 40. If :sparkles: on the phone doesn't catch on, I pop back up to 55. The required treatment is usually a couple of doses, then I get the finger from mad :sparkles: as she (sometimes he) gets the message and finally passes me *BbbraAAAPpp*.

I've done the opposite, slowly pushing them up to 90mph or more until THEY realize how much of a zombie they're being and slam on the brakes. The moment of realization is very obvious and funny.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

I will side with you on this one only because I think it was quite ignorant of the other driver to overtake a bicycle at an intersection. SUVs next to the corner sucks, it sucks even more because I'm pretty sure there is a legal minimum distance you are supposed to be away from a corner just for this case.

It wasn't an intersection, he's just pulling out of his driveway.

edit: it wasn't a chicken... it was a baby! :qq:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
gently caress you, squirrel. Cleared the oncoming lane and stopped in the middle of the lane. I had already slowed down to a crawl because of it running across the road. I'm coming up on it and it just sprints out in front of me. I hit the brakes and wait for it to clear. The cop sitting in his parked car probably just shook his head.

You loving lucky squirrel. Lucky there was absolutely no other cars around and the speed limit was only 25. Otherwise...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might have been a young squirrel because typically they're very good about avoiding traffic. He probably hadn't learned what cars are quite yet. :v:

This one route I drive commonly, I'll even see a squirrel waiting at the side of the road for me to drive by. Watch my mirror after I go by and it's scampering across the road. They can be better pedestrians than humans.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

This one route I drive commonly, I'll even see a squirrel waiting at the side of the road for me to drive by. Watch my mirror after I go by and it's scampering across the road. They can be better pedestrians than humans.

Squirrels have more common sense than most people do.

:cripes:

I'm now doing 300+ miles a day, and i see so much dumb poo poo that i mean to post in here, but then i see more and more dumb poo poo and forget it all. I run into too much of it to remember it all.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

It wasn't an intersection, he's just pulling out of his driveway.

edit: it wasn't a chicken... it was a baby! :qq:

poo poo. . . I think it's strange to see reverse parking in a driveway (I dislike reverse parking in general) but that street must really suck to live on. At least form the video, it didn't look like Tuna was just flooring his jeep out onto the road, it's not the worst driving I have seen.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

poo poo. . . I think it's strange to see reverse parking in a driveway (I dislike reverse parking in general) but that street must really suck to live on. At least form the video, it didn't look like Tuna was just flooring his jeep out onto the road, it's not the worst driving I have seen.

Its legal for her to overtake. Like I said viz was bad and I did enter the road slowly. I think what happened was mid-overtake she saw my nose poking out and decided to floor it to complete the overtake rather than slow down. No biggie, just uploaded it because it was the first thing I saw while coming into contact with the road and shocked me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

tuna posted:

My parents' neighborhood is like this - people parked on both sides, mostly giant trucks and SUVs, and it's a pain in the rear end to see around them. I've had idiots come barreling around near-blind corners and almost hit me head-on because they were going too fast and couldn't see around a parked car. Even worse when people park on both sides of the street and leave a barely car-width lane in the middle to move through, I wanna kill whoever designed the neighborhood and didn't put up a "no parking" sign on one side of the street.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

My parents' neighborhood is like this - people parked on both sides, mostly giant trucks and SUVs, and it's a pain in the rear end to see around them. I've had idiots come barreling around near-blind corners and almost hit me head-on because they were going too fast and couldn't see around a parked car. Even worse when people park on both sides of the street and leave a barely car-width lane in the middle to move through, I wanna kill whoever designed the neighborhood and didn't put up a "no parking" sign on one side of the street.

On the other side of the coin this is a quiet residential street in my town:

I find wide, quiet roads strangely beautiful and soothing sometimes... Why are the lanes so wide? Who knows... a lot of the streets around there are like that, and many don't even have markings painted because you could easily have cars parked on either side and still drive 4 cars abreast down the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Though there's a few common widths used all over the country (and maybe world) once you get more detailed than 12 feet per lane, the exact standards for street width is a local decision. It probably comes down to whatever the long term growth plans were when the community was platted, or maybe the town had a lot of extra money to burn on asphalt.

I know I'd be wary about buying a house on a street that wide, if the area is growing it's gonna get turned into a major road someday.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Though there's a few common widths used all over the country (and maybe world) once you get more detailed than 12 feet per lane, the exact standards for street width is a local decision. It probably comes down to whatever the long term growth plans were when the community was platted, or maybe the town had a lot of extra money to burn on asphalt.

I know I'd be wary about buying a house on a street that wide, if the area is growing it's gonna get turned into a major road someday.

It depends. In Phoenix most of the older communities have pretty wide streets, because it was common to park on both sides of the street and the designers made the roads wide enough to accommodate that and two cars passing between. My parents street is not as wide as the one pictured, but it's quite wide.

As developers focused more and more on scratching the last penny out of each acre of a development, the alleys went away, and the streets narrowed to the minimum width allowed by local code, so that they could fit an extra row of lots on the far end of the development. My street is narrow enough that it's tight for a single car to fit through if there are normal cars parked on both sides of the street, because it's a newer development (about 10~11 years old).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

There's nowhere to grow to! It's in the center of town, it's one of the oldest parts of town, and there's no open land nearby for development. An aerial photo from 1955 shows that part of town already fully developed, and one from 1936 shows the streets already laid out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's nowhere to grow to! It's in the center of town, it's one of the oldest parts of town, and there's no open land nearby for development. An aerial photo from 1955 shows that part of town already fully developed, and one from 1936 shows the streets already laid out.

There's a couple of those where I grew up in pre-wii neighborhoods. They either had tram lines or were expected to have tram lines back then.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

xzzy posted:

Though there's a few common widths used all over the country (and maybe world)

I forget what piece of road, maybe broadway in NYC, or some famed road in europe, but the street was laid out to make enough space for a six horse wagon team to make a U turn. Wherever it is, somebody in the 18th century was doing some proper thinking.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

dee eight posted:

I forget what piece of road, maybe broadway in NYC, or some famed road in europe, but the street was laid out to make enough space for a six horse wagon team to make a U turn. Wherever it is, somebody in the 18th century was doing some proper thinking.

Isnt that all major roads in Salt Lake City?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

As developers focused more and more on scratching the last penny out of each acre of a development, the alleys went away, and the streets narrowed to the minimum width allowed by local code, so that they could fit an extra row of lots on the far end of the development. My street is narrow enough that it's tight for a single car to fit through if there are normal cars parked on both sides of the street, because it's a newer development (about 10~11 years old).

I'm slightly surprised your neighborhood doesn't have restricted parking like mine, then - the streets in my neighborhood are about as narrow as possible too, but they only allow parking on one side of the street. People usually seem to obey that too so you don't often have to deal with two cars parked on opposite sides of the same bit of street.

As far as "the people you share a road with", lately I seem to be getting a lot of people who, in heavy freeway traffic, aren't paying much attention until I actually merge into their lane. I'll be sitting in my lane, blinker on, waiting for enough room. Once there's enough space to merge safely, I start to do so, and when I get halfway into the lane, suddenly the person who is now behind me remembers they have a gas pedal and tries to block me out.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Jesus Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6BOTz8TM8A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

"He gave me the finger, what else could I do?"

Hmm... let's see... well, pretty much anything but what you actually did.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

"He gave me the finger, what else could I do?"

That guy is a terrible human being, but I admit that I laughed out loud when he said that.. "What else could I do?". Unbelievable.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sat behind a car at a red light. The protected turn to our left turned green while ours was still red. The guy was clearly not paying attention 'cause he just drove straight forward through the red. I know that sometimes people will let off their brakes and jump back on when they realize that it wasn't their light that turned green, but this guy... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Ya know, I didn't quite believe the "construction flaggers are too stupid to operate a shovel" talk, but today changed my mind. I was sitting in traffic on a normally two lane road that was closed down to one lane so that work could be done on the median. While I'm sitting waiting for the light to turn green, an ambulance comes up from behind in the coned off lane with the lights and sirens going. All the construction workers got the gently caress out of the way, except for the flagger. The ambulance swerved around em into the start of a turn lane, with the horn blaring. The flagger looked more concerned about the knocked over cones than anything else.